Author Topic: Sketch you are most tired of seeing for sale on Ebay  (Read 9473 times)

Offline DrDeal

Sketch you are most tired of seeing for sale on Ebay
« on: May 01, 2015, 03:14:08 AM »
261872456297        I see this Aquax Sketch for sale almost every time I search for WP Sketches on Ebay. I wish someone would buy it so I don't have see it anymore.

Not a bad sketch. I just am sick of always seeing it for sale. Which sketch seems to follow you around?

Offline quas

Re: Sketch you are most tired of seeing for sale on Ebay
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 04:26:26 AM »
261872456297        I see this Aquax Sketch for sale almost every time I search for WP Sketches on Ebay. I wish someone would buy it so I don't have see it anymore.

Not a bad sketch. I just am sick of always seeing it for sale. Which sketch seems to follow you around?

This one has been there forever.  Nice sketch but no one is going to pay that much:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKE-ZAPATA-2013-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Series-10-Sketch-Card-Killy-Putty-/171766816234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fe199dea

I've made offers but never received a counteroffer.  They just expire.
Marc

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 05:08:00 AM »
This one has been there forever.  Nice sketch but no one is going to pay that much:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIKE-ZAPATA-2013-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Series-10-Sketch-Card-Killy-Putty-/171766816234?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fe199dea

I've made offers but never received a counteroffer.  They just expire.

Just curious - Do you prefer a snarky response, or being ignored?  I'm getting tired of snarky responses.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 06:12:05 AM »
Speaking of eBay, I can't remember the last time a really cool vintage item showed up. Seems like it happened all the time 10 years ago. Full boxes, 1st tan sets, cool unopened material. I guess the well is dry.

Offline quas

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 06:49:31 AM »
Just curious - Do you prefer a snarky response, or being ignored?  I'm getting tired of snarky responses.

Whichever is your preference, either one is okay by me.  What would be truly best would be to continue the thread and point out another sketch that just doesn't seem to go away - maybe because it's been overpriced forever.  For example:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Topps-Wacky-Packages-BRENT-ENGSTROM-Sketch-Armor-/171763198005?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fde26835

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2012-Wacky-Packages-Old-School-Series-4-Sketch-Card-by-FRED-WHEATON-/171763188236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27fde2420c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEFF-ZAPATA-2013-Topps-Wacky-Packages-Series-10-Color-Sketch-Card-Gadzooka-/161682514160?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a50760f0
Marc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2015, 06:56:13 AM »
Have people received snarky responses after making offers on eBay? I usually just get no response if the offer is deemed unworthy. Then again, I can usually sniff out wacko sellers and avoid in the first place.

Offline quas

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2015, 07:08:45 AM »

Sorry, my brain just turned on and I just understood your response Pat!  I actually prefer a snarky response from the seller.  At least I know they're alive and able to communicate!  Best is a counteroffer.  Worst is being ignored.
Marc

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2015, 10:23:02 AM »
Andrew, it's exactly what Marc said they are cool sketches but priced so off compared to the market that they will never sell.  For me, it's this cool BreadPool sketch by Matthew Kirscht.  When series 11 came out I thought it was great that Matthew sketched a character he had painted for the set (artist rarely do) so I bought a couple of these.  I don't believe I ever paid more than $25.  This one has been on eBay for years at $150!

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 02:43:00 PM »
Sorry, my brain just turned on and I just understood your response Pat!  I actually prefer a snarky response from the seller.  At least I know they're alive and able to communicate!  Best is a counteroffer.  Worst is being ignored.

Oh good - I was upset, thinking that I had offended you!

I have gotten some snarky responses from ebay sellers lately, even to just questions, which was why I brought the question up.  They're beginning to bug me more as they keep happening.

I'll find a sketch to post about.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 02:47:13 PM by RawGoo »

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 03:09:28 PM »
It is the same clown peddling his over proced cards.  Killy Putty is Gorgeous for a sketch..... $300 - NOPE!

Regarding eBay, Marc is correct - the professional and adult thing to do is at least reply.....

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 06:41:34 PM »
I've admired that sketch since day one, one of the best color sketches I've ever seen on ebay, but yeah, it  may never sell at that amount! Wonder what will jolt the seller into offering it a reasonable price?
A

It is the same clown peddling his over proced cards.  Killy Putty is Gorgeous for a sketch..... $300 - NOPE!

Regarding eBay, Marc is correct - the professional and adult thing to do is at least reply.....

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2015, 11:57:21 AM »
Have people received snarky responses after making offers on eBay? I usually just get no response if the offer is deemed unworthy. Then again, I can usually sniff out wacko sellers and avoid in the first place.
Can't recall making offers on Wacky items specifically, but my experience with Best Offer has been either a counter-offer, or a sort of "auto-rejection" immediate rejection of the offer with no comment or counter-offer.  Kind of obnoxious and counter-productive if you ask me.  Some sellers will only budge maybe 5-10 % from their BIN price, but how is the bidder to know?  If the asking BIN price appears inflated to me, and I offer say 50 to 75% of the BIN price and receive a knee-jerk auto-rejection, it's a turn-off and a complete non-starter.  One seller had vintage Adams gum wrappers, the sour fruit type, and wanted $9.99 for a lot of 5 different, but in another listing, $7.99 for just 2 different.  Figuring an offer proportional to the 5/$9.99 price would be reasonable, I offered $4.00 for the lot of 2 and got immediately shot down.  WTF?

