Author Topic: The third Abrams Wacky Packages book  (Read 24854 times)

Offline mikecho

The third Abrams Wacky Packages book
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:26:30 PM »
I've got some ideas for the four bonus stickers in the third Abrams Wacky Packages book (if it's ever released, that is).

The first one is all four Disney Wackys from the lost 1992 Series - i.e., De'Ja Vu Master Sickey Mouse Viewer, The Little Barmaid, Bimbo and Bucktales (I figure Abrams could probably release 1,000 copies of this before Disney makes them take it off the shelves). Failing that, I've got three others - Tushie Roll, Mr. Potato Famine, Exximo Pie and Conun the Librarian (again, all from the lost 1992 Series (originally, the last two were going to be Reejeck Mumps Sneakers and Splat the Bunny, but they've been done already)), Cracked Animals, Fearstone Tires, Toadal and The Clodfather or Toadal, The Clodfather, Rotting Zone and Winsome Cigarettes. That's what I would pick if I were in charge of ideas for that part of the book (which I'm not, unfortunately).

Also, what I think could be in the book is:

*the 15th and 16th Series (obviously),
*the Wacky Can Labels (maybe photographs of each of the cans, since, as far as I know, there isn't any sticker art for them...or is there? Rusty's old website, lostwackys.com, has images of what they may have looked like as stickers),
*the new sticker from the 4th Rerun Series,
*the five new stickers from the 1982 Album Series,
*the three new stickers and the original versions of two other stickers (Doglix (later changed to Doglon) and Long Line Beer) from the 1982 Irish Test Series,
*the 1985 Irish Series (maybe this series and the five pulled stickers mentioned above could be combined into one chapter),
*the 1985 Series,
*the 1991 Series with all 28 of its Crazy Coupons (the coupons could be matched up with the stickers whose backs they were on, or put in a separate section right after the stickers),
*the 44 Die-Cuts (not the number variations, though),
*the Wacky Ads (including the two known lost Ads (Mixwell Hearse and Muleburro (first version)),
*the Wacky Package Posters (including the three replacement posters and the lost poster (Taster's Choke)),
*the Wacky Packages Tattoos (including the six lost tattoos that were finally released in OLDS 5),
*the Wacky Patches (including the various test patches),
*the two series of iron-ons (maybe a combination of both of them, since it seems the second series was identical to the first one, but with a few new ones added in it).

The dust jacket could be the yellow-with-red-letters logo from the 4th series and the title could be Wacky Packages: Brand New Series (like it was on the original wrapper) or Wacky Packages: Brand New Book.

Finally, does anybody have any idea when - or even if - this book is coming? Abrams hasn't said or done anything since 2010.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 11:00:39 AM by mikecho »

Offline crackedjerk

Re: The third Abrams Wacky Packages book
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:32:51 PM »
I have no info about another Wacky book from Abrams, but I'd sure love to see one.

I did see, however, that Abrams is coming out with a Star Wars book with the five series that Topps published in the 70's.  I think I'll pick it up.  I only collected the first series, but I thought it was really hot stuff back in the day.  There will be four bonus stickers in the new book and I'm curious to see what they will be.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 05:35:23 AM »
I wouldn't hold out hopes for a 3rd Abrams book of Wackys.  Having seen how consistently their books on card sets are sized, I believe the intended book size of each volume 1 & 2 essentially steered the content to what it ended up being, rather than formatting the books to accommodate 1-16 in its entirety.  And unlike us collectors and our completist tendencies, I don't believe anyone at Abrams has lost a minute of sleep having not covered Series 15-16.  I bought their Bazooka Joe book, and although it is good, it is noticeably unbalanced in content.  For example, there's very little covering the dollar-size comics, flavor-colored comics, cards and wrappers, but an entire wax comic series from the 1950s is shown one comic to a page, where just a few representative examples would have left more space to show other stuff.  Don't know if similar issues affect their other card series books such as GPK, Star Trek, etc., but it seems they don't agonize all that much about completeness of the presentation.  Also, the first 2 volumes were issued less than a year apart if I remember correctly; if they wanted to maximize sales of a 3rd volume it would have behooved them to act quickly, which they obviously didn't.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 08:46:35 AM »
I wouldn't hold out hopes for a 3rd Abrams book of Wackys.  Having seen how consistently their books on card sets are sized, I believe the intended book size of each volume 1 & 2 essentially steered the content to what it ended up being, rather than formatting the books to accommodate 1-16 in its entirety.  And unlike us collectors and our completist tendencies, I don't believe anyone at Abrams has lost a minute of sleep having not covered Series 15-16.  I bought their Bazooka Joe book, and although it is good, it is noticeably unbalanced in content.  For example, there's very little covering the dollar-size comics, flavor-colored comics, cards and wrappers, but an entire wax comic series from the 1950s is shown one comic to a page, where just a few representative examples would have left more space to show other stuff.  Don't know if similar issues affect their other card series books such as GPK, Star Trek, etc., but it seems they don't agonize all that much about completeness of the presentation.  Also, the first 2 volumes were issued less than a year apart if I remember correctly; if they wanted to maximize sales of a 3rd volume it would have behooved them to act quickly, which they obviously didn't.

