Author Topic: The crazier collector - WP or GPK?  (Read 3608 times)

Offline mutigers77

The crazier collector - WP or GPK?
« on: June 08, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
So, I got to thinking through my customers and some of the history with each product...and I'm starting to wonder which collector base is more dedicated...GPK or WP? Better yet, which of the fanbases is crazier when it comes to collecting their sets/gags/Sp's etc...

I'm convinced that the WP base is simply more dedicated but the GPK base is crazier when it comes to that certain card.

There is a little overlap with collectors (chasing both products), but generally its divided.

Whose more dedicated to their product? Who's the crazier one? Thoughts?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: The crazier collector - WP or GPK?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 02:39:19 AM »
Wackys predate GPK by 18 years, so we do have some older fans who have been at this for 40 years or more.  I don't know whether GPK fans had forums and pursued variations, etc. during the years between the originals and the ANS releases, but Wacky collectors certainly did.  And, we had reissues, 1985, 1991 and album stickers to buy in between.

I'm something of a crossover collector in that I have GPK 1-15 with all the variations.  But I didn't really think about them again until I started getting the first few GPK ANS sets.  When the insert levels got to be so expensive in ANS, I gave up on GPK and spent that money on Wacky chase cards instead.  "Dedicated" is definitely the right word to describe this Wacky collector!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 07:34:53 AM »
I'm something of a crossover collector in that I have GPK 1-15 with all the variations. 

I'm curious.  How much is a complete 1-15 run of original GPKs worth?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 08:51:11 AM »
I'm curious.  How much is a complete 1-15 run of original GPKs worth?

I'm not sure, but I figure at least $750.  Series 1 sometimes goes for as much as $500.  I should probably dig these out and sell them to make room for Wackys.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 11:45:13 AM »
Raw Goo - Did you collect the GPK's when they first came out??? Good for you!!!
My much younger cousin told me about them in the early to mid 80s but by then the first 2 series had been sold out everywhere.
I did get some series 3 and gave them all to her as back then I didn't see the appeal. I appreciate them now and find some of
the more recent cards pretty funny and even clever. A friend of mine who was a kid in the 80s told me one of the goals was t0
find a card parodying your own name - Alex

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 12:16:21 PM »
Raw Goo - Did you collect the GPK's when they first came out??? Good for you!!!
My much younger cousin told me about them in the early to mid 80s but by then the first 2 series had been sold out everywhere.
I did get some series 3 and gave them all to her as back then I didn't see the appeal. I appreciate them now and find some of
the more recent cards pretty funny and even clever. A friend of mine who was a kid in the 80s told me one of the goals was t0
find a card parodying your own name - Alex

I did collect them in the 80's.  I was going to occasional card shows back then, so even though I loved buying packs, sometimes I'd just buy a complete set from my favorite card dealer - that made it a lot easier to be sure I got all the variations!  Actually, my keeper reissue Wacky sets came from him as well, because I was never able to complete those with packs.

You'd get a kick out of my offices.  I gave most of my coworkers stickers with their names.  People have them on cubicles, cork boards, and taped to monitors.  I chose Pat Splat for myself.

Some of the recent ones have been very clever.  I like when there's a Wacky in the background, or something else really recognizable, like the one that has Jetfire.  But there got to be so many chase cards I couldn't keep up with both GPK and Wackys.  Wackys won, hands down.

Online Joe G.

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 01:11:16 PM »
As Pat pointed out there is a generational difference between Wacky and GPK collectors and it seems each generation gets crazier then the last.  In terms of dedicated, a few years ago I would have said Wacky collectors hands down, but lately I think GPK collectors have caught up.

Offline mutigers77

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 10:23:03 PM »
Yep, couldn't agree more. I'm interested to see how my kids respond to each of the products. My 7 year old goes crazy over all the WP cards...and actually spends a good amount of time reading/checking out each card. But with the GPK it's a bit more 'non-interesting'. With that being said, I'd have to say that opening GPK cases are more enjoyable.

anything