Author Topic: 2nd series OPC uncut sheet  (Read 6663 times)

Offline sunsweat

2nd series OPC uncut sheet
« on: June 09, 2015, 11:09:15 AM »
I recently bought a bunch of stickers from Canada.  It turned out to be a 2nd series uncut sheet that a kid cut up into individual stickers.  One card, Poopsie, has the sheet code on it.  4-427-05-04-3.

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: 2nd series OPC uncut sheet
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 11:56:04 AM »
Here is a Facebook exchange I had recently with Ernie de la Fuente:

Ernie de la Fuente:

Dont know if anyone is tracking this stuff any more but I found that  at least one version of OPC 2nd series original uncut sheet code is 4-427-05-04-3.  Doesn't that imply it was a 4th version of the sheet and it was from 1973?  I know there was some speculation at one point about OPC being 1974 and later.

Dave Schmidt:

Wow. Pretty sure this is unknown. Pretty confusing too, because the 4th series OPC sheet is uncoded. The code you describe seems like it should be the 4th re-setting of the domestic 2nd series sheet. The only thing I can conclude is that for these early OPC series, the final version of the domestic sheet was used to set up the OPC sheet, and was coded accordingly. That would certainly suggest the OPC came last. It may still have been released in 1974 in theory. At some point they must have stopped coding the OPC sheets.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 03:53:50 PM »
are the stickers OPC copyright?
or are they standard topps, but the seller happens to be in Canada?

either way, that's a new sheet number, post removal of Run Tony

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 04:17:09 PM »
confusing too, because the 4th series OPC sheet is uncoded.
this is just a Gallery mistake.

For whatever reason both the sheet list on page 115 and the image say 'uncoded', but there are clearly digits in the color image in the book.

Greg's site has a better view, but still can't quite make out the numbers. Does Jeff still have the sheet?

so Series 2 OPC was sheet 4, series 3 was likely sheet 3 and 4 was likely sheet 4? All one higher than the last topps #?

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:37:03 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline sunsweat

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 12:09:54 AM »
are the stickers OPC copyright?
or are they standard topps, but the seller happens to be in Canada?

either way, that's a new sheet number, post removal of Run Tony
[

/quote]

The stickers are OPC

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2021, 05:29:08 AM »
Here is a Facebook exchange I had recently with Ernie de la Fuente:

Ernie de la Fuente:

Dont know if anyone is tracking this stuff any more but I found that  at least one version of OPC 2nd series original uncut sheet code is 4-427-05-04-3.  Doesn't that imply it was a 4th version of the sheet and it was from 1973?  I know there was some speculation at one point about OPC being 1974 and later.

Dave Schmidt:

Wow. Pretty sure this is unknown. Pretty confusing too, because the 4th series OPC sheet is uncoded. The code you describe seems like it should be the 4th re-setting of the domestic 2nd series sheet. The only thing I can conclude is that for these early OPC series, the final version of the domestic sheet was used to set up the OPC sheet, and was coded accordingly. That would certainly suggest the OPC came last. It may still have been released in 1974 in theory. At some point they must have stopped coding the OPC sheets.
I heard that greg is reporting this as a new find on his forum when we discussed this 6 years ago.  I guess he is getting desperate for discussions to take old findings and declare them as new like he is piecing together anything to give him some kind of sleuthing credibility.  Really kind of pathetic.

What made me think of this is that I heard an uncut OPC sheet was unearthed recently and trying to track it down.  Anyone hear anything on this?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 05:36:58 AM by bandaches »
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2021, 09:06:02 AM »
I heard that greg is reporting this as a new find on his forum when we discussed this 6 years ago.  I guess he is getting desperate for discussions to take old findings and declare them as new like he is piecing together anything to give him some kind of sleuthing credibility.  Really kind of pathetic.

What made me think of this is that I heard an uncut OPC sheet was unearthed recently and trying to track it down.  Anyone hear anything on this?
I had forgotten that this discovery and info was posted here over 6 years ago!

I don’t recall hearing of an uncut OPC sheet, other than the one that this Poopsie was cut from. (The image of the Poopsie card shows it was hand cut, as it’s maybe 3” wide or so, containing both the copyright of Schlick to the left and the sheet code to the right.)
But then, my memory is clearly not as good as it used to be. 😄

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2021, 09:29:35 AM »

At least I am in good company  :]

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2021, 09:44:05 AM »

The scary part is I participated in his current discussion about it and had ZERO memory of ever discussing it with you or of anything I said above. Scary.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2021, 02:23:12 PM »
The scary part is I participated in his current discussion about it and had ZERO memory of ever discussing it with you or of anything I said above. Scary.
I know sheet codes have been one of the hottest topics over the years as we all want to be able to tell the story.  While I don't memorize codes, I was very certain we knew of at least one OPC code so when greg reported it as a wild new find of the first OPC code, I knew that wasn't true without even checking anything. Because the search engine here works reasonably well, it took me seconds to find this thread.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2021, 02:24:41 PM »

I don’t recall hearing of an uncut OPC sheet, other than the one that this Poopsie was cut from. (The image of the Poopsie card shows it was hand cut, as it’s maybe 3” wide or so, containing both the copyright of Schlick to the left and the sheet code to the right.)
I don't recall specifically how I stumbled on that info, I thought I too had a miscut card showing the code, I will have to check.  I was just certain we knew of at least one OPC code.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2021, 07:23:34 AM »
At least I am in good company  :]
Probably safe to say we are mostly if not all in the same boat when it comes to forgetting having covered a topic in years past, or the re-telling of stories told previously.  I know I am guilty of the latter, but with the passing of years I’m sure newer members are hearing some of it for the first time.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2021, 09:19:42 AM »
Probably safe to say we are mostly if not all in the same boat when it comes to forgetting having covered a topic in years past, or the re-telling of stories told previously.  I know I am guilty of the latter, but with the passing of years I’m sure newer members are hearing some of it for the first time.
Love telling the newbies about this stuff, but sheet codes are a huge centerpiece of the timeline for wackys....for a self proclaimed expert like greg, I would have thought he would have had the details rolling around in his head or the wherewithal to check if something is a new find.  I now realize neither apply with him which isn't really surprising in hindsight.

anything