Author Topic: "Sealing the Deal" for Original Series Wackys  (Read 29875 times)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
"Sealing the Deal" for Original Series Wackys
« on: March 08, 2015, 09:28:02 AM »
I remember on the old forum, there was a thread where people categorized certain "levels" of having completed their OS1-16 collections.  There's not much discussion here on original series Wackys lately, and there's a lull in new Wacky sets - maybe starting this up will get some people interested in working on their OS sets during the lull.  Were there 4 levels?

I seem to recall that the distinctions involved whether a person had one of every series sticker, with matching puzzle, such that a series 4 with Windhex and Mess Clairoil with that puzzle counted, and a series 10 set without Pupsi counted if the puzzle pieces didn't show Pupsi.  But, I believe there was also a category for having Pupsi, as well as both a Pupsi puzzle and a non-Pupsi puzzle.  Does anyone here remember the categories?

This came to my mind today because I was remembering finding an OS6 Goodmans variation puzzle piece that got me within one puzzle piece of "sealing the deal" with the alternate puzzles.

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: "Sealing the Deal" for Original Series Wackys
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 11:15:02 AM »
here you go.
luckily Tom copied the key info
and the Search function on this forum paid off!

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=1677.msg37028#msg37028

------------------------------------------
A = One complete set of each series, 1 thru 16, with complete puzzles, and including Bandache, RunTony, Bumchex, Chokewagon, Windhex, MessClairoil, Pupsi, and BOTH variations of Spit&Spill, Grime, and Scoot, plus complete VARIATION puzzles for series 4,6,8,10.  Assumes that everything is in-tact & in collectable condition of EX or better.  No borderless or restuck.  Let's not worry about "back variations" or cut variants (Cram), or cloths, though.  Those are special.  ONE set of each series, doesn't matter which backs.  This is the "REAL" 1-16 run.

B = Complete set of 1-16 stickers with ALL variation stickers, but just ONE complete puzzle for each set.  Some people go this route and it should still be counted as a 1-16 run.

C = Complete set of 1-16 stickers AS REPRESENTED ON THE CHECKLISTS THAT GO WITH THEM.  For example, Bandache & RunTony must be present, but BumChex & Choke Wagon can be absent if the 4th series puzzle is the Windhex/Mess variety.  One Spit, Grime, Scoot sticker.  Pupsi's a toss-up, though.  Not sure if that should be in or out.  Hopefully nobody has gone this route, though.  It seems so naked.

NO REISSUE STICKERS, REPRODUCTIONS, DIECUTS/WACKY ADS, RE-STUCKS, BORDERLESS, OBVIOUS WONDERBREADS or UKs, OPCs, etc.  The run has to be authentic and complete to be counted.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 12:04:53 PM »
Thanks Patrick - you are so very good with the search function here!!   :great:

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 01:26:59 PM »
Thanks Patrick - you are so very good with the search function here!!   :great:
LOL, now that made me laugh! I think the search function and I have finally come to terms with each other....

odd that Scott was unsure of including a Pupsi-less 10 in group C. That's what's (not) on the checklist, so seems like a legit solution for group C.

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 07:14:12 PM »
I am a "B".

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2015, 07:26:02 PM »
I don't think I'm anything anymore.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2015, 07:40:37 PM »
Still an 'A'. Even have the Cram variations. I'm sure I'm about the same as most.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2015, 08:02:11 PM »
I don't think I'm anything anymore.
Now, now...we need to work on your self-esteem.   LOL

I'm quite sure I'm still an "A". I need to find some time to look thru my keeper set to be absolutely certain...haven't looked at them in a while.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2015, 02:47:11 AM »
Still an "A" for me.  I forgot about the Cram variation, which is nice - gives me something to look for!

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 03:59:07 AM »
A for me.

