Author Topic: Bonus cards vs Bonus Parallels  (Read 9520 times)

Offline Joe G.

Bonus cards vs Bonus Parallels
« on: July 25, 2015, 03:51:47 PM »
I'm curious to how collector's felt about the change from bonus cards to bonus parallels in Wacky Packages 2015?  I was a fan of it as I'm not that driven to collect parallels but like to have a card of each new Wacky in my collection.  Having every new gag being available as base card made that easy to achieve this time around.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Bonus cards vs Bonus Parallels
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2015, 03:05:15 AM »
I'm curious to how collector's felt about the change from bonus cards to bonus parallels in Wacky Packages 2015?  I was a fan of it as I'm not that driven to collect parallels but like to have a card of each new Wacky in my collection.  Having every new gag being available as base card made that easy to achieve this time around.

I didn't miss the bonus cards, or the Lost cards, especially since lately they've been in the mod pattern, which I'm not a fan of.  It was definitely easy to get every title this time, which I appreciated.  But, 12 parallels (not counting the pencils and autos) seems like overkill on steroids to me.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2015, 04:11:55 AM »
Speaking of pencils, did they do these for every title?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 04:15:25 AM »
Speaking of pencils, did they do these for every title?

Yep.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 05:37:42 AM »
I don't miss the bonus cards or lost wackies ....as long as their absence is not a signal that this was the last Wacky release for awhile and they didn't care as much about maximizing volume sold.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 06:36:46 AM »
Yep.

Can you post the Wiggly Packages #58 pencil?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 07:55:01 AM »
Can you post the Wiggly Packages #58 pencil?

Neil, here's the pencil.  Something weird happened on this set that I mentioned in an earlier post.   This time around it seems that the pencils were a mixed bag with some being roughs, some being pencils and some seem to be just B&W images of the final illustration.  Your Wiggly Pestcards seems to be the latter.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 01:32:36 PM »
Thanks Joe. Yep, I was wondering if they were going to use the pencil I did (about 6 million years ago)!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 01:58:41 PM »
Thanks Joe. Yep, I was wondering if they were going to use the pencil I did (about 6 million years ago)!

Can you post that ancient drawing?

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 04:19:20 PM »
What we need is a happy medium when it comes to bonus material. With the Walmart pack there is now another ludlow back.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 05:19:54 PM »
What we need is a happy medium when it comes to bonus material. With the Walmart pack there is now another ludlow back.
as well as the regular back with blue border.
seems like folks are only interested in the ludlow version, which of course means the standard back will be the tougher one to find in the future

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2015, 07:13:26 AM »
I care little about border variations, though I do like the foil "Bunions" in this set.

On the other hand, I've loved the bonus cards - they're very often some of the best material in the sets. I was thinking of starting a thread praising the best of them!

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 11:21:15 AM »
Mitch, well the bonus card gags in this set didn't go away.  Originally the set was designed with 14 bonus cards and what happened was that they became part of the base set when the set expanded.  So, in effect, you did get your bonus cards, you just didn't have to hunt them down.  Here's a fun fact that perhaps collector's don't know.  Bonus card gags are actually picked to appeal to older collectors, hence their inclusion in Collector boxes.  So bonus card gags tend to be more mature (if that makes sense) then the average ANS gag.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 11:41:33 AM »
Mitch, well the bonus card gags in this set didn't go away.  Originally the set was designed with 14 bonus cards and what happened was that they became part of the base set when the set expanded.  So, in effect, you did get your bonus cards, you just didn't have to hunt them down.  Here's a fun fact that perhaps collector's don't know.  Bonus card gags are actually picked to appeal to older collectors, hence their inclusion in Collector boxes.  So bonus card gags tend to be more mature (if that makes sense) then the average ANS gag.

Thanks for that tidbit Joe, I did not know that. Gives me a good excuse to go back through the bonus materials from some past releases with that in mind.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2015, 02:45:20 PM »
I am in total agreement with you Joe. I like having at least 1 card from every set without having to lay out a ton of dough. I am a complete ist & am not a fan of collecting parallels. As a matter of fact for me I just want the old fashioned black border so hopefully they continue on this path.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2015, 03:04:25 PM »

On the other hand, I've loved the bonus cards - they're very often some of the best material in the sets. I was thinking of starting a thread praising the best of them!

:-[
     :great:

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2015, 07:25:20 PM »
Can you post that ancient drawing?

I will if I can find it! In the meantime, here's a late pre-production drawing that was originally planned for the Wacky Postcard 7 wrapper.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 08:20:33 PM »

Joe - that sheds some light on the set designs and makes sense with my experience! I'm curious which cards were originally intended to be bonus cards in the 2015 set.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 01:42:08 PM »
Joe - that sheds some light on the set designs and makes sense with my experience! I'm curious which cards were originally intended to be bonus cards in the 2015 set.

Mitch, here are the ones I know for sure:
Haunt Jemima
Herbal Seances
MayDay
Cop Chips

It's also possible that Cheese Naps and Speed Sick were on the list.  Based on these you might be able to make a best guess for the rest.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2015, 07:26:20 PM »
And I may be wrong as well, but I think a version of Orville Redenbacher was in there, too?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2015, 12:39:56 PM »
I will if I can find it! In the meantime, here's a late pre-production drawing that was originally planned for the Wacky Postcard 7 wrapper.

Neil, too cool, thanks for posting.  I'm curious is there any particular reason that Wiggly Pestcards was pulled from Postcard Series 7?

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2015, 08:13:02 AM »

I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean by bonus parallels (would that be the two or three different colored "jersey" cards, for example), but I don't have a strong feeling one way or another.  I just wish they weren't as hard to find.  I'm referring to the patches and "jersey" cards here.  As for the different colored borders, I don't like those and wish they would reduce them dramatically, if not entirely.  I am glad that bonus cards were simply incorporated into the regular set since I do want to get a version of each gag.  For the past few series, I simply picked up a few bonus cards that were easy to get and lived without the others.  It bothered me, but I wasn't going to spend the kind of money necessary to get all 14 or so.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2015, 09:46:02 PM »
Wiggly Packages was one the true standouts in this set. Norm Saunders would approve. Well done my friend :great:

I love the bonus cards only because it just added that extra special touch to the collection. But I did find them easily in Target or Wal Mart multi packs mixed in with base sets so I dont know if it was  all really geared totally to adult collectors. Packs outside would advertise the bonus cards. I prefer this much more to parallel sets that can be a mission to put together and throw in Ludlow backs and you make things nearly impossible to the average joe :sad:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 09:51:06 PM by Choke_Wagon »

anything