Author Topic: Wacky Packages 2015 Series 1 Reviews  (Read 6642 times)

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Wacky Packages 2015 Series 1 Reviews
« on: July 19, 2015, 03:03:50 AM »
This set is way too big to do a title by title review (for me, anyway!), so I've picked out my top dozen.

Cheese Naps - Good gags, and the drooling guy is fantastic.

Testy Kake - The testy monster kakes are really grumpy looking!  And the packaging looks spot-on.

Kraken of the Sea - This one just makes me laugh and think "Release the Kraken!!!"  And, I like the ten tacles.

Hit Kat - Great gag, and I love that mobster cat!

Rotz - I like the gag, but the zombie face crackers really bring it home.

Angry Jack - So reminiscent of original Wackys!  And the crepe line is too funny.

Wiggly Packages - How could I NOT like a Wacky Postcard parody, especially with the pests eating postcard titles? 

Burden - I like the gag about exhausted cows, but the painting of the cow and the bottle itself really grab me.

Chimperial - The chimp is really well done, as is the rest of the packaging, and the simple title gag just makes me laugh.

All Bark - More well done packaging, especially the way it curves, great main character, and the dog-eat-dog line gets me.

Fielders - OK gag, but the label and jar are outstanding!

Scram - A MUCH better gag than Cram!!  Cool characters, and "Mom is Making Mystery Meat" makes me laugh out loud.

There are a bunch that just totally fall flat for me, especially some that seem to have no depth or real detail, but overall there are enough I like that I am overall pleased with the set.

As for special inserts, etc., I still dislike the red borders, but the blue borders this time I actually do like.  The purples are annoying because they are so close to black - Topps should have at least put purple ludlows on all the backs to make them more distinguishable.  I miss the black canvas parallels.

Glad I pulled a wood insert, but they just don't seem very Wacky-ish.  The "wardrobe cards" are just silly, which at least makes them Wacky!  Haven't gotten an embroidered card yet, but they look cool.  I like the double size sketches, but they're hard to display.  I don't particularly appreciate tattoos, but I'll bet the kids do, so they're fine with me (except that there are 10 instead of 9!!!!!)

And, WHY could they not have made the two checklists cards 109 and 110 so the puzzles would line up in pages??   :-\

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: Wacky Packages 2015 Series 1 Reviews
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2015, 07:01:24 AM »
If I were to give a review, I'd pretty much say what you just said about the titles, so I'll just add a "ditto"!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2015, 07:16:50 AM »
Pat,  Thanks for the review. I agree with your take on this release also. Ditto.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2015, 09:32:11 AM »
Pat, I 100% agree about the puzzle mismatch caused by the card 49 check list.  Not sure how that happened but it's a major pain.  Also did anyone else have problems with the kiss cut on card 55 (Sam Gambino's awesome Digits-Or-Toes) being practically a die-cut.  Most of the versions of this card I pulled the center portion practically popped off the card!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 12:51:03 PM by Joe G. »

Offline quas

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2015, 09:55:18 AM »
Pat, I 100% agree about the puzzle mismatch caused by the card 49 puzzle.  Not sure how that happened but it's a major pain.  Also did anyone else have problems with the kiss cut on card 55 (Sam Gambino's awesome Digits-Or-Toes) being practically a die-cut.  Most of the versions of this card I pulled the center portion practically popped off the card!

Yep, I have that same problem!
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2015, 10:40:08 AM »
Pat, I 100% agree about the puzzle mismatch caused by the card 49 puzzle.  Not sure how that happened but it's a major pain.  Also did anyone else have problems with the kiss cut on card 55 (Sam Gambino's awesome Digits-Or-Toes) being practically a die-cut.  Most of the versions of this card I pulled the center portion practically popped off the card!

I couldn't stand the way the set looked in the pages, so I reordered everything after 48 and put 49 after 109.  I can deal with completely random backs like they've had before, but the 8 of 9 puzzle pieces in a page and out of alignment really bothered me.

And yes, my #55 cards are cut through too much.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 09:02:24 PM »

It's a variation. Actually mine are the same. Pissed me off. I may have one that isn't penetrated.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2015, 10:33:06 AM »
I couldn't stand the way the set looked in the pages, so I reordered everything after 48 and put 49 after 109.  I can deal with completely random backs like they've had before, but the 8 of 9 puzzle pieces in a page and out of alignment really bothered me.

Yeah, I moved 49 to the end of my set when I put it in pages.  Such a silly mistake on Topps's part.  I believe it was #55 that also was cut through in the top right corner of most of mine.

