Author Topic: My first Wacky Package was…  (Read 4280 times)

Offline JailOJohn

• Sticking Wackys on Furniture since 1973...
My first Wacky Package was…
« on: September 05, 2021, 09:25:06 PM »
Get the memories flowing back to the 1970s….what was your first Wacky, and how did you get it???
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 09:28:23 PM by JailOJohn »

Offline MadMike

Re: My first Wacky Package was…
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 10:41:12 PM »
Since we probably started purchasing them from the store and opening them all at once, it might be hard to answer that question. I can tell you my first most memorable wacky as a child. It was neat and disturbing all at the same time. It was also harder to find for some reason. For those reasons, I was intrigued by it. It was Kentucky Fried Fingers. I thought the art work was amazing.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 05:08:51 AM »
That was one of my all-time favorites…That chicken with the glasses was pretty disturbing….
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 05:31:07 AM by JailOJohn »

Offline BattleCaps

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 05:23:31 AM »
I just remember it was the 9th series in packs.

Offline faustxxx

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 06:22:17 AM »
     My Father's buddy came over to shoot some billiards and he gave my Brother and I each one pack of Wacky Packages from the 1973 second series, I was almost 8 then and when I opened the pack to get the gum I saw Hurt's and fell in love with that painful face and I just was totally hooked ever since.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2021, 07:17:20 AM »
Halloween 1969 - "Lavirus" diecut

Offline DaffyBP

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2021, 07:23:12 AM »
I can remember that it was a big craze among my classmates, mostly with the boys, and the 8th series was the one fresh at the stores. Back then, there were still small mom-and-pop grocery stores. There was a corner store on the north side of town that carried them. Although Daffy Baking Powder might not have been my first, it was the early stand out, along with Kentucky Fried Fingers and Kong Fu.

Online mikecho

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2021, 07:49:04 AM »
I remember it was the 2nd Series in packs. The standouts that come to mind were Awful-Bits, Fish-Bone Russian Dressing, and especially the two cat food Wackys - 8 Lives Tuna Bones and Putrid Cat Chow.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 08:41:10 PM by mikecho »

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2021, 07:58:29 AM »
Definitely 1st Series, I’m thinking Mrs Klean May have been the first, but can’t say for sure.  Gadzooka, Tied, Chock, Jail-O, Crust, Kook-Aid and Skimpy were also among the earliest encounters.

The mention of Kentucky Fried Fingers reminds me of past threads discussing Wackys that actually frightened us on first sight as kids.  For me the 5th Series had several of them.  I don’t remember many titles from the 8th, certainly not Kentucky Fried, but I can say for sure that that title plus Hostile Thinkies probably would have given me nightmares.  Funny how none of that was enough to turn me off of loving WPs in general.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2021, 08:59:45 AM »
Series 4, purchased from the Majik Market. The cards from those first packs were Cheapios, Chef Girl ar Dee, Escuire, Wormy Packages, Brute 88 and Freetoes.

Oddly, the way I remember it, the store charged 10 cents a pack, but most packs had three cards.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2021, 10:11:02 AM »
My first Wackys were given to me by a friend who was already collecting them before I became aware.  5th series was out at that time and I remember him giving me a Head & Boulders and a Ha Ha Crackers.  By the time I found and bought some of my own from the store, 6th series was already out.  Those 5th series cards held a special place in my original childhood collection since they were the oldest titles I had.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2021, 11:50:28 AM »
4th Series is really the earliest I remember buying my own packs with my own pocket change, however sparse that was.  I was only 6 when first exposed to Series 1 and 2, and I remember more or less picking up table scraps - duplicates from the older kids on my block, brotherly donations and such.  4th and 5th were the first time I acquired any appreciable volume.  If I ever completed any series in the whole run, it would have to be either of those or both.  No way of ever knowing of course, because nearly everything I had disappeared somehow.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2021, 02:00:47 PM »
Define "disappeared somehow." Unscrupulous movers, parents pitched them, siblings stole them, or just plain Bermuda Triangle missing...

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2021, 03:26:28 PM »
4th Series is really the earliest I remember buying my own packs with my own pocket change, however sparse that was.  I was only 6 when first exposed to Series 1 and 2, and I remember more or less picking up table scraps - duplicates from the older kids on my block, brotherly donations and such.  4th and 5th were the first time I acquired any appreciable volume.  If I ever completed any series in the whole run, it would have to be either of those or both.  No way of ever knowing of course, because nearly everything I had disappeared somehow.

same here!

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2021, 07:09:29 PM »
Diecuts, bought at the store next to my grammar school. Probably Skimpy and Slum Maid were the first cards and they are definitely the cards I remember most! 6 Up and Kook Aid I recall too.
A

Offline drono

« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2021, 07:26:22 PM »
I went to the Tinee Giant to buy baseball cards, but they didn't have any.  So I bought 1st series tan back wacky packages instead and loved them.  Unfortunately they all got washed in my pants pocket after carrying them around to show to my friends.  The only one I remember surviving was Grave Train.

