Author Topic: Wacky Packages Postcard Newsletter  (Read 16224 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Wacky Packages Postcard Newsletter
« on: July 06, 2010, 03:44:35 AM »
There seems to be quite a bit of interest in having a newsletter for the Wacky Packages Postcards, so people can keep track of the different sets, the sketch cards, and release dates. I plan to talk with Topps today about putting it together so if you have any suggestions regarding the content, etc., send me a PM. Once I get the details sorted out, I hope to start taking names/emails from people who want to sign up.

Stay tuned for more details!
-Neil

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
Re: Wacky Packages Postcard Newsletter
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 07:47:27 AM »
There seems to be quite a bit of interest in having a newsletter for the Wacky Packages Postcards, so people can keep track of the different sets, the sketch cards, and release dates. I plan to talk with Topps today about putting it together so if you have any suggestions regarding the content, etc., send me a PM. Once I get the details sorted out, I hope to start taking names/emails from people who want to sign up.

-Neil

Is there any website that has images of all the postcard releases?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Liptorn

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 03:45:45 PM »
Neil, I hate to be negative in your thread, but I think you should also let Topps know that at least one person is very turned off on how they sell the limited postcard sets. I know this may sound like sour grapes, and I know the bottom line for Topps is to sell out, but since this is the 2nd limited Postcard set in a row that I have missed at issue price, I have decided that I will no longer collect them because the alternative way of getting them on ebay for $120+, is not my idea of collecting.
Even by limiting orders to 5 per person, it still becomes a race to the computer for the first 60 to 80 people that can place an order in 2 hours. Not sure what a solution could be, but I thought I'd let you know about how I feel.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 04:41:46 PM »
I hear what your saying and I definitely understand your frustration. I'm going to try to work something out with the Vault to either give forum members more advance notice or to try to limit the L.E. sales to fewer sets per customer. If I can arrange it, I'll collect emails for the newsletter and use them to notify everyone.

Regarding Bustedfingers earlier question, I'm in the process of collecting the images and hope to put the entire thing online in the next few days.

I'll keep you posted!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 04:53:38 PM »
I spoke to Ted at Topps Store today and mentioned that if they would allow us to purchase Yearly Subscriptions for one set of each limited postcard set that comes out; they would probably sell 80 - 100 sets that way and then they would still have 200 sets to put in the shop. They could just charge our credit cards 4 times per year as the sets were released. I also mentioned they should limit sales to 2 sets per household for at least the first 24 hours. These two tactics would help to make things better for forum members. It would increase postage costs for those that need to purchase more than two sets to get extra sketch cards ; but it would make alot of people not have to go to Ebay for their sets. That would help the hobby.

Regards,  DrDeal

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 05:05:42 AM »
I spoke to Ted at Topps Store today and mentioned that if they would allow us to purchase Yearly Subscriptions for one set of each limited postcard set that comes out; they would probably sell 80 - 100 sets that way and then they would still have 200 sets to put in the shop. They could just charge our credit cards 4 times per year as the sets were released. I also mentioned they should limit sales to 2 sets per household for at least the first 24 hours. These two tactics would help to make things better for forum members. It would increase postage costs for those that need to purchase more than two sets to get extra sketch cards ; but it would make alot of people not have to go to Ebay for their sets. That would help the hobby.

Regards,  DrDeal

Thank you.  That is a good idea.  I am still very upset about missing this last set.  Liptorn was right, ebay charges $120 and I will stop collecting them if something is not done. 

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 05:06:50 AM »
Neil, I hate to be negative in your thread, but I think you should also let Topps know that at least one person is very turned off on how they sell the limited postcard sets. I know this may sound like sour grapes, and I know the bottom line for Topps is to sell out, but since this is the 2nd limited Postcard set in a row that I have missed at issue price, I have decided that I will no longer collect them because the alternative way of getting them on ebay for $120+, is not my idea of collecting.
Even by limiting orders to 5 per person, it still becomes a race to the computer for the first 60 to 80 people that can place an order in 2 hours. Not sure what a solution could be, but I thought I'd let you know about how I feel.

