Author Topic: Really low-grade Original Series Wackys  (Read 6680 times)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
Really low-grade Original Series Wackys
« on: October 15, 2015, 01:45:37 AM »
I came across this on ebay, and the condition was just so bad, I wanted to post a pic.  What corners!!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 03:02:31 AM by RawGoo »

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Really low-grade Original Series Wackys
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2015, 02:59:48 AM »
Yeah, I saw that too! Thank god my Choke Wagon is in better shape than that.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2015, 03:07:52 AM »
I'll bet some kid literally loved that sticker to death by carrying it in their back pocket.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 06:03:26 AM »
I'll bet some kid literally loved that sticker to death by carrying it in their back pocket.

It was probably mine! :) Most of my keeper collection looks just like this! I call it "personalization"

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2015, 07:12:42 AM »
It was probably mine! :) Most of my keeper collection looks just like this! I call it "personalization"

I used to sort my stickers by how good they looked, and then the "keepers" got put aside to my nice Wacky tissue box.

I do know what you mean about original keepers - ragged as they may be, they're mine from my childhood, and are treasured.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 08:13:35 AM »
I used to sort my stickers by how good they looked, and then the "keepers" got put aside to my nice Wacky tissue box.

I do know what you mean about original keepers - ragged as they may be, they're mine from my childhood, and are treasured.

It's interesting. My childhood memories of wackys are very precious, but somehow the actual stickers from that time don't mean much to me. I found my entire childhood 1st series several years ago in VG-ish condition. I sold it and it didn't really bother me at all. I'm more moved by high grade stickers because it reminds me of how I felt after opening a pack.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 08:20:07 AM »
Dave, I'm with Pat on this one, nothing compares to having the original!  I still have my childhood 1-212 Amazing Spider-Man collection and would never consider upgrading any of the comics.  I mean if you've held onto to something for 40 years why would you ever let it go?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 08:43:08 AM »
I guess it just depends on your personality. I didn't care about keeping things in great condition as a kid. I still enjoy reading my comics from then, but they're just too ragged to appeal to me much at this point. I like comics that look pretty, like this:

« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:13:39 AM by Paul_Maul »

Online Kook

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 01:45:32 PM »
It's interesting. My childhood memories of wackys are very precious, but somehow the actual stickers from that time don't mean much to me. I found my entire childhood 1st series several years ago in VG-ish condition. I sold it and it didn't really bother me at all. I'm more moved by high grade stickers because it reminds me of how I felt after opening a pack.

That's pretty much how I look at it too. Stickers in great condition remind me of how they were when I first opened the pack. I traded away my original collection in the early 80s & don't feel any connection or loss to that particular set.

I have some old toys too that I kept. I have considered upgrading a few here and there because the ones I still have are pretty beat up. I'd much rather have a nm in box example than the beat up toy I played with in most cases. So far, I haven't acted on the urge to make any of these toy purchases. Only thing I collect is wackys.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 06:40:02 PM »
I came across this on ebay, and the condition was just so bad, I wanted to post a pic.  What corners!!
Reminds me of the Bum Chex that Greg showed us years back which he had that was actually considerably worse than that Choke. I don't remember the details of that story, but it was about a PSA 0 card. It was so fugly, that it was captivating to look at.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 07:12:42 PM »
I remember that Bum Chex!  I think it had been stuck to a desk and when it was peeled off, it left some chunks behind.  Greg used to have it slabbed in one of the thickest screw-down holders I've ever seen!!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2015, 08:44:29 PM »
I think that is the card I used on the spokes on my bike. Good to see it circulating in the new century :P :-\ :]

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 03:27:24 AM »

I also enjoy collecting beautiful examples of Wackys.  I just have a sentimental attachment to the ones I actually got as a kid.  And, they're actually not in that bad shape, no writing, they all have their borders, etc.  They display nicely in pages, and I can enjoy them that way.  The flaws are generally toning, gum/wax stains, roller marks, and imperfect corners.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 03:28:29 AM »
Reminds me of the Bum Chex that Greg showed us years back which he had that was actually considerably worse than that Choke. I don't remember the details of that story, but it was about a PSA 0 card. It was so fugly, that it was captivating to look at.

Do you have a picture?

Offline BAM

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 06:20:26 AM »
I think it would be worth the $7 to send that Choke Wagon in to PSA.   >:D 

Online freetoes

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 01:53:40 PM »
I think it would be worth the $7 to send that Choke Wagon in to PSA.   >:D 

I remember seeing that--too bad I can't find a pic.  It looked like something that had been chewed up and spat out into the dryer.

But you never know--with PSA, you might get lucky.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 11:01:49 PM »
I treasure both - my actual stickers and the fond memories. Best memory was being in 7-11, my parents letting me get 2 packs of series 1, which started it all for me. I still have those 4 stickers. I also treasure the memory of making my own Wacky poster by sticking a bunch of Wackys on a poster board. I changed my mind later, and pulled them all off the poster board and re-sticking them as stickers, using some extra backing cards from various sets like Odd Rods, etc. I still have those stickers too :) Not sure how they survived being ripped off the poster board though...

anything