Author Topic: People's Choice Postcards  (Read 2776 times)

Offline Baked Bears

People's Choice Postcards
« on: January 26, 2017, 04:20:40 PM »
To the "Jedi Council," or just plain "Council,"

For your consideration...

Being that Topps has really gotten into Print-on-Demand (though I've just noticed the numbers have recently dropped,) I offer the following:

A set of 6 postcards - that number seems to pop up a lot (so as not to offend the traditionalists) - to be issued on a biannual basis.  Beginning with "Original Series #1," people would vote on their favorite stickers from that set that they would like to see be made into postcards (to better appreciate all the skill and creativity that has gone into them.)  During a limited window - maybe two weeks or maybe one month - Topps would put up a "voting booth" on their website.  The people would cast their votes, then Print-on-Demand sets would be produced based on whatever stickers received the most votes.  In the case of a tie (or multiple ties,) the Council could simply flip a coin or roll a die (and nobody would be the wiser.)

The "voting booth" program would have to be configured in such a way that it would remember and recognize email addresses so it could prohibit multiple votes from any one email address.  (Or maybe one could register in advance?)  This would not prevent, but curtail at least, say, somebody such as myself, for casting 1000 votes in favor of "Mutt's Apple Juice."

The original artwork would remain exactly the same.  So if one viewed the card from the front, it would simply look like a larger Wacky.  (Nothing else - absolutely nothing at all - would be done to the front!  That would be sacrilege!)  In cases of different copyrights issued on any one given card, either choose one copyright and go with it, or do not include it at all.

On the backs, provide historical facts relevant to that respective card:  Which series it came from, the name of the artist, copyright information, etc..  (I believe something similar to this was once done before on a Topps only set?  I do not own it, so I am unable to look.)

Midway through the year, the process could be repeated again.  (This way, a lot of us old fogies might stand somewhat of a chance of seeing all of the sets before, well, ...

Offline crackedjerk

Re: People's Choice Postcards
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »
I'd love to see a postcard-size set of Wacky "Greatest Hits", particularly if the backs contained some interesting historical information.  Something along the lines of what David Saunders has written on the forum years ago or Jay Lynch has written in the Abrams books and calendar.  Not sure who would do such a thing, but I think it'd be wonderful to see.

Online quas

Re: People's Choice Postcards
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 06:44:29 AM »
I'd love to see a postcard-size set of Wacky "Greatest Hits", particularly if the backs contained some interesting historical information.  Something along the lines of what David Saunders has written on the forum years ago or Jay Lynch has written in the Abrams books and calendar.  Not sure who would do such a thing, but I think it'd be wonderful to see.

Would probably never happen because of legal issues, but what would be great to see would be OS 1-16 as panoramics, with the right side being the Wacky and the left side being the image of the original product, such as has already been tracked down for a substantial number of OS 1-16 Wackies.
Marc