Author Topic: Goodbye to the old ways  (Read 10692 times)

Offline slayskool

• I'll sell some sweet swell swill someday.
    • Photography by Paul Argyropoulos
Goodbye to the old ways
« on: March 10, 2010, 11:35:38 PM »
Just thought I'd share my goodbye posting on Greg's site.
----------------------------------------------------------------

Okay guys,  I am writing to say goodbye.  I am sorry it has come to this.

Now, before rejoicing and chanting "good riddance" in unison, please hear me out.  I do not want to leave.  I love this forum.  I think Greg's site is easily the best.  I always gave props to him because I think he is a great contributor to the hobby.  But now, he has gone to a place I sadly cannot follow.

The thought that any of my comments could be interpreted as strikes is too much.  The idea that I may be punished by A) not being able to post B) having comments censored or C) banishment is just plain out of control.

I cannot in good faith keep logging on where I have to be held to some idea of "coolness" when many times, having a differing opinion with Greg constitutes "uncool".  If having a differing opinion gets me strikes, that's in essence killing any candor I may have about the hobby or collecting Wackys.  That is NOT good by any stretch.  I do not like how Greg is above ANY type of criticism, or holds that much power over any member.  He had an uncensored public forum and that was its greatest asset.  Now, it's more like a club rather than a public forum.  I don't want to be part of a club.  I want to be part of the hobby and that includes the negative and positive aspects of it.  You can't just have a peaches and cream world because this hobby is not all peaches and cream.  And those who think it is or can be will one day have a rude awakening.  The reason this hobby IS so dynamic is because of the personalities and now, those personalities must now adhere to some type of bizarre, one-sided rule book complete with strikes, outs and ejections from the clubhouse.

Greg, I am sorry for whatever damage you have experienced in your life for you to have to sell out your ideals of free speech.  To even threaten to squash what you deem offensive, inappropriate, or uncool is nothing more than a cyber czar.  I wish there was a humility drug you could take because many times, it seems you are short in the humble department.  For every one person you turn on, you turn off 5.  I hope you reconsider opening up your forum again to be completely open as it was.  I would be more than happy to come back and put you on ignore again if that were to transpire.  Again, I did not want it to come to this.  Just like I didn't want Yahoo or Delphi to end.   Your beef with Topps and Dave Gross should never have infiltrated into the forum.  That was business, not pleasure.

So, we bid adieu for now.  I will miss the regulars here.  Maybe we'll see each other on Brad's board, maybe not.  But not having wackypackages.org anymore on my browser's list of favorites is a bitter pill to swallow.  But understand, you gave me no other choice because self censorship is NEVER a choice.  Thank you for some great years on the forum.  Thank you for your site.  You will be the boldest footnote in the hobby.

Sincerely,

Paul Argyropoulos

P.S.  Remember, all's swill that ends swill.
Remember, all's swill that ends swill.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
Re: Goodbye to the old ways
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 11:45:24 PM »
Hello Paul. I sent you a message when you get a minute. BTW I gave you 1 good karma ;)
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 07:15:50 AM »
Paul, your Karma is going up. You must be bringing good Karma to the new forum :D

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 04:22:57 PM »
I guees nobody like me I have gave out like 10 + Karmas, but I have only 3 :'(

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 06:01:13 PM »
Ron - I just gave you a karma!  Not because you asked for it but because of the OLDS1 trade we recently completed!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:07:32 PM »
Ron - I just gave you a karma!  Not because you asked for it but because of the OLDS1 trade we recently completed!

Loren, and I gave you karma because you've always been a good friend to me (like the time you made those custom Wacky tumblers for all of us NC guys when we has that ANS2 pack opening party at your place - I still drink water out of it every day at work!).
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 06:10:43 PM »
I just gave you 1 loren not because of the trade we made, but because you seem like a really nice & cool person! 8)

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 06:17:44 PM »
Loren, and I gave you karma because you've always been a good friend to me (like the time you made those custom Wacky tumblers for all of us NC guys when we has that ANS2 pack opening party at your place - I still drink water out of it every day at work!).
I use mine to drink water at work every day too.  It is amazing how many people see my tumbler and comment about remembering Wackys.  Usually when that happens, I try to give them a couple of magnets to display.

Offline BustedFinger

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 06:18:24 PM »
I just gave you 1 loren not because of the trade we made, but because you seem like a really nice & cool person! 8)
Thanks man!

