Author Topic: Heya guys.  (Read 12982 times)

Offline BAM

Heya guys.
« on: October 10, 2015, 05:07:24 AM »
New forum member checking in to say hello. Like (I imagine) many of you, I fondly remember buying Wackys back in the early 1970s, when I was about 7 or 8 years old. At that time, my spending money came from whatever pocket change my father gave me, and from collecting glass soda bottles and turning them in for the 5 cent deposit. Alas, all of the Wackys I bought back then have been lost in the mists of time.

Fast forward to now and my interest in Wackys has been rekindled by discovering the ANS Wackys. I have most of ANS already, but now I have decided to try to complete a collection of the original series 1-16, and I just discovered this forum a couple of days ago. :-)

I suppose that ebay is my best bet for buying full series as well as individual cards. Any advice you guys could give me would be welcome. Are there any specific sellers that should be avoided? I'm leaning towards buying higher quality cards/collections in EX or better condition. I'm torn on whether or not to buy PSA graded cards, because I'm hoping to keep my collection in three ring binders.

Speaking of binders, are there any binders specifically available for storing Wackys or will I have to "roll my own"?

Again, any and all advice is welcome.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Heya guys.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 07:25:21 AM »
Welcome to the forum!

There are a bunch of people here with extra Original Series sets and singles.  We have a "Great Trader" thread where you can check out some testimonials about good sales/trade.

Regarding binders, there was a set of 4 produced for Original Series more than 10 years ago put out by Non-Sport Update.  There's a thread here that includes some pics and comments.  Just recently, Topps issued binders for each of the 16 series, plus one for the "lost" stickers; there's at least one thread about those.  Neither is easy to acquire.

Topps did issue some binders for the ANS sets and Postcards, but they no longer offer them for sale on their website.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 07:27:47 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2015, 08:47:11 AM »
Everyone has their own style of collecting. I started out buying whatever I could find without being too demanding about grades. The problem is, if you have that perfectionist collector gene, you get more and more picky with time. Personally, once I had looked through a stack of 50 of a given title, I realized these were common in average condition and I wanted better. That led to ultra grade consciousness and ultimately PSA stuff. But that process took 13 years 😀 Enjoy whatever you decide to pursue.

Offline BAM

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 04:38:05 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. I feel right at home here.

There is, right now, a complete 1st and 2nd series in EX condition making their way to my house thanks to ebay. From what I have researched, the next several series will be less expensive, until I get to the much later series. IIRC, I probably started collecting around series 3, but I do remember that series 1 & 2 were still available in packs at the store I frequented as a young lad.

Barring PSA slabbing, what is the best method of preserving Wackys? In other words, should I keep them in individual sleeves, or are binder sleeves ok? What products should I be considering?

@Paul_Maul  Wow!  Gem Mint, I would suppose, is a very rare grade for a 40 year old sticker. Almost unheard of, I imagine.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 04:55:45 PM »

Barring PSA slabbing, what is the best method of preserving Wackys? In other words, should I keep them in individual sleeves, or are binder sleeves ok? What products should I be considering?

While some use binders and are happy with them, I prefer using a penny sleeve/top loader combo, especially for tan backs. I've seen 9-pocket sheets cause warping on the thin tan backed stock, though some brands of sheet are stiffer and less prone to this.

Quote from: Doug W.

@Paul_Maul  Wow!  Gem Mint, I would suppose, is a very rare grade for a 40 year old sticker. Almost unheard of, I imagine.

That's the only 10 for that particular sticker, but others are more plentiful. Take a look at the PSA set registry if you haven't, it's fun to poke around there. Here are my sets:

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/OtherSets.aspx?m=29041

Offline BAM

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2015, 05:08:58 PM »
While some use binders and are happy with them, I prefer using a penny sleeve/top loader combo, especially for tan backs. I've seen 9-pocket sheets cause warping on the thin tan backed stock, though some brands of sheet are stiffer and less prone to this.

