Author Topic: 2016 Topps MLB Wacky Packages  (Read 93577 times)

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
Re: 2016 Topps MLB Wacky Packages
« Reply #175 on: March 21, 2016, 10:21:48 AM »
The woodgrain and red lace sketches are still going really cheap. Maybe if they were numbered there would be more demand?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #176 on: March 21, 2016, 10:35:49 AM »
The woodgrain and red lace sketches are still going really cheap. Maybe if they were numbered there would be more demand?

Chad, I agree.  For some reason the Artist Auto cards which have been numbered in the past are also not numbered for this set.  In terms of the woodgrain sketches were actually done on wood like the Lumber Base Parallels. 

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #177 on: March 21, 2016, 10:39:25 AM »
Chad, I agree.  For some reason the Artist Auto cards which have been numbered in the past are also not numbered for this set.  In terms of the woodgrain sketches were actually done on wood like the Lumber Base Parallels.

It's hard to tell which are the woodgrain sketches - I think at times even the seller doesn't realize this....A

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #178 on: March 21, 2016, 11:03:33 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacky-Packages-Baseball-2016-Sketch-Card-Scheres-L-A-Dodgers-/231884609924?hash=item35fd665984:g:ENsAAOSwYlJW5OQ2
Here's one of my Lumber cards on ebay, not my auction. I think there might be more of a demand if they were numbered. Supposedly only 50 were made.

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #179 on: March 21, 2016, 11:05:40 AM »
This is the lumber or woodgrain return I did.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2016, 03:52:13 PM »
I am not a fan of professional anything but after the past few weeks being crappy I was pleasantly surprised upon seeing these in Target this morning. Opened a few bonus boxes and scored a green and a gold parallel which is always nice to pull something.

A week or so ago one of our members told me I'll get a good dose of karma soon. Well today I thought was the day. At Walmart the clear 2 pack things were sold wich included 22 cards and 2 exclusives so I grabbed the first pack on the peg. Not reading the instructions, after walking through the store the pack moved and I saw the following and not knowing what it was I thought it was a sketch card that happened to have the ink run.

Apparently those were some lace type cards. I don't know. Feeling bummed, I went through the rest and hiding by the green, was the following:

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:03:53 PM by FourRoses »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #181 on: March 22, 2016, 07:14:51 PM »
John, too cool!  Congrats on scoring a sketch!  I've bought a few sketches on eBay and overall blown away by the work the artists did on this series.

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #182 on: March 24, 2016, 12:39:06 PM »
John, too cool!  Congrats on scoring a sketch!  I've bought a few sketches on eBay and overall blown away by the work the artists did on this series.
To throw in my two cents about the 2016 Topps MLB Wacky Packages first edition series.........I am a huge fan of anything wacky packages, both past and present, so I will collect any new wacky packages set that comes out, but overall I find this series, although an interesting hybrid curiousity, not a good series because 1) they don't parody any REAL products this time...it's almost as though Topps thought that specific baseball teams would not like to be linked or paired with real products for legal reasons or something...and 2) the series is way too PC this time. There is not that satiric, almost subversive humor bite that makes wackies so special. It's all cheery and G rated, blecch!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #183 on: March 25, 2016, 04:41:36 PM »
I sprung for the 5 x 7 Wacky MLB cards that Topps had on the website for awhile (the regular not the gold lace background). They arrived today. I sure wish all Wackies were available in this format. Most of the artists really put a lot of detail into these little artworks and the larger size is really appreciated by my increasingly old eyes, anyway. They included the puzzle pieces on the backs of these cards making for quite large, mini-poster sized pictures when assembled. The pricing wasn't really that bad considering we were paying $25 plus for 5 to 8 Halloween or Postcard Wackies. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison I know, but you get the drift. The one down side... no black border around the products.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 04:58:26 PM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #184 on: March 25, 2016, 05:50:22 PM »
a bit of a Pure Hex homage in that one with the clothes line, wood pins and socks.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2016, 08:46:00 PM »
Scot, thanks so much for posting your reactions about the 5x7 Jumbo Wacky sets.  It's too cool that the backs are the card backs.  For some reason I thought they'd be blank.  I ordered a few of the limited print items as well and can't wait to get them!

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #186 on: March 25, 2016, 09:06:59 PM »
Scot, thanks so much for posting your reactions about the 5x7 Jumbo Wacky sets.  It's too cool that the backs are the card backs.  For some reason I thought they'd be blank.  I ordered a few of the limited print items as well and can't wait to get them!

I thought they would be blank also. Hey Topps, how about some 5 x 7 original series sets?