spot on expectation and analysis - 'nuff said!!  :-[ :-[

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 04:44:36 PM »
I did see, however, that Abrams is coming out with a Star Wars book with the five series that Topps published in the 70's.  I think I'll pick it up.  I only collected the first series, but I thought it was really hot stuff back in the day.  There will be four bonus stickers in the new book and I'm curious to see what they will be.
and then next spring, a book for the three series for Empire and another for the Star Wars Galaxy 1 cards. Good times for classic SW fans

SW bonus cards that can be seen on the website show a series 3 sticker image and the box cover artwork

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 04:57:35 PM »

I'm afraid you're probably correct: A third book doesn't seem likely. The only hope I have is if someone with deep pockets funds an all-inclusive Original Series coffee table book (1-16, plus the diecuts, ads, etc). We can dream, right?!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 05:55:26 PM »
Wouldn't you agree that Paul's Last Wacky book pretty much accomplished that?  The only reason I could see for a coffee table book would be larger images, maybe some Wacky stories, reminiscences, etc., rather than another dissertation of all the technical information that Paul and Phil's books were known for.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 09:27:10 AM »
Wouldn't you agree that Paul's Last Wacky book pretty much accomplished that?  The only reason I could see for a coffee table book would be larger images, maybe some Wacky stories, reminiscences, etc., rather than another dissertation of all the technical information that Paul and Phil's books were known for.

As long as it has psychedelic backgrounds and the table of contents is on the wrong side....
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 02:57:52 PM »
As long as it has psychedelic backgrounds and the table of contents is on the wrong side....
hehehe

Offline dth1971

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 03:15:56 PM »
I thought there was preorders for a third Abrams Wacky Package book when I saw this thread, but there isn't one for now.

And about the Disney related Wacky Packages that never made the 1992 Wacky Packages series mentioned for bonus sticker inclusion if there was a third Wacky Packages book: Was it Disney that did a C&D on Topps to prevent the company to make a Star Wars Wacky Packages series in 2014?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 01:31:11 PM by dth1971 »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 07:46:09 PM »
and then next spring, a book for the three series for Empire and another for the Star Wars Galaxy 1 cards. Good times for classic SW fans

SW bonus cards that can be seen on the website show a series 3 sticker image and the box cover artwork

Good to know.  I don't think I'll get any other than the first book, but I applaud as many books as Abrams wants to put out on classic trading cards. 

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 09:41:55 PM »
I'm afraid you're probably correct: A third book doesn't seem likely. The only hope I have is if someone with deep pockets funds an all-inclusive Original Series coffee table book (1-16, plus the diecuts, ads, etc). We can dream, right?!

You don't have to dream - Kickstarter

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2015, 08:06:57 AM »

Great idea, but you'd have to get a lot of interest. Not only do you have the publishing, marketing and distribution costs, but also the licensing fees...

Offline dth1971

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2015, 01:30:37 PM »

I thought Kickstarter was the possible way to support a potential Wacky Packages Old School 6 series!

Offline Swiski

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2015, 04:39:40 AM »
Great idea, but you'd have to get a lot of interest. Not only do you have the publishing, marketing and distribution costs, but also the licensing fees...

We could always produce a free e-book for just our forum members. That way people can print their own pages and put them in a binder. This could be a group effort. I always thought it would be cool to have a book with each sticker on its own page with Wacky Facts (or Wacky Facks?) surrounding it. Not necessarily price value information, but facts such as info about the artwork or artist notes, if the art has been reprinted in later series, a photo of the actual vintage product the art is based on, etc. This would have been cool if Abrams did that, but I can understand the amount of work involved putting that together.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2015, 08:59:34 AM »
Steve, that is a very cool idea!  I know scans of some of the art exists on line and perhaps collectors who have others or really clean cards could scan them to fill the gaps.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2015, 09:38:07 AM »
Speaking of original art scans, are there any scans out there of Bloodweiser?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline mikecho

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2015, 09:56:34 AM »
You know, I've been thinking, and this whole thing could've been avoided if they'd just put OS 1-8 in the first book and 9-16 in the second one. Just a thought...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:37:13 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2015, 07:13:59 PM »
You know,I've been thinking,and this whole thing could've been avoided if they'd just put OS 1-8 in the first book and 9-16 in the second one.Just a thought...
Yeah, there was a lot of wondering about that at the time.

In hindsight, assuming a predetermined page count was the limiting factor as I suggested earlier, one way they might have been able to fit an extra series into each book would have been to take titles for which Topps did not have high-resolution scans and display them 2 or 4 to a page instead of one.  The benefit of filling a whole page is lost if you have nothing better than a xerox copy of a printed sticker to work with.  Of course, doing this would have looked strange too . . .