That's the only 10 for that particular sticker, but others are more plentiful. Take a look at the PSA set registry if you haven't, it's fun to poke around there. Here are my sets:

http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/OtherSets.aspx?m=29041

Would you please educate me on what you mean by a penny sleeve/top loader combo? Links would be appreciated.

I'm looking forward to taking a peek at your PSA set registry.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2015, 05:21:28 PM »
First you put the sticker in a penny sleeve to protect the corners. This must be done carefully so the corners are not damaged.

Then you put the penny sleeve in a top loader, which can be stored in various cardboard boxes made specifically to store them:

« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:24:53 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2015, 07:27:55 PM »
Hi Doug
Welcome to the Forum. As you will discover going back in time can now be a costly proposition since most wackys were not well kept by kids. So the decent ones that survived that time can be found at a price. Also there are centering issues which Topps was not to keen to get registration quality in check back in the day. Then there are the Series 15-16 issues which can be a rather difficult set to assemble ( one I have been working on for 10 years now) as its rare and costly. Most of the recent issues of ANS can be found rather easily and cheap except for some promos and variation subsets.

Most of all just enjoy yourself :great:

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 04:48:38 AM »
One other thing...be sure to savor the brief period of "seeing wackys again for the first time."  I remember the magical feeling of seeing these images in 2001 that I hadn't seen since 1974. It brought back really vivid childhood memories. That didn't last long because I was seeing them constantly after that.

Offline BAM

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 05:59:40 AM »
One other thing...be sure to savor the brief period of "seeing wackys again for the first time."  I remember the magical feeling of seeing these images in 2001 that I hadn't seen since 1974. It brought back really vivid childhood memories. That didn't last long because I was seeing them constantly after that.

Yea, I'm really looking forward to the nostalgia of holding those old wackys again for the first time in 40+ years. I only live about five miles from the house I lived in in 1973. There was a tiny little mom & pop grocery store about half a mile from there that I used to walk to with my soda bottles, that I would turn in for the deposit money and buy wacky packs. That store closed many years ago and stayed closed for decades. Last week, I happened to drive by there and saw that it was open again! I plan to go in there soon and see if they have any ANS wackys on the counter. That would be awesome.

Offline BAM

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 06:14:05 AM »
@Paul_Maul  Wow! I took a look at your PSA gallery. You have an impressive collection of very high grade wackys. Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "Master Set"?

So, the tan backs are thinner than the white backs?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 06:33:56 AM »
Yes, tan backs are flimsy, while white backs are thick like a baseball card.

A basic set means it includes just the stickers on the checklist. For the 1st series that would be 30 items. The master set includes the 9 piece puzzle as well as any variations that PSA recognizes.

So, take series 7 as an example. The basic set includes 33 stickers. The master set includes the 9 piece puzzle and the two Grime variations for a total of 43 items.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 06:45:43 AM »
Yes, tan backs are flimsy, while white backs are thick like a baseball card.

A basic set means it includes just the stickers on the checklist. For the 1st series that would be 30 items. The master set includes the 9 piece puzzle as well as any variations that PSA recognizes.

So, take series 7 as an example. The basic set includes 33 stickers. The master set includes the 9 piece puzzle and the two Grime variations for a total of 43 items.

I am in awe every time I look at your collection! 

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 07:10:49 AM »
I am in awe every time I look at your collection!

Thanks Pat. While I will never be at the top of the registry (and don't care at all about that) I do feel like I have focused on nice examples free of the tilt and diamond cuts and toning that plague so many high grade PSA cards. You'd think any PSA 9 would be super nice, but that's unfortunately not the case at all. It really takes a lot of patience to find high grade examples with nice eye appeal. I see it as a lifelong project.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:14:29 AM by Paul_Maul »

Offline BAM

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 07:19:33 AM »
I notice a lot of the wackys I see have the sticker off center for lack of a better term (more border on one side than the other).