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 11:00:24 AM »
you mean you have to have all 16 series to even qualify to be on the list? nah that's no good...what about us guys that are still working on the sets. (I'm such a whiner) seems like there ought to be more letters. for those who have some sets... Maybe I'm a H or L something. (Maybe make a separate category for series 16 as that seems to be the original reason for the list...how many series 16 sets were there.) The list said 43 people had series 16, anyone completed one since?(not on that list)

1. ToadalToad (Scott): A
2. Charboy (Greg): A
3. Snotdrops (David): A
4. CapnCrud (John): A
5. Liptorn (Willie): A
6. Blank Crows (Bill): B
7. All-Brain (Jeff): (traded an A for a Reissue dynasty)
8. Slamjim (Dave): A
9. Schmutz: A+ (1-16 + full set of unopened packs)
10. Run-A-Way (Kirk): A/A
11. Soremel (George): B/B/B
12. bigtomi (Tom P): A
13. Moron Chicken (John K): A
14. battlecaps (Matt): A
15. Zenergizer (Paul H.): A-
16. Plastered Peanut (David C): A
17. Oh_Hairy (Harry): A
18. bandaches (Ernie): B
19. Mountain_Goo (Randy): A
20. DitchMasters (Andy): A
21. GadzookaBoy (Ron): A-
22. Truant (Tom): B
23. PDQBlues (Paul F.): A
24. HawaiianPunks (Jeff): A
25. Creep (Rusty): A
26. Lavirus: B-
27. Jerkens: B
28. 70s_Kid (JeffMac): C
29. run_tony (Mike): A
30. Playskull (James S): B
31. Chipereno: A-
32. RaMpB (Richie): A/A (1 set 4 each kid so no fighting)
33. BumChex (Brad): A
34. Tic_Toc (Craig): A/A- (missing Scoot NC in 2nd set)
35. Sugarmess: A-
36. stingray(Daryl): B
37. dementedtomatoes(Frank):A (missing Scoot no copyright)
38. dr_popper (Rob): A
39. RawGoo (Pat): A
40. TIED..up: A
41. Crackedjerk (Tom): C
42. Hipton
43. cmgmd (Charlie): A

I mean series 16 that's just oodles of Loot to get just one sticker let alone the set...I haven't gotten a single sticker yet. and no one seems to have any for trade...? I'd have valuable comic books I'd gladly trade to get series 16. ( i have all the images of series 16 but no actual originals)  I'd hoped to trade some series 15 duplicate sticker toward series 16 when I finally found out series 16 existed but some joker ripped me off of my 15th series traders before I knew how hard they were to get. a "friend" ... who hasn't faced me since the deal. So he knew what he was doing.
I've only completed minimum standard set(working on getting all the puzzles varieties) 3, 6, 9 (I don't know what happened to my series 8... bought it new and completed it waaay back and now I'm missing one? how'd that happen?) series 10 13 and 15
I bought new series 8, 9, 10[with pupsi], 13? (part of 14...only one crack at the box and when I came back they were gone) and 15 new. (But not in that order. I bought them new in this order 8, 9 15, 10 13? 14 ) and still have them though like I say I can't figure out why I'm now missing a sticker from series 8(Bam) I have all of series 13 but don't recall buying it new?(apparently missing one checklist BR),...maybe in Drumheller after buying series 10 there??  So I still have them all from when they were new. Completed 3 and 6 later and just about finished series 5 now and missing one checklist from series 7... so four cards will complete my series 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 15.
 Funny thing was I had virtually all of series 1-7 given to me back when I was buying series 8 and 9 , but no checklists were included which bothered me...I didn't know which ones belonged to which set. I know Bum chex was in there with Choke wagon, Mess clairall, Spic and span, I think all the toughies were in there  and I "sold" them for a dollar but he never gave me my dollar so technically they are still mine if I can ever find the guy.
by the way when was the last sticker removed from a set? Pupsi?
Series 17 coming soon! teeheehee Does drawing a set count for anything? YUKityYUK