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 12:05:45 PM »
Well eBay should have a customer service rating that includes whether or not they respond to offers as a factor.  Then you'd see everyone responding.

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 08:02:53 PM »
That would be a great feature - would help me determine if I would bother to post a BIN.
A

Well eBay should have a customer service rating that includes whether or not they respond to offers as a factor.  Then you'd see everyone responding.

Offline drono

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 03:29:40 PM »
I got a snarky response one time.  The seller wrote the ad like the items had been purchased from an estate sale which said to me "paid pennies on the dollar."  I was interested in something that couldn't be found in a price guide, and I'd been the only one watching for over a year, so I offered about 40% of the buy it now price -- there was no bidding.  He called me a "lowballer," said that he charged reasonable prices, and told me he'd give it away before selling it at that price.  It turns out the items were from his own personal collection, so I suggested he change "from a collection" to "from my personal collection" to give it the appeal that they had been well cared for and had sentimental value.  He went off on me about how he had trained people to be expert negotiators for 20+ years.  So I told him how he had contradicted himself because his attitude turned off the only offer he'd ever received and that items in the collectible market are only worth what someone is willing to pay.  He still hasn't sold it, and I'm the only one who ever watches it, but I won't send him another offer for it.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 03:33:22 PM by drono »

Offline quas

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 05:11:41 PM »
I got a snarky response one time.  The seller wrote the ad like the items had been purchased from an estate sale which said to me "paid pennies on the dollar."  I was interested in something that couldn't be found in a price guide, and I'd been the only one watching for over a year, so I offered about 40% of the buy it now price -- there was no bidding.  He called me a "lowballer," said that he charged reasonable prices, and told me he'd give it away before selling it at that price.  It turns out the items were from his own personal collection, so I suggested he change "from a collection" to "from my personal collection" to give it the appeal that they had been well cared for and had sentimental value.  He went off on me about how he had trained people to be expert negotiators for 20+ years.  So I told him how he had contradicted himself because his attitude turned off the only offer he'd ever received and that items in the collectible market are only worth what someone is willing to pay.  He still hasn't sold it, and I'm the only one who ever watches it, but I won't send him another offer for it.

Good for you!  Bravo!  ;)
Marc

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 08:34:13 AM »
Can't recall making offers on Wacky items specifically, but my experience with Best Offer has been either a counter-offer, or a sort of "auto-rejection" immediate rejection of the offer with no comment or counter-offer.  Kind of obnoxious and counter-productive if you ask me.  Some sellers will only budge maybe 5-10 % from their BIN price, but how is the bidder to know?  If the asking BIN price appears inflated to me, and I offer say 50 to 75% of the BIN price and receive a knee-jerk auto-rejection, it's a turn-off and a complete non-starter.  One seller had vintage Adams gum wrappers, the sour fruit type, and wanted $9.99 for a lot of 5 different, but in another listing, $7.99 for just 2 different.  Figuring an offer proportional to the 5/$9.99 price would be reasonable, I offered $4.00 for the lot of 2 and got immediately shot down.  WTF?

some people are just stupid - you just move on...i get that as well...i will lowball tooo - don't even care - if they are just playing around then the can go "you know what"!!

Offline drono

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 02:27:52 PM »
I've found that if you collect in a niche market, you can usually establish a relationship with a seller, and then they will be more willing to budge on prices because they know you'll be a repeat buyer.  I would never offer a seller a really low price on something that had just been listed unless I could show where it was way overpriced in a guide or typically sold for much less.  I collect SWATCH watches that are specifically created for the FIVB Beach Volleyball tour, and I've had a particular seller give me as much as a 50% discount on one or two watches that had been listed for quite a while with no one other than me watching it.  This works especially well if you can "bundle" it together with other items either at full price or at a lower discount.  Most sellers want to move their merchandise, but you do get the occasional seller who really doesn't care if it sells or not, so they're not going to budge.  What gets me is that they will list it as a best offer but never intend to take a lower price.  Why not just list it as buy it now or put it out for bids with that price as the reserve?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:29:42 PM by drono »

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2015, 04:35:46 PM »
Dr.Ono is correct - There is a select group of 5 or 6 with whom we sell back and forth with one another and absolutely work with and trust one another!

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2015, 10:03:23 AM »
heck an original sketch I`d feel guilty trying to sell it for $25. let alone a reproduction...or are they originals? My head is still stuck in the 1970s when it comes to wackies. ..or 1985...or 1991-2...what are these sketch cards anyway? and how do you turn off your key board so you don`t keep getting these stupid symbols(`, É)and having to hunt for the other ? markÉ

anything