What does "diamond cut" mean?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 08:05:11 AM »
What does "diamond cut" mean?
a mis-cut where the sides aren't at 90 degree angles, (not squared) and noticeable by the borders not running parallel to the edges.
a diamond shape is an exaggeration of the error, but gives the gist of it

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 09:16:35 AM »
Yes, and while PSA is very tough on centering, they don't deduct at all for tilt/diamond cut, as long as the centering measurements meet their requirements. It's a shame because those defects are brutal on eye appeal to me at least.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »
Here's an example of the ugly toning ignored by PSA....

eBay auction: #301762299283

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 09:35:34 AM »
This is Ernie's page showing centering issue examples:  http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/GradingGuide/Centering/centering.html

What used to confuse me was thinking that "diamond cut" meant that the card itself wasn't cut with four 90 degree corners.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 09:41:14 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 09:35:59 AM »
...and here's an example of diamond cut....

eBay auction: #321887361216

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 09:38:33 AM »
This is Ernie's page showing centering issue examples:  http://www.wackypackage.com/Wacky%20Packs/GradingGuide/Centering/centering.html

What used to confuse me was thinking that "diamond cut" meant that the card itself wasn't cut with four 90 degree corners.

That is what diamond cut means. That's why I distinguish between diamond cut and tilt.

To me, diamond cut means the card itself doesn't have right angles. Tilt means the card is cut properly with right angles, but the image is not parallel to the edges.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 09:42:21 AM »
That is what diamond cut means. That's why I distinguish between diamond cut and tilt.

To me, diamond cut means the card itself doesn't have right angles. Tilt means the card is cut properly with right angles, but the image is not parallel to the edges.

THANKS!  I still think you should be the PSA Wacky grader.

Offline BAM

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 10:08:19 AM »
Here's an example of the ugly toning ignored by PSA....

eBay auction: #301762299283

That's very noticeable. Seems strange to me that PSA ignores toning.

Are tan backs more prone to toning than white backs?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 10:14:53 AM »
That's very noticeable. Seems strange to me that PSA ignores toning.

Are tan backs more prone to toning than white backs?

Absolutely. There are also a couple of different types of tan back stock that were used. To me it has always seemed like toning is most common and most severe for tan backs from series 3-6. It can still happen with later series but it seems a lot less common.

Series 1 and 2 tans can have toning but it often looks different. Kind of like gray stripes rather than the brown mottled look.

Also worth pointing out that some cards from series 4-6 were made with glossy stock which doesn't succumb to toning. These glossies are most common for series 5, less common for series 4 and very uncommon for series 6. But they're nice if you can find them because they look bright white and never toned.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 10:42:10 AM »
Excellent, excellent point.  That initial period of wonderment and awe in seeing titles you completely forgot about does sort of fade and get replaced by a newfound familiarity.  Especially once Paul's Gallery book came out, pretty much every classic image is right there in one book.  What I try to do to keep the vintage Wackys experience fresh (and the new stuff too for that matter) is explore related areas, such as finding images or actual packaging samples of products, things like that.  Between ANS, Old School, postcards, etc., there's always something interesting to research.  On Greg's old site members would also share personal recollections from back in the day, which always made for fascinating reading.  Maybe we should revive something like that here, as a lot of members have come and gone since then.

Offline BAM

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 04:16:41 PM »
I received my complete (including puzzle pieces) 1st series today. Man I felt the wave of nostalgia coming on as I looked through them. I dunno if I paid too much or not ($300), but I (like the seller) would rate the cards as EX to EX+ condition. All the cards came already in penny sleeves/top loaders, except for Lavirus, which was PSA slabbed at grade 5. Band Ache is slightly off center to the left and Kook Aid has tanning on the bottom third of the back of the card (not visible from the front). The seller (moewibbley) took great pains in packaging the cards, wrapping them in multiple layers of bubble wrap and plastic, and shipping them in a sturdy cardboard box. He spent over $11 on shipping, and only charged $5. Credit where credit is due.

