Author Topic: Unique Wacky Art  (Read 29853 times)

Offline Plan 9

Re: Unique Wacky Art
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2011, 05:53:24 PM »
Doomstone won't be a real Wacky on account of they no longer let us imply that the product will kill you.
Wacky Packs just lost another testicle.
Since series 8 could be the last one they should drop all their restrictions and just go with whatever's funny.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2011, 06:42:44 PM »
Since series 8 could be the last one they should drop all their restrictions and just go with whatever's funny.

One of the first rules that I heard when I started writing gags was that the product couldn't be presented as harmful. I think the rules were bent a little for ANS6 but I don't know if there were many examples of dangerous/deadly products in the ANS.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2011, 10:14:54 PM »
Timstoned pizza with Tim Leary tripping out on the package
Stay away from the brown pizza.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 12:00:06 AM »
One of the first rules that I heard when I started writing gags was that the product couldn't be presented as harmful. I think the rules were bent a little for ANS6 but I don't know if there were many examples of dangerous/deadly products in the ANS.
I'll never get over the stupidity of how seriously Topps and the brand owners take these things.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #39 on: February 11, 2011, 12:21:13 AM »
I'll never get over the stupidity of how seriously Topps and the brand owners take these things.

Regarding brand owners, I would tend to agree with you, and lets be honest, being parodied on a Wacky Package doesn't seem like the kind of thing that could possibly ever damage a brand.

At the same time, I think being an individual (or a corporation) who works hard to create a brand, one of the things that is part of that is that you get to protect that brand however you see fit, as long as its' legal.   And if you want to take your brand too seriously, even if everyone else thinks it's stupid, that's the beauty of owning it. 

I think most brand owners simply protect their brands as a rule, and don't see it as a priority to have someone picking and choosing what to let slide and what not to.   

I suppose, with the advent of M&M stores and the like, a few of these food companies actually have active intellectual property departments - maybe the cereal companies, too, with the mascots and such - and so probably deal with this kind of thing more often.  But how often do the folks at Tombstone Pizza have to worry about how their brand is being used? 
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2011, 03:20:31 AM »

Picking Tombstone to be parodied{?} was an excellent choice,Jay went above and beyond with all of the detail.
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2011, 04:01:58 AM »
Regarding brand owners, I would tend to agree with you, and lets be honest, being parodied on a Wacky Package doesn't seem like the kind of thing that could possibly ever damage a brand.

At the same time, I think being an individual (or a corporation) who works hard to create a brand, one of the things that is part of that is that you get to protect that brand however you see fit, as long as its' legal.   And if you want to take your brand too seriously, even if everyone else thinks it's stupid, that's the beauty of owning it. 

I think most brand owners simply protect their brands as a rule, and don't see it as a priority to have someone picking and choosing what to let slide and what not to.   

I suppose, with the advent of M&M stores and the like, a few of these food companies actually have active intellectual property departments - maybe the cereal companies, too, with the mascots and such - and so probably deal with this kind of thing more often.  But how often do the folks at Tombstone Pizza have to worry about how their brand is being used? 
Hey now. Here in Wackyland we don't defend corporate driven censorship for spoiling Wacky Packs. We call them stupid!

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 01:09:42 PM »
Hey now. Here in Wackyland we don't defend corporate driven censorship for spoiling Wacky Packs. We call them stupid!

Ha ha ha... fair enough.
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 03:40:02 PM »
Stay away from the brown pizza.

I hear it is not specifically too good.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline idiotcomic

• Anders
  • Anders
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2011, 01:09:16 PM »
No maiming or mortal wounding.  Cigar and cigarette butts also would have to go.  Although the original product IS called Tombstone...so how can you parody that?  Brownstone Pizza for urban rehabbers?   Gallstone Pizza...no...that would disparage the product by implying it's ingestion would lead to a medical condition.  Timstoned pizza with Tim Leary tripping out on the package...the pizza for acid heads? Forget it.  The Flintstones are a trademark...so don't go there.  Gemstone pizza?  Nixon? The Gemstone file?  Maybe for Old School.  Cell Phone Pizza?  That's a good one.  The kids LIKE cell phones!
cell phone pizza is funny!
Howdy!

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2011, 03:32:20 PM »
                                                                            New Orleans resident...........Matthew Kirscht

"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2011, 04:54:33 PM »

Wow, that is fantastic!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2011, 05:08:16 PM »
Really, really, cool!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2011, 05:33:39 PM »

Love it, great combo of Lice and H8!

