Author Topic: Hand- Painted Artists on Demand Promo Postcard by Jason Brower  (Read 11503 times)

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
Hello again everyone,

Just wanted to let you all know that I've just listed a hand-painted Artists on Demand promo postcard on ebay. It's the first of a bunch I plan on doing, so, if you have any commission requests let me know ( Weird Wheels, Ugly Stickers, Frankenstein Valentines, Monster Initials). The first one is a Frankenstein Valentines Creature from the Black Lagoon parody. Thanks for looking and good luck bidding!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/301588340811?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

Jason

« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 02:36:54 PM by Jason Brower »

Offline drono

Re: Hand- Painted Artists on Demand Promo Postcard by Jason Brower
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 03:16:13 PM »
Did anyone ever buy one of these?

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:54:03 PM »
When you say "one of these" what do you mean exactly?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 10:47:32 PM »
Critical Topps comment alert.             That the front of this sketch postcard is an AOD advertisement is strange.

Jason, I know you don't make the design decisions at Topps, so this is not directed at you. I think most of us love the idea of a postcard sketch, but squeezing it into the address half of the reverse side is bizarre. I think it makes for poor artistic presentation.   

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2015, 10:54:37 AM »
That's cool if you feel that. It's a promo for AOD titles and I'm just doing a hand-painted piece of art in the big blank white section. I think it looks pretty cool, actually. Just a little something I thought would be cool. It's also not really squeezed in, it's actually slightly bigger than a sketch card and I think it looks pretty cool on the back. The front of this postcard is quite nice and I'm not sure why you'd think it's strange, but, hey, that's just my opinion. No worries.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 12:24:03 PM by Jason Brower »

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2015, 12:58:29 PM »
That's cool if you feel that. It's a promo for AOD titles and I'm just doing a hand-painted piece of art in the big blank white section. I think it looks pretty cool, actually. Just a little something I thought would be cool. It's also not really squeezed in, it's actually slightly bigger than a sketch card and I think it looks pretty cool on the back. The front of this postcard is quite nice and I'm not sure why you'd think it's strange, but, hey, that's just my opinion. No worries.

I jump to so many conclusions, it’s as if I live on a pogo stick. I didn’t realize it’s artwork added to a promo card. I was thinking it is a stand-alone item, and that it would be a release of sorts, like AOD sketches.

I had a bit to drink last night. That’s my only excuse for my confusion and harsh judgment…

I enjoy your artwork.

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2015, 01:08:53 PM »
hahaha, no worries Jean Nutty. Maybe I could've been more clear on what it was. Thank you for the kind words. By the way, here's a Monster Initials and an Ugly Stickers!

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:38:20 PM by Jason Brower »

Offline drono

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 12:44:59 PM »
When you say "one of these" what do you mean exactly?

Did anyone ever order one of the Artist on Demand drawings?  I remember Topps promoting it, but I can't remember if it ever happened.

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 01:07:40 PM »
Oh, ok, sorry. There were around four or five series of them and they sold fairly well but not great. It was definitely a fun program.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 01:31:50 PM »
Did anyone ever order one of the Artist on Demand drawings?  I remember Topps promoting it, but I can't remember if it ever happened.

There are quite a few of them posted in the "Artist on Demand" thread.  Smokin' Joe did a really cool Weird Wheels card for me.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 01:47:22 PM »
Jason, very cool idea and great looking cards.  The UGLY art is fantastic!

AOD was a blast for the artists as we were assigned just a few cads (eight per set) and really had time to do beautiful work.  Most sketch sets are a couple of hundred cards in a month or two, so and it's incredibly hard on the artists.  I don't think there's an artist doing sketch cards that doesn't have a horror story of trying to make a deadline.  I think Topps came up with AOD as a way to thank artists for their years of dedication.  As Jason pointed out, it was a fun program and it revived some very cool Topps series from the 1960's that hadn't seen the light of day for years.  The UGLY stickers where my favorites, as I'm a huge fan of Basil Wolverton's work.

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 02:53:33 PM »
Thanks Joe, I appreciate that! It's too bad it didn't last longer or do better. It was great that it opened up exposure for those very cool titles. One of the greatest joys for me working on Wackys and Ugly Stickers, etc. is that I grew up with and collected these and now I'm doing sketch cards for them. It doesn't get any cooler than that. For anyone interested, the Monster Initials is up now, as well. Here's a Weird Wheels Fast Frank! (Going on ebay soon as well as the Ugly Sticker one).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/301592376104?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 01:59:27 PM by Jason Brower »

Offline Jason Brower

• jasonbrowerart.com
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2015, 06:13:43 AM »
So, the Monster Initials, Frankenstein Valentines and Weird Wheels Fast Frank sold. I have a handful more of these, so, if anyone is interested in any type of art/ character on them just let me know. I've decided to keep the Ugly Sticker. Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:20:31 PM by Jason Brower »