Author Topic: You Know What Would be Cool?  (Read 20952 times)

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: You Know What Would be Cool?
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2015, 08:26:25 AM »
I've only ever owned 1 piece of original Wacky art but I think the story is worth a read: So, way back in 1989, I had big plans to attend the Guernsey auction, but at the last minute, my worthless boss at my worthless part-time job told me I couldn't get the time off! So, as a backup, I told my mom that I would send her money if she could attend the auction and buy some of the wacky art. As luck would have it, she ended up having to work that day too, so I was never able to get any art from the auction  :'(.

But fortunately, I had heard that a few of the attendees had bought large collections and were reselling (mostly through the Wrapper magazine). That's when I met Robert Foster, who had nearly 100 pieces available (I have his original list somewhere, but off the top of my head, it included "GI Toe", "Hostege Cupcakes" and a lot of earlier series titles). Prices ranged from 75 to 200 bucks (most pieces went for half these amounts at the auction!) so after a little haggling, I managed to get "Pupsi Cola" for 150 (a beautiful piece on 5x7 illustration board)! Seemed like a ton of money at the time, but in the back of my mind, I knew the original art had to be worth more! Anyway, long story short, I owned the art for just a couple of years, before I had to resell it to pay rent (ouch!). If I remember right, I think I got about 450, which seemed like a great return on my investment! Don't know who owns it now, but I would expect Eric Roberts or one of the big time collectors has it in their collection. And that's my brief brush with original wacky art collecting!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:28:17 AM by koduck »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2015, 09:09:54 AM »
How cool to have owned original art, even for a short time!  I saw ads in The Wrapper back then, but was just out of college and pretty deep in debt, so paintings were not an option.  Was the Pupsi in nice shape?

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2015, 09:39:34 AM »
The art itself was in great shape! The color was still sharp and the board was really clean. What was really impressive was the quality of the gouache paint. I doubt Topps needed to do much touch up for this particular sticker. On back of the board there were a few printer notes such as scaling percentages. No signature or date though, which was pretty rare for a Saunders piece I'm told.

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2015, 03:34:27 PM »
The art itself was in great shape! The color was still sharp and the board was really clean. What was really impressive was the quality of the gouache paint. I doubt Topps needed to do much touch up for this particular sticker. On back of the board there were a few printer notes such as scaling percentages. No signature or date though, which was pretty rare for a Saunders piece I'm told.

Neil - If my memory is correct, I believe that Pupsi was one of Eric's earliest acquisitions...  and it was the first piece to ever hit Ebay.  I believe it sold somewhere in the $7K range, and was probably Eric's 3rd piece.  I know that 'Weak Germs' was his first along with one other title that was found at a large annual Toy Sale on the East coast.  The detail in Weak Germs is what attracted him to Saunder's artwork, and the rest was history. 

Pupsi is definitely considered an 'A' piece and would easily gather $20K+ in today's market.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 03:37:57 PM by BRUTE_88 »

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2015, 04:13:38 PM »
I don't think Ernie was a guy who had a lot of the artwork.  He definitely had Hurts from Series 2.  You don't see any of it for sale anymore, but I know that when it was selling, prices were down.  I remember some of the artwork up on ebay for higher Buy it now prices, but no takers.  I think Run a way was listed for $25k quite a few years back but it did not sell.

Not only Hurts, But the last time I was at his place, He also had Pollydent, and Satan Wrap just to name a couple more.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2015, 04:14:35 PM »
Neil - If my memory is correct, I believe that Pupsi was one of Eric's earliest acquisitions...  and it was the first piece to ever hit Ebay.  I believe it sold somewhere in the $7K range, and was probably Eric's 3rd piece.  I know that 'Weak Germs' was his first along with one other title that was found at a large annual Toy Sale on the East coast.  The detail in Weak Germs is what attracted him to Saunder's artwork, and the rest was history. 

Pupsi is definitely considered an 'A' piece and would easily gather $20K+ in today's market.

Wasn't it Weak Germ that Tom Moore was going to buy but didn't in Atlantic City?

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2015, 04:20:58 PM »

Devoted non-sport collectors who subscribed to Les Davis's magazine The Wrapper back in the day may recall that dealer Bob Conway from CO. had the artwork to Pupsi-Cola in one of the issues for $500.

