Author Topic: Wacky Trivia  (Read 7687 times)

Offline Lavirus

Wacky Trivia
« on: November 24, 2014, 04:31:45 PM »
Through ANS 2014 S1, there have been 1973 unique Wacky images representing 1305 unique products.

You can guess the two that have appeared most often: Gadzooka and Weakies, 13 times each.

Gadzooka has been a die-cut, sticker, poster, magnet, patch and even updated via the Where-Are-They-Now subset.

Weakies has been a die-cut, sticker, poster (twice), clingy, magnet, lenticular, tattoo, mini cereal box, baseball card, and had it's inners revealed via the What's-In-The-Box subset.

Offline Lavirus

Re: Wacky Trivia
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 04:51:26 PM »
ANS 2014 S1 had a rare product-title duplicate: Stench's Mustard also ran in ANS3. The other times it's happened:

Beastball Bubble Gum, as shown in Flashback 1, was a completely different design than the 13th series title.

Cover Ghoul in the 5th series was a modern version of the original die-cut design.

Eviltime in the Irish series was modelled after their packaging rather than what we see in the 6th series.

Hamel Cigarettes in the 1985 series is an update of the 15th series title.

Pampered first showed up as a bonus card in the Postcard 8 series and the next year in a new design for ANS10.

Taster's Choke is a new design in Flashback 1 compared to the 4th series. I believe it's based on a lost Norm Saunders version.

Windy's in ANS9 is different than the version in ANS6, and you could argue that it was updated again for a billboard in ANS10.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 04:56:50 PM »
The real product that has been parodied the most is, unsurprisingly, Wacky Packages itself. Bazooka, Pepsi and Snickers are next with 6 versions.

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 07:04:07 PM »
And Klepto Bismol from the Postcard Series 5 and ANS 10.

Klepto was one of my first designs accepted and it was used for the postcards. I scratched my head when I noticed the same title, even with a same 5-finger-discount gag, used in ANS. Do they not have a database at Topps? Someone there is not paying attention.

ANS 2014 S1 had a rare product-title duplicate: Stench's Mustard also ran in ANS3. The other times it's happened:

Beastball Bubble Gum, as shown in Flashback 1, was a completely different design than the 13th series title.

Cover Ghoul in the 5th series was a modern version of the original die-cut design.

Eviltime in the Irish series was modelled after their packaging rather than what we see in the 6th series.

Hamel Cigarettes in the 1985 series is an update of the 15th series title.

Pampered first showed up as a bonus card in the Postcard 8 series and the next year in a new design for ANS10.

Taster's Choke is a new design in Flashback 1 compared to the 4th series. I believe it's based on a lost Norm Saunders version.

Windy's in ANS9 is different than the version in ANS6, and you could argue that it was updated again for a billboard in ANS10.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 07:29:54 PM »
Great work, Mitch!  Now if only I can figure out how to download that master file  :-\

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 07:40:40 PM »
you get a bonus duplicate in the 2014's
there's a Hairy Combs in ANS2 as well
and the 2014 even has a hidden homage to the original by having "Gross" instead of "Post" (David Gross painted the ANS2 version)

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 07:43:15 PM »
Good catch, I updated my spreadsheet.

And, clearly, there's no one there paying attention. 2014 S1 product repeats:
Altoids - last done in Postcard Halloween 2011
Ben & Jerry's - last done in Postcard 4
Blow Pop - last done in ANS10
Brawny - last done in ANS3
Butterfinger - last done in ANS11
Cheerios - last done in ANS1
Chunky - last done in 10th
Coffee-Mate - last done in 10th
Cream Of Wheat - last done in ANS10
Drumstick - last done in ANS11
French's Mustard - last done in ANS3
Fruit Loops - last done in ANS8
G.I. Joe - last done in 1985
Hamburger Helper - last done in ANS11
Head & Shoulders - last done in ANS7
Honey Combs - last done in ANS7 - I just noticed this is also a complete duplicate title from ANS2
Hot Wheels - last done in 5th
Huggies Diapers - last done in ANS8
Jolly Rancher - last done in ANS10
Kool-Aid - last done in ANS6
Lalaloopsy - last done in ANS11
Listerine - last done in ANS5
Mentos - last done in ANS10
Mini-Wheats - last done in ANS11
Mr. Clean - last done in ANS5
Mrs. Butterworth's - last done in ANS7
Nutri-Grain - last done in ANS1
Nutter Butter - last done in ANS9
Perrier - last done in ANS5
Planters - last done in ANS9
Pop-Tarts - last done in ANS10
Popsicle - last done in 5th
PowerBar - last done in ANS6
Reese's Peanut Butter Cups - last done in ANS10
Reese's Pieces - last done in Postcard 2010 promo
Rice Krispies - last done in ANS8
Rice-A-Roni - last done in ANS10
Shake 'N Bake - last done in ANS6
Skittles - last done in ANS1
Sno-Caps - last done in ANS11
Snuggle - last done in ANS1
Soft Scrub - last done in ANS6
Sour Patch Kids - last done in ANS8
Starbucks - last done in ANS2
Subway - last done in ANS2
Sugar Babies - last done in 7th
Sunkist - last done in ANS11
Super Mario Bros - last done in ANS10
Swedish Fish - last done in ANS8
Twizzlers - last done in ANS11
Wacky Packages - last done in Postcard 1
Ziploc - last done in ANS3