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #187 on: March 26, 2016, 03:06:22 AM »
I sprung for the 5 x 7 Wacky MLB cards that Topps had on the website for awhile (the regular not the gold lace background). They arrived today. I sure wish all Wackies were available in this format. Most of the artists really put a lot of detail into these little artworks and the larger size is really appreciated by my increasingly old eyes, anyway. They included the puzzle pieces on the backs of these cards making for quite large, mini-poster sized pictures when assembled. The pricing wasn't really that bad considering we were paying $25 plus for 5 to 8 Halloween or Postcard Wackies. Not exactly an apples to apples comparison I know, but you get the drift. The one down side... no black border around the products.

Let's hope this treatment will be applied to the WP 2016.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #188 on: March 26, 2016, 05:04:17 PM »
Here's my Relish collection to date.  I have a few more sketches coming in.  As I said before, I'm really impressed with the sketches in this set!

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #189 on: March 26, 2016, 05:53:00 PM »
Ya Joe it's nice to buck the system and defy the odds once in a while. Some of these sketches seem a bit Big League Chew inspired.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2016, 08:49:11 PM »
Well I had a chance to compile a simple base set and study this new batch of Wackys. As a collector since 1973, I was totally dismayed and angry at this crap collection. I mean apart from the very few great gags and art execution- THE VAST MAJORITY IS GARBAGE. Seriously this is the worst attempt to call this a collection that merits the Wacky Packages Brand. The thought and effort that went into this is pure mindless junk. So much effort could have been put into this to make it fantastic.

Lets start with cutting this to half- 45 cards, the double team thing was not needed. And the Minor League teams was also not needed along with the dumb stadium food ones. The art execution on some of these was done as someone just learned Illustrator ( Example Card #7 Blue Jay Crayons and #51 Texas Rangers- Range- seriously?!?!? )

WOW, I look at the Wacky tradition now coming up on 50 years and Norm Saunders would barf in his grave at the total junk Topps is passing as Wacky Packages in 2016. Lets just hope this doesnt start a bad trend of accepting this. Totally disappointed with this collection

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #191 on: March 27, 2016, 02:38:32 AM »
Well I had a chance to compile a simple base set and study this new batch of Wackys. As a collector since 1973, I was totally dismayed and angry at this crap collection. I mean apart from the very few great gags and art execution- THE VAST MAJORITY IS GARBAGE. Seriously this is the worst attempt to call this a collection that merits the Wacky Packages Brand. The thought and effort that went into this is pure mindless junk. So much effort could have been put into this to make it fantastic.

Lets start with cutting this to half- 45 cards, the double team thing was not needed. And the Minor League teams was also not needed along with the dumb stadium food ones. The art execution on some of these was done as someone just learned Illustrator ( Example Card #7 Blue Jay Crayons and #51 Texas Rangers- Range- seriously?!?!? )

WOW, I look at the Wacky tradition now coming up on 50 years and Norm Saunders would barf in his grave at the total junk Topps is passing as Wacky Packages in 2016. Lets just hope this doesnt start a bad trend of accepting this. Totally disappointed with this collection

Stern talk that makes good sense on many points. I feel like this release comes off like "Bootleg" Wackies done by another company. They try to emulate the brand; but don't come close to what Wackies are really about. When Wackies don't spoof real products- things go wrong; is the lesson learned here. Hopefully Topps will take this type of feedback into consideration for future endeavors.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 03:25:02 AM by DrDeal »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2016, 04:55:09 AM »
Here's my Relish collection to date.  I have a few more sketches coming in.  As I said before, I'm really impressed with the sketches in this set!

Nice! The only parody I acquired the "royal flush" of variants for was Litesabers.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #193 on: March 27, 2016, 06:44:06 AM »
the difficulty and issues with a small 45 card set started when topps went to 10 card packs. buy just a few packs and you're done, and if you chase after the subsets, which might be 1/pack, the buyer ends up with a billion dupes in no time flat. I thought the WP 2015 set pulled off a high card-count set really well. Hope they can keep it up in future releases.

with the art quality, from what I've seen from this set, topps has put together a far higher percentage of quality art from quality artists in this MLB WP set than we got foisted on us in ANS10 and ANS11. It's just a single artist that churned out the 40-50% of those sets that had (to me) artwork wholly inappropriate for the wacky brand. Their work appears limited here to just a handful of titles, so compared to some recent Wackys, I find this set pretty solid.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #194 on: March 27, 2016, 05:06:29 PM »
I agree with Patrick that Wackys live and die by the quality of the art.  To me, a well composed and illustrated painting, better yet with a fun character will always feel like a Wacky.  Something poorly painted or digitally created, never will.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #195 on: March 27, 2016, 06:48:14 PM »
I agree with Patrick that Wackys live and die by the quality of the art.  To me, a well composed and illustrated painting, better yet with a fun character will always feel like a Wacky.  Something poorly painted or digitally created, never will.

