Author Topic: How do you display your collection?  (Read 10710 times)

Offline DrDeal

How do you display your collection?
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:26:24 AM »
I only have 16 cards displayed. They are in the heavy Lucite Magnetic card holders.  The rest of my collection is housed in binders in a wood cabinet my dad used to keep his Vatican Stamp collection in.

Regards,  Andrew

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: How do you display your collection?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 01:14:53 PM »
I don't really display anything...but I have a few cabinets that help me store things manageably...

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 01:21:29 PM »
WOW!!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 01:27:19 PM »
The top shelf has two layers 😀

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 06:18:04 PM »
I don't really display anything...but I have a few cabinets that help me store things manageably...

(Image removed from quote.)
Some slammin' boxes ya got there, and I don't just mean the Wackys.  I'm  a sports card box collector too, and have managed to snag some nice bargains over the years from ebay, not to mention some good non-sport boxes like 1975 Comic Book Heroes.  Unfortunately my want list is still much longer than my haves list.  Would also love to find some classic candy display boxes like Gold Rush gum, Bazooka Joe, Garbage Can-dy, etc.

Question - do you place a solid infill inside the boxes so they keep a nice full rectangular shape, and if so, what material do you use?  Some boxes I've purchased came with styrofoam blocks more or less perfectly sized for the box it came with, but I can't imagine trying to shave a block down to size to fit a different size box.  The mess, static cling, etc. would be frustrating to deal with.  The only thing I've been able to come up with on my own is stacked pieces of corrugated cardboard, cut to fit one at a time.  It works well but is time consuming.  Was wondering if you have an easier solution, since you have quite a collection and they all look perfectly shaped.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 07:01:37 PM »
I originally had styrofoam in them, but I realized the boxes are in nice condition and are structurally sound enough to be stored empty. It's most important  for boxes that are collapsing and in bad shape to be filled, but high grade boxes don't really need it. Some of the sports boxes may still have styrofoam. I just don't like the idea because I'm afraid of possible staining.

Offline All-Brain

• All things 79-80 Reissue
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 07:24:40 PM »

Great, it posted it side ways.....

Anyway this is the Reissue collection

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 03:11:46 AM »

Beautiful case. That looks like it came from a retail store.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 03:49:39 AM »
Thank you. I wish I could post it larger and right side up lol

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 04:36:48 AM »
I originally had styrofoam in them, but I realized the boxes are in nice condition and are structurally sound enough to be stored empty. It's most important  for boxes that are collapsing and in bad shape to be filled, but high grade boxes don't really need it. Some of the sports boxes may still have styrofoam. I just don't like the idea because I'm afraid of possible staining.
Understood.  Guess most of my boxes do need the propping up.  And while I can appreciate the concern about staining, I'm more worried about boxes getting smushed, because I store my Wacky stuff all together in a rubbermaid tub where things are more likely to shift and throw their weight around.  Obviously I try to keep the heavier items at the bottoms and the fragile items at the top, but having the infills helps protect them that much more.  I also use poly bags to protect the outer artwork, similar to what your picture shows.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 05:00:49 AM »
Understood.  Guess most of my boxes do need the propping up.  And while I can appreciate the concern about staining, I'm more worried about boxes getting smushed, because I store my Wacky stuff all together in a rubbermaid tub where things are more likely to shift and throw their weight around.  Obviously I try to keep the heavier items at the bottoms and the fragile items at the top, but having the infills helps protect them that much more.  I also use poly bags to protect the outer artwork, similar to what your picture shows.

I have just one OS box, a Series 15 that's in really nice shape.  I've kept it inside the box it was shipped in so it doesn't get smushed, but it's pretty hard to appreciate it that way.  I had saved some styrofoam inserts from Old School to maybe use in the box, but they were too big, and cutting them down didn't seem practical as I'd never get clean edges.

Online sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 07:11:34 AM »
I have just one OS box, a Series 15 that's in really nice shape.  I've kept it inside the box it was shipped in so it doesn't get smushed, but it's pretty hard to appreciate it that way.  I had saved some styrofoam inserts from Old School to maybe use in the box, but they were too big, and cutting them down didn't seem practical as I'd never get clean edges.

Cutting with a long, serrated knife has worked well for me in the past when cutting styrofoam.  Can't say my wife was overly pleased, but that's another story. 
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 07:20:30 AM »
Cutting with a long, serrated knife has worked well for me in the past when cutting styrofoam.  Can't say my wife was overly pleased, but that's another story.

Thanks for the suggestion!  Not only do I not have a wife to annoy, I have a serrated knife in the basement that I bought to cut zoysia plugs for the yard. 

