Author Topic: Would You Support Old School 6 on Kickstarter?  (Read 26541 times)

Offline DrDeal

Re: Would You Support Old School 6 on Kickstarter?
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2015, 02:55:34 PM »
Still waiting to hear about OS6. It's not dead, just being talked about still. Just in case I did write up a good Kickstarter proposal and sent that to them a few weeks ago. I think it was really tight with lots of good ideas and I didn't mention colored borders and back types at all! Don't know yet what route they will take or none at all.

Nice to see KS was presented as an option. I just moved to the pledge level on the Mars Attacks KS that gets you a "Heritage" style base set.  I really like the "old school" look of the "Heritage" sets with a description of the scene on the front of the card.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2015, 08:14:26 PM »
Levine, at Topps, has these and other comments about the subject over on Blowout, regarding Mars Attacks

"That's the big thing: quality. By utilizing Kickstarter, we've been allowed to go outside of our normal production process. Which is going to allow us to be a lot more flexible. It's going to mean a lot more work for me, but in the end, hopefully a better product will be the result, and you guys will be the beneficiaries of it. But yes, customizing your purchase, being able to get exactly what you want. You'll be able to buy by the box, but also bundles of items, master sets, etc. I see it as a big opportunity, and an advantage of going through Kickstarter... because also don't have their red tape. I can give our sketch artists a lot more time, I don't have to nail down a product configuration as soon, giving me more flexibility to make changes based on what's working, what's not and most importantly, how fans are responding on Kickstarter. Definitely looking at higher quality sketches-- fewer sketches per artist, or at worst MUCH LONGER deadlines (and that's something that Kickstarter allows us, for a change)."

http://www.blowoutcards.com/forums/non-sports/849349-mars-attacks-occupation-kickstarter-may-5th.html

All constraints of their own making. I guess I overreact to stuff like this but it just seems for Topps, its a way to get the customer to foot the bill to end around their own poor procedures and management. I am all for kickstarters for the little guy starting something new, etc. but this seems like laziness for an established bigger company.

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #37 on: May 21, 2015, 02:32:05 AM »
One of the keys of appreciating the Mars Attacks Kickstarter is to get past the notion of Kickstarter as only a platform to help "the little guys" finance projects. It can also be a pre-order platform that, by ensuring demand before production, allows a "niche" product like Mars Attacks Occupation to be produced at all, and provides it directly to the fans who are most interested in it.

The bottom line is that Topps wasn't going to make another Mars Attacks set, at least not at this time. In the latest issue of Non Sport Update, Adam Levine refers to Mars Attacks as a "less mainstream brand" and on the NSU blog (http://www.nsu-magazine.com/topps-announces-mars-attacks-sequel/) he called it a project "aimed at more niche audiences." I think we can infer from these statements that the last set that Topps produced themselves wasn't a monster hit.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #38 on: May 21, 2015, 03:24:20 AM »
After seeing Neil's sticker was added, I decided I really needed to investigate this whole thing.  The way I understand it, the "return" you get is a guaranteed product, plus maybe some extras if they hit higher contributions before the deadline.  I'm thinking of it as a very early pre-order.  I do like being able to select what level you want, and if this process gives the creator more time and control so they can put out a superior, customized product, I'm OK with it.

I'm looking forward to this set, and I hope I pull a metal card!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #39 on: May 21, 2015, 10:47:25 AM »
One of the keys of appreciating the Mars Attacks Kickstarter is to get past the notion of Kickstarter as only a platform to help "the little guys" finance projects. It can also be a pre-order platform that, by ensuring demand before production, allows a "niche" product like Mars Attacks Occupation to be produced at all, and provides it directly to the fans who are most interested in it.

The bottom line is that Topps wasn't going to make another Mars Attacks set, at least not at this time. In the latest issue of Non Sport Update, Adam Levine refers to Mars Attacks as a "less mainstream brand" and on the NSU blog (http://www.nsu-magazine.com/topps-announces-mars-attacks-sequel/) he called it a project "aimed at more niche audiences." I think we can infer from these statements that the last set that Topps produced themselves wasn't a monster hit.

Well Said!! I think at this point OS6 is in the same camp

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2015, 08:02:40 PM »
Hmmmm, ok I guess if that is the only way.  Still think they overestimated demand for series 5 and made too many boxes.

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »
Hmmmm, ok I guess if that is the only way.  Still think they overestimated demand for series 5 and made too many boxes.

Yeah, it seems clear at this point that supply had exceeded real demand. 

The demand that Topps was trying to meet was the one that had ballooned due to a confluence of events that were not a part of the original Old School scheme (I'm assuming, anyway).  Those events being that colored sketches from Old School boxes were briefly selling for as much as original paintings and black and white sketches were making the prospect of purchasing Old School boxes by the case into something of an rather simple profit scheme. 

