Author Topic: Novelty Item Ideas  (Read 13373 times)

Offline 7-Pup

Novelty Item Ideas
« on: July 20, 2015, 12:33:58 AM »
How about a novelty item such as a box of candy bars? Say a 12 pack of candy bars made of rubber shaped like candy bars and wrapped with wrappers with artwork of candy bar titles ( 1 Butterfinger title, 1 Snickers title, 1 Baby Ruth title and so on). Another idea - soda pop cans. A 6 pack of soda pop titles ( Pupsie- Cola , Dr. Popper, Mtn. Goo, and so on). Also, a pack of Wormy Packages. Worm themed titles (possibly reworked original series 4 titles) featuring the Wormy Packages worms wrapped in a wrapper with the artwork of Wormy Packages. Bring Wackys to life! Any thoughts?   

Offline crackedjerk

Re: Novelty Item Ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 07:01:55 PM »
How about a novelty item such as a box of candy bars? Say a 12 pack of candy bars made of rubber shaped like candy bars and wrapped with wrappers with artwork of candy bar titles ( 1 Butterfinger title, 1 Snickers title, 1 Baby Ruth title and so on). Another idea - soda pop cans. A 6 pack of soda pop titles ( Pupsie- Cola , Dr. Popper, Mtn. Goo, and so on). Also, a pack of Wormy Packages. Worm themed titles (possibly reworked original series 4 titles) featuring the Wormy Packages worms wrapped in a wrapper with the artwork of Wormy Packages. Bring Wackys to life! Any thoughts?   

I'd love to see some novelty products such as the cans of soda you've described.  I love the little "fun size" cereal boxes that were used in some of the ANS.  I have a couple fan-made packs (Camals, Cracked Animals, and perhaps one other) that I think are fabulous.  I just wish Topps would officially license and create some real-looking products.  Geez, if nothing else, Topps could easily produce the trading card Wackys (Garbage Pail Geezers, various Wacky parodies, etc).

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 03:06:20 AM »
I'd love to see some novelty products such as the cans of soda you've described.  I love the little "fun size" cereal boxes that were used in some of the ANS.  I have a couple fan-made packs (Camals, Cracked Animals, and perhaps one other) that I think are fabulous.  I just wish Topps would officially license and create some real-looking products.  Geez, if nothing else, Topps could easily produce the trading card Wackys (Garbage Pail Geezers, various Wacky parodies, etc).

I have a Camals box with a flip top lid, a Cracked Animals box, a Paul Maul pack that I think may actually have cigarettes in it, and a Weakies box which is about 4.5" by 6.5". These are really nice fan-made items, and I'll bet Topps could make some stunners if they tried.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 03:12:25 AM »
I think the closest Topps has come to doing this is those vinyl toys they made about 8 years ago. I think they sold OK but not big time.

Online Joe G.

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 08:34:49 AM »
I think the closest Topps has come to doing this is those vinyl toys they made about 8 years ago. I think they sold OK but not big time.

Andrew that's very true.  I thought they were great and bought a bunch but overall it seems Wacky collectors didn't go for them.  I still have a box of extras in my attic.

Offline quas

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 08:44:10 AM »
Andrew that's very true.  I thought they were great and bought a bunch but overall it seems Wacky collectors didn't go for them.  I still have a box of extras in my attic.

Sometimes, especially for those of us who are married, it's just a matter of how much space things take up that helps in determining what we acquire or don't acquire.
Marc

Offline 7-Pup

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 12:24:11 PM »
Sometimes, especially for those of us who are married, it's just a matter of how much space things take up that helps in determining what we acquire or don't acquire.
The candy bar idea could be in a small box that could fit the size of 12 standard size candy bars. It's something that may not take up much space. But your right. If you are married, especially if you have kids, you might no have a lot of space.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 12:26:15 PM »
I purchased some pewter pins a few years back which had 'diecut' shaped images of the Ajerx guy, the Gadzooka teacher and I think the Wacky Packages logo. I think these were samples (not prototypes as there were a few sets made) that were presented to Topps but didn't get produced. Pretty good quality and nice colors and these had a cloisienne(sp) look to them. Came with a handwritten COA. I'd like a few more with the Morton Salt girl, Skimpy boy, Boredom cow, etc. esp if the quality was high like these pewter examples. Did someone on this board produce these?
A

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 03:04:06 PM »
I purchased some pewter pins a few years back which had 'diecut' shaped images of the Ajerx guy, the Gadzooka teacher and I think the Wacky Packages logo. Did someone on this board produce these?
If memory serves, those were done by Neil...if not the actual production, at least the design. I'm old, though, so I may be wrong.

