Author Topic: Topps Vault auctioning off 1981 Topps Wacky Package Irish Series proof sheet  (Read 8284 times)

Offline Joe G.

Seems like it's been awhile since the vault had some cool vintage items.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=351497638661&globalID=EBAY-US
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:29:08 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
cool ! thanks for posting that.
Made me realize I'm not getting any messages from eBay for some of my followed searches. Bay doesn't say there's a limit to how many you can follow, but I'm definitely getting screwed over on several that I'm supposed to be receiving emails for.

Offline DrDeal

Maybe because they left the S off the title?  When I searched for Wacky Packages on the Topps Vault Ebay store it did not come up   ;)

• Administrator
Maybe because they left the S off the title?  When I searched for Wacky Packages on the Topps Vault Ebay store it did not come up   ;)
yep, thanks to ebay's new, improved smart search, that search won't work.
I have a saved search for just wacky, but didn't get an email

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
cool ! thanks for posting that.
Made me realize I'm not getting any messages from eBay for some of my followed searches. Bay doesn't say there's a limit to how many you can follow, but I'm definitely getting screwed over on several that I'm supposed to be receiving emails for.

Patrick, I received an email from ebay yesterday (see below) where they had shut off some of my searches. They are ones that haven't had matches in awhile, but I had to go in and re-enable them. The email I received went into my trash folder so it was kinda lucky I even saw it. I wonder if you were victim of the same ebay house-cleaning.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:07:52 AM by sco(o)t »
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
$882.00....goodness. Who won it? Anyone here?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
$882.00....goodness. Who won it? Anyone here?

I did. Thanks for letting us know. I would have never noticed it. This is truly a spectacular piece.

• Administrator
I did. Thanks for letting us know. I would have never noticed it. This is truly a spectacular piece.
it's very nice
I don't think we've seen a sheet with the reduced sized stickers that shows the C&D'd titles previously. All the other sheets with the pulled titles were standard sized cards.
Makes me wonder if the measurements in the auction are wrong.
Let us know what size these stickers are?

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
I sort of knew Bum Chex was in the mix with his rifle on hand :]

I came in at $790 and then came The Wacky Sniper :]

Gorgeous Piece too :great:

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
it's very nice
I don't think we've seen a sheet with the reduced sized stickers that shows the C&D'd titles previously. All the other sheets with the pulled titles were standard sized cards.
Makes me wonder if the measurements in the auction are wrong.
Let us know what size these stickers are?

Im confused. What do you mean? What other sheets?

Offline BRUTE_88

Re: Topps Vault auctioning off 1981 Topps Wacky Package Irish Series proof sheet
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2015, 05:32:58 AM »
Im confused. What do you mean? What other sheets?

I think he is referring to the previous ones auctioned off earlier... I own the 1981 Irish Test sheet with the C&D titles as well as the puzzle back proof sheets.  They are the standard full-size stickers which match the Test Set.  I would be curious if these are the smaller ones as released in 1982 but with the 1981 copyright.

• Administrator
Re: Topps Vault auctioning off 1981 Topps Wacky Package Irish Series proof sheet
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2015, 06:41:29 AM »
I think he is referring to the previous ones auctioned off earlier...
yep.
Greg archived toppsvault auctions back when they sold off tons of great stuff. There were 4 different Irish sheets sold back in 2003.
3 have full size cards and they all have the C&D titles included. One of them even indicates which titles were to be pulled and has b&w photocopies of their replacements taped over them.
The 4th sheet has the smaller cards but without the titles.

It will be surprising and enlightening if your sheet is the smaller cards, as I don't believe small versions of the C&D titles have ever been seen before.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2015, 08:18:24 AM »
Congrats on the win! My wallet ended at $ 872  :'(

Offline BRUTE_88

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »
yep.
Greg archived toppsvault auctions back when they sold off tons of great stuff. There were 4 different Irish sheets sold back in 2003.
3 have full size cards and they all have the C&D titles included. One of them even indicates which titles were to be pulled and has b&w photocopies of their replacements taped over them.

It will be surprising and enlightening if your sheet is the smaller cards, as I don't believe small versions of the C&D titles have ever been seen before.

Exactly!  That is the sheet I have.. the one with the black and white copies taped over..and it has both the original 1981 copyrights, with a clear acetate overlay that shows the newer 1982 copyrights.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2015, 09:16:57 AM »
I just received notification that the package is out for delivery. I'll report back once I receive it.

Update - Sheet just arrived. They are the larger cards. This sheet looks amazing in person, plus to see the larger cards is fantastic.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 09:35:52 AM by BumChex »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
yep.

Looks like I got a pretty good deal compared to 2003:
http://www.wackypackages.org/auctionsarchive/irish_proof_3201622262.html

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2015, 02:57:44 PM »
Looks like I got a pretty good deal compared to 2003:
http://www.wackypackages.org/auctionsarchive/irish_proof_3201622262.html
Don't know if I'd say that. The '03 auction is for 7 sheets, each a different color separation. Didn't you get just the full color one? (not that that's bad...)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2015, 03:56:54 PM »
Don't know if I'd say that. The '03 auction is for 7 sheets, each a different color separation. Didn't you get just the full color one? (not that that's bad...)

Ahh. I didn't notice that. I'm surprised they didn't show all 7 sheets? This was back in 2003 so maybe they only allowed one picture.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2015, 08:21:46 PM »
This was back in 2003 so maybe they only allowed one picture.
There's little point in debating it, but I'm sure eBay allowed multiple pics at the time. More than likely, Topps was too lazy or too busy listing bunches of stuff to upload more than one pic per auction. This was during the ToppsVault boon...crap was coming out of the woodwork.

anything