Author Topic: a question of distribution and ratio of chase cards  (Read 4352 times)

Offline ElectricSlave

a question of distribution and ratio of chase cards
« on: March 13, 2015, 11:23:12 AM »
Hi Guys. and Gurls.
I'm in something of a quandary.
On one hand I don't like the idea of forcing people to buy more than one set to get all the extra variant or 'rare' cards> I think it's a cheezy way to make more sales :97:.
On the other hand people like 'chase cards' and have requested I make them...and I recently came up with a real pip that allows for several variants... I haven't had this much fun making wackies in along time :00123100: :00123102: :00123103: :57:.
    For my set in the works and nearly finished I have so far two rare examples which I cannot make any more of. they are fixed as they were made from the original drawing before painting or completing the painting: they are variants of existing cards. Some may like them, some may not and trade them. There are 27 (all numbered) of each and they will be given out on a first come first serve basis.1(ONE) per person no matter how many sets you order. Period. :clock: :c023:  They will not be forge-able because I have just created a real cool backs on them...that makes them impossible to forge. ( I think you as a forum will have fun with the backs and recreating the entire "puzzle" if you will)
   However I'm now working on #28 and I like I said, came up with what I think is a real cool set of variants. But some people might think they are stupid..and technically the variations are endless but I'm sticking with X number of variants  for a decipherable reason.  I couldn't sell someone a set with all the variants as I'm sure someone would say "What the hell is this!?  :38: a cheap miserable excuse to make more money?!...take these back and sell me the set for less" so I'll print them in a ratio. There are X amount of variants and they will be produced at Y ratio to the master Card. Some people want all the variants, but to give them all for a set would disrupt the ratio... and not to mention screw up the shipping rate and thus the cost to me for a set. I Don't want people forced to buy extra sets to get all the variants as that's something I find nasty, but I don't want to disturb the integrity of the ratio as these too will have the fun to make and impossible to forge backs, and they too will all be numbered...and some people like the idea of tougher to get cards.  (If by chance someone actually buys the correct number of sets as some will buy more than one anyway, they will get exactly one complete set of variants)
    My determination for them is to give people the exact ratio in each set sent purchased ( they would thus get one and one trader per set). If you think the extras are silly then you can trade them to other members, and if you like them you can get them from other members.

BUT what if more people like them?
Should I A) stick with the ratio to retain the integrity and thus potential value of the card and thus force people to buy more sets? :bluegrab:
OR B) make Forum versions  with different backs and only trade them when I have 9 requests as they are printed 9 at a time. This maintains the ratio of the original cards with the neat backs but allows more people to get the 'knockoffs' to supply demand... similar... well basically the equivalent of reprints :spam1:. they will still have special backs and not be forge-able but not the same back design as the true cards for the ratio.
Or C I could sell to people that buy locally a set just the base set and that would increase the availability somewhat of the chase cards for the fanatics. ...but that might only free up a handful.
OR D your input here?
OR E am I just too damn polite  :shut_up: and should I stick to the Ratio period and if you don't like it too bad? >:D. I don't like people being mad at me though or forcing people to buy extra sets. thus my quandary :41:. what's fair?  :tongue2: :smiley_confused1:

Offline dth1971

Re: a question of distribution and ratio of chase cards
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 02:48:18 PM »
Stick with the ratio.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 04:15:23 PM »
Stick with the ratio.

Stick with ratio. When/ where  can I send paypal for a set????

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 08:53:34 AM »
tl;dr
apologies

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 09:39:53 AM »
Stick with ratio. When/ where  can I send paypal for a set????
When I finish drawing,  painting and printing the set. I still have two more to think up plus I have to finish #28's varieties. I also have to create the backs of the cards and then of course finish printing out the backs on the sets. I'll make an announcement and try to contact all with messages who expressed interest so far. (in order of receiving the requests)

To make the first come first serve basis work fairly for people who send by mail , anyone that pays by paypal will have a certain number of days added to the time as to the date payed. I prefer to get a $10 in the mail (If I get paypal I tend to spend it on ebay and it evaporates whereas a $10 spot can sit with the cards and be set aside for printing more on demand...you'll see why soon)

It will also be priced slightly higher for paypal payments than if payed by mail to cover fees. That might not be considered right to some people but I'm actually pricing the set pretty low compared to costs and if paypal was priced the same it becomes pretty tight.
     I've sent some $ to a member and it's been two weeks so far and I sent a copy of my book to another member and it was about ten days. I'll probably do an average to allow people who send by mail a fair chance to get in first to get the low numbers.
So say you paypal on the first of a month I would put your date received as say for example  the 11th then if someone pays by mail and it gets here one week later (7th) he gets the lower number.
If say the numbers run out with one left and two arrive on the same day each will get one of the two left (two different ) if three or more arrive same day I will draw lots.

but if you don't get one don't worry they are no big deal. One is just a finished drawing before it was painted and it will be available as a colouring page anyway) the other will be available with a coloured border after the first 27 run out. (but it will be a copy of a copy so not as crisp thus the coloured border to distinguish it)

It sounds like keeping the ratio is preferred...I saw 80 people had read and no other options or rebuttals to that option.

The ratio will be two to one of the kinds (1 master versus 2 of the varieties combined) but the number of varieties actually reduce the ratio to a rarer degree of each individual kind. I'll let you figure out how many kinds there are.
I thought I would send everyone the master and two copies of one of the kinds so you could trade one. But perhaps you would prefer two of the different kinds meaning no trader but you get three versions?

What would people prefer? the master and two of one of the kinds(one for trade on the off chance you don't like the varieties business) , or the master and two different varieties?
what would people prefer? one variety for the collection and a trader or two different varieties?

Offline dth1971

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 06:37:21 PM »
The master and two of one of its kinds.

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2015, 10:55:07 AM »
The master and two of one of its kinds.
Wow! you like it the hardest possible way!
well back to work. I'm loving making these variants and it will be fun to see the reactions to them when I can finally start offering them for sale.  If I could only think up two more wackies..well I do have the one I haven't used yet so maybe I only have to think up one more...
OK back at 'er
thanks for the replies. 129 views and no squawking about the possibility of having to get extra sets to get one chase set. ..?.. The all new retro series 5 I understand you have to buy two BOXES just to get one Puzzle...I mean that's just mean! and baseball / Hockey cards are so much a single package no one can afford to buy a set and certainly not a kid who the cards were originally intended to attract in the first place. starnge.

Offline drstu

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2015, 12:48:23 PM »
I would like to get a set when it is complete....

anything