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 12:01:25 PM »
you mean you have to have all 16 series to even qualify to be on the list? nah that's no good...what about us guys that are still working on the sets. (I'm such a whiner) seems like there ought to be more letters. for those who have some sets... Maybe I'm a H or L something. (Maybe make a separate category for series 16 as that seems to be the original reason for the list...how many series 16 sets were there.) The list said 43 people had series 16, anyone completed one since?(not on that list)

1. ToadalToad (Scott): A
2. Charboy (Greg): A
3. Snotdrops (David): A
4. CapnCrud (John): A
5. Liptorn (Willie): A
6. Blank Crows (Bill): B
7. All-Brain (Jeff): (traded an A for a Reissue dynasty)
8. Slamjim (Dave): A
9. Schmutz: A+ (1-16 + full set of unopened packs)
10. Run-A-Way (Kirk): A/A
11. Soremel (George): B/B/B
12. bigtomi (Tom P): A
13. Moron Chicken (John K): A
14. battlecaps (Matt): A
15. Zenergizer (Paul H.): A-
16. Plastered Peanut (David C): A
17. Oh_Hairy (Harry): A
18. bandaches (Ernie): B
19. Mountain_Goo (Randy): A
20. DitchMasters (Andy): A
21. GadzookaBoy (Ron): A-
22. Truant (Tom): B
23. PDQBlues (Paul F.): A
24. HawaiianPunks (Jeff): A
25. Creep (Rusty): A
26. Lavirus: B-
27. Jerkens: B
28. 70s_Kid (JeffMac): C
29. run_tony (Mike): A
30. Playskull (James S): B
31. Chipereno: A-
32. RaMpB (Richie): A/A (1 set 4 each kid so no fighting)
33. BumChex (Brad): A
34. Tic_Toc (Craig): A/A- (missing Scoot NC in 2nd set)
35. Sugarmess: A-
36. stingray(Daryl): B
37. dementedtomatoes(Frank):A (missing Scoot no copyright)
38. dr_popper (Rob): A
39. RawGoo (Pat): A
40. TIED..up: A
41. Crackedjerk (Tom): C
42. Hipton
43. cmgmd (Charlie): A

I mean series 16 that's just oodles of Loot to get just one sticker let alone the set...I haven't gotten a single sticker yet. and no one seems to have any for trade...? I'd have valuable comic books I'd gladly trade to get series 16. ( i have all the images of series 16 but no actual originals)  I'd hoped to trade some series 15 duplicate sticker toward series 16 when I finally found out series 16 existed but some joker ripped me off of my 15th series traders before I knew how hard they were to get. a "friend" ... who hasn't faced me since the deal. So he knew what he was doing.
I've only completed minimum standard set(working on getting all the puzzles varieties) 3, 6, 9 (I don't know what happened to my series 8... bought it new and completed it waaay back and now I'm missing one? how'd that happen?) series 10 13 and 15
I bought new series 8, 9, 10[with pupsi], 13? (part of 14...only one crack at the box and when I came back they were gone) and 15 new. (But not in that order. I bought them new in this order 8, 9 15, 10 13? 14 ) and still have them though like I say I can't figure out why I'm now missing a sticker from series 8(Bam) I have all of series 13 but don't recall buying it new?(apparently missing one checklist BR),...maybe in Drumheller after buying series 10 there??  So I still have them all from when they were new. Completed 3 and 6 later and just about finished series 5 now and missing one checklist from series 7... so four cards will complete my series 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 13, 15.
 Funny thing was I had virtually all of series 1-7 given to me back when I was buying series 8 and 9 , but no checklists were included which bothered me...I didn't know which ones belonged to which set. I know Bum chex was in there with Choke wagon, Mess clairall, Spic and span, I think all the toughies were in there  and I "sold" them for a dollar but he never gave me my dollar so technically they are still mine if I can ever find the guy.
by the way when was the last sticker removed from a set? Pupsi?
Series 17 coming soon! teeheehee Does drawing a set count for anything? YUKityYUK