The two additional cards I really liked, besides most of the ones you mentioned, Pat, were Quits and Mighty Annoyin' Forest Rangers.  Though I'm not sure it belonged in a new set of Wackys (probably should have stayed in Old School), I love Quisp and thought it was a pretty solid painting and gag so I really enjoyed that sticker.  I also appreciate Dave G's artwork (and writing) and thought the MAFR was a classic in so many ways.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2015, 11:56:56 AM »
Yeah, I moved 49 to the end of my set when I put it in pages.  Such a silly mistake on Topps's part.  I believe it was #55 that also was cut through in the top right corner of most of mine.

The two additional cards I really liked, besides most of the ones you mentioned, Pat, were Quits and Mighty Annoyin' Forest Rangers.  Though I'm not sure it belonged in a new set of Wackys (probably should have stayed in Old School), I love Quisp and thought it was a pretty solid painting and gag so I really enjoyed that sticker.  I also appreciate Dave G's artwork (and writing) and thought the MAFR was a classic in so many ways.

Quisp has actually been re-released, although it's not always easy to find.  I stumbled across a display at the local supermarket a few years ago, and just had to buy a box.  Check out Amazon or Walmart on line, but be aware, it is not cheap!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 09:28:14 AM »
This set is way too big to do a title by title review

concur - it's a big set!

Some that you picked are in my tops as well.

I'd put many of Smokin' Joes pieces into my favorites list - I really enjoy his packaging realism and the look of the monsters on pieces like: TestyKakes, Rotz, Hunched and Monster Clean. His Chimperial stands out as well - beautifully executed - plus surprising to see the risqué 'Fur Pies' got through the censors.

My favorite of the set was Hello Kidney - which is why I went after the grand slam of variations on that piece.

One thing I really like about having the large base set, is it seems to have given room to allow more pieces by artists that only have a few each - Gambino, Pingatore, Wheaton, Taylor, Grossberg, Gregory, etc., as well as allowing space to include some lost pieces from Taylor and Camera. Lots of really strong, well done works, all with their own look. Makes for great overall variety in the set.

I thought there were a lot of well written puns and gags throughout the entire set. Unfortunately, I don't find some of them executed with sufficiently good enough art. I did my non-PC bit about this artist before, so I won't repeat, but there are a number of gags that would have been in my top favorites if only someone else had painted them. Cards like Chock Full o' Newts, Kraken of the Sea, Krispy Spleen and Silverfish. These all could have been stand-outs, but the art just does not work for me.

With the chase cards, while the logo and wardrobe were goofy concepts, I liked them both and thought they were fun. I'm glad we're not getting the same chase pieces set after set. I hope this variety continues into the future sets.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 10:17:40 AM »
Patrick, thanks so much for the thorough and thoughtful analysis.  Also thanks for the kind words on Krispy Spleen.  That was a gag of mine that I hoped Matthew Kirscht would paint.  I've attached the rough so you can see what I submitted.  Also I did want to mention that this rough and others of mine have been posted on my Twitter feed.  If anyone on the forum is interested in seeing a new Wacky rough every Wedneday and pictures of my kids follow me on Twiter at @vfx2g.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 10:26:00 AM by Joe G. »

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 02:15:55 PM »
Patrick, thanks so much for the thorough and thoughtful analysis.  Also thanks for the kind words on Krispy Spleen.  That was a gag of mine that I hoped Matthew Kirscht would paint.  I've attached the rough so you can see what I submitted.  Also I did want to mention that this rough and others of mine have been posted on my Twitter feed.  If anyone on the forum is interested in seeing a new Wacky rough every Wedneday and pictures of my kids follow me on Twiter at @vfx2g.

Why dont artists finish their own concepts? So many times I hear "I did the rough on that one" and someone else painted it....WHY???

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2015, 03:14:42 PM »
Why dont artists finish their own concepts? So many times I hear "I did the rough on that one" and someone else painted it....WHY???

Jim, some do.  It varies based on the artist and their experience level.  Also some artists specialize in gags (Parisi, Harris and Zies), some in paintings (Engstrom, Kirscht) and some in both (Smokin Joe, Simko, Camera, Wheaton).  In my case, I started out doing sketches and gags and have worked my way up to being able to do some painting.  Overall it's been a great way to learn what's needed to produce professional level work.  Remember there is an Art Director who oversees all the work we do and has to get gags approved and assign artists to ensure getting the work done on time.  So, don't take it as a negative that an artist finishes a gag that someone else originated.  I have to say when I see how Brent, Matthew or Dave Gross interpret my roughs, I'm always amazed and know they have crushed coal into diamonds.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 04:12:26 PM by Joe G. »