Offline Kook

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 06:42:54 PM »
If memory serves, those were done by Neil...if not the actual production, at least the design. I'm old, though, so I may be wrong.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 08:48:25 PM »

Those pins are very nice.  Quite honestly, I don't know if  pin is the kind of thing I'd want, but perhaps if there was a small (say, 6-10) set of classic characters, I'd buy them.

I also recall a resin (?) statue (again, not quite sure if that's the right word to describe it) of the Skimpy boy/guy.  Very well done, but probably would be an expensive item if not mass produced in numbers that likely wouldn't be realistic to sell.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 09:19:34 PM »
I also recall a resin (?) statue (again, not quite sure if that's the right word to describe it) of the Skimpy boy/guy.  Very well done, but probably would be an expensive item if not mass produced in numbers that likely wouldn't be realistic to sell.
I recall this also, I believe it was Greg who presented it on his forum as a prototype of some sort. I don't recall who the artist was. I also remember him mentioning the expense would be fairly high and the difficulty of (mass) producing them. Unfortunately, that forum is gone and the messages are no longer accessible to dig up the details....

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 09:48:40 PM »

On a vaguely related note, I think Plan 9 (Mark Alfrey) created a few of these. Does anyone have one?     

http://potrzebie.blogspot.com/2011/09/topps-12-wacky-packages-statue.html

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 11:02:57 PM »

Yeah!That's the set - would like to see more classic characters - A

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2015, 02:39:36 AM »
Yeah!That's the set - would like to see more classic characters - A

The pins are really nicely made.  There were also a few pendant sets.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2015, 02:41:11 AM »
On a vaguely related note, I think Plan 9 (Mark Alfrey) created a few of these. Does anyone have one?     

(Image removed from quote.)

http://potrzebie.blogspot.com/2011/09/topps-12-wacky-packages-statue.html

I am the proud owner of one of Mark's fantastic Dr. Popper statues.

Offline quas

Marc

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2015, 04:37:13 PM »
Apparently it's a "collector's envelope", more of which can be found here, but I did not see any more Wacky ones:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/m.html?_ssn=mjs_philatelics&item=291091496422&_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=collector%27s+envelope&rt=nc
those seem quasi-illegal somehow. Real postage stamps, but with fake cancellation marks?
wonder what the law is on that.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2015, 05:02:25 PM »
those seem quasi-illegal somehow. Real postage stamps, but with fake cancellation marks?
wonder what the law is on that.

Yeah, weird. The Wacky one has a fake stamp (called "collectors stamp") but the others are real. This line in the description is funny

"The postage stamp is guaranteed to pass any third party authentication service for as long as you own the item!"

Well, duh, the stamp is authentic (none are worth more than change, even unused) but the cancellation and signatures are not.

But not many of these envelops were made, so they are rare  ;)       

Offline Kook

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »
Those pins are very nice.  Quite honestly, I don't know if  pin is the kind of thing I'd want, but perhaps if there was a small (say, 6-10) set of classic characters, I'd buy them.

I came across this on Rusty's site today & remembered your comment:

http://www.lostwackys.com/Wacky-Packages/crafts/skimpy-wacky-packages.htm

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »
Were those the sculptures Mark Alfrey did, or something else?

Offline Kook

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2015, 02:29:29 PM »
Were those the sculptures Mark Alfrey did, or something else?

I remember seeing the sculpture first on Greg's forum many years ago. I know Mark Alfrey did the Dr Popper, but I'm not sure he did skimpy, though it has a similar look & feel. Unfortunately, there is no info on Rusty's site other than the picture.

Offline Kook

« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2015, 08:47:38 PM »
More fun stuff:

Vintage Squeaky Dog Toy:

1967 Ad:

1971 Ad:

1973 Ad:

Offline 7-Pup

« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2015, 01:21:36 AM »
About my soda pop idea. How about pop can mugs? The size and shape of a 12 oz. pop can, aluminum can on the outside with pop title artwork all around it, ceramic mug on the inside to put your favorite drink in and a removable can top lid that could be put back when not in use. A mug handle would be nice as well.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 08:59:36 PM »
new stuff for GPK just released - little 4" vinyls. Could probably do some Wacky characters this way. Or the whole package - box, jar, can, etc.

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/2015-funko-garbage-pail-kids-mystery

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2015, 09:20:26 PM »
new stuff for GPK just released - little 4" vinyls. Could probably do some Wacky characters this way. Or the whole package - box, jar, can, etc.

http://www.cardboardconnection.com/2015-funko-garbage-pail-kids-mystery

(Image removed from quote.)

I would love to see these for Wackys.  Particularly if Topps did original series classic characters.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 07:56:50 AM »
Particularly if Topps did original series classic characters.
Particularly Only if Topps did original series classic characters.

anything