Author Topic: You Know What Would be Cool?  (Read 21001 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

You Know What Would be Cool?
« on: November 08, 2015, 12:02:47 PM »
Being able to take a tour of Greg Grant's Wacky collection would be great. I can't even imagine the things he might have.

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: You Know What Would be Cool?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 03:18:40 PM »
Being able to take a tour of Greg Grant's Wacky collection would be great. I can't even imagine the things he might have.

He doesn't have nearly as much as he used to.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 02:57:06 AM »
He doesn't have nearly as much as he used to.

Oh.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 08:28:12 AM »
Oh.

Yeah, he's not really active in the hobby anymore. I'm not sure of the details, but I'm pretty sure he sold off most of his original art, and I know he sold things like his unopened pack and display box collections.

I think the thing he was always proudest of was his web page, so at least that lives on.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 08:45:13 AM »
Yeah, he's not really active in the hobby anymore. I'm not sure of the details, but I'm pretty sure he sold off most of his original art, and I know he sold things like his unopened pack and display box collections.

I think the thing he was always proudest of was his web page, so at least that lives on.

Dave,  I know Kirk sold off a lot of his stuff as well.  I bought some of his stuff years ago.  And Matt has sold a lot of high end stuff on ebay recently.  You might be one of the larger collectors these days as far as overall collections go.  I think Brian has a very hearty collection as well.  Who else has a lot of major stuff these days?  And what about the artwork? Seems like it is more distributed than ever.  Any ideas? 
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2015, 10:14:33 AM »
Aside from Eric Roberts, I have no idea who has art anymore.

Brian certainly has the most stuff in terms of rarities, boxes, etc. I'm much more limited as I'm only interested in the stickers, packs, wrappers and boxes.

Bill F. (Kook) has a lot of cool stuff, and there are a couple of registry set collectors who have incredible graded sets. They are rarely if ever on here. I'm sure there are others who have stuff to differing degrees. The vintage collecting community is nowhere near as close knit as it used to be unfortunately.

Offline Swiski

« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2015, 11:31:10 AM »
When I joined Greg's forum back in 2004, the "old school" group was tighter and there was much more excitement and levity between people. Over the years, as many left Greg's site to come here, I sensed a change and what seemed like an ugly break-up between friends in the community. Not sure of the details since I wasn't involved. Some people are still here, some moved on, and sadly, a few of us died.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015, 12:09:25 PM »
And to think it was all over Wacky Packages (directly or indirectly). Pretty lousy - for everyone...

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2015, 06:26:08 PM »
Like Dave says, it has diminished considerably over time. However, I can provide a glimpse of some of what he had/has and the "old gang" in the following photos. I now wish I had taken more pics when we had the huge gathering 10 years ago...but, anyway, here's what I have, along with a few photos taken by Greg himself. It may take me a few posts to get it all in.

Early 2004, Greg's "store" (his sticker stock, checklists, wrappers, boxes, etc.):

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2015, 06:37:06 PM »
A lot he obtained from a single collector in Kansas City at some point:

A section of Greg's spare apartment, early ANS, fall 2005. Yes, he rented a second apartment just to house his inventory. Don't miss the pyramid of yellow ANS boxes in the lower right corner of the photo!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
Cool pics Tom. Good memories. From 2001-2005 I was excited about this hobby every day. I still am, but it just isn't the same.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2015, 06:47:04 PM »
Post more pics if ya got 'em!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2015, 06:50:51 PM »
My two biggest memories of that weekend in Fall, 2005 are:

1. Coming home to find my basement flooded (after Dave Gross almost got killed in Philly assisting a driver in trouble on the flooded roads)

2. Pulling this sticker from Matt Stock's hoard and paying like $5 for it.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2015, 06:55:43 PM »
Some shots of collectors.

Brute_88 and Fanatical & Sickly Fiction (Brian and Patrick)

chipereno, freetoes and Ditch Masters (Chip, John and Andy)

Buzzooka, quas and Hipton (Mark, Marc and Cheryl)

A lot of the gang. Dave Schmidt and Dave Caudle in the back left.

Windhex, quas and Hipton (John Fitzgerald Kennedy, Marc and Cheryl)

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 07:34:50 PM by bigtomi »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2015, 07:01:44 PM »
Great stuff. Weird to look at these pics, before I had kids, such a different world on many levels.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2015, 07:05:05 PM »
Lastly, but certainly not leastly, the art...the wondrous art.

