Author Topic: All Things 79-80 Reissue  (Read 48743 times)

Offline lucidjc

Re: All Things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2016, 10:51:39 AM »
Pictures, or it never happened.

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2016, 05:49:37 PM »

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2016, 07:43:03 PM »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2016, 02:20:52 PM »
Did you see when  they auctioned off a Reissue Series 5 Checklist - B&W - i missed out on the auction bid but it was pretty cool....so they were planning a Reissue Series 5....
Yes, I believe I was the first to post about it back on Greg's forum.
A stunning revelation!
There was the pic of the wrapper in the Gallery, but to see the titles proposed. Yowza!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2016, 11:48:37 PM »

What's on the reverse?  I have the fan produced 9 checklists with Sneer as the puzzle, and it's a crying shame they didn't release that set - there are some great Wackys there!  And with the die-cut and Series 16 titles, many would have been completely new to me in 1979.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:51:16 PM by RawGoo »

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2016, 08:07:35 AM »
I recently found and purchased a white back 1st series reissue sheet. It would seem that some made it out of the factory without having the backs printed. Very cool find for me.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2019, 07:53:08 PM »
 I am moving the discussion about the Bond Bread reissue sheets to this thread.

I have opened a few 1st series packs to have some verified original stickers to compare die cuts with the sheets I know came from the warehouse find. When I peeled matching stickers from the pack and the sheet and then swapped them, the die cuts did not match exactly. See the pic below.

I then also peeled matching stickers from the packs and swapped them with each other for comparison. Some of those also did not line up exactly. I will say that the original sticker-sheet swap seemed to have a larger difference than the original sticker-original sticker swap, but, I think without knowing what variation in diecuts it normal, its still not giving me any solid information.

I also varified that I can see die cut impressions on the back of the sheets and also peeled the backing on the front to varify.

At this point, other than the slight variance in the die cut pattern, I see no large difference in these sheets.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #78 on: July 25, 2019, 03:41:44 AM »
Ow, you defiled the sheet. I guess it’s in the means of science, though, correct?  :]

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2019, 04:14:35 AM »
I have two sheets that are super rough....they were used as protective covers to ship several nice sheets in between lol

« Reply #80 on: July 25, 2019, 10:57:58 AM »
I am moving the discussion about the Bond Bread reissue sheets to this thread.

I have opened a few 1st series packs to have some verified original stickers to compare die cuts with the sheets I know came from the warehouse find. When I peeled matching stickers from the pack and the sheet and then swapped them, the die cuts did not match exactly. See the pic below.

I then also peeled matching stickers from the packs and swapped them with each other for comparison. Some of those also did not line up exactly. I will say that the original sticker-sheet swap seemed to have a larger difference than the original sticker-original sticker swap, but, I think without knowing what variation in diecuts it normal, its still not giving me any solid information.

I also varified that I can see die cut impressions on the back of the sheets and also peeled the backing on the front to varify.

At this point, other than the slight variance in the die cut pattern, I see no large difference in these sheets.

Excellent start.  This would suggest that the Bond sheets did not undergo laser die-cutting.

If there was only one run and one printing location, there should be 4 different legitimate die cut variations for each original Reissue sticker (2 per slit A&B).  If you get a large group of stickers as a sample, you can look at a single title and compare all of the * with * and the ** with **.  Each should yield 2 different patterns.  If there are more than 2 per slit, then one or more of the following occurred: there were multiple print runs, multiple printing locations, the dies got damaged/sharpened or altered slightly from repeated use, some Bond stickers got cut up and mixed in.  Then compare these with the die cuts on the sheet.  Looking forward to seeing your next update!

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2019, 04:42:04 PM »
Wow, this is all really cool.  I remember burning packs & stickers just for the sake of research.  I admire your dedication.  It's cool to see the Reissues gaining some respect, too.  That huge lot of series-1's, that practically fall from the sky there's so many, kind of ruined the appeal of the repros.  But I remember some people scouring everywhere for series-2 & never finding them.  I only remember seeing 1 or 2 of those sheets in collectors hands ever.  Don't recall which ones I owned.  But the reissue sheets are a great way to display Wackys without breaking the bank, for sure.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2019, 07:32:18 PM »