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 08:57:07 AM »
I wish I could post it larger and right side up
Here ya go: (click on it to enlarge)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 01:37:44 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion!  Not only do I not have a wife to annoy, I have a serrated knife in the basement that I bought to cut zoysia plugs for the yard.
This has got me thinking - I believe there's another type of foam used in craft projects, looks like styrofoam but without the mess, and cuts more cleanly.  I want to say polyethylene blocks?  Whatever it is, it's used for 3D type craft projects, like if you wanted to make a miniature snowman, homemade christmas ornaments, etc., you could buy pre-cut spheres, ovals, cylinders, etc. of different sizes and dress them up etc.  If this could be found in blocks approximating the size needed for display boxes, I would bet they could be trimmed to fit without too much trouble.  The depth would probably have to be pre-cut just right though; it would be difficult to trim a bulky area without ending up with a jagged, bumpy surface.

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2015, 07:23:37 PM »
Here ya go: (click on it to enlarge)

THANKS!!!!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 01:22:55 PM »
OK, I know some of you have seen this display before, but for those who haven't...

First pic is of the whole display/storage area. The other 3 pics are closer ups and have some labeling of objects. Please forgive me this, as I had no intentions of insulting anyone's intelligence or knowledge of what things were; I just wanted to be clear on what was here.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2015, 01:49:07 PM »
That is just awesome!  Aside from the items themselves, the display is beautiful.  Looks functional, too.  Someday I need to get my act together and make a display I can be proud to show to others.  It'd be nice to have an organized way to find stuff, too.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2015, 05:18:25 PM »
That is just awesome!  Aside from the items themselves, the display is beautiful.  Looks functional, too.  Someday I need to get my act together and make a display I can be proud to show to others.  It'd be nice to have an organized way to find stuff, too.
Thanks, Pat! When we renovated the basement 3 years ago, it was a great opportunity to set this up. The cube displays are from IKEA. I'm not gonna lie to you: the design of staggering things around the furniture openings (and some with door coverings, some with basket storage, etc.) all came from my creative spouse. It is pretty cool to be able to not have to hunt for long to find something.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2015, 07:38:39 PM »
Beautiful display!  I think those IKEA cube things work well to display stuff.

It's funny, but I don't think I even recognize the yellow postcard binder.  I think all the new stuff in the last decade is starting to run together a bit. 

Online Joe G.

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2015, 07:52:13 PM »

It's funny, but I don't think I even recognize the yellow postcard binder.  I think all the new stuff in the last decade is starting to run together a bit.

Tom, perhaps we need a binder list of all the binders produced by Topps!  Outside of the 17 binders in the special OS binder set, I think Topps produced 15 different Wacky Packades binders.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2015, 08:03:00 PM »

Thanks. I also think you're right about the new stuff...I'm certain I couldn't name, from memory, everything Wacky that's been produced since ANS1.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2015, 10:02:29 PM »
That is an awesome display BigTomi. I could literally sit there for hours looking at everything. I dont think Topps has it as organized as you :]

I use those Ikea cubes to store all my vinyl records. Perfect dimensions for those or any other collectibles

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 04:49:57 PM »
...and have some labeling of objects.... I just wanted to be clear on what was here.
I did struggle for awhile over the "OS boxes" label pointing to both original series boxes and Old School boxes...   :a102: :41:

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 05:03:31 PM »
I did struggle for awhile over the "OS boxes" label pointing to both original series boxes and Old School boxes...   :a102: :41:
Just one OLDS box on top of the pile. Sorry to confuse. hehe

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2015, 06:23:09 PM »
Your display is super nice!

I realize the reissues are not what most are into but I thought I might at least get a couple comments on it lol......
meh.......wheres the reissue love when you need it.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2015, 06:44:25 PM »
Hey Jeffre-issue!  I've always admired your collection, it is indeed, in my best Boston accent, "wicked awesome!"

Hope it made the transition to the new place safe and sound!

Offline All-Brain

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2015, 06:48:29 PM »
Hey Jeffre-issue!  I've always admired your collection, it is indeed, in my best Boston accent, "wicked awesome!"

Hope it made the transition to the new place safe and sound!
You awlays cheer me up! Thanks my friend.
I heard your "wicked awesome" like Jim Gaffigan does his Boston accent lol.........that cracked me up!

And......the "Jeffre-issue" ...how could we have not thought of that one before!!!! Brilliant !

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2015, 10:13:53 AM »
Wow!  So fun to see!!

OK, I know some of you have seen this display before, but for those who haven't...

First pic is of the whole display/storage area. The other 3 pics are closer ups and have some labeling of objects. Please forgive me this, as I had no intentions of insulting anyone's intelligence or knowledge of what things were; I just wanted to be clear on what was here.

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2015, 10:14:37 AM »
Freaking beautiful!!

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

anything