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 06:20:29 PM »
I use mine to drink water at work every day too.  It is amazing how many people see my tumbler and comment about remembering Wackys.  Usually when that happens, I try to give them a couple of magnets to display.

Awesome.  I used to have magnets up on my metal file cabinets over my desk when I worked at IBM.  I sadly do not have any metal to put any on in my lab.  The magnets just have to be on my file cabinet here in my "man-cave".
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 06:20:57 PM »
BTW I love your signature at the bottom...Very funny LOL! ;D

Offline slayskool

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 06:27:41 PM »
Catchy, huh?

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 07:30:16 PM »
I dont guess I understand the whole karma thing    ???

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 07:36:26 PM »
I dont guess I understand the whole karma thing    ???

I think it's just if you really liked a particular post by someone you give them a Karma point. If someone makes a post that pisses you off you can neg the post. It's just a little side cute feature. People should not over think this one and start feeling bad if they don't have karma points!

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 07:38:19 PM »
If someone is being "cool" or "positive" you give them a + (Karma) if they are starting trouble and basicly being a jerk you give them a  - or "negative" (Karma) I think it's a pretty nice feature myself...RonZ 8)

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 07:44:15 PM »
Oh, I see....LOL

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 07:50:31 PM »
Paul, your Karma is going up. You must be bringing good Karma to the new forum :D
I see I am +2 with the Karma,but I do not have a clue who gave it 2 me.
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline slayskool

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 08:00:30 PM »
That may be changing soon  ;)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 08:17:47 PM »
That may be changing soon  ;)
Paul, remember to reply with quotes because I don't know who you are addressing with your comment.
THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY WACKY PACKAGES FORUM ETHICS PANEL....

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 08:25:03 PM »
I do'nt know how??? Help me out...Please! ;)

Offline slayskool

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 09:20:50 PM »
This is what I am not understanding.

I am having the same problem as it seems you are.  I click on "show new replies to your posts" and I cannot find who has replied to my posts.  Nothing is in quotes.  

Here is a perfect example.  I just clicked on "show new replies to your posts" and it showed me the I HATE GOLD FLASHBACKS in the list.  Now there was only one post since mine and it was from Ernie and he had NOT quoted me nor replied to my post but instead to Dr. Popper's.  What is up with that??  Can you explain that to me?

What was really nice in Greg's forum is that he had the "New posts only to me" which filtered all the threads except the unread messages to me.  And then once I clicked on the thread, I could scroll really quickly to the messages with (unread) in parentheses so I could see who exactly responded to one of my messages.  As it is now, i am scrolling through the entire list to try to figure out who responded to me from what message.  The FROM and TO are REALLY good filters as now we are just pretty much posting TO the thread instead of TO someone if we don't wish to use quotes.  And even if we are using quotes, it looks like the filtering system is saying someone has responded to me even if they haven't.  Am I missing something?

Let me ask.  

1) If I start a thread, will it notify me by e-mail that someone has replied in my thread?  
2) If I post a message in a thread started by someone else, will it notify me by e-mail that someone has responded to my message?  
3) What exactly does "Show new replies to your posts" show.  It seems to just bring me to the list of threads where perhaps someone responded to a message within that post, but it doesn't indicate which message(s) exactly pertained to my post.  This is what is most cumbersome to me.  I would like to know which post exactly are to me with an (unread) message next to my name or something.

Also, sometimes, I want to respond but not use quotes.  Will that alert people I have responded to a thread?  if so, THAT is going to be a pain in the arse to people.

Here is a perfect example.  I just clicked on "show new replies to your posts" and it showed me the I HATE GOLD FLASHBACKS in the list.  Now there was only one post since mine and it was from Ernie and he had NOT quoted me nor replied to my post but instead to Dr. Popper's.  What is up with that??  Can you explain that to me?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:29:06 PM by slayskool »

Offline slayskool

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 09:30:45 PM »
Paul, remember to reply with quotes because I don't know who you are addressing with your comment.
THIS MESSAGE BROUGHT TO YOU BY WACKY PACKAGES FORUM ETHICS PANEL....

I am having the same problem as it seems you are.  I click on "show new replies to your posts" and I cannot find who has replied to my posts.  Nothing is in quotes.  

