Author Topic: 1986 English Re-run series un opened pack  (Read 10464 times)

Offline hurricanes

1986 English Re-run series un opened pack
« on: June 27, 2015, 10:24:59 AM »
Not been on this forum in years. Found something that prompted me to ask a question.

Going though a bunch of stuff and found a Red Plastic unopened Wacky wax pack had since I got it in 2003 on ebay. It was listed as "1970's Irish Red Plastic Wacky Packages Pack" by the seller back in 2003.

I looked up on ebay today and found a wrapper of the same pack for sale by tedjeffrey. Tedjeffrey lists it as "1986 Topps Wacky Packages English Re-run series wax pack wrapper 0-450-0-6". Tedjeffrey states in his listing "THE RAREST WACKY PACKAGE WRAPPER OF THEM ALL". States has only seen 3 or 4 for sale in last 10 years. The unopened pack I have has the same wrapper number.

He is also selling the wrapper at almost $400. Question is, why is this so rare as he states? Are unopened packs of this series difficult to locate?

Offline Kook

Re: 1986 English Re-run series un opened pack
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 10:49:11 AM »
Not been on this forum in years. Found something that prompted me to ask a question.

Going though a bunch of stuff and found a Red Plastic unopened Wacky wax pack had since I got it in 2003 on ebay. It was listed as "1970's Irish Red Plastic Wacky Packages Pack" by the seller back in 2003.

I looked up on ebay today and found a wrapper of the same pack for sale by tedjeffrey. Tedjeffrey lists it as "1986 Topps Wacky Packages English Re-run series wax pack wrapper 0-450-0-6". Tedjeffrey states in his listing "THE RAREST WACKY PACKAGE WRAPPER OF THEM ALL". States has only seen 3 or 4 for sale in last 10 years. The unopened pack I have has the same wrapper number.

He is also selling the wrapper at almost $400. Question is, why is this so rare as he states? Are unopened packs of this series difficult to locate?

I remember when I was working on completing my pack collection 6 or 7 years ago, I think I paid $850 or $900 or thereabouts for my UK reissue pack. I had been looking for one for years and hadn't been able to locate one. A fellow collector wanted the money more than the pack. He basically said it's a tough pack but I'll sell it for $x if you want it. Anything less and I'll just keep it. It was the last pack I needed, so I bought it. I have yet to come across another for sale since.

I sold mine a while back as part of a private sale for a bit less but have no idea what it would fetch on the open market now.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 10:53:27 AM by Kook »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 10:50:36 AM »
It's not clear why this pack is rare, it kind of just is. I don't think the wrapper is worth $400, because frankly almost no one is a hardcore wrapper completist, so the supply and demand match up decently. It is true that both the pack and wrapper are quite rare, though.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 10:53:13 AM »
I remember when I was working on completing my pack collection 6 or 7 years ago, I think I paid $850 or $900 for my UK reissue pack. I had been looking for one for years and hadn't been able to locate one. A fellow collector wanted the money more than the pack. He basically said it's a tough pack but I'll sell it for $x if you want it. Anything less and I'll just keep it. It was the last pack I needed, so bought it. I have yet to come across another for sale since.

I think I paid $250 for mine in 2005, but the seller was not looking to rape me and probably could have gotten more even then.

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 10:59:24 AM »
Back in 2003, when I first got on Ebay, I had not collected a wacky pack of any type since the 1970's(when I was in elementary school). On Ebay I saw one for sale and basically started buying up what I thought was rare. Didn't know anything about this particular one but bought it anyway. My buying of them fizzled out within a  year or two(I think). In same box I found this wacky pack, I found a Neveready keychain, a Sweathard pin, and some cereal premium wacky's.

Offline Kook

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 11:02:14 AM »
I think I paid $250 for mine in 2005, but the seller was not looking to rape me and probably could have gotten more even then.

As a side note, this is a similar story to the OPC reissue wrappers/packs. The contents of the UK & OPC reissue packs are the same as the USA reissue stickers, so the only thing that is unique is the wrapper. If found as a pack, there is certainly no value in cracking it open.

Since the UK reissue pack is plastic like the '82 Irish pack, opening the pack without destroying the wrapper would be very tough. I had purchased a full '82 Irish box and wanted to build sets. I tried to carefully open the wrappers, but they tore all over the place. I ended up having to cut most of them open for fear of damaging the stickers. My guess would be that it's just as tough, if not more so to find an in tact UK wrapper as a pack for this reason.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2015, 11:06:05 AM »
Maybe. That makes sense, though I do have a nice wrapper I got from Greg as well.

Offline Kook

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2015, 11:09:17 AM »
Back in 2003, when I first got on Ebay, I had not collected a wacky pack of any type since the 1970's(when I was in elementary school). On Ebay I saw one for sale and basically started buying up what I thought was rare. Didn't know anything about this particular one but bought it anyway. My buying of them fizzled out within a  year or two(I think). In same box I found this wacky pack, I found a Neveready keychain, a Sweathard pin, and some cereal premium wacky's.