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2015, 04:34:38 PM »
Wasn't it Weak Germ that Tom Moore was going to buy but didn't in Atlantic City?

Yes.. exactly, that was the place it was acquired, and Tom had passed on it.  I think the other piece may have been 'My Sink' perfume, but not 100% positive.  Also, I believe it was Phil Carpenter who was the one that put Pupsi up on Ebay.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2015, 04:52:44 PM »
Here's Greg's write up on the whole thing...

http://www.wackypacks.com/originalart/present.html

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2015, 05:30:02 PM »
I don't think Ernie was a guy who had a lot of the artwork.
No, not like Greg or Eric. But, he did/does have some pieces, including: Hurts, Monsterettes, Family Circuit, Pollydent, Rowdy Gelatin, Satan Wrap, Stinky Toy(1985) and some ANS ones, too. Not too shabby...at least, to me.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2015, 05:38:21 AM »
Here's Greg's write up on the whole thing...

http://www.wackypacks.com/originalart/present.html
Having read this, if there is still mystery over the whereabouts of 150 or so pieces, it would be interesting to see which of the 1-14 titles in the 2 Abrams books are shown in high-resolution scans but whose paintings are still unaccounted for.  I would imagine given the size and clarity of those images, Abrams would have needed access to original paintings.  But maybe this has already been looked at, not sure.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2015, 08:35:32 AM »
Like Dave says, it has diminished considerably over time. However, I can provide a glimpse of some of what he had/has and the "old gang" in the following photos. I now wish I had taken more pics when we had the huge gathering 10 years ago...but, anyway, here's what I have, along with a few photos taken by Greg himself. It may take me a few posts to get it all in.

Early 2004, Greg's "store" (his sticker stock, checklists, wrappers, boxes, etc.):

Wow. I bet I would've never given that collection up.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2015, 10:22:19 AM »
Wow. I bet I would've never given that collection up.

That was never his "collection", he just bought collections and sold sets. Greg was one of those guys who wasn't really attached to keeping everything even in his personal collection. He would sell stuff, buy other stuff. He and Matt seemed more into the wheeling and dealing aspect of the hobby. I'm the opposite, once I like something I almost never part with it.

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2015, 07:18:43 PM »

Devoted non-sport collectors who subscribed to Les Davis's magazine The Wrapper back in the day may recall that dealer Bob Conway from CO. had the artwork to Pupsi-Cola in one of the issues for $500.

That's correct! Bob and I are good friends and he helped sell Pupsi on my behalf. Someone mentioned Phil Carpenter in another thread. He and I had discussed the Pupsi art at length, but I forget if he was the one that bought it from Bob. Anyway, he stops in here from time to time, so maybe he'll be able fill in the rest of the story...

Online koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2015, 07:20:59 PM »

Robert Foster also offered to sell "Hostege Cupcake" for 150, which would've been my next purchase, but another collector got to it before me.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2015, 07:30:26 AM »
Some shots of collectors.

A lot of the gang. Dave Schmidt and Dave Caudle in the back left.

And I'm in the front, but just my back! The one with shoulder length hair and a brightly patterned shirt to the right of the plexiglas display case.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #51 on: November 24, 2015, 01:23:42 PM »
That was never his "collection", he just bought collections and sold sets. Greg was one of those guys who wasn't really attached to keeping everything even in his personal collection. He would sell stuff, buy other stuff. He and Matt seemed more into the wheeling and dealing aspect of the hobby. I'm the opposite, once I like something I almost never part with it.

That's how I am with mine.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #52 on: November 24, 2015, 03:32:31 PM »
That's how I am with mine.

I'm going to need clarification. That statement along with the quote you quoted seems it can go either way.

" into the wheeling and dealing aspect of the hobby "

" I like something I almost never part with it "

???

Jim

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2015, 03:23:52 AM »
I'm going to need clarification. That statement along with the quote you quoted seems it can go either way.

" into the wheeling and dealing aspect of the hobby "

" I like something I almost never part with it "

???

Jim

I meant that I never part with mine, unless completely needed.