Author Topic: Looking for book I had as a kid, think it was Wacky Pack related.  (Read 4450 times)

Offline jayel

Hi everyone, I stumbled across this board while doing some Google searching. I need some help, and this is proving to be difficult. I'm searching for a book I had as a kid. It was a paperback book full comic strips. Not like superhero comic books, but more like the funny pages, only no real continuity in characters. It would have been printed probably in the late 70s or early 80s. Here is what I remember from it:

1. There was a slick car salesman trying to sell a "Cardoobie" (spoof of a Corvette). I specifically remember them referencing the bucket seats.

2. I think there was an ad for "Crust" toothpaste.

3. There was a strip making fun of The Tonight Show, saying "We've got a treat for you tonight folks, Johnny's actually here!"

4. A young boy and girl looking nervously over their shoulders, talking loudly to each other to keep monsters or ghosts away.

5. I think there was also a strip about things adults do after kids go to bed to make them jealous or something. It was something about staying up past your bedtime - possibly related to the Tonight Show strip.

I'd like to find this on Amazon and read it again after all these years. I just don't have specific enough search terms to hunt by. I know now that Crust was a Wacky Pack thing, and since the other cartoons I can remember seem to be parodies, it seems that Wacky Packs may be what I am looking for. However, I cannot find anything in paperback book form. Can someone help me?

Offline mlmtf6

Re: Looking for book I had as a kid, think it was Wacky Pack related.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 10:09:14 AM »
Could it have been an issue of mad magazine or one of their paperbacks?  I just googled "crust toothpaste" and got a bunch of hits.

Offline jayel

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 10:55:05 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I really don't think it was MAD, for two reasons. My parents didn't approve of MAD magazine, and I think I would remember a name that big. I can't say it's impossible, but from the Google images I'm looking at, the MAD sketches seem to be smaller and more detailed than what I'm thinking.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 04:08:58 PM »
Possibly Dynamite magazine, which was part of the whole scholastic book thing in the schools?

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 07:16:15 PM »
Possibly Dynamite magazine, which was part of the whole scholastic book thing in the schools?

Wow Dynamite, Now there's a mag that takes you back to the 70's.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 06:35:03 AM »

That sounds right! I remember seeing at least one story about Wackys.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 11:09:55 AM »
That sounds right! I remember seeing at least one story about Wackys.

Besides running a few articles on Wackie over the years, DYNAMITE used to create their own Wacky Package like items as well. Some where labels intended to replace an existing product label. Others were cut out boxes you could assemble, etc.  We had a discussion concerning DYNAMITE some time ago here on the forum:
              http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=579.0

Unfortunately, many of the image links are now defunct. Jason has a link to many of the issue covers that is still active. I also remember a similar publication to DYNAMITE called BANANAS but it may have been geared for a younger audience.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 07:49:25 AM »
I have a bunch of Dynamite mags. I'll check when I get home this weekend.