Author Topic: San Diego Comic-Con Wackiness  (Read 25680 times)

Offline Joe G.

Re: San Diego Comic-Con Wackiness
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 09:41:49 AM »
So, I did end up with some extra sets of these SDCC cereal cards and will sell them for $40.  I'm not trying to profit off the forum but my cost for getting to the con was a fortune so I'm including a little bit of that in the cost of the set.  PM if interested.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2015, 09:45:31 AM »
I shipped all the SDCC Exclusive sets yesterday.  If you bought one and haven't received your tracking number please PM.  Thanks JoeG.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2015, 12:46:07 PM »
Joe, this is incredibly awesome of you, thanks so much!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2015, 12:48:17 PM »
I shipped all the SDCC Exclusive sets yesterday.  If you bought one and haven't received your tracking number please PM.  Thanks JoeG.
Thx again Boss!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2015, 07:11:45 PM »

Joe, even though I got mine from you on eBay, thanks for getting extra sets. How many sets were you allowed to buy?

Sure, it's easy for people to ask others that are going to the show to pick them one up and they will pay for the set plus shipping because it's easy. If I wanted to go just for that set I would have spent a grand. I'm sure people will say that's not the only reason you go to the show but, for me, it would have been. I'm sure I would have had fun but it would be an expensive trip.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2015, 08:05:52 PM »
Brad, you're welcome and it was my pleasure.  It was limited to two sets a day.  We went for four days and my wife bought a few so I ended up with 10.  You're right that it cost a bit to go to the show (between Hotel, tickets and travel it was almost 2 grand) and it's also a pain getting the sets so even though we made a few bucks on them, I don't think I'd do it again.  I'm happy I was able to sell 'em on the forum as it looks like on eBay the price is super high.  But as you said it is fun  and the kids have a blast.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:13:34 PM by Joe G. »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2015, 08:15:48 PM »
Brad, you're welcome and it was my pleasure.  It was limited to two sets a day.  We went for four days and my wife bought a few so I ended up with 10.  You're right that it cost a bit to go to the show (between Hotel, tickets and travel it was almost 2 grand) and it's also a pain getting the sets so even though we made a few bucks on them, I don't think I'd do it again.  I'm happy I was able to sell 'em on the forum as it looks like on eBay the price is super high.  But as you said it is fun  and the kids have a blast.

They do say - you can't put a price on having a good time. You can't come home with money otherwise people would think you didn't have a good time.

Kind of like you get home from a trip and your wife asks you if you have any money left and you say NO. She will say - boy, I sure hope you had a good time. LOL
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:17:33 PM by BumChex »

Offline drono

« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2015, 04:05:18 PM »

How crowded was the show?  I've always wanted to go to the SDCC, and I ask because I took my son to the Baltimore Comic-Con a couple of years ago and there were way too many people for the space they allotted.  It was like standing in a six-lane traffic jam of people for 4 hours on a hard cement floor.  Because it was wall-to-wall people, you couldn't lean on anything, so you just had to stand in a tight cramped space while you waited to inch forward.  It's a good thing that I'm not claustrophobic or I'd have freaked out.  My legs and back were killing me when we finally got out of the building.  If the SDCC is like that, I would probably pass even though it's on my bucket list.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2015, 05:21:47 PM »
Dennis, your description of Baltimore Comic-Con is SDCC to a T.  There's an ebb and flow but on average it's a mad house.  That said, you should make the trek with your son at some point.  Next year, we're thinking of going only on preview night and Thursday to avoid the huge crowds.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2015, 09:15:20 PM »
Dennis, your description of Baltimore Comic-Con is SDCC to a T.  There's an ebb and flow but on average it's a mad house.  That said, you should make the trek with your son at some point.  Next year, we're thinking of going only on preview night and Thursday to avoid the huge crowds.

Thanks for that update.  I was wondering about that question too.  I have a cousin in San Diego (a bit older than I am and I don't know him real well, but he's invited me to visit him and check out SDCC) that I could at least stay with to keep costs down, but I wonder if the overall hassle is worth the money necessary to go.  I could probably go during the week, if that's when crowds are not as bad, but I'd also hate to go all the way out there and miss out on the best stuff.

Offline drono

« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2015, 05:30:50 AM »

Thanks for the heads up.  My son is going off to college this year, so I'm not sure if he would still be interested.  He wasn't interested in going back to Baltimore even though his much younger legs and back didn't hurt him when we left, and he's the one that's into comic books.  Maybe if I'd even seen anything Wacky Packages related, I might have felt better.  SDCC is definitely on my bucket list.  I could use frequent flyer miles, and I work for a hotel chain, so maybe I could find an employee rate room if they are available to keep the costs down.   

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2015, 01:57:05 PM »
Anyone else with wishful thinking....LOL
yes, I wished and I wished, and looked what showed up in the mail today....

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2015, 02:11:20 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Patrick, too cool!  I knew I had taken the hard way going all the way to San Diego to get them!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2015, 01:48:06 PM »

Is it just me or is DeCapitatin Crunch the most disturbing Wacky ever made?  When I first saw it I wondered if Topps had crossed the line by putting that one out.

After doing some research; I learned that Bhob's passing preceeded the first ISIS beheading by about 6 months. So it is co-incidental that that image evokes one of the most horrific terrorist actions even taken.  That said, it makes sense to honor Bhob by releasing the image ; but in a limited way that has little chance of being seen by kids.  If that was included in a retail release things could have gotten ugly.

Offline quas

« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2015, 02:37:50 PM »
Is it just me or is DeCapitatin Crunch the most disturbing Wacky ever made?  When I first saw it I wondered if Topps had crossed the line by putting that one out.