Matt Stock with some of Greg's art:

Various angles of the art wall. I remember Greg once saying something to the effect of "go ahead. make me an offer on these. low 6 figures ain't gonna cut it even close". Extremely impressive, both in person and two dimensionally.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2015, 07:10:20 PM »
While I've never once cared to own any original art, it sure does look purty....

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2015, 07:12:11 PM »
Cool pics Tom. Good memories. From 2001-2005 I was excited about this hobby every day. I still am, but it just isn't the same.
I hear ya, man. Same with me, though I try to keep it going. Nice Spit and Spill! Matt sometimes had some real treasures.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2015, 07:20:05 PM »
That's all I have. We at wackypackagesforum.com hope you enjoyed your tour of Greg Grant's Wacky items and all the rest.  :] :P

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 10:45:30 PM »
Wow... stunning stuff...

Lastly, but certainly not leastly, the art...the wondrous art.

Matt Stock with some of Greg's art:

Various angles of the art wall. I remember Greg once saying something to the effect of "go ahead. make me an offer on these. low 6 figures ain't gonna cut it even close". Extremely impressive, both in person and two dimensionally.

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Online Joe G.

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 08:27:54 AM »
Tom, thanks for posting!  Really amazing to see the hobby bringing people together.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2015, 09:29:38 AM »
I keep getting distracted by those pictures at the bottom of the postimage.org page!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2015, 11:15:08 AM »
Besides Young Offender, who is no longer with us? Who was the guy who made home-made spoofs. I forgot his name, but I know he died a few years ago as well.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2015, 11:49:45 AM »
Gary Browning

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2015, 12:45:21 PM »
JFK was always chatting on the forum, hope he's okay!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 03:10:07 PM »
JFK was always chatting on the forum, hope he's okay!
Last I knew, he divorced, moved out to Colorado and was with a new lady. Been a while, though, at least a year or two...not sure what's up with him now.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2015, 03:11:23 PM »
quote author=bigtomi

The fire extinguisher was there just in case trading got really heated?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2015, 03:21:16 PM »
That...but more likely in case one of us attempted to cook...or walk on the counter.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2015, 03:22:20 PM »
quote author=bigtomi

Safety first, then teamwork!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2015, 04:24:34 PM »
That...but more likely in case one of us attempted to cook...or walk on the counter.

LoL!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #30 on: November 10, 2015, 05:17:54 PM »

Trying to remember that funny drama . . . the walk on the counter story

Wasn't that  David Caudle AKA Plastered Peanut?       He looks sober in the photo       

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2015, 07:10:01 PM »
Dave,  I know Kirk sold off a lot of his stuff as well.  I bought some of his stuff years ago.  And Matt has sold a lot of high end stuff on ebay recently.  You might be one of the larger collectors these days as far as overall collections go.  I think Brian has a very hearty collection as well.  Who else has a lot of major stuff these days?  And what about the artwork? Seems like it is more distributed than ever.  Any ideas?

I wonder if Ernie still has much art?  I thought he did.  I just saw an old post from him and looked at the date he was last active on the forum.  It was sometime in 2013.  Not that it's the most important thing, but I also wonder if the big-time art dealers made or lost money when buying and selling.  I'm would guess timing played a huge key in how they did.  No doubt there are plenty of interesting stories of all sorts in the world of Wackys over the last couple decades.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2015, 07:19:58 AM »
That's all I have. We at wackypackagesforum.com hope you enjoyed your tour of Greg Grant's Wacky items and all the rest.  :] :P

Hard to believe that gathering was so long ago.  I wish I would have taken some pics, as I did not take any!  If only cell phones would have been prevalent back then, we would have a lot more pics from that gathering.

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2015, 07:21:16 AM »

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2015, 07:24:08 AM »
I wonder if Ernie still has much art?  I thought he did.  I just saw an old post from him and looked at the date he was last active on the forum.  It was sometime in 2013.  Not that it's the most important thing, but I also wonder if the big-time art dealers made or lost money when buying and selling.  I'm would guess timing played a huge key in how they did.  No doubt there are plenty of interesting stories of all sorts in the world of Wackys over the last couple decades.

I don't think Ernie was a guy who had a lot of the artwork.  He definitely had Hurts from Series 2.  You don't see any of it for sale anymore, but I know that when it was selling, prices were down.  I remember some of the artwork up on ebay for higher Buy it now prices, but no takers.  I think Run a way was listed for $25k quite a few years back but it did not sell.