Author Topic: Do you play the WP Chrome Lottery?  (Read 5663 times)

Offline DrDeal

Do you play the WP Chrome Lottery?
« on: November 15, 2015, 05:35:19 AM »
WP Chrome holds first place in my opinion in terms of the rarest cards that can be pulled from a recent release. SuperFractors and Alter Art/ Mixed Up-Up Character cards are some of the lowest production cards Topps has ever done. Who buys boxes from time to time to try to see what they might find? So far I have only purchased one box outside of my Original Purchases. I own one Mixed Up Character Card (Quacker Oats Duck on the Koduck Card. Thanks Brad!)  and One Superfractor (Brittle purchased on Ebay).  Now that Collector boxes can be had for $50 shipped buying more is tempting. Based on current resale values I don't think one is likely to recoup their investment if they pull One Gold, Two Blues and a Sketch from their box; so buying boxes is more about going for the jackpot card. If I pulled one I would likely keep it. I know many here feel Superfractors and Altered Art Cards/ Mixed Up Character Cards are a waste of time/ manufactured rarity. I respect that; just looking for thoughts as I ponder buying more Chrome boxes.  The rush of pulling a super rare card never gets old for me. I remember pulling the Smokin Joe Demented Desert 4 card Panoramic Sketch Set out of an ANS pack last year.  Time slowed down......Things got fuzzy...then I smiled. That's what its about for me. Its the same reason hunters hunt. (I don't hunt animals-only Wackies  ;) )  Since we have not seen a WP Chrome Superfractor listed on Ebay since last December; buying boxes would be the only way to have a shot at acquiring one  (Very long odds though).

Regards,  Andrew
« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 11:55:58 AM by DrDeal »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Do you play the WP Chrome Lottery?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 05:46:53 AM »
I bought extra chrome boxes hoping for a mixed up character card, and ended up with zilch.  And there's no one looking for inserts, so I've got everything boxed up and put away.  I've even got an extra refractor set.  It stopped being fun, and I'm focusing on original Wackys now.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 06:50:10 AM »
I bought a few of the bonus boxes awhile back, hoping to get the last X-Fractors for a set. (I never see the ones I need on eBay: 43 & 44) No such luck though. Looks like I'll always be short a couple cards for a complete X-Fractors set.

I always thought your Demented panorama was a kitchen counter top, as there's nothing really to indicate it's a desert. Just my view.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 06:52:42 AM »

I always thought your Demented panorama was a kitchen counter top, as there's nothing really to indicate it's a desert. Just my view.

HUH?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2015, 11:55:26 AM »
I bought a few of the bonus boxes awhile back, hoping to get the last X-Fractors for a set. (I never see the ones I need on eBay: 43 & 44) No such luck though. Looks like I'll always be short a couple cards for a complete X-Fractors set.

Here it is in case you havn't seen it before. Desert Demented 4 card Panoramic Sketch set by Smokin Joe.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2015, 01:01:46 PM »
Here it is in case you havn't seen it before. Desert Demented 4 card Panoramic Sketch set by Smokin Joe.

??
Of course I've seen it before. Numerous times.

Like I said, from my viewpoint, it appears to be tomatoes strewn about a kitchen countertop or a table. It looks nothing like a desert.
That's just me though.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »

Like I said, from my viewpoint, it appears to be tomatoes strewn about a kitchen countertop or a table. It looks nothing like a desert.
That's just me though.
[/quote]

Looks like a desert from the slope of the surface and the way the tomato debris is strewn.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 05:51:34 PM »
I'm really confused. What does the way tomatoes are strewn have to do with a desert?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 08:10:48 AM »
I'm really confused. What does the way tomatoes are strewn have to do with a desert?
Yeah, haven't you ever heard the old saying "Strewn tomatoes does not a desert make"?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 08:21:19 AM »
Yeah, haven't you ever heard the old saying "Strewn tomatoes does not a desert make"?

Welcome to "The Great Desert Tomato Controversy"

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 11:20:22 AM »
Perhaps Smokin' Joe cuold chime in and settle the debate once and for all............

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 12:03:19 PM »
Welcome to "The Great Desert Tomato Controversy"

I think its like that blue/gold dress controversy... just a matter of perspective and imagination and a trick of lighting.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 12:07:12 PM »

that's hilarious

I’ve always thought because of the curved horizon line, and the splatter inflections, the can of tomatoes had crashed like an asteroid onto the surface of a planet or moon.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2015, 03:13:04 PM »

that's hilarious

I’ve always thought because of the curved horizon line, and the splatter inflections, the can of tomatoes had crashed like an asteroid onto the surface of a planet or moon.

Maybe it's Arrakis, the desert planet.  Or maybe it's a counter top on Arrakis, the desert planet. 

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 03:32:39 AM »

that's hilarious

The Splatter Inflections indicate the desert environment.

Offline BAM

« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 06:29:18 AM »
My approach with the ANS wackys is to just buy a complete set of the "plain" ones + the bonus stickers and call it a day.