Crazy Zoo Keeper, wow I had not even thought of the slit A&B issue. I am glad you are thinking more clearly on this. Your helping to keep me thinking correctly and I appreiciate that. I need to take a step back and re-group. Maybe prepare a little more and dig out and set up my material to obtain better results.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #83 on: July 25, 2019, 07:38:12 PM »
Wow, this is all really cool.  I remember burning packs & stickers just for the sake of research.  I admire your dedication.  It's cool to see the Reissues gaining some respect, too.  That huge lot of series-1's, that practically fall from the sky there's so many, kind of ruined the appeal of the repros.  But I remember some people scouring everywhere for series-2 & never finding them.  I only remember seeing 1 or 2 of those sheets in collectors hands ever.  Don't recall which ones I owned.  But the reissue sheets are a great way to display Wackys without breaking the bank, for sure.
It’s funny to me now to hear that Reissue 2nd Series are the hardest to come by.  When the Reissues came out I was initially thrilled beyond belief to see Wackys again, but that euphoria was short-lived, as I quickly realized that I was only seeing a fraction of what I remembered, as vague and hazy as those memories were.  And there was no explanation for the format, nowhere to go for answers.  In particular, Series 2 seemed to stay in stores FOREVER, to the point I thought the run would end there.  In my desperation to see more, I kept buying packs even after I finished the set twice over, almost thinking I’d find something new within those yellow wrappers.  So to me, Series 2 has always seemed disproportionately abundant rather than rare, because of those experiences.  In general all my Reissues have a ton of surface rub wear, from flipping through them hundreds of times.  Other than the ‘82 album stickers, which featured a few more originals, they would be my only lifeline to the OS I longed for until the fateful day in 1997 I discovered The Wrapper.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #84 on: July 25, 2019, 07:41:59 PM »
Toadallydude,

Yes, that hard 2nd series sheet....took me forever to locate one. Mike Gidwitz had one and I eventually was able to work a deal with him. What an interesting guy. Had a great phone conversation with him years ago.

As for the reissues in general, It still surprises me a little at how much grief they get from original series collectors. For me, the entire thing is the nostalgia of it. The fact that the reissues were when I first discovered Wacky Packages makes them just as cool and important to me as the originals are to others. I mean, at first I went crazy and purchaed tons or OS stuff, I "sealed the deal" and had a complete 1-16 run, a complete AD set, Hostess Double set, and so on. Then realized that all of that did not carry the heart felt meaning for me that the reissues did and I sold off everything that was not reissue related.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #85 on: July 25, 2019, 07:49:13 PM »

Crazy Zoo Keeper, wow I had not even thought of the slit A&B issue. I am glad you are thinking more clearly on this. Your helping to keep me thinking correctly and I appreiciate that. I need to take a step back and re-group. Maybe prepare a little more and dig out and set up my material to obtain better results.
Rather than focusing on overall shape/size, seeing if stickers can be swapped without any gaps, etc., maybe a more definitive strategy (and one that doesn’t require any peeling) is to do a close comparison of corner details of the diecuts.  Didn’t the 86 albums have some shape variations at corners?   Maybe something like that exists between original 79 singles and the Bond bread sheets.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #86 on: July 25, 2019, 07:55:42 PM »
Toadallydude,

Yes, that hard 2nd series sheet....took me forever to locate one. Mike Gidwitz had one and I eventually was able to work a deal with him. What an interesting guy. Had a great phone conversation with him years ago.

As for the reissues in general, It still surprises me a little at how much grief they get from original series collectors. For me, the entire thing is the nostalgia of it. The fact that the reissues were when I first discovered Wacky Packages makes them just as cool and important to me as the originals are to others. I mean, at first I went crazy and purchaed tons or OS stuff, I "sealed the deal" and had a complete 1-16 run, a complete AD set, Hostess Double set, and so on. Then realized that all of that did not carry the heart felt meaning for me that the reissues did and I sold off everything that was not reissue related.
I feel you.  Though I did have my initial exposure during OS 1-16, I completely missed 5 or 6 different series for whatever reason, and I’ve mostly pursued the ones that had that nostalgic pull.  Doesn’t mean the other sets weren’t just as good, but it’s all about recapturing those memories.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2019, 05:41:40 PM »
Yes, that hard 2nd series sheet....took me forever to locate one.
Being a collector as long as I have been, I was aware that 2nd reissue stickers were the hardest to find. However, I am mildly surprised to hear about the 2nd sheet being so difficult and so few ever seen. I own two full sheets (132 stickers each) of '79 2nd series. One is in a huge top loader and a bit rough and the other is framed and hanging on my wall, but the stickers are starting to separate from the backing. Bummer. I guess just not framed quite properly and hanging the way it has for so long has done some damage.  :sad:

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2019, 07:02:28 PM »
That's awesome on the 2nd series sheets! Those large top loaders are great for storing them in. I have a super nice example of each of the 4 sheets in top loaders and then a lesser quality 3rd and 4th as well. Oh and of course a small stack of 1st series sheets as well.