Offline ToadallyDude

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2021, 02:07:04 AM »
While I distinctly remember the 8th series being what first got me crazy for Wackys in that summer of 74 when 7,8,9, posters, tattoos, and then series 5 and 2 were available from our icecream man... I'm fairly certain that my very first Wacky sticker was actually "Crakola", which I got in a "prize box" in 2nd grade.  My teacher had an old shoebox in her cabinet that was filled with random cheap toys and trinkets, a couple coins, plastic rings, plastic spiders, and on rare occassions... the odd trading card.  So, never seeing Wackys before, I picked the only one in the box as my 'prize' for doing something prize-worthy in class that day (which was probably an anomaly as I was usually instead selling my old toys for kid's lunch money or working out an angle to get out of class early before recess... yah, that punk kid on the Gadzooka sticker... that's me.)

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2021, 04:07:55 AM »
Define "disappeared somehow." Unscrupulous movers, parents pitched them, siblings stole them, or just plain Bermuda Triangle missing...
Probably tossed out by parents.  I was generally not given the courtesy of an explanation.

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2021, 08:08:01 AM »
Is Tinee Giant some kind of grocery store chain?

Offline drono

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2021, 08:36:05 AM »
Is Tinee Giant some kind of grocery store chain?

It was more like a 7-11 convenience store.  I didn't realize that it was regional until I found it on Wikipedia.  It was part of Giant Open Air markets in Southeastern Virginia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_Open_Air

Giant Open Air Market was a Norfolk, Virginia-based supermarket chain. Its trademark stores were open 24 hours a day, and the entrance was framed with an arch which rose to over 30 feet, anchored in concrete.

The chain grew to include 26 full-line grocery stores and 43 "Tinee Giant" convenience stores. The stores were known for the vastness of the variety in the selections. The international line of groceries that they carried attracted national press at the time. Giant Open Air Markets would carry exotics like chocolate-covered ants from Japan, pickled eel, English teas, Greek and French cheeses and Russian caviar as well as Latin American foods. The sign over the front door read "Finest Foods of the World", reflecting their diverse selections.

While most of the ones near me have become Sentry Food Marts or have been taken over by gas stations like Exxon, the Tinee Giant convenience store chain still has several locations in Hampton Roads, VA.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2021, 09:39:23 PM »
It was the first series. I was about 12 but I don't remember the specific Wacky. I'll say Chock Full of Nuts and Bolts just because it feels right.

I also have a vague memory when I was about 6 or 7 and an older relative had some diecuts. I remember examining Cracked Jerk and Muller.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2021, 01:16:38 AM »
I got two packs the first time, and pulled a Cap'n Crud and an Awful Bits (don't remember the others).  I was hooked!!  The next time I got two more packs, and they were Series 1; I don't recall the titles directly, but when I started actively trying to complete my sets in the 90's, I made a list of what stickers I already had, and there were very few Series 1 titles.  Must check my notes.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2021, 02:00:43 PM »
I got two packs the first time, and pulled a Cap'n Crud and an Awful Bits (don't remember the others).  I was hooked!!  The next time I got two more packs, and they were Series 1; I don't recall the titles directly, but when I started actively trying to complete my sets in the 90's, I made a list of what stickers I already had, and there were very few Series 1 titles.  Must check my notes.

I remember my Mom sneaking 3 boxes of the original 3rd series circa 1974 up the stairs to hide for Christmas!  I had a blast opening them up....  I sure wish I kept the wrappers and boxes, but of course "who knew" that they would have value today!

Offline JailOJohn

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2021, 12:44:42 PM »
Boxes? Lucky you!

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2021, 04:40:23 PM »
Boxes? Lucky you!

I think they were less than 2 bucks a box in 1974...  at $.05 per pack

Offline 6_Fooey_Ounces

« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2021, 02:50:15 PM »
just because it feels right.

Gurgle, I love that quote.
I can't remember the exact first but......what feels right for me is.... a Crust...
From the Dairy Deli in New Jersey (koduck....hope you remember that store!!  Near Bill's Luncheonette).

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2021, 11:48:45 AM »
My family moved when I was a kid, and at my new school I was introduced to Wacky Packages on the playground during recess, as classmates traded and looked at them. I bought them from the ice cream man and at the corner liquor store. Don't recall my 1st title, but foremost in my mind are Mustard Charge, Dum's, and Kentucky Fried Fingers.

BTW, at my new school, sometimes a kid would get "canned". A groups of boys would pick on a kid by cornering him, grabbing him, and shoving him into a cylindrical metal garbage can on the playground. Then they'd tip the garbage can over and roll the can around, with him in it. Why this was bullying was allowed to happen I don't know.   

« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2021, 12:38:40 AM »
Mine were from series 1 back in 1973. I bought a pack, loved them immediately, then went back to the store to buy several more packs. My first memories were of Liptorn and Minute Lice, along with Fink and Broadcrust Hash. Of course the other series 1 stickers followed. I bought them by the box starting with series 2 because I went crazy looking for series 1 everywhere to complete the set. I had the candy store owner hold a box for me. What a wonderful question to start a thread.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 12:41:11 AM by De-Mented Tomatoes »

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2021, 10:26:19 AM »
I think they were less than 2 bucks a box in 1974...  at $.05 per pack

$2 was a lot of money for an 8 year old in 1973... at least it was to me