Of course that kind of thing couldn't sustain... and to little shock, it didn't.  Though like so many publishers before them, Topps might have still been caught off-guard by the drop off in sales. 

When things settled back to reality, Topps was still setting print-runs to meet that short-term demand that was all about case-buyers and easy secondary market profits.  So Topps was left possibly wondering what went wrong?
Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2015, 02:55:19 PM »
Hopefully, the success of Mars Attacks on KS will validate that option for OS 6 if Topps decides not to do a normal on-line release based on OS 5 sales. At least now we know KS was presented as an option for OS 6 by Mr. Gross and that there has been a positive experience for Topps thus far with Mars Attacks.

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2015, 06:14:29 PM »
I would

Offline dth1971

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2015, 01:55:10 PM »
Now that the Mars Attacks Kickstarter has ended with its goal funded, maybe we could try to work on the Kickstarter campaign for Wacky Packages Old School 6 next.

Offline drono

« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2015, 12:59:56 PM »
Now that I see how the Mars Attacks KS worked, I might.  I bought in for a low amount to get the Wacky promo and added enough to get an uncut sheet.  I would definitely love to have the ability to get an uncut sheet of upcoming Wacky releases at a reasonable price.  I just hope that Topps keeps the prices reasonable if they do one for OS 6.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2015, 02:15:55 PM »
I would like a Wacky OS on KS. Just not right now as my CC is tapped out now that they took my pledge.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2016, 12:35:57 PM »
Looks like there is no need of a Kickstarter as a new OLDS series is being discussed for next year! Will keep you posted as things (hopefully) develop.

Needs to be a smaller run and more streamlined as it only broke even last time. Maybe the base is fading away as we age?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2016, 12:46:17 PM »
Dave, this is awesome news, CONGRATS!  This would be the cherry on top for Wackys 50th Anniversary!

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2016, 01:58:12 PM »
That is GREAT news Dave. I will always support OLDS. Please keep us updated.

Offline NationalSpittoon

« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2016, 02:13:35 PM »
Ah, I hope they retail it at least so I can get it easier.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2016, 05:12:10 PM »
The treats keep comin', awesome to hear, Dave!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2016, 06:26:11 PM »

I doubt this would go to retail if they barely broke even on the last OLDS. At least they did not lose money.  Great news that this is coming!!

Andrew

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #53 on: October 03, 2016, 06:42:23 PM »
I WILL!

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #54 on: October 03, 2016, 08:34:41 PM »
Great news that this is coming!!
Huh? Dave said it's being discussed. How did you come to the conclusion that it's definite? That's not my take.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #55 on: October 03, 2016, 08:58:33 PM »
Huh? Dave said it's being discussed. How did you come to the conclusion that it's definite? That's not my take.

It's on the schedule but since it's for the second half of the year I say discussed because you never know with that much time. We are still doing the 50th set right now (ad sheet coming shortly).

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #56 on: October 04, 2016, 04:13:21 AM »
It's on the schedule but since it's for the second half of the year I say discussed because you never know with that much time. We are still doing the 50th set right now (ad sheet coming shortly).

It is wonderful to hear that Topps hasn't written off Wackys entirely!!!  I'll be looking forward to seeing what they come up with, and I'm especially hoping for Old School 6.

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #57 on: October 04, 2016, 07:51:59 AM »

No OLDS were ever in the retail environment - only sold off the Topps website ....

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2016, 07:55:22 AM »

Hi Dave,

When is the 50th set slated for - 2nd half of 2017 as well??

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2016, 03:56:09 PM »
Hi Dave,

if the ad sheet is coming out soon, that'd place the 50th in the first half. Usually ≤ 6 months from flyer to shipping.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:03:19 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2016, 04:02:32 PM »
Hi Dave,

First half!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2016, 07:15:38 PM »

Glad to hear that OLDS is being discussed/planned!  Even stripped down, I'd be in support.  In fact, maybe that could be an improvement (I'd love to see only one type back, perhaps even limited but quality sketch cards, extremely limited bells/whistles).  Your artwork, along with the nostalgia of the products, was always what made the line so fabulous in my opinion.  And, as much as I like the 70's products, it wouldn't break my heart to a series devoted to 80's products.

And very cool to hear more confirmation of a 50th anniversary set.  I just hope it's true to the roots of Wackys with only needed nods to the modern collector to make it profitable to Topps.  Looking forward to the ad sheet (and, is it too much to ask that the sheet be a real old-fashioned piece of paper?  Now that would really be a throwback!).