After doing some research; I learned that Bhob's passing preceeded the first ISIS beheading by about 6 months. So it is co-incidental that that image evokes one of the most horrific terrorist actions even taken.  That said, it makes sense to honor Bhob by releasing the image ; but in a limited way that has little chance of being seen by kids.  If that was included in a retail release things could have gotten ugly.

Can "Castration Crunch" be far behind?   >(
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2015, 01:55:35 AM »

I found it disturbing as well, for the same reason, which is why I asked when it was initially created.  I agree with you about the limited release, and not as a sticker in the regular retail sets aimed at kids.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2015, 10:36:12 AM »
Can "Castration Crunch" be far behind?   >(
I doubt they have the balls......

Offline quas

« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2015, 11:45:53 AM »
I doubt they have the balls......

Unless Dr.Ono performs the operation?   :icon_punal:
Marc

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2015, 02:02:10 PM »
Don't worry, You will get one but it won't be for cost. Anyone else with wishful thinking....LOL
I received my limited edition San Diego Comic-Con Wacky Packages Cereals 2015 postcards today from an Ebay auction and like them alot! They are the same exact size as the limited edition Topps Wacky Packages Political Art Parody Prints Postcards 2015 that the Topps Online Store were selling for about 10 minutes a couple of months ago (they sold out quick) so I am displaying both sets together in their own binder.

Am I correct that these are the first two Topps limited edition wacky packages postcard releases ever that aren't part of the official TOPPS WACKY PACKAGES REGULAR AND HALLOWEEN POSTCARD SERIES?

• Administrator
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2015, 04:13:23 PM »
Am I correct that these are the first two Topps limited edition wacky packages postcard releases ever that aren't part of the official TOPPS WACKY PACKAGES REGULAR AND HALLOWEEN POSTCARD SERIES?
depends what you mean by that.
there's been a bunch of limited single postcards that are not part of the regular sets:  Peepers, Weakies, Clubbed Crackers, Laffy Taffy, Baby Wrath

Offline chickenfat2010

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2015, 04:41:30 PM »
Oh good call....I'll add those single postcards that I have to my binder. But the POLITICAL POSTCARDS 2015 and WACKY CEREALS 2015 POSTCARDS are the only two SETS (multiple postcards in one issuing) that Topps has ever published, is that correct?

PS where's the CLUBBED CRACKERS postcard from? I only have a Clubbed Crackers artist bio card from one of the series

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2015, 04:57:03 PM »
Oh good call....I'll add those single postcards that I have to my binder. But the POLITICAL POSTCARDS 2015 and WACKY CEREALS 2015 POSTCARDS are the only two SETS (multiple postcards in one issuing) that Topps has ever published, is that correct?

PS where's the CLUBBED CRACKERS postcard from? I only have a Clubbed Crackers artist bio card from one of the series

Clubbed was a Philly Show Promo card.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2015, 06:59:10 PM »

Yes, I found it a bit disturbing too.  Funny how standards change.  Smokes and booze sold to kids in the 70's weren't disturbing, at least not to us kids, but as an adult, I'm bothered by the poor Capt. getting his head lopped off.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #58 on: July 21, 2015, 02:55:24 PM »
I'm bothered by the poor Capt. getting his head lopped off.
You must have a variation because the one I have is the Cap'n lopping off the Quaker Oats guy's head. 

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #59 on: July 21, 2015, 04:54:55 PM »
You must have a variation because the one I have is the Cap'n lopping off the Quaker Oats guy's head.

Tom, you must have a variation as well because the one I have he's only holding the head and brandishing his bloody sword.

• Administrator
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2015, 06:22:50 PM »
Tom, you must have a variation as well because the one I have he's only holding the head and brandishing his bloody sword.
hmmm, and the one I have has the Cap'n holding the Quaking Quaker's hat...  ;D

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2015, 06:27:58 PM »
Mine shows the Captain steel cutting the oats....A

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2015, 08:52:05 PM »

So you had people buying sets for you? Good for you but with such a limited supply I wouldn't think many would get them at cost. Why do you need 10 sets?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 11:12:16 AM by BumChex »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2015, 10:23:31 AM »

Yep, sorry, that's the one I saw.  I didn't care too much for it and never bought a set but must have reversed the order of who was cutting whose head off.

Offline quas

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2015, 12:07:31 PM »
Yep, sorry, that's the one I saw.  I didn't care too much for it and never bought a set but must have reversed the order of who was cutting whose head off.

Anyone willing to post a picture of each variation?
Marc

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »
This thread has confusion written all over it.  Would everyone please explain themselves?  Pat, why 10 sets? Variations, are there any?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2015, 03:08:51 PM »
This thread has confusion written all over it.  Would everyone please explain themselves?  Pat, why 10 sets? Variations, are there any?
Stop the madness, folks! I believe Patrick was getting for others. No variations, I'm quite sure.

I was just poking fun (poorly) at crackedjerk's reversed reference, as the Cap'n was the one doin' the decapitatin'.

• Administrator
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2015, 04:26:42 PM »
we're all just joking around. there's no variations.
you can take a glance at the pic of the 10 sets I posted above - all identical.

• Administrator
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2015, 04:32:17 PM »
So you had people buying sets for you? Good for you but with such a limited supply I wouldn't think many would get them at cost. Why do you need 10 sets?
only wanted 1 set for myself, but my SDCC contact was able to more, so I took them up on the offer.
The remaining 9 have all spread around to others who were looking for sets.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2015, 06:04:53 PM »
Don't dogpile on Patrick, he's the soul of a cool Wacky brother looking out for others, never going for profit only dishing out Wacky love!