Author Topic: A LITTLE GIFT TO THE WACKY PACKAGES COMMUNITY!!  (Read 10740 times)

Offline Gpann101

A LITTLE GIFT TO THE WACKY PACKAGES COMMUNITY!!
« on: July 26, 2015, 05:24:19 AM »
Greetings everyone!

I would like to share with you a few wacky packages concept ideas that I have unsuccessfully reached out to TOPPS for considerations. Since they do not accept unsolicited material.. I am sharing with everyone here! To view them, please check out my Facebook page.. Greg Panneitz Cartoonist. Feel free to like an share with others as I may continue sharing my other ideas not drawn yet. Thank you and enjoy!

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: A LITTLE GIFT TO THE WACKY PACKAGES COMMUNITY!!
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 05:56:33 AM »
I was going to post them here but it occurs to me you may not want that. In any event, they're very professional, if in a somewhat different style than the classic wackys. Good work!

Offline Gpann101

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 09:52:29 AM »
Thankyou Paul_Maul for the kind words!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »
Greetings everyone!

I would like to share with you a few wacky packages concept ideas that I have unsuccessfully reached out to TOPPS for considerations. Since they do not accept unsolicited material.. I am sharing with everyone here! To view them, please check out my Facebook page.. Greg Panneitz Cartoonist. Feel free to like an share with others as I may continue sharing my other ideas not drawn yet. Thank you and enjoy!

Post them here, many of us don't have a facebook page.

Offline quas

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 02:19:47 PM »
Post them here, many of us don't have a facebook page.

Agree.  And even for those of us who do have a Facebook account, I went to the Facebook page and couldn't find anything.  Direct postings or direct links are the best.
Marc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 02:53:41 PM »
I was about to post them for him, but I thought he might be soliciting visits to his page so I refrained.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 03:15:34 PM »
Agree.  And even for those of us who do have a Facebook account, I went to the Facebook page and couldn't find anything.  Direct postings or direct links are the best.
Try this: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Greg-Panneitz-Cartoonist/1026658110685212?sk=photos_stream

You shouldn't need to log in to Facebook to see his photos.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 03:19:34 PM »
Greg, thanks for sharing.  Your gags are great and your style is perfect for Wacky Packages!

Offline Gpann101

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 04:43:28 PM »
Thank you everyone and yes, promoting your work is always a good thing. I also wanted to show what else that I have done! Paul_Maul, you may share it here as I'm on a dumb phone( operator) and can't figure it out!

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 04:50:34 PM »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 04:51:32 PM »

Offline Gpann101

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 05:19:53 PM »
Thank you Paul_Maul! Feels good to see my art appreciated! At least if you see these ideas printed in the future, you'll know where they came from. I did everything I could to get TOPPS attention but you never know if someone claims them for their own. I've had ideas and art stolen before. Pretty demoralizing to an artist. Now after 20 years of bottling up my creativity..I'm ready to do what I can for fans to enjoy my art! I know there's a already a " Blue Bonnet" parody called " blue bommit"... I assure you that I've had a parody for that before it came out. Again,thank you all for your support!

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 07:48:52 PM »
Thank you Paul_Maul! Feels good to see my art appreciated! At least if you see these ideas printed in the future, you'll know where they came from. I did everything I could to get TOPPS attention but you never know if someone claims them for their own. I've had ideas and art stolen before. Pretty demoralizing to an artist. Now after 20 years of bottling up my creativity..I'm ready to do what I can for fans to enjoy my art! I know there's a already a " Blue Bonnet" parody called " blue bommit"... I assure you that I've had a parody for that before it came out. Again,thank you all for your support!

Your style looks very "Wacky"! I especially love the cow character. Don't worry about the products being parodied in the past, from what I understand Topps doesn't care at all if a product has been parodied previously, they just want products that kids will recognize. Which I think explains the rejection of my parody of Sensodyne Toothpaste - Tensodyne, the toothpaste for clenched teeth. (I didn't really submit that, but maybe for Old, Old School in 20 years!)

