Author Topic: what wacky did it for you ?  (Read 13550 times)

Offline havok77

what wacky did it for you ?
« on: May 07, 2015, 01:52:30 AM »
im a huge gpk fan , and I gotta say the wacky that got me into collecting wacky packages was  the garbage pail geezer. love that one ......

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: what wacky did it for you ?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 09:07:20 AM »
Lavirus diecut - Halloween, 1969

Offline dth1971

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 12:18:59 PM »
Barfield - 1991 Wacky Packages series.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 12:52:14 PM »
Gadzooka - 1973!  Neil, it might have been Lavirus if I could have found it!  It was the last sticker I needed to complete the set and I ended up pealing it off a friends bike fender and doing a re-stick!  I don't think PSA would even grade that sticker but it's still worth more to me than all the other Wackys in Wackydom!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2015, 01:53:41 PM »
im a huge gpk fan , and I gotta say the wacky that got me into collecting wacky packages was  the garbage pail geezer. love that one ......

I collected series 1 and I loved Crust, but Cap'n Crud really did it for me when series 2 came out.  I loved Cap'n Crunch and also I had just sent away for a Cap'n Crunch note pad by saving up enough cereal box tops.  I was hooked from then on!
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2015, 02:13:21 PM »
I loved Choke Wagon as you can see :] Something about seeing the commercial as a kid and before CGI Technology was facinated how they made this small Wagon made the dogs go crazy chasing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfNzstKxc4Q

Offline Kook

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2015, 03:18:31 PM »
I loved Choke Wagon as you can see :] Something about seeing the commercial as a kid and before CGI Technology was facinated how they made this small Wagon made the dogs go crazy chasing it.

Thanks for the link! That commercial brings back memories, and you tube seems to have a ton more.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 12:52:44 PM »

great old commercial - always love that one...

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 02:44:18 PM »
Impossible to name just one, but, I can name five that stuck with me all the years between when I was collecting them as a kid in the seventies to when I started doing sketches a few years ago. That's a lot of time in between, but, anytime I thought of them or reminisced with my brother the titles that always came up were My-T-Fink, Commie Cleanser, Koduck, Slaytex Gloves, and Scary Lee. There's something about those titles and visuals that just stay with me.

Offline drono

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2015, 07:10:04 PM »
I started with the 1st series in 1973.  I think I had tans, but I left them in my pants pocket and they all got washed.  I'm still crying about that loss.  I remember having to get the penicillin shot in the behind, so my mother bought me a bunch of 2nd series -- probably a whole $1 worth!  I was hooked after that, but I can't name just one that was my favorite.  My all-time favorite has always been Wormy Packages.

Offline havok77

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 01:07:47 AM »
I would love a chrome garbage pail geezer, that would be sick

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 06:07:59 AM »
The very first Wackys I got were series 2 stickers.  Awful Bits and Cap'n Crud made me laugh my butt off, and I was hooked.  I did get a few packs of series 1 shortly after that, but series 2 will always be special for me.

Anyone here get hooked on Wackys with Die cuts or Ads?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2015, 11:03:20 AM »
The very first Wackys I got were series 2 stickers.  Awful Bits and Cap'n Crud made me laugh my butt off, and I was hooked.  I did get a few packs of series 1 shortly after that, but series 2 will always be special for me.

Pat that is a superb first pack! 

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2015, 02:14:27 AM »
Pat that is a superb first pack!

I got them both the first time I got Wackys, but I can't say they were in the same pack.

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2015, 07:47:48 AM »
Sure I collected earlier series but the 1985 series did it for me and to me. Specifically though, Burger Thing still keeps me honest to this day.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2015, 10:15:08 AM »

Yes! The die cuts came out when I was in first or second grade and they fascinated me with their artwork though I didn't always understand the references. As English wasn't my first language I didn't know what a (cover)ghoul was but was still creeped out by the drawing - same shuddering with the Skimpy boy but of course, that was the appeal!
Was more sophisticated by the time the Wacky Ads came out and yeah, the cereal parodies were what I remember most and I had the same reaction as Raw Goo. All Brain did creep me out, and does to this day, and it didn't help that when you got the variety paks in real life, All Bran was the one you never ate because it was tasteless....and because of the Wacky Ad! (hated Product 19 also but that was never spoofed I think)
A

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2015, 10:23:03 AM »
No single sticker got me hooked. I liked the whole concept....here's how it happened...
 I saw from a distance an odd thing stuck to  a thin sign post...maybe a no parking sign...and walked up to it... it was a Mop and Glop.
Huh? what a cool sticker... but who would put such a sticker here in the middle of nowhere?...and why?...and where do you get them? I mean who would make such an odd sticker? I left befuddled and walked away wondering about that sticker.

