Author Topic: I wonder what this was for?  (Read 10368 times)

Offline Kook

Re: I wonder what this was for?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 05:56:08 PM »
Interesting. Could it have been the production wrapper for the '79 test series?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:48:34 PM »
The design doesn't really match that wrapper. It appears to be something post 10th series though....

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 07:13:38 PM »
I remember when topps vault auctioned that off and I posted about it on Greg's forum.
Would have been a cool wrapper, but wonder how easy it would have been to see through.
Although maybe they didn't care about that. They certainly don't now.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 08:23:02 AM »
Oh, so you think the intent was a white wrapper? Maybe it was intended for the 12th series (white box) before the decision was made to just re-use the green wrapper again.

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 09:34:37 AM »
looks like a mock up or some scammer making a fake. $1500 for junk Wouldn't touch it with a 37.9 foot pole.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 09:54:02 AM »
It's a a Topps Vault item, legit. No one here has any intention of buying it.

Offline quas

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:39:28 AM »
It's a a Topps Vault item, legit. No one here has any intention of buying it.

I have a lot of curiousity about it but not $1,950 worth.  Not even close.  It could remain in probstein's listings for years.
Marc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2015, 10:43:02 AM »
I can't make out the word at the top, but I'm starting to think the notation is for the yellow outline to be removed.

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2015, 01:04:09 PM »
these silly and I might add EXPENSIVE items they put up must be how they finance the new wackies, or whatever else they sell that loses money. I was told they took four of five wacky original art from artists to sell. (The main reason I never approached them)...use my art as many times as you want but the art's mine. I wish they would go back to cheap card stock, cheapo wax packs, lousy stiff cardboard gum so kids could actually afford to buy hockey / baseball and whatever other cards sets are out there. Then kids could actually afford to complete a set! I bought an unopened box of hockey cards in 1976..a complete set (396) was in the box! and it cost what 15 cents a pack.I bet if they went back to cheaply made stuff they could sell a lot of cheapies in a pack for a measly buck...kids could throw them at walls again rather than having dad guard them with his life. It's like taxes and politicians. they think if they raise taxes they get more money, but people find ways to avoid the higher tax and the government gets less money, so they raise taxes again. France raised taxes to 75% for the rich so the rich left and no football (Soccer) player will play for France! Now the world is in financial ruin. Catering to collectors break every hobby. 1980's Comics catered to collectors boomed then bust and the distributors went bankrupt as did many comics makers. Cards catered to collectors in the early 90's card prices soared,  boom then bust.

Oh did I say that out loud?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 01:09:42 PM »
I have a lot of curiousity about it but not $1,950 worth.  Not even close.  It could remain in probstein's listings for years.

This guy always has high value wacky stuff (or high value to him). I think this guy is a consigner but not sure. He has over a 225K rating so he must sell a ton of stuff.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 01:14:53 PM »
Oh did I say that out loud?
Seems you say a lot out loud.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2015, 01:18:21 PM »
I think this guy is a consigner but not sure.
I do believe probstein is a consigner. He is actually located only a few towns from me, in lovely Passaic, NJ.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2015, 01:33:21 PM »
Oh, so you think the intent was a white wrapper? Maybe it was intended for the 12th series (white box) before the decision was made to just re-use the green wrapper again.
That was my thinking - white wrapper with the white box for the twelfth.

Not that there are too many consistent patterns with topps, but the white box seems like it could have been used for the sixteenth, so maybe a new pack color for that one. But then sixteenth ended up with the radically redesigned packaging

Offline quas

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »
This guy always has high value wacky stuff (or high value to him). I think this guy is a consigner but not sure. He has over a 225K rating so he must sell a ton of stuff.

I actually visited him in his house a few years ago in order to more closely examine some non-Wacky items.  He is a consignor.
Marc

Offline drono

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 07:24:32 AM »
I wish they would go back to cheap card stock, cheapo wax packs, lousy stiff cardboard gum so kids could actually afford to buy hockey / baseball and whatever other cards sets are out there. Then kids could actually afford to complete a set!

Too much competition now.  When Topps was the only vendor in the market, it was easy to sell whatever they made.  The market was primarily kids below the age of 13, so it had to be affordable.  Now a lot of us old farts are buying the cards to try and recapture our childhood.  We're supposed to have deeper pockets, so they charge what they think we'll pay.  My son loves football, so I tried to get him into collecting football cards, but he was more interested in Xbox.  Besides with the plethora of information available on the Internet, finding high quality photos and stats for any player who ever played is so easy now that you don't need to buy a piece of cardboard with a stick of gum anymore.  I think you'll either see a radical change in the near future for the collectible card market or it will completely die out when we die off or just get too old to care anymore.