That's 52 out of 94 new gags!

Ok, didn't mean to go all Darryl but I was curious. I don't begrudge an old product being reused 10+ years later, or updated packaging, or just a good gag, but there's plenty on this list that don't qualify.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 07:50:55 PM »
With Chrome, everything through the 3rd series has been reprinted. Here's what's never been rerun from the 4th series:

Bent Cigarettes
Brute 88
Choke Wagon
Grazin' Bran
Heave Cigarettes
Mess Clairol
Nestree
Quake 'n Ache
Windhex

It's interesting that one of the pulled titles and both replacements have never been rerun.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 07:59:11 PM »
The Can Labels are classic Saunders work:

A'Cent, Dr. Peeper, Forger's, Libber's, Pigs Blue Ribbon and Pro-Grossout were rerun in Flashback 2.
Aquax Cleaners is that same as the 12th series title.
Coma, Foney, Hawaiian Punks Juice (this is a different version), Tropicanine and White Duck have never been rerun.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 09:56:34 PM »
you get a bonus duplicate in the 2014's
there's a Hairy Combs in ANS2 as well
and the 2014 even has a hidden homage to the original by having "Gross" instead of "Post" (David Gross painted the ANS2 version)
When I was offered the new Hairy Combs gag to paint, I reminded Topps that there had already been a Hairy Combs in ANS2. I heard back that the target audience for the 2014 set was current kids who would not remember the first one from nearly ten years before. Also it was pointed out that product names like G.I. Toe had been repeated in the old days.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2014, 07:43:42 PM »
With Chrome, everything through the 3rd series has been reprinted. Here's what's never been rerun from the 4th series:

Bent Cigarettes
Brute 88
Choke Wagon
Grazin' Bran
Heave Cigarettes
Mess Clairol
Nestree
Quake 'n Ache
Windhex

It's interesting that one of the pulled titles and both replacements have never been rerun.

Was Bum Chex ever reprinted?

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »
Bum Chex was reprinted in Flashback 1 and in the 2013 cereal posters.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2014, 07:01:54 AM »
How about this? Apple Jerks cereal was first seen in original sticker series 3 as part of Snatch-a-Pak and then had its own sticker in ANS5.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2014, 10:12:55 AM »

Bent Cigarettes
Brute 88
Choke Wagon
Grazin' Bran
Heave Cigarettes
Mess Clairol
Nestree
Quake 'n Ache
Windhex

Mitch, I seem to recall that Bent Cigarettes was one of those Waky Packages Vending Stickers Dave Gross wrote about years ago.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2014, 12:13:02 PM »
Not as far as I can tell, even Greg's alphabetical list doesn't indicate it was ever reprinted.

Offline HaroldUnfog

• HaroldUnfogEK
Wacky Trivia
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2015, 01:55:38 PM »
You don't have to look far, I didn't really go anywhere :- It's also really awesome to see the same bunch of old faces on this board. How have you all been?

The original trivia indeed comes from both of those sources, and dates to a time when I didn't realize how important attribution is.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2015, 06:17:58 PM »
Will we see more updates when Wacky Packages 2015 Series 1 is released this Summer 2015?

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2015, 06:24:05 PM »
Without question. I'll do a comprehensive analysis.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 08:47:27 PM »
Quake 'N Ache has been redone twice: as Shake 'N Break in ANS6 and as Shave 'N Bake in 2014 S1.

Offline mikecho

« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 08:54:30 PM »
Also, the 1985 Hamel was actually a redone Camals. The 15th Series sticker was Camel Filters.