I totally agree with you.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 05:25:16 AM »
Again, I know some of you are frustrated with the way the postcards are distributed, but I'm trying to work out a solution with topps that gives everyone here a better chance at getting a set.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 05:31:36 AM »
I don't know if there is a way to do this to please everyone.
1. Neil could give the forum members a few days notice.
2. One idea would be for Topps to pull 50 sets for Neil to offer to forum members that missed out.
3. Topps could do a one day pre-sale for just forum members
4. Topps could sell 25 sets an hour for the day.

The problem with this that it's probably a pain for Neil to have to deal with managing the 50 or so sets and also Topps is not affiliated with this forum so they probably don't feel any obligation to do a special program.
When dealing with limited supply it's tough to make everyone happy because you can't. Limited means it won't last long and people will miss out.
Tough deal!

Offline Liptorn

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 07:07:56 AM »
There were some reasonable suggestions made, not sure if Topps would really care.
I think just the combination of a little longer notice and a limit of 1 or maximum of 2 would be OK.
Also, putting them up on a Friday when there is a lot of travel isn't really the best idea.
Should we then expect Postcard series 7 to go on sale Dec. 24th at noon?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 08:48:11 AM »

-Neil

I have accurate breakdowns of all the series if you want to cross-check your info. after assembling it. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 08:50:42 AM »
There were some reasonable suggestions made, not sure if Topps would really care.
I think just the combination of a little longer notice and a limit of 1 or maximum of 2 would be OK.
Also, putting them up on a Friday when there is a lot of travel isn't really the best idea.

Topps may not care too much but Neil sure does, and he has coordinated the series well so far.  I bet they will be able to work something out.  I like the idea of getting on a list where you are least guaranteed one limited set per series.

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 09:20:44 AM »
Are people interested in everything in the set or mainly the non-sketch stuff?  Do most people seek just having one token sketch per set?  It seems to me that our forum could coordinate something.  I seek sketches and one copy of each of the rest of the set.  The fact that the number of sketches outnumbers the number we are allowed to order, creates an issue for the sketch collectors.  I have no issues with selling off the extra sets, bonus cards and the like at cost but I have to pay a premium to get sketches so it is logical to then sell off the post card set extras to fund that.

If a number of people here want the non-sketch stuff and the sketch collectors are able to buy at least as many sets as there are sketch categories, it seems to me something should work out where NOBODY is chasing stuff on ebay.  I think limiting the purchase amount to 1 or 2 is going to piss off those of us who invested this far in collecting the sketches as I know for sure I will close down shop on chasing the sketches and will likely just buy the base non-limited version as bonus card collecting isn't that high on my list either.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Liptorn

« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 05:56:21 PM »
Hey Ernie,
I guess my limited edition postcard collection was fine with just 1 limited edition set with all the extras, the bonus card, the bios, etc, and any one random sketch from the series.
It would be nice to have all the different sketches within a given series, but I decided not to chase them all.
I need a 5th and now a 6th limited edition set with the bonus, bios, and any sketch.

I noticed I have two limited edition series 2 postcard sets to trade, one set have a Cheatas sketch, and the other set has a Mummy D sketch. Back then they only did 3 titles, no bios, and the bonus card was Mutty Bars, I think the same bonus card that came with the regular sets. They are #'ed to 250. Hope someone can use those in trade.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 08:05:38 PM »
Are people interested in everything in the set or mainly the non-sketch stuff?  Do most people seek just having one token sketch per set?  It seems to me that our forum could coordinate something.  I seek sketches and one copy of each of the rest of the set.  The fact that the number of sketches outnumbers the number we are allowed to order, creates an issue for the sketch collectors.  I have no issues with selling off the extra sets, bonus cards and the like at cost but I have to pay a premium to get sketches so it is logical to then sell off the post card set extras to fund that.

