Author Topic: Anybody still collecting these?  (Read 10581 times)

Offline Joe G.

Anybody still collecting these?
« on: April 06, 2015, 08:11:36 PM »
So I don't think we ever posted our final Olds 5 sketch collections.  I was shooting for one from each artist but ended up a few short.  Still I got a number from some old and new favorite artists.

Offline lucidjc

Re: Anybody still collecting these?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 08:49:52 PM »
I think Chenduz is the real star of this series. The only one from my case worth a penny sleeve and top loader. Very unhappy with the quality of the sketches, again. You would think with so many more artists that the quality would go up. Its the only thing that can keep the series afloat, and its the very thing killing it.

Jim

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:39:48 PM »
Jim, you're certainly right that Vincenzo really hit it out of the park.  200 sketches, every one color and every one killer!  But I like to see new artists and even the simple or seemingly rushed sketches appeal to me.  Also I always love getting a sketch from a Wacky artist.  The first Olds 5 sketch I pulled was the Wheaton Toadal and that was too cool.   I think the main thing that's hurting sketches is that the market is just too saturated.  We all have sketches by the core Wacky artists so it's hard to justify the expense to get another.  I was super stoked to get a color Dave Gross and also dig every sketch that Ron Comes does but I'm still not buying like I used to.  I think what needs to happen is that the sets that depended on sketches for sales need to mix it up a bit.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 03:14:30 AM »
So I don't think we ever posted our final Olds 5 sketch collections.  I was shooting for one from each artist but ended up a few short.  Still I got a number from some old and new favorite artists.

I kept the 9 that came in my boxes.  This scan was posted in the Old School 5 Sketch thread, but here they are again.

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 06:03:32 AM »
I know these are not old school 5 but Vincenzo did these for me. 

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2015, 05:28:44 PM »
Pat, thanks for re-posting, I remember thinking your pulls were fantastic and indeed they are!

Joe, thanks for sharing, those are amazing return cards!  Vincenzo's work on WP 2014 was as great as his OS 5 work and I'm sure his sketches on WP 2015 will be amazing as well.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2015, 07:13:06 PM »
Here are my Old School 5 sketches. I went for all 20 titles and tried to spread it across as many different artists as possible. I think I ended up with 21 of the 24 artists. The bottom-most left sketch is a Mosquito/Woozy Willy hybrid artist-return by Vincenzo, which turned out very nice indeed.

aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 08:05:28 PM »
Scot, those are great!  A very cool mix and a nice assortment of artists, colors and characters.  I love Lily Mercado's waving Gatoraid, Steven Potter's color Peter Pan and Zapata's Hippy.  Of course, the color Brower, the Vincenzo and Simko rock as well.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2015, 08:24:19 PM »
Scot, those are great!  A very cool mix and a nice assortment of artists, colors and characters.  I love Lily Mercado's waving Gatoraid, Steven Potter's color Peter Pan and Zapata's Hippy.  Of course, the color Brower, the Vincenzo and Simko rock as well.

And what about that BUG WALLY?  ;)

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2015, 09:22:13 PM »
Scot, well, now that you mention it, I guess that PlaySkull Bug Wally combo is very cool.  When doing the Olds 5 sketches, I left the Bug Wally character toward the end because I couldn't find a take on him I liked.  I had already done Hippy Combos with series 14 characters and thought I'd try the same thing with Wally.  Having him combo with other series 13 Wacky characters turned out pretty fun.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 09:03:06 AM »
Scot, well, now that you mention it, I guess that PlaySkull Bug Wally combo is very cool.  When doing the Olds 5 sketches, I left the Bug Wally character toward the end because I couldn't find a take on him I liked.  I had already done Hippy Combos with series 14 characters and thought I'd try the same thing with Wally.  Having him combo with other series 13 Wacky characters turned out pretty fun.

Joe, A well deserved pat on the back. Keep the great :great: stuff coming!!

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 02:17:48 PM »
Boxes have been reduced to  $19.99 a box,  $160 for 8 boxes, but the case price of 8 is still $211....hmmmmm, they are really on the ball over there.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 01:51:54 AM »
Boxes have been reduced to  $19.99 a box,  $160 for 8 boxes, but the case price of 8 is still $211....hmmmmm, they are really on the ball over there.

If they make the case price $160, I'd go for it just for pack killing fun.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2015, 05:42:42 AM »

I know i saw that too...math isn't their strong point!! Slopps!!!

Offline drono

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 03:19:55 PM »
The case box itself is collectible!  Isn't that worth $52.07? 

I wonder if you bought 8 boxes, if they would include the case box for free?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2015, 04:48:04 PM »
had my original set, all B&Ws, and then added on a few color sketches from artists I didn't already have.
creep is all in florescent colors and really pops

« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 06:09:57 PM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 05:48:11 PM »
Patrick, great set of cards, thanks for sharing.  That Maz toadal is great and your cards remind me of the fantastic work that Dustin, Jon Gregory and Monserrat did on the set.  Also Steven Potter, of GPK fame, is another new superb Wacky artist.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2015, 05:18:42 AM »
Here are my newest pulls.

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 10:44:00 AM »
so what are they? are they printed without the signature then sent to the artist that drew them...they sign them and then they send them back to insert in packages?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 11:09:47 AM »
so what are they? are they printed without the signature then sent to the artist that drew them...they sign them and then they send them back to insert in packages?

These are sketch cards that the artists draw/paint and then send back to Topps to insert in packs.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 12:42:41 PM »
Rick, to put it simply, sketch artists turn this into this.  Neat, huh.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 02:55:53 PM by Joe G. »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 01:11:58 PM »
Rick, to put it simply, sketch artists turn this in this.  Neat, huh.

Great photo!!! Alex

anything