Offline Tom Keen

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2015, 07:02:36 PM »
Is Topps interested in poop and vomit gags?  I thought they tried to steer from that.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2015, 08:30:33 PM »
Is Topps interested in poop and vomit gags?  I thought they tried to steer from that.
There are a few titles like crapper jack and super smashed bros., but overall topps didn't feed us a line of bull

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2015, 12:38:37 PM »

There has not been an official Topps mandate against the 'poop and vomit' type gags in the ANS and other current Wacky series. It has been more of a concern from us Original Series Wacky collectors who grew up with them in the 70's... Because those Wackys didn't use that type of 'base humor'. Other than 7th series Alpoo dog food, they don't use 'bathroom' humor. So we don't like seeing current Wacky gags rely on this approach.
   My belief is that GPK arrived and embraced the potty humor format... And the current group of Topps artists and brand managers are more from the GPK generation than the Original Wacky generation... And have brought more of that gross / bathroom humor into how they write gags...for both brands.
   It is easy to write a poop or vomit joke... For any product. But to carry on in the tradition of Original Series Wacky Packages, we gag writers should avoid these jokes and strive for more thoughtful parodies.  -Smokin' Joe
Smokin' Joe

Offline quas

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 12:43:25 PM »
There has not been an official Topps mandate against the 'poop and vomit' type gags in the ANS and other current Wacky series. It has been more of a concern from us Original Series Wacky collectors who grew up with them in the 70's... Because those Wackys didn't use that type of 'base humor'. Other than 7th series Alpoo dog food, they don't use 'bathroom' humor. So we don't like seeing current Wacky gags rely on this approach.
   My belief is that GPK arrived and embraced the potty humor format... And the current group of Topps artists and brand managers are more from the GPK generation than the Original Wacky generation... And have brought more of that gross / bathroom humor into how they write gags...for both brands.
   It is easy to write a poop or vomit joke... For any product. But to carry on in the tradition of Original Series Wacky Packages, we gag writers should avoid these jokes and strive for more thoughtful parodies.  -Smokin' Joe

Agree wholeheartedly with Joe - avoid those!!
Marc

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 12:45:09 PM »

Rear, rear!   Errr, I mean... Hear, hear!
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 12:47:00 PM »

Hear, hear, I agree wholeheartedly!  I have never originated a poop or vomit gag and never will!  On one occasion the younger brand manager did add poop to a gag I submitted but I believe my record is still clean.   ;)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 06:03:04 AM »

Thx Smokin' Joe - I agree 120% - if you have to go there with potty humor then you really don't grasp the original concept of Wacky's - we ( Wacky Collectors) are not the easily amused like the 'feeble' minded GPK crowd - we expect clever humor that lasts along with the great artwork !!  I know I sound like Oscar the Mayor!! :] :] :]

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 06:42:47 PM »
I propose the following GIFTS:

- Chrome Binder
- 2014 Series 1 Binder
- 2015 Series 1 Binder

Common Gents - Get with the program!!!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 07:57:33 AM »

As others have said, I agree completely.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 10:02:20 PM »
I propose the following GIFTS:

- Chrome Binder
- 2014 Series 1 Binder
- 2015 Series 1 Binder

Common Gents - Get with the program!!!

I was hoping Topps would have these made already but again another let down. Who know when they will get these done. ;)

Poop thing has lingered a bit but I do like the Blue Vomit execution- well dung

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 12:56:33 PM »
Nice art and design OP. 

However I don't wish to see these type of gags in Wackys. 

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 09:18:25 PM »
Rear, rear!   Errr, I mean... Hear, hear!

There's a local plumbing company named, "Poot & Scoot Drain Cleaning" and I think of you when I see their van with the giant sign on it .

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2015, 08:32:31 AM »
----------^ HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Offline Crust

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2015, 04:05:34 PM »
ha those are pretty good! And yes its been along while since ive posted lol its good to be back!