If a number of people here want the non-sketch stuff and the sketch collectors are able to buy at least as many sets as there are sketch categories, it seems to me something should work out where NOBODY is chasing stuff on ebay.  I think limiting the purchase amount to 1 or 2 is going to piss off those of us who invested this far in collecting the sketches as I know for sure I will close down shop on chasing the sketches and will likely just buy the base non-limited version as bonus card collecting isn't that high on my list either.

I always liked everything compete with the post cards. I always thought they should all be together. I still agree to some extent but with people selling off the last 2 series and the OLDS series I think my values have changed since the sketch cards are evolving. Now it seems right to sell off the extras and keep one of each card and all the sketches you like. The only hitch here is the COA. Do you give it with the post cards or the sketch. We all know the sketch cards are unique but how to give out the COA? That is why I always thought everything should be kept together since series 3 since the post cards aren't numbered as they used to be. I really think they should get rid of the COA and number/destinquish the limited postcards instead of the COA.
Thoughts?

Offline Kook

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 05:47:44 AM »
I always liked everything compete with the post cards. I always thought they should all be together. I still agree to some extent but with people selling off the last 2 series and the OLDS series I think my values have changed since the sketch cards are evolving. Now it seems right to sell off the extras and keep one of each card and all the sketches you like. The only hitch here is the COA. Do you give it with the post cards or the sketch. We all know the sketch cards are unique but how to give out the COA? That is why I always thought everything should be kept together since series 3 since the post cards aren't numbered as they used to be. I really think they should get rid of the COA and number/destinquish the limited postcards instead of the COA.
Thoughts?
I believe the ltd edition postcards are different from the regular postcards. They say limited edition on the reverse. I always kept the COA & sketch together when buying/selling or trading. The postcards IMO can stand on their own as a set since they are distinguishable from the regular postcards. The bonus cards & bio sets easily stand on their own also. There doesn't seem to be much demand for the postcards themselves anyway. It may make sense to even keep them with the sketch & coa since they don't seem to be worth much on their own.

People want (pay for) the sketches, bonus cards & bio sets. If they like the postcards, I'd guess they would just get the non/unlimited edition for $6.95 & get a different bonus card to boot. The few completists that actually care about the different postcard backs would probably get a complete set anyway, and even the diehard completist would probably be happy with a sample of each sketch design/artist with COA & 1 set of the ltd edition postcards. I doubt it would be critical to have a ltd edition set of postcards for every sketch they have. Rob, what do you think???
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 05:51:26 AM by billf »

Offline Kook

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 07:05:37 AM »

-Neil
I would prefer to see (in addition to or in place of a newsletter) a members only website (just a signup of e-mail & password) that had detailed info of all the series, production info, artists' comments & possibly a suggestion box. It would also be nice to have a sketch archive that the users could contribute to & for future series post the "available sketches" so we could see what's out there. There could also be a trading post for sketch cards & whoever receives a postcard order from topps could get a signup info sheet for the member site (kind of like the old school poster sell sheet). This would link forum members & non-forum members  to better share postcard info & trade with a much wider net. It would eliminate all the wondering by forum members about all those other people out there who also buy postcard sets but don't participate on the forum.

Whoever is a member would receive e-mail notification of upcoming releases or other noteworthy events.

I REALLY like the idea someone else on the forum made about being able to sign up for a subscription. This way, even if someone is away for a release, or can't get to the website in time, they would at least get 1 set for their collection automatically.  The "opt in/opt/out" for the e-mail notifications, & the subscription along with payment method could all be administered from this member website. Could also be a sub area of a topps login account.

P.S. Dave, this sub community idea would also perfectly fit all those who collect old school as well. This could also be a "sub area" under someone's topps account.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 10:00:03 AM »
Rest assured, all of these ideas are being considered by the Topps Vault. I think the hardest part is that no one solution will please everyone, so it's a matter of deciding what is best for most of us. As soon as I have any news, I will let everyone know.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 11:10:05 AM »
Rest assured, all of these ideas are being considered by the Topps Vault. I think the hardest part is that no one solution will please everyone, so it's a matter of deciding what is best for most of us. As soon as I have any news, I will let everyone know.

