Author Topic: Wackys on Pawn Stars  (Read 8294 times)

Offline Liptorn

Wackys on Pawn Stars
« on: March 26, 2015, 06:11:01 PM »
Wackys were featured on the new episode of Pawn Stars that just aired tonight.
The segment is within the first 8 minutes of the show and the name of the episode is "Crossing
Chum"

Offline Liptorn

Re: Wackys on Pawn Stars
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:40:18 PM »
They end up talking about Wackys all the way until the end of the episode.
Even though they refer to them as Wackys Ads a bunch of times, it's nice exposure for
our hobby.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 07:44:08 PM »
It looks like it's being replayed later tonight. Setting DVR now.

Offline Kook

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 08:31:54 PM »
Wackys were featured on the new episode of Pawn Stars that just aired tonight.
The segment is within the first 8 minutes of the show and the name of the episode is "Crossing
Chum"

Thanks for the heads up. I TiVo Pawn Stars so I was able to watch it. The guy had a collection of about 350 1st thru looks like 6th series cards. Problem was they were stuck in those old fashioned 70s photo albums. The pawn stars paid $500 for the collection, but I can guarantee the backs of all those stickers will be striped. I bet they are worth probably $150 on a good day only because it looked like there were a lot of 1st series cards including bandache, so they would have some value even in poor condition. Interesting.

Offline Snuffy

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 04:05:02 PM »
It would have been cool to see what there expert would have valued them at.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 05:14:52 PM »
I personally don't buy into anything that you see on reality TV.  I would bet that the whole thing was scripted and the price they paid was all part of the act.  Don't get me wrong.  I think it is great to see Wackys making it on the show.  I'm just pretty jaded when it comes to reality TV.
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Kook

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 05:53:26 PM »
It would have been cool to see what there expert would have valued them at.

Liptorn mentioned that they talked about the wackys all through the show. I only watched the first segment, so I went back & watched the rest. They did go back to them a few additional times. Rick said he remembered them well & liked them a lot. I think he is about 50 years old too. They did end up getting their expert in, and he did point out the stripes on the backs of the cards. The expert valued the collection at about $300, which I think was high in light of the damage, but the stickers were in nice shape otherwise. If you have the show recorded, it is worth watching. I just zipped through to the 3 or 4 wacky related segments and it only took less than 10 minutes to watch.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 09:56:05 AM »
For anyone who hasn't seen the episode, you can watch it here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kxuiz

I have to say, I was surprised that their "expert" valued them so high (before he knew about the photo album damage).  He estimated between $3 and $5 per card.  Maybe he moonlights at PSA?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 11:14:34 AM »
For anyone who hasn't seen the episode, you can watch it here:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2kxuiz

I have to say, I was surprised that their "expert" valued them so high (before he knew about the photo album damage).  He estimated between $3 and $5 per card.  Maybe he moonlights at PSA?

THX FOR POSTING THAT!!! those guys, expert and all, really had no idea about Wacky Packs - never even zero'd in one the RARE ones like Bandaches
He did see the backs - but i once got the same album with 15th series stickers and NOT ALL the BACKS had the glue - some were perfectly fine...they s/h checked them all... :-\ :-\ :-\