Author Topic: Fall Allentown Show (Philly) on Oct 17th/18th  (Read 16028 times)

Offline NationalSpittoon

Re: Fall Allentown Show (Philly) on Oct 17th/18th
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2015, 10:42:59 AM »
Personally, I've been looking for nothing much. The wacky that I want the most at this point is probably a Super Cigar Crisp. I know it's not too special itself, but I'm still looking for it. Tell me if there was any cool ones though! Thanks!

I'm only going with limited funds, but if there is anything you would like me to look for for you when I'm there, LMK soon Mark.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2015, 03:55:20 PM »
Ended up attending this show after driving 375 miles from Potsdam NY. Got there around 12. Saw Mr. Shoe.  Picked up Jason Brower's show exclusive prints and his 12 Days of Wackies print. Very cool items. Spoke with George Wright about Galactic Groceries. Looking like a very cool release. He had two new promo cards for it.
Spoke with Joe Simko and lobbied for him to do a Wacky Pack Tie-in  for his "30 years of Garbage" DVD. Met a Topps rep at their table and lobbied hard for Old School 6 on Kickstarter. He mentioned Topps is doing "Wacky MLB" where they "Wackify" baseball players. Joe Simko confirmed he will be working on cards for that set. Topps rep confirmed one retail release per year for Wackies.  He also noted Topps will continue with small collector releases sold online from time to time. He said they still care about the brand but have reduced plans for it based on retail sales of the last two releases not meeting volume expectations.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2015, 10:18:18 PM »
I was able to venture away from my table for a few minutes this morning, and was looking through some fairly beat up Wacky Packages that were being sold for $1.00 each. As I was looking through the 3rd Series stack, I thought there were two stickers stuck together... as I looked closer, it was actually a white-backed Crakola Crayons that I thought were two stickers! So naturally, I turn the stack upside down to see if there are any more... BINGO! two more white backs! (Hawaiian Punks & Luckbucky Stride) I couldn't pass them up at a buck each... plus, these are the first 3rd whites in my collection, with the exception of the OPC 3rd white backs.

For laughs & giggles, here's my painted name tag for the show...

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2015, 04:17:12 AM »
Cool find on the 3rd whites. They look to be in pretty nice shape too!

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2015, 04:44:13 AM »
Nice finds!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2015, 05:52:40 AM »
... BINGO! two more white backs! (Hawaiian Punks & Luckbucky Stride) I couldn't pass them up at a buck each...
Nice.
Luckbucky Stride? is that the nickname for a Lucky Stride for a Buck?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2015, 07:50:31 PM »
Ended up attending this show after driving 375 miles from Potsdam NY. Got there around 12. Saw Mr. Shoe.  Picked up Jason Brower's show exclusive prints and his 12 Days of Wackies print. Very cool items. Spoke with George Wright about Galactic Groceries. Looking like a very cool release. He had two new promo cards for it.
Spoke with Joe Simko and lobbied for him to do a Wacky Pack Tie-in  for his "30 years of Garbage" DVD. Met a Topps rep at their table and lobbied hard for Old School 6 on Kickstarter. He mentioned Topps is doing "Wacky MLB" where they "Wackify" baseball players. Joe Simko confirmed he will be working on cards for that set. Topps rep confirmed one retail release per year for Wackies.  He also noted Topps will continue with small collector releases sold online from time to time. He said they still care about the brand but have reduced plans for it based on retail sales of the last two releases not meeting volume expectations.

Thanks for asking about Old School. I hope something happens with that. I will be hitting them back up on that after the Wacky MLB series. Surprised they mentioned that already. One correction; it's still products being spoofed not baseball players...but with a twist.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2015, 09:32:31 AM »

Thanks for the updates.  It's nice to know Wackys are still alive in the minds of Topps executives. 

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2015, 09:34:06 AM »
I was able to venture away from my table for a few minutes this morning, and was looking through some fairly beat up Wacky Packages that were being sold for $1.00 each. As I was looking through the 3rd Series stack, I thought there were two stickers stuck together... as I looked closer, it was actually a white-backed Crakola Crayons that I thought were two stickers! So naturally, I turn the stack upside down to see if there are any more... BINGO! two more white backs! (Hawaiian Punks & Luckbucky Stride) I couldn't pass them up at a buck each... plus, these are the first 3rd whites in my collection, with the exception of the OPC 3rd white backs.

For laughs & giggles, here's my painted name tag for the show...

Love the name tag!

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #44 on: October 19, 2015, 05:48:15 PM »
Hands off! All things George are mine mine mine!! lol

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2015, 02:59:21 PM »

Had a great time at the show last weekend and hung out with some great guys. ;)
Clockwise from top left...Joe Simko, George Wright, myself, Jeff Zapata, GPK and MAD legend Tom Bunk, and GPK superfan Lucian.

anything