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2011, 07:12:57 PM »
Thanks,fantastic job again by Matt the painting is 9x6,the idea came back to me when i inquired about an art piece featuring Matt's pumpkins.Congratulate Matt i basically just paid for the painting.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 07:22:48 PM by deadpresidentsvisa »

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2011, 08:29:31 PM »

4 years before the advent of Wackys, this was a hot item among members of the beat generation.  Anticipating the 50th aniversity of this image in 2 years, I released the reprint early....just in case the world ends on Saturday.  In l963, these things cost me 15 cents to make and they retailed for a buck fifty.  A dollar fifty of 1963 money equals about $18 of our current inflated currency.  So it is with that in mind that we have kept the price low, in accordance with l963 standards.  Matter of fact, the price is much lower in terms of the buying power of today's currency than it was in l963.   http://www.cafepress.com/jaylynch.470805128?utm_medium=cp_social&utm_source=addthis&utm_campaign=BasicShopPDP

Offline Gen 4

• ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
  • ĜƠȽĐƩƝ ƤĤƠƩƝÎӼ
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »

It’s nice to see some talent!!  :great:

Offline Goodbye^Kitty^

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2011, 08:56:26 PM »
Doomstone won't be a real Wacky on account of they no longer let us imply that the product will kill you.

And what exactly is it that you are allowed to imply anymore??? Gosh Topps!
KIM :)

« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2011, 05:34:57 AM »
                     quote author=jaylynch link=topic=428.msg29972#msg29972 date=1305862171
       JAY.......I heard they kept you pretty busy this past weekend,not sure about your diet 2 big macs.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2011, 08:49:12 AM »

Couldn't agree more - things that kill you ( or animals) are funny...it's supposed to be funny right?? Doomstombs looks great - what a cool Wacky it would make!!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2011, 01:12:51 PM »
4 years before the advent of Wackys, this was a hot item among members of the beat generation.  Anticipating the 50th aniversity of this image in 2 years, I released the reprint early....just in case the world ends on Saturday.  In l963, these things cost me 15 cents to make and they retailed for a buck fifty.  A dollar fifty of 1963 money equals about $18 of our current inflated currency.  So it is with that in mind that we have kept the price low, in accordance with l963 standards.  Matter of fact, the price is much lower in terms of the buying power of today's currency than it was in l963.   http://www.cafepress.com/jaylynch.470805128?utm_medium=cp_social&utm_source=addthis&utm_campaign=BasicShopPDP

Like the shirt...love the mug...my kinda mug..and saying...Great meeting you @ the Show!! Thx again for the signing!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2011, 06:27:09 PM »

You and Che, separated at birth? 

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2011, 06:56:02 PM »
This shirt came out in '63.  Che copied my design.

« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2011, 05:21:32 PM »
It would be cool if Jay could do a postcard title in the future as well. 
YES, IT WOULD BE KEWL!!!!!!!!!!!

« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2011, 10:57:30 PM »

NEIL CAMERA

« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:30:33 PM by deadpresidentsvisa »

« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2011, 04:20:07 PM »
                                                                         Have a nice big piece of Gloo Berry Pie
                                                                                         You know who

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2012, 05:09:08 AM »
Doomstone....................By Jay Lynch

DON'T FORGET TO PICK UP SOME DOOMSTONES,THEY GO GREAT WHILE VIEWING A SUPER GAME

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2012, 08:02:25 AM »

Not sure if this was ever brought up, but am I the only
one seeing something "strange" about this? 

The big carrot, the two round veggies...c'mon people  ;)

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2012, 08:05:27 AM »
Not sure if this was ever brought up, but am I the only
one seeing something "strange" about this? 

The big carrot, the two round veggies...c'mon people  ;)
I guess it gets "excited" when near those cute pests

Offline Hawaiian punks

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2012, 07:37:23 AM »
 I have wondered what medium, Oils, watercolor, gouache, etc, Jay and the other artist use?

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2012, 01:18:19 PM »
I use acryla brand acrylic gouache.  I think most of the other artists probably use gouache too. 

Offline Hawaiian punks

« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2012, 09:17:46 PM »
Thanks, Jay.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2012, 03:28:51 AM »
Here is an interesting item Jeff Zapata has up for auction on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170780715944&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2012, 07:09:14 AM »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170780715944&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123
DO NOT TRUST THIS 1,HIS FEEDBACK IS ONLY 38                HEHEHEHEHA

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2012, 01:26:26 PM »

check his completed, his did a few like that