It will never be perfect since they are limited. With any limited edition people will miss out. I totally missed out on series 5 and was lucky to get my order in for series 6 before I had to leave for the 4th. I made it by 20 min. otherwise I would be in the same boat.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 11:43:42 AM »
It will never be perfect since they are limited. With any limited edition people will miss out. I totally missed out on series 5 and was lucky to get my order in for series 6 before I had to leave for the 4th. I made it by 20 min. otherwise I would be in the same boat.
I may have gotten the last one, because when I checked back 2 minutes later...They were gone! :-X
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Beanball

« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2010, 01:23:23 PM »
Hey Ernie,
I guess my limited edition postcard collection was fine with just 1 limited edition set with all the extras, the bonus card, the bios, etc, and any one random sketch from the series.
It would be nice to have all the different sketches within a given series, but I decided not to chase them all.
I need a 5th and now a 6th limited edition set with the bonus, bios, and any sketch.

I noticed I have two limited edition series 2 postcard sets to trade, one set have a Cheatas sketch, and the other set has a Mummy D sketch. Back then they only did 3 titles, no bios, and the bonus card was Mutty Bars, I think the same bonus card that came with the regular sets. They are #'ed to 250. Hope someone can use those in trade.
I missed the last two limiteds also.
Sounds like they're gonna work something out. Cool.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 10:00:53 AM »
Thoughts?

The COA's should definitely go with the sketch cards.  The postcards aren't #'ed so keeping it with them is kind of pointless.  Any sketch trading I've done we have always kept the COA's with the sketches.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »
I believe the ltd edition postcards are different from the regular postcards. They say limited edition on the reverse. I always kept the COA & sketch together when buying/selling or trading. The postcards IMO can stand on their own as a set since they are distinguishable from the regular postcards. The bonus cards & bio sets easily stand on their own also. There doesn't seem to be much demand for the postcards themselves anyway. It may make sense to even keep them with the sketch & coa since they don't seem to be worth much on their own.

People want (pay for) the sketches, bonus cards & bio sets. If they like the postcards, I'd guess they would just get the non/unlimited edition for $6.95 & get a different bonus card to boot. The few completists that actually care about the different postcard backs would probably get a complete set anyway, and even the diehard completist would probably be happy with a sample of each sketch design/artist with COA & 1 set of the ltd edition postcards. I doubt it would be critical to have a ltd edition set of postcards for every sketch they have. Rob, what do you think???

I agree, one limited set of postcards is all I need, especially they are not #'ed like they used to be.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2010, 10:16:39 AM »

It would certainly piss me off...you snooze you lose...if there's a limit, it should coincide with the number of possible sketches 5 for 5 , 10 for 10 etc...why don't we tell Topps they can ONLY charge $10 for each set...I do like the idea of Neil keeping a set amount of LE for those sleepy forum members...I find it kind of exciting on the day the LE's are released - it like a hot stock...get in or stay out...

Respectfully yours,

The Capitalist Tool

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2010, 10:19:40 AM »
I don't know if there is a way to do this to please everyone.
1. Neil could give the forum members a few days notice.
2. One idea would be for Topps to pull 50 sets for Neil to offer to forum members that missed out.
3. Topps could do a one day pre-sale for just forum members
4. Topps could sell 25 sets an hour for the day.

The problem with this that it's probably a pain for Neil to have to deal with managing the 50 or so sets and also Topps is not affiliated with this forum so they probably don't feel any obligation to do a special program.
When dealing with limited supply it's tough to make everyone happy because you can't. Limited means it won't last long and people will miss out.
Tough deal!

#1. - Doesn't Neil already kind of do that....I don't log on much and I haven't missed yet...
Like #2 and #3 ( Best Option - like the WOS I deal) the best...

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2010, 10:25:14 AM »

Well said BumChex...hence the secondary market...(ebay..)