Offline mikecho

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2015, 03:35:40 PM »
I've been looking at this subject that I've started, and I think you guys are probably right. The two printings of the first Wacky book came out in 2008 and 2009, the 2010 Calendar in 2009 (they were going to release a 2011 Calendar in 2010, presumably with the same name and same four bonus stickers as the second book, but, sadly, it was never made) and the first, last and only printing of the second book in 2010. If Abrams was going to release a third book as I described it, they would've done it long ago (but then again, we've been wrong before).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:35:37 PM by mikecho »

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2015, 08:12:44 PM »
It would be nice if one of the Forum members could create a third edition book to complete the run. It could be a  problem with copyright issues .

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2015, 06:43:25 PM »
At this point we need a Complete Wacky Packages Series 50th Anniversary Book- 1967-2017. This will showcase everything Wacky related over the years. I can dream but seriously one Master book for 50 years is sorely needed. If done correctly at a Price point of $50-75, I think a lot of people would buy it. Just my thought but there is hope maybe the idea would stick.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2015, 06:53:00 PM »
At this point we need a Complete Wacky Packages Series 50th Anniversary Book- 1967-2017. This will showcase everything Wacky related over the years. I can dream but seriously one Master book for 50 years is sorely needed. If done correctly at a Price point of $50-75, I think a lot of people would buy it. Just my thought but there is hope maybe the idea would stick.

If this book were to be made, I would definitely be in it for that price range.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2015, 04:54:00 PM »
I am in at that price point.... Kickstarter!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2015, 07:08:02 PM »

I think such a book would be fantastic!  Not sure if it would be aimed at the hard-core collector (probably not, I would guess) or the "regular" collector as one would probably have to sell a decent number of copies and I don't know if there are that many of us fanatics left, but it would be great to have such a book.  There is so much ground to cover, particularly with all that's come out of the last decade plus, but even if it just hit the highlights rather than every bit of minutia, it would be a nice addition to the Wacky library.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2015, 07:28:00 AM »

This idea brings up the whole "50th Anniversary" discussion.  Will Topps produce a release to celebrate the milestone in 2016? The would be the 50th year.

Andrew

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 07:59:32 AM »
This idea brings up the whole "50th Anniversary" discussion.  Will Topps produce a release to celebrate the milestone in 2016? The would be the 50th year.

Andrew

I can't really think of anything they could do that would be worthy of a 50th anniversary celebration. A series of new titles wouldn't seem like anything special. And re-issuing old titles has been done to death at this point.

Offline quas

« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2015, 09:27:39 AM »
I can't really think of anything they could do that would be worthy of a 50th anniversary celebration. A series of new titles wouldn't seem like anything special. And re-issuing old titles has been done to death at this point.

Agree. And just about everything has been exhausted - lost Wackies, non-repeat die-cuts, etc.

The only thing that I can think of would be to release a "cigarettes and tobacco" issue that consists solely of all the Wacky titles that have not been reissued in those categories, and which artists have been prohibited issuing sketches of by Topps (other than in the Chrome issue).   >:D

The chance of Topps doing that, however, is zero.
Marc

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2015, 06:40:24 PM »

While I tend to agree that it's all been done, I would love to see a single book that contained an overview of Wackys and all the spin-off and related items.  For the casual collector or simply the person who loved them as a kid, but never started to recollect them as an adult, I think there might be a market for such a book. 

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2015, 01:57:55 PM »
Dang, I thought this was happening and I was actually going to get to buy something cool from Topps for the first time in years.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #30 on: October 27, 2015, 07:31:18 AM »
Agree. And just about everything has been exhausted - lost Wackies, non-repeat die-cuts, etc.

My suggestion is to do an all sketch release for the 50th -  no printed cards, just sketches! Just kidding, but what might be cool is a book featuring the "Best of" sketch cards from previous releases.

Another idea I think would be cool is a "Where Are They Now" set: Take the best of the classics reimagined for 2017. I think this would be a lot of fun and of course, I'll be happy to paint them all ;)

« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 07:54:31 AM by koduck »

Offline mikecho

« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2016, 06:49:01 PM »
quas, in reference to your statement on 10-25-15 that "just about everything has been exhausted", I wouldn't say that just yet. Many of the lost 1992 Wackies haven't been released yet, there are still some from the 1970s that still remain lost, and even a few from the ANS run are still out there (in fact, two that come to mind are Ironed Man and Avatart, two stickers that were supposed to be in ANS8's subset Wacky Packages Go to the Movies, but were never released as such).
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:37:57 PM by mikecho »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2016, 01:34:53 AM »
One of my favorite Lost Wackys is Fanatik, which Topps hasn't used yet.  I had hoped for that one in Flashback 2 so I could make magnets.

Offline quas

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2016, 03:09:57 PM »
One of my favorite Lost Wackys is Fanatik, which Topps hasn't used yet.  I had hoped for that one in Flashback 2 so I could make magnets.

That is a great one, and seeing the Saunders artwork makes it all the better.

http://www.wacky-packages.net/lost-wackys/lostwackys/fanatik.htm
Marc

Offline mikecho

« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2018, 01:26:34 PM »
I just saw that Harassame Street Magazine has just been released in the Wacky Packages Go to the Movies series, so I replaced it with Exximo Pie (see first post). And thank goodness that Avatart's finally been released! I was beginning to wonder if that one even existed! (see my post from 2-9-16)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 01:29:15 PM by mikecho »