A couple few weeks later...maybe a month or so later I was in a corner store and the Chinese proprietor tells me about funny products and asks if I got them. Huh? he say stickers. I mean this guy is trying to sell me something and I don't understand. He shows me a package still trying to explain. 'Funny products'. I don't get it but he talks me into buying one pack... OK it's just 5 cents. I leave with my unopened pack and thinking I got suckered into wasting a nickle. I almost threw the package into the garbage unopened...I mean the wrapper was just so dull... I assumed whatever was inside was just as dull. ....then I thought... well I paid a nickle for it I might as well see what's inside...though my heart just wasn't in it.
when I opened it My eyes lit up! It's those stickers! I don't know what ones were in the package, but I saw the checklist and I went back in the store and bought all I could. That was series 8. I completed the set in a week or so.  a few weeks later I go back in that store and the Chinese guy talks about the stickers and I say 'I got them all' and he say no...different ones. ? OK I buy one pack... 9Th series! and off I go. and the group home parents give me grief for throwing money away...I say in reply you and those guys spend money on smokes. Well that's because we need them. I scratch my head...? I get in trouble for wasting my money on wackies but they can burn their money on smokes. ???

Trying to find earlier series someone at school said he has a bunch I could have. well I go to his place and he cleans out the bottom of a drawer and gave me what would be nearly every sticker from series 1-7. but no checklists! I think every rare sticker was in there. I recall Bum Chex, Chokewagon, Big Muck. both versions of spit and spill were in there. Odd I can remember all that, but I do. When I left that group home I handed the stickers in the pile to a friend and said gimme a dollar. he never did, but took the stickers. Why did I let him have them you ask?  I didn't think I'd ever find the checklists! Stupid. He probably still has them.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2015, 11:56:11 AM »
Rick, fun story, did this take place in Canada?

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2015, 01:38:32 PM »
I  started with the Die Cuts when I was in the 4Th or 3rd grade. I don't remember seeing a checklist but I did have quitea few of them. Then in '73 I saw the 1st series in a candy shop. I said to my friend " Hey , I used to collect those years ago" so I bought a few packs & he did also so we started trading, then the 2nd series came out & we were determined to get them all as we both had all the 1st series . So our next bike trip to Grillo's Candy Store he already had the 3rd series out. Mr Grillo was a 93 year old man & I said "Mr Grillo, where are the 2nd series Wacky Packages & he said " We no Sella 2nd a series Wacky A Packies"  so we kept on buying packs probably up to the 12th series , by then we were getting too old to be buying them.

Offline Mashbox

• Drive Yourself Buggy
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2015, 04:50:54 PM »
I first purchased Crazy Labels, but had seen Wackys and liked them as well. Then when they started inserting Wackys into certain brands of cereal, that's how I found about ordering the album and stickers. Learned to appreciate the originals, though!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2015, 06:34:13 PM »
I got them both the first time I got Wackys, but I can't say they were in the same pack.

Well, if the knight-move theory crosses the edges of the sheets, then it would be possible to get those two stickers in the same pack!!
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Smokin Joe

• "Get some for your honey"
    • Smokin' Joe's Art and Illustration
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2015, 06:56:58 PM »
I was also in 2nd grade (seems to be the standard)... and kids were trading orig series 4 & 5 in class (and teacher was confiscating). I helped pass some from kid to kid... and saw Fang, Cover Ghoul, Girl-ar-dee, Knuckles... I knew instantly these were made for me!
Nickel a pack at local drug store... and series 6 was the first I purchased for myself.  I loved all the Monster related Wacky's. The depth of the color on Broomo Seltzer was hypnotizing!
Smokin' Joe

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2015, 09:37:08 AM »
Rick, fun story, did this take place in Canada?
Yup... in the Sidney area. ..? Why do you ask?
OH
I do remember I think 1969...not sure...but some guy showing me the punchouts. He had a duplicate or two and he let me have one to stick ...and oddly enough I tried to stick it to an octagonal lamp post. It fell off and double licking wouldn`t work either. I think he kept it as I didn`t know what to do with it. I don`t recall what it was. he had about a dozen on him. I seem to recall a red and yellow one.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 09:46:53 AM by ElectricSlave »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2015, 10:41:44 AM »
Yup... in the Sidney area. ..? Why do you ask?
OH
I do remember I think 1969...not sure...but some guy showing me the punchouts. He had a duplicate or two and he let me have one to stick ...and oddly enough I tried to stick it to an octagonal lamp post. It fell off and double licking wouldn`t work either. I think he kept it as I didn`t know what to do with it. I don`t recall what it was. he had about a dozen on him. I seem to recall a red and yellow one.