When you look at my collection its obvious the 2nd series is in less supply than the other series for sure. The only gaping hole in the collection is that I am still missing a nice full 2nd series box :(

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2019, 07:51:24 PM »

When you look at my collection its obvious the 2nd series is in less supply than the other series for sure. The only gaping hole in the collection is that I am still missing a nice full 2nd series box :(

Because you sold it to me 12 years ago! I remember it clearly because it was a few days before my son was born 🙂

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2019, 07:55:02 PM »
I know I have regretted that sale ever since. It was the nicest example I had ever seen. It went to a good home though. :)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2019, 03:56:49 AM »

Would this be acceptable condition to fill the gaping hole?  I'm trying to find what I paid for it, but I know it wasn't cheap.  Send me a PM - I hate thinking about the missing piece in your collection!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 04:00:18 AM by RawGoo »

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2019, 01:42:43 PM »
My goodness. Yes, I would be super grateful to own that box. Im not sure I can afford it but I absolutely do want it. I sent you a PM. Let me know what your thinking and we can figure something out. I have been monitoring reissue sales for like 15 plus years constantly and have seen them go for various prices. I'm super excited you have this and are willing to sell it. Thank you!!

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #93 on: July 28, 2019, 01:53:10 PM »
RawGoo,
Here is the gaping hole you are helping to fill. The middle shelf is for FULL boxes. Notice NO second series boxes lol.
 The bottom shelf is all empty boxes.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #94 on: July 28, 2019, 02:29:15 PM »
RawGoo,
Here is the gaping hole you are helping to fill. The middle shelf is for FULL boxes. Notice NO second series boxes lol.

That is a gaping hole!  PM sent.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #95 on: August 01, 2019, 12:17:54 PM »
Toadallydude,

How is Mike these days?  Last time I saw him was probably early 2000s when he was in CA to sell the Honus Wagner card.  John and I hung out with him for a while at the card show before & after.  Major player in early Wacky Art days. 

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #96 on: August 01, 2019, 12:24:57 PM »
RawGoo,

Wow... impressive Re-issue box collection there.  Makes me wish I'd bought up all the ones I had access to at some of the card & comic shops in CA that had loads of full boxes well into the 90's, usually accompanied by GPK series 2-15.  The 1985 & 1991 full boxes were $5 a box for a long time too.  I wonder if those will ever gain renewed interest years later like the Re-issues.  The good thing about the Wacky Re-issues vs. Star Wars is that Lucas didn't add a bunch of silly CG characters to them!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #97 on: August 01, 2019, 01:22:49 PM »
Reissues don’t really have that much interest.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #98 on: August 01, 2019, 04:43:32 PM »
Reissues played an important role for kids like me who managed to lose everything they had from OS five minutes after getting it.  Being a few years older by ‘79, I had become much more tuned in and organized from the standpoint of keeping my stuff stashed and out of sight within the household.  Earlier, just leaving my stuff lying around, having the attention span of a housefly, is what made everything disappear.  My parents just had no patience for it.  Anyway, the Reissues at least checked a few boxes in my Wacky memory until I could re-acquire original series years later.  Gotta appreciate them for that at least.  And there were plenty of the most iconic titles in the mix.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #99 on: August 01, 2019, 04:46:15 PM »
Of course for those like Jeff whose first experience with Wackys happened to be the Reissues, they mean everything, which he has amply demonstrated.  Heck, there are probably collectors who concentrate on the ‘82 album stickers if that’s where they got started.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #100 on: August 01, 2019, 04:49:30 PM »
Toad,

I have not spoken to Mike is years. I was just mainly around the time I found out he has the 2nd series sheet I needed so badly. I would love to meet him and tour his place. I wish I could remember everything he told me over the phone about his collection of art. Just what he spends on framing alone blew my mind. Incredible collector from what I understood.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #101 on: August 01, 2019, 05:48:19 PM »
I think what is meant by this (not to speak for Dave and I'm sure he'll correct me if I misinterpret) is that when Wacky collectors get together, in general, like at the Allentown show, we don't see any real reissue activity. The general interest in them is next to nothing. As you'd imagine, the OS, dies and Ads gather the vast majority of the spotlight, probably close to all of it. Some newer stuff, too, but only a bit. Not saying the reissues are of no value or have no nostalgia for some. I firmly believe that one should collect whatever they like or want to, but from my experience, they are right there with '82, '85, '86 and '91 series...yawn.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #102 on: August 01, 2019, 05:55:05 PM »
I collect reissues and have put a lot of time and money into finding nice ones. I’m not dissing them. I’m just pointing out that they don’t draw a ton of collector interest the way the older stuff does.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #103 on: August 01, 2019, 06:00:31 PM »
I agree completely. It does not bother me or upset me because it is the truth. In a way I am glad as it has helped me a time or two to acquire a few one of a kind reissue items that otherwise would have been more difficult to purchase if there was more interest. On that note, I am super grateful to a few collectors here that over the years, have been kind enough to sell me those items...so that I was able to really have a unique collection.
 Now if someone would be so kind as to start a GoFundMe page for the purchase of the original art for Ice Krunkles………………………..

Kidding of course lol......

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2019, 03:26:45 AM »
Aside from buying reissue packs and building sets myself, I bought one of each from a dealer I used to see at regular card shows in Rockville Centre.  My mother used to drive me there (it was almost an hour away), and she and my sister would go shopping in town while I enjoyed the show.  Those minty sets went right into pages, and I still have them.