Author Topic: Ultra Pro Team Bags  (Read 6046 times)

Offline BAM

Ultra Pro Team Bags
« on: November 13, 2015, 04:12:43 PM »
I recently got back into Wacky Pack collecting, having been an original Wacky Pack collector when I was a young boy in the early 1970s.

Thanks to Paul_Maul and others, I have quickly learned some of the basics of collecting and preserving sports and non sports cards.

One of the first things I learned is the basic combination of a penny sleeve and top loader (nod to Paul_Maul). This combo seems to be the de facto standard, unless you go to the expense of getting your card/sticker professionally graded and slabbed by PSA or equivalent.

Penny Sleeve/Top Loader offers a great deal of protection, but I recently discovered that you can take it one step further by placing them in a Team Bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwI31Sf2VzI

The Team Bag not only protects the card/sticker itself, but protects the (somewhat expensive) top loader from getting scratched and prevents the card/sticker from falling out.

I'm in, and all my non-slabbed original series Wackys will be preserved in a penny sleeve/top loader/team bag.

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Ultra Pro Team Bags
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 04:43:57 PM »
I don't use team bags in the way you describe, but they are great for storing an unopened pack, using a top loader as a "backing board."

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 04:48:34 PM »
...like this:

Offline BAM

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 05:12:06 PM »
More great advice. Thanks Paul_Maul.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 05:13:56 PM »
all my non-slabbed original series Wackys will be preserved in a penny sleeve/top loader/team bag.
Dude, just throw them in a cigar box wrapped in rubber bands and be done with it!

IMO, the sleeve/loader/bag is overkill, but to each his own...

I probably speak for others here, but if I did this for my keepers, I wouldn't have enough space to keep them all. I know I'm opening a can of worms, but my keepers are just in 9 pockets in binders. This works for me. Again, everyone does what makes them most comfortable and is affordable, dollar-wise and space-wise.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 05:28:36 PM »
I don't see a need for the bag on an individual sticker. But some of us OCD guys just like supplies :)

Offline drono

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2015, 07:40:52 AM »
Dude, just throw them in a cigar box wrapped in rubber bands and be done with it!

I always love the smell of a cigar box.  I had many baseball cards stored this way as a kid.  I don't have any these days, but I wonder if the smell of the box was ever absorbed by the cards.  Is "smell" a grading factor at PSA?

Offline BAM

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 03:57:17 AM »

Hey, that *was* my storage method back in 1974.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 05:34:43 PM »
Hey, that *was* my storage method back in 1974.
You guys are making me wish my father smoked cigars back in the day.  (Not that he does now). Or did you get empty cigar boxes from the store?

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 07:23:14 PM »
My Uncle owned a bar, there were plenty of "Ditch Masters" boxes to go around. I still use 2 of them for my rolled wheat back cents.

Offline drono

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 08:23:27 PM »
You guys are making me wish my father smoked cigars back in the day.  (Not that he does now). Or did you get empty cigar boxes from the store?

My dad used to get them, along with a lot of other stuff that I never really thought about as a kid.  After I got older, I began to wonder if he was Hendley from The Great Escape.

Offline BAM

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 06:24:40 AM »
My dad smoked a pipe and chewed tobacco. Mom was a two pack a day cigarette smoker even when she was pregnant with me. I was never put in a car seat (no such thing), and never wore a seat belt until I was in high school. Never wore a helmet when I rode my bicycle (which was everywhere). When dad was outside working (which was all the time), I had to be out there helping him.

How am I still alive? ;-)

Offline drono

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 01:03:00 PM »
My dad smoked a pipe and chewed tobacco. Mom was a two pack a day cigarette smoker even when she was pregnant with me. I was never put in a car seat (no such thing), and never wore a seat belt until I was in high school. Never wore a helmet when I rode my bicycle (which was everywhere). When dad was outside working (which was all the time), I had to be out there helping him.

How am I still alive? ;-)

The same way we all are.  I used to stand up between dad and mom on the front bench seat of the car before I got tall enough to touch the roof.  Of course, cars were tanks back then, the speeds were lower, and there were much fewer of them on the road.  Very few families had more than one car, and it stayed at work all day with dad, unless he carpooled.  Does anyone even do that anymore?