Would be cool to see a pic of the sweathard pin.

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2015, 11:26:53 AM »
Excuse my ignorance. How do I attach a file?

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2015, 11:36:54 AM »
As an aside, in same box, found some cloth type wackys. I acquired them in the early to mid 1970's but have no idea how I got them. Hung on to them. I sent a scan of them to a lady that was the writer or editor of a publication called THE BEAT GOES ON. She told me she had never seen them before. Subject was dropped. I can send a pic of these if anyone wants to take a shot as to what they might be.

Offline Kook

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2015, 11:38:48 AM »
Excuse my ignorance. How do I attach a file?

Just above the text box, there's a link called * Add image to post. If you click it, it will prompt you to upload the file.

Offline Kook

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2015, 11:39:31 AM »
As an aside, in same box, found some cloth type wackys. I acquired them in the early to mid 1970's but have no idea how I got them. Hung on to them. I sent a scan of them to a lady that was the writer or editor of a publication called THE BEAT GOES ON. She told me she had never seen them before. Subject was dropped. I can send a pic of these if anyone wants to take a shot as to what they might be.

Yes, please post pics of them too.

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2015, 11:55:36 AM »
Will do later in evening.

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2015, 04:07:06 PM »
Here is pin, front and back

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2015, 04:11:04 PM »
Found these stickers also. They are 3 in a row with adhesive back, and they can be removed one
by one. Same stickers you see stuck on the outside of a Wacky Package box

Probably came in a roll and I assume that in the plant(or wherever these boxes were put together), someone
would take one sticker off and stick it to the box.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 04:34:12 PM by hurricanes »

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 04:21:29 PM »
These are 4 examples of cloth wacky patches that I acquired in the 1970's. Have no idea how I got them, dont remember(but it was around the time the original wacky packages were in the stores). These are not thick like the Wacky patches. They aren't in the the Wacky Packages Gallery. As I mentioned before, sent scan of them to Roxanne Toser many years ago. All she told me was that she had never seen them before and wanted to buy one. I will also place a scan of the back.

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 04:29:23 PM »
Here is back of original 4. Also upclose front and back of a different one.
My theory is they were part of a larger piece of cloth in which the different wacky pack images were imbedded.
They they were cut out.
I certainly never owned the cloth if it existed.
I probably got them from some other wacky package collecting kid then as I was only 10 to 12 years of age.
And I wasn't dealing with adults then. This was in South Miami, Florida. There were no conventions or
specialty stores. I simply walked across the street to the school I went to. Traded the wackys with others.
I would buy the packs at 7-11 or Eckerds retail store or the "Tobacco Shop".

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 04:36:51 PM by hurricanes »

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 04:56:46 PM »
I would assume they were cut out from a larger piece of the well known wacky packages fabric...

« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 04:59:38 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline Kook

« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2015, 08:18:00 PM »
I would assume they were cut out from a larger piece of the well known wacky packages fabric...

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

Paul "Sherlock Holmes" Maul!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 05:55:13 PM »
I am the proud owner of the "rare" UK Reprints - I HAVE actually tried to collect all the wrappers (OCD I guess!!!)

Here is mine:

Offline hurricanes

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 07:57:28 PM »
That one seems to have survived the opening process pretty well.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2015, 12:58:18 PM »

I assumed Bill meant opening the wrapper without separating it at the back so it would still look like an unopened pack.

Offline Kook

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2015, 01:52:15 PM »

I assumed Bill meant opening the wrapper without separating it at the back so it would still look like an unopened pack.

I actually meant opening the pack so the wrapper wouldn't tear anywhere there wasn't a seam. I actually did fully open the Irish packs so the wrappers looked similar to the UK wrapper in this thread. If you look closely to the UK wrapper in the thread, you'll see the 2 lower corners both have tears. When you actually open these plastic wrappers, they have a tendency to tear before they separate along the heat sealed seam. I don't know if that's a function of age, or if they were that way when they were first made.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2015, 03:00:13 PM »
I actually meant opening the pack so the wrapper wouldn't tear anywhere there wasn't a seam. I actually did fully open the Irish packs so the wrappers looked similar to the UK wrapper in this thread. If you look closely to the UK wrapper in the thread, you'll see the 2 lower corners both have tears. When you actually open these plastic wrappers, they have a tendency to tear before they separate along the heat sealed seam. I don't know if that's a function of age, or if they were that way when they were first made.

Oh. My wrapper is not opened like these, it's just separated along the top seal.

Offline Soremel

« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 10:46:00 AM »

Out of the handful that I've opened, only one had any issues. Compared to the new foil packs, these were a pleasure to break into!

anything