I now have, in addition to a 2nd series, a complete 3rd series on the way, in EX+ condition, for $41. :-)

If you guys don't mind answering some more noob questions, I have a few.

How up to date is this price guide?

http://www.wackypackages.org/priceguide/

Am I paying a premium for buying complete sets? Would I be better off buying individual cards?

Having held a PSA graded card in my hand, I really like the idea of PSA grading, and not just for the professional grading, but for the archival qualities of the slab. Is it worth the expense to send wackys to PSA for grading that you know will only get a grade of 5 or 6? How much value is added to a wacky to have it PSA graded, if you know it's only going to get a mid grade of 5 or 6?

I have more, but that's enough for now. ;-)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum Doug!     That's exciting, getting your package in the mail. Nostalgia is powerful.       We can all relate!

Would I be better off buying individual cards?

Part of the answer to this question is, do you want or need to have every sticker in a set - are you a "completest" as we say?

Some people want complete sets and it would drive them nuts to be missing titles.   Although I am highly obsessive, I am not a completest.

... Rob in Northern California

Offline BAM

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 03:15:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum Doug!     That's exciting, getting your package in the mail. Nostalgia is powerful.       We can all relate!

Part of the answer to this question is, do you want or need to have every sticker in a set - are you a "completest" as we say?

Some people want complete sets and it would drive them nuts to be missing titles.   Although I am highly obsessive, I am not a completest.

... Rob in Northern California

Hey Rob. Well, I suppose I'm a completest in the sense that I would like to own a copy of every wacky. But I'm not a completest in the sense that I will want to own all the different variations of the same wacky (white back, tan back, Ludlow, etc.). If I have a complete set of white backs in nice condition, I'm not going to try to complete the same set in tan back or Ludlow (at least not at this point in my journey).

On the other hand, I would never be satisfied with my 4th edition collection until I owned all the stickers, including Bum and Choke.

Hope that makes sense.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2015, 09:57:31 AM »
It's sometimes kind of hard to say if you can get a better deal by buying full sets or partial sets / individual cards.  Sellers do usually put a premium on a complete set versus partial lots.  But if you buy partial lots, you may find yourself struggling to find those final few cards you need to complete the set.  You might end up paying more in the long run because your either buying individual cards at higher prices or buying several more mixed lots to get those last few titles.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2015, 06:20:57 PM »
On the other hand, I would never be satisfied with my 4th edition collection until I owned all the stickers, including Bum and Choke.
my 4th edition series

End of lecture for today.    8)

And welcome to our Wacky world.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2015, 08:49:56 PM »
The Wacky Ads from 1967 and the Poster Series from the early 70's are also wonderful things to track down.

Offline drono

« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2015, 04:44:14 AM »
It also depends on how much you enjoy the "collecting" aspect and how patient you are.  I don't mind spending 2-3 years building a set because I enjoy the "adventure" of the search, and I've set a limit on what I'm willing to pay.  I'm willing to be patient because that deal will come -- especially on eBay.  Someone will have found one, not know what it is, and list it as a buy it now for a price that's below it's value.  If you're the first one to see it, and you grab it, then there's the exhilaration of knowing you got it and paid a fair or better price for it.  If you're not a patient person, you can have a field day and just buy until the bank starts repossessing your cars and foreclosing on your house.   >:D  Hopefully, you're somewhere in the middle.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2015, 07:17:58 AM »
I was hoping I would build my house out of wacky pack cards and then I could enjoy them while I live in it

Offline BAM

« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2015, 06:10:36 AM »
Well, I now have complete sets of series 1-5 on the way. :-) I've been working a lot of overtime, so no worries on the $$.

The 4th series I purchased includes Bum & Choke, but not Windex or Mess Clairoil. Anyone have an EX+ or better of either of those they would like to sell? Guess I should also post that in the trading section.