I will say that The Sox Illustration overall meets the Wacky Standards- Good Gag, Great illustration- color and perspective of jar, great blends and type execution. Computers should be used on small type and not part of the overall composition. I find it amazing that some of these design lack the knowledge of perspective and Topps officials rubber stamp this is OK to print

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #196 on: March 27, 2016, 07:58:22 PM »
Mike, thanks, I really appreciate that.   I think what you said about my work is true of all the artists that frequent the forum.  We're all Wacky fans from way back and strive to pay homage to the genius of Norm Saunders.  In terms of type, for the first time Topps stipulated that all type needed to be digital. Also we couldn't manipulate the team logos in any way.  That made it a little tricky to integrate them onto curved surfaces.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 08:06:15 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #197 on: March 27, 2016, 11:07:04 PM »
A really nice Smokin' Joe sketch that's on the Bay

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #198 on: March 28, 2016, 09:59:37 AM »
That Smokin Joe is one of my Favorites!

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #199 on: March 28, 2016, 10:48:41 AM »
Quite frankly I find the negativity a bit too much. While I might agree with such an observation when it comes to the amount of base cards in this set, I can not hold the same opinion surrounding the overall majority of gags and art. If I woke up tomorrow and professional sports ceased to exist, I'd be one of only a few people who would be in the streets cheering. With that said though, I was highly yet surprisingly entertained with set and I even enjoyed the portion of cards that gave parody to the ball park food.

Offline Scheres

• toyghoul.com
« Reply #200 on: March 28, 2016, 10:59:07 AM »
There are some that I dislike, but that happens with any set. Some, like the Brewers coffee and the Mets Bridge I really like. The characters remind me of the old Wackys.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #201 on: March 29, 2016, 07:54:53 PM »

Joe, I've been working on DODGERS SUSHI. I have a lumber sketch card on the way to add to the regular and the lace sketches. Still looking for a black ludlow back and a leather parallel (not holding my breath on that one). Cobbled together a binder as well.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 07:57:26 PM by sco(o)t »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #202 on: March 29, 2016, 07:56:27 PM »
Joe, I've been working on DODGERS SUSHI. I have a lumber sketch card on the way. Still looking for a black ludlow and a leather parallel (not holding my breath on that one). Cobbled together a binder as well.

I actually like that binder in its own right.  Where did you get it?

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #203 on: March 29, 2016, 08:02:00 PM »
   Stern talk that makes good sense on many points. I feel like this release comes off like "Bootleg" Wackies done by another company. They try to emulate the brand; but don't come close to what Wackies are really about. When Wackies don't spoof real products- things go wrong; is the lesson learned here. Hopefully Topps will take this type of feedback into consideration for future endeavors.

Well Dr Deal, I didnt mind that they did ball game food spoofs but the gags and art associated with it were poorly done. It could be anything it was generic. Going back to subject matter like I said before on my most hated card- The Texas Ranger Range- It could have been a Texas Ranger Action Figure Doll Instead. The Range was so, so lame. The Oakland A's cards are just plain boring. It just boggles the mind these even got printed.

Also it makes more sense to have had all of them with the baseball pattern as a common base set. At least they look cooler.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #204 on: March 29, 2016, 08:41:50 PM »
I actually like that binder in its own right.  Where did you get it?

Amazon $8.00

Updated:  Looks like you can get as low as $5 plus $5 shipping. The place I got one for $8 is now $11.26 with no shipping (if you are an Amazon Prime member).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008OCM2H0/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1459350836&sr=8-1&keywords=mlb+3+ring+binder&condition=new
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 08:18:43 AM by sco(o)t »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #205 on: March 30, 2016, 08:57:48 AM »
Joe, I've been working on DODGERS SUSHI. I have a lumber sketch card on the way to add to the regular and the lace sketches. Still looking for a black ludlow back and a leather parallel (not holding my breath on that one). Cobbled together a binder as well.

Scot, looks fantastic!  The black lud should be an easy score so you're practically there!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #206 on: March 31, 2016, 07:42:54 PM »
I just made an interesting discovery that I think the Forum ought to know. Jeff Allender's House of Checklists has a listing of this series,and it also says (are you ready for this?) that this IS 2016 Series 1!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2016, 08:08:06 PM »
It just boggles the mind these even got printed.
Can we all imagine now what the Star Wars Wackys must have been like?   :o

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #208 on: March 31, 2016, 08:13:14 PM »
Jeff Allender's House of Checklists says that this IS 2016 Series 1!
Hopefully, they're misinformed (remember her?). But, maybe not. How scary and disappointing that would be. To quote Linus: "We're doomed". 

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #209 on: April 07, 2016, 06:55:03 PM »
Amazon $8.00

Updated:  Looks like you can get as low as $5 plus $5 shipping. The place I got one for $8 is now $11.26 with no shipping (if you are an Amazon Prime member).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008OCM2H0/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1459350836&sr=8-1&keywords=mlb+3+ring+binder&condition=new

Thanks!  It's a sharp binder.  I see there are also ones for the NFL and NBA.  Because I don't really collect sports cards anymore (other than a couple packs per year), I probably won't get one, but they'd be nice for current cards.