Offline Hustler08

« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2010, 10:43:08 AM »

-Neil

Dude,

Don't forget to include the now famous 'Lost - 'fell off the truck' LE PS6 Sets' in the newsletter...this might be a good ploy to get some to refund their money so that dissed forum members could get the LE sets they missed...INTERESTING  :^)

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2010, 12:13:41 PM »
Regarding Bustedfingers earlier question, I'm in the process of collecting the images and hope to put the entire thing online in the next few days.
A newsletter seems a bit outdated in this electronic age (it's been years since I've heard the term).
I assume it would be sent via e-mail?
Is Topps reluctant to post this type of information on their website?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2010, 09:02:05 PM »
I too LOVE the idea of the Postcard subscription. Like others have mentioned, everyone is guaranteed at least one LE set that way.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2010, 11:30:44 PM »
I too LOVE the idea of the Postcard subscription. Like others have mentioned, everyone is guaranteed at least one LE set that way.

Same here, outdated or not...Shoot I've been outdated for years! LOL :]
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2010, 11:41:49 PM »

The problem with that is one artist decided to do puzzle sets. If you only got one set with a puzzle piece how would you feel? I got one and knowing I may never have the 4 card set is not that appealing to me.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2010, 02:32:37 AM »
The problem with that is one artist decided to do puzzle sets. If you only got one set with a puzzle piece how would you feel? I got one and knowing I may never have the 4 card set is not that appealing to me.
A subscription would not mean you could only get one set. That would mean you are gauranteed one set. You could always purchase other sets through the public on sale depending on how many are allowed per person that way.

DrDeal

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2010, 06:33:41 AM »
Dude, don't forget to include the now famous 'Lost - 'fell off the truck' LE PS6 Sets' in the newsletter...this might be a good ploy to get some to refund their money so that dissed forum members could get the LE sets they missed...
I’m still laughing at that – this could turn into quite a TV miniseries (there's a dated term!) - fanatical WP collectors searching for The Lost LE PS6 Sets in the wild that fell off the truck and then got picked up by a homeless bum . . . and then the box was traded for a bottle of Mad Dog, and then it somehow ended up on a dusty shelf in a thrift store in North Dakota.
Your comment appears to be a criticism of the concept of sketch puzzles and not the idea of subscriptions. Even if a subscription allowed us to purchase 10 LE sets each, that wouldn’t change the fact you might end up with partial puzzles. I kind of like the idea of subscriptions – as long as all of us can get to our computer in time to snipe one!
There seems to be quite a bit of interest in having a newsletter for the Wacky Packages Postcards, so people can keep track of the different sets, the sketch cards, and release dates. Stay tuned for more details!
-Neil
My confusion about this potential newsletter, assuming it would be electronic, is if it would include images. From Neil’s comment, I assumed it would, but I could be wrong – maybe it would be only information. Not sure how they would include images in an electronic newsletter, unless it was somehow linked to the web.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2010, 06:43:17 AM »
A subscription would not mean you could only get one set. That would mean you are gauranteed one set. You could always purchase other sets through the public on sale depending on how many are allowed per person that way.

DrDeal

Exactly. The main point of the paid subscription service is that nobody will miss out on getting a Limited Ed set. You can still buy the max allowed sets from Topps as always (if you're available the day they go on sale.) That way the "release day" excitement will still be kept alive.

I guess a side benefit of the sub service, is you will be getting one extra set if you also purchase the max allowed on release day. For example this series, if you bought 5 sets on release day, it would be 5 + 1 if you were on the sub service. Make sense?

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2010, 06:53:20 AM »
Exactly. The main point of the paid subscription service is that nobody will miss out on getting a Limited Ed set. You can still buy the max allowed sets from Topps as always (if you're available the day they go on sale.) That way the "release day" excitement will still be kept alive.

I guess a side benefit of the sub service, is you will be getting one extra set if you also purchase the max allowed on release day. For example this series, if you bought 5 sets on release day, it would be 5 + 1 if you were on the sub service. Make sense?

Makes perfect sense to me!