Here is a perfect example.  I just clicked on "show new replies to your posts" and it showed me the I HATE GOLD FLASHBACKS in the list.  Now there was only one post since mine and it was from Ernie and he had NOT quoted me nor replied to my post but instead to Dr. Popper's.  What is up with that??  Can you explain that to me?  All I can guess is it shows all NEW posts to ANY of my posts within a thread I created.  That is gonna be hell once we start the "Are these people nuts" thread as it will forever be alerting the person who starts it.

What was really nice in Greg's forum is that he had the "New posts only to me" which filtered all the threads except the unread messages to me.  And then once I clicked on the thread, I could scroll really quickly to the messages with (unread) in parentheses so I could see who exactly responded to one of my messages.  And once read, it would never get flagged again.  As it is now, i am scrolling through the entire battery of messages to try to figure out who responded to me from what message.  The FROM and TO are REALLY good filters as now we are just pretty much posting TO the thread instead of TO someone if we don't wish to use quotes.  And even if we are using quotes, it looks like the filtering system is saying someone has responded to me even if they haven't.  Am I missing something?

Let me ask.  

1) If I start a THREAD, will it notify me by e-mail that someone has replied in my thread?  
2) If I post a MESSAGE in a thread started by someone else, will it notify me by e-mail that someone has responded to my message even if they haven't replied to my message, like in the GOLD FLASHBACK thread above?  
3) What exactly does "Show new replies to your posts" show.  It seems to just bring me to the list of threads where perhaps someone responded to a message within that post, but it doesn't indicate which message(s) exactly pertained to which of my posts.  This is what is most cumbersome to me.  I would like to know which posts EXACTLY are to me regardless of quotes.   An (unread) message next to my name or something would be helpful.  And then it can go away once I read it so I know I've read it.

Also, sometimes, I want to respond but not use quotes.  Will that alert people I have responded to a thread?  if so, THAT is going to be a pain in the arse to people.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 09:38:52 PM by slayskool »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 07:48:15 AM »

Here is a perfect example.  I just clicked on "show new replies to your posts" and it showed me the I HATE GOLD FLASHBACKS in the list.  Now there was only one post since mine and it was from Ernie and he had NOT quoted me nor replied to my post but instead to Dr. Popper's.  What is up with that??  Can you explain that to me?

What was really nice in Greg's forum is that he had the "New posts only to me" which filtered all the threads except the unread messages to me.  And then once I clicked on the thread, I could scroll really quickly to the messages with (unread) in parentheses so I could see who exactly responded to one of my messages.  As it is now, i am scrolling through the entire list to try to figure out who responded to me from what message.  The FROM and TO are REALLY good filters as now we are just pretty much posting TO the thread instead of TO someone if we don't wish to use quotes.  And even if we are using quotes, it looks like the filtering system is saying someone has responded to me even if they haven't.  Am I missing something?

Let me ask.  

1) If I start a thread, will it notify me by e-mail that someone has replied in my thread?  
2) If I post a message in a thread started by someone else, will it notify me by e-mail that someone has responded to my message?  
3) What exactly does "Show new replies to your posts" show.  It seems to just bring me to the list of threads where perhaps someone responded to a message within that post, but it doesn't indicate which message(s) exactly pertained to my post.  This is what is most cumbersome to me.  I would like to know which post exactly are to me with an (unread) message next to my name or something.

Here is a perfect example.  I just clicked on "show new replies to your posts" and it showed me the I HATE GOLD FLASHBACKS in the list.  Now there was only one post since mine and it was from Ernie and he had NOT quoted me nor replied to my post but instead to Dr. Popper's.  What is up with that??  Can you explain that to me?

I've discussed this with Brad and it doesn't seem like this forum format supports that option.  I'm adjusting to just about everything at this point but I still can't get used to the way the "reply notifications" work.  All I want is to get an email notification when some replies to MY post only, not posts to a general topic, and I don't think that's possible. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline slayskool

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 09:07:47 AM »
I've discussed this with Brad and it doesn't seem like this forum format supports that option.  I'm adjusting to just about everything at this point but I still can't get used to the way the "reply notifications" work.  All I want is to get an email notification when some replies to MY post only, not posts to a general topic, and I don't think that's possible. 
Looks like the quote feature only quotes the LAST quote and not the entire string.  Bummer.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 09:16:34 AM »
I'm kind of okay with quote not quoting upon quoting upon quoting.  There were times it got really uncontrollable over at the other board.  It almost became a game, at times.  At least this isn't like Yahoo Groups which automatically quote everything by default when you reply to a post.  It is like watching the same episode of a program over and over again just to get to the new one.

anything