I had a similar experience in the 4th or 5th grade - by then the die cuts had been long gone (including my stash). A classmate of mine covered one of her binders with them and of course I recognized them. She told me that she and her brother had so many of them they didn't know what to do with them and punched them out and stuck em everywhere! Decades later I saw an old fridge for sale at a second hand shop that had the freezer (upper) section plastered with the later series stickers that I didn't recognize - I had rekindled my passion for Wacky's when the stickers came out in the early 70s but stopped by about the 7th series. Here were all of these parodies that I didn't know about! I inspected that fridge for about a half hour!! I think the store owner thought he had a sale...
A

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2015, 10:58:57 AM »
Decades later I saw an old fridge for sale at a second hand shop that had the freezer (upper) section plastered with the later series stickers that I didn't recognize - I had rekindled my passion for Wacky's when the stickers came out in the early 70s but stopped by about the 7th series. Here were all of these parodies that I didn't know about! I inspected that fridge for about a half hour!! I think the store owner thought he had a sale...
A
Maybe you shoulda bought the fridge. you coulda sold the punchouts for something. I have a few punched ones and happy to even have them.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2015, 04:56:39 PM »
It's kind of fuzzy to me. I was only 8 but I remember Koduck as one of the first I saw. For some reason series 7 just sticks in my head as that may have been the first series I actually tried to collect em all. I may have missed the first few series but the stores may have had random packs mixed in. Series 3-8 are very vivid to me and also series 11 for some reason. I think that was the last series I saw.

Offline kayakguy1963

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2015, 07:41:56 PM »
First Series.  6up.  "You Hate It-It Hates You."  Still funny today.  Classic artwork, too.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2015, 07:47:18 AM »
I'll bite....

I first became aware of Wackys in the fourth grade in the spring of 1974.  I am pretty sure the first sticker I ever saw was Old Spit and maybe a couple of other 5th series titles that some kids had in school.  By the time I started buying packs at the store, 6th series was out.  A couple of 6th titles that stuck out for me were Monotony and Baby Runt.  I remember that the 6th series were in the stores in my hometown for months.  In fact, I am pretty sure that was all we could find that entire summer.  Then in the fall, when I started 5th grade, the 7th series arrived.  I have a vivid memory of trading 7ths with another kid in my 5th grade class and we discovered the Grime variation!  He had one version and I had the other version.  The weird thing is that we both had extras of the version we had so we traded so that we would each have both versions.

I also remember the Wonder Bread Wackys very vividly.  They were so awesome because I didn't know anyone who had any early series stickers.  (In fact, I had never seen most of the 1st thru 4th series until 1999 when I found John Mann's site)  My parents would not buy Wonder Bread so I was a bad kid who would go into the grocery store and tear holes in the bread wrappers to steal the Wackys in them.  I wonder how many people bought loaves of Wonder Bread from that store only to find a hole in the wrapper?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2015, 11:02:51 AM »
Gadzooka - 1973!  Neil, it might have been Lavirus if I could have found it!  It was the last sticker I needed to complete the set and I ended up pealing it off a friends bike fender and doing a re-stick!  I don't think PSA would even grade that sticker but it's still worth more to me than all the other Wackys in Wackydom!

For me, Pure Hex was the tough one! In fact, the only one I could find was on the back of school bus (which I promptly peeled off)!

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2015, 12:41:08 PM »
First Series.  6up.  "You Hate It-It Hates You."  Still funny today.  Classic artwork, too.

Yup really liked that one too! It was memorable, esp to a first grader!
A

Offline havok77

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2015, 05:47:14 PM »

anyone know if there were parallels for this one ?

Offline frankov

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2015, 03:51:32 PM »
Might as well do my first post here :)

I grew up in a small french-Canadian rural town in Quebec so most convenience stores didn't carry anything too "exotic". But in 1992, the owner must have been confused/drunk and ordered a box of O-Pee-Chee Wacky Packages.

Don't know what grabbed me about the package but I knew there had to be something good in there. My father bought a pack and I opened in the car.

My god the art... Every card was great BUT the 2nd or 3rd card I flipped was Barf Wimpson and I tilted. I had been watching the Simpsons for a while (I could barely understand English back then) and I couldn't believe they could pull this off.

I gradually bought every single pack in that box during the next months.

Once I had a complete set (or so I thought back then, didn't know of variant backs) - I forgot about them until a couple of years ago.

While browsing older stickers, I saw a couple I recognized from the early 80s - the Lavirus one specifically - but don't quite remember where I saw it.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2015, 02:22:33 AM »
Welcome to the forum! 

I can see where Barf Wimpson would be the one if your first Wackys were the 1991 set.  As a Simpsons and Wacky fan, you should check out a 2001 Inkworks card set called Simpsons Mania - it includes 18 cards called Packy Wacks, which are basically Wackys of Simpsons products like Duff Beer and Krusty-O's.

The Lavirus you mentioned was likely from the Topps 1979 Series 2 reissues, or maybe the 1988 OPC "Series 4" reissues.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 02:28:45 AM by RawGoo »

anything