This must have been a list of people from the old Wacky forum that had a 16th set, n'est pas? I have a complete 16th but am not on the list. My period of Wacky inactivity started about 1994 (after our kids where both born) until mid-2010 when I ran across this site. When were the salad days of the old forum?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline chipereno

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 05:26:39 PM »
The salad days of the old forum......
I rediscovered it all in 2004 and just went nuts obtaining the 1-16, diecuts and ads.
2004-2005 must have been the peak of all the 40 year olds reclaiming something.
Now it's 10 years later. 10 years older. Still love'm and still collecting the odd ball stuff.
I'll pass on the ANS 1 2015...too much poop and puke.
We could all get another gathering going.
I wonder WTF Greg has been up to? Not a lot of folks probably care but some are probably wondering.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 07:16:27 PM »
and before Greg's site, there were places like the original delphi forum, John Mann's fansite and of course, the mag that kept us all in the know, The Wrapper. Man, I must really be showing my age...

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 07:23:20 PM »
and before Greg's site, there were places like the original delphi forum, John Mann's fansite and of course, the mag that kept us all in the know, The Wrapper. Man, I must really be showing my age...

Hey Neil, Speaking of the Wrapper, Do you know if Les Davis is still cranking that mag. out?

Offline jleonard1967

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 08:55:40 PM »
I am an A with extras

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 08:58:04 PM »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 10:26:04 PM »

Hey Neil, Speaking of the Wrapper, Do you know if Les Davis is still cranking that mag. out?

Still cranking!  The latest issue I have is Jan. 1 - Feb. 15, 2015.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 07:10:05 AM »

There was a large community on the Prodigy service in the 1988 to 1993 range, as well. This was during the time you needed to subscribe to a service like Delphi, American Online or Prodigy to access much of anything on the Internet. Then a combination of things happened like these services starting to get greedy, small Internet providers starting to pop up, and businesses making their sites generally available.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 08:43:42 AM »

It's amazing when you think about it! Les should get a medal for keeping it going this long! And it's still just as fun and informative as it was in it's hay day.

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 10:44:11 AM »
The salad days of the old forum......
I rediscovered it all in 2004 and just went nuts obtaining the 1-16, diecuts and ads.
2004-2005 must have been the peak of all the 40 year olds reclaiming something.
Now it's 10 years later. 10 years older. Still love'm and still collecting the odd ball stuff.
I'll pass on the ANS 1 2015...too much poop and puke.
We could all get another gathering going.
I wonder WTF Greg has been up to? Not a lot of folks probably care but some are probably wondering.
My set is definitely avoiding the "poop and Puke" business. Mine set might even be leaning the other way...I think you'll love my set...Trying to prove in a sense you don't need to be gross to be fun. working on #28 of a 30 card set so it will be available soon. though I love the wackies...some are pretty >UGH< but sometimes I put up with some to enjoy the others. I finished drawing #28 so now I'm colouring...them...hahaha... you'll find out what that means soon enough...heeheehee...
hey is the flake still exist? I'm contemplating advertizing my set there...I think...

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 12:57:23 PM »

Absolutely amazing, He's been at it since 1978.

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »
It's amazing when you think about it! Les should get a medal for keeping it going this long! And it's still just as fun and informative as it was in it's hay day.

Agreed He should get some kind of medal for being at the helm this long, My 1st issue I acquired was #99 and I subscribed to it for many yrs. Then I decided to quit my run with it because the Wacky availability was getting shorter and shorter in it and I discovered Greg's forum then eventually this one.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 04:29:25 PM »

Agreed He should get some kind of medal for being at the helm this long, My 1st issue I acquired was #99 and I subscribed to it for many yrs. Then I decided to quit my run with it because the Wacky availability was getting shorter and shorter in it and I discovered Greg's forum then eventually this one.

There's so much interesting stuff in the mag that I don't care whether or not Wackys are a prominent feature.

Offline landoquakes

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2015, 12:28:55 PM »
I had a lot of fun writing for the Wrapper in the past and for the first time in years I put an article together for an old Topps Artist Maurice Blumenfeld that was very challenging to research.  It makes me think someone should do a "who's who" in wacky packages, all the artists, collectors, Topps Staff, etc.  while everyone still has the knowledge.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 02:16:49 PM by landoquakes »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2015, 02:44:48 PM »
Pete, wonderful article on one of the early greats of Topps non-sports cards.  Thanks so much for posting.

Offline Bladerunner

« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2016, 12:35:22 PM »
Thank you, Pat!!! (aka RawGoo)

We just completed a trade for an OS 16 Sufferin and that's all I needed to seal the deal - in an "A" category kind of way!!!

Thanks again!

Now what am I supposed to do?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2016, 04:41:35 PM »
Now what am I supposed to do?
Congrats on sealing the deal! Now, you upgrade until you die.

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 28, 2016, 06:59:26 PM »
Congrats on sealing the deal! Now, you upgrade until you die.

I moved on to collect the Wacky Ads, and am still working on the die-cuts.  And, finally, I wound up looking for PSA OS 1-16 stickers.........

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #29 on: September 28, 2016, 08:33:16 PM »
I'm missing Old Grand-mom from the 16th series (well, I have a borderless) and the 3 tough puzzle pieces. I have everything else to make an A, but now I don't rate on that list.

here you go.
luckily Tom copied the key info
and the Search function on this forum paid off!

http://www.wackypackagesforum.com/index.php?topic=1677.msg37028#msg37028

------------------------------------------
A = One complete set of each series, 1 thru 16, with complete puzzles, and including Bandache, RunTony, Bumchex, Chokewagon, Windhex, MessClairoil, Pupsi, and BOTH variations of Spit&Spill, Grime, and Scoot, plus complete VARIATION puzzles for series 4,6,8,10.  Assumes that everything is in-tact & in collectable condition of EX or better.  No borderless or restuck.  Let's not worry about "back variations" or cut variants (Cram), or cloths, though.  Those are special.  ONE set of each series, doesn't matter which backs.  This is the "REAL" 1-16 run.

B = Complete set of 1-16 stickers with ALL variation stickers, but just ONE complete puzzle for each set.  Some people go this route and it should still be counted as a 1-16 run.

C = Complete set of 1-16 stickers AS REPRESENTED ON THE CHECKLISTS THAT GO WITH THEM.  For example, Bandache & RunTony must be present, but BumChex & Choke Wagon can be absent if the 4th series puzzle is the Windhex/Mess variety.  One Spit, Grime, Scoot sticker.  Pupsi's a toss-up, though.  Not sure if that should be in or out.  Hopefully nobody has gone this route, though.  It seems so naked.

NO REISSUE STICKERS, REPRODUCTIONS, DIECUTS/WACKY ADS, RE-STUCKS, BORDERLESS, OBVIOUS WONDERBREADS or UKs, OPCs, etc.  The run has to be authentic and complete to be counted.

Offline Bladerunner

« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2016, 02:29:11 PM »
I moved on to collect the Wacky Ads, and am still working on the die-cuts.  And, finally, I wound up looking for PSA OS 1-16 stickers.........

Yeah, the Wacky Ads are next. I already have about half of them and it's a set that I can afford to complete. The Die-cuts with all the variations is a set that I doubt I could ever complete.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2016, 07:01:04 PM »
Yeah, the Wacky Ads are next. I already have about half of them and it's a set that I can afford to complete. The Die-cuts with all the variations is a set that I doubt I could ever complete.
Including G&E?

I have what I consider a complete die set, but Ratz/Cracked are repros (and prob always will be) and no number variations. I am curious now: Does anyone think I DON'T have a die set due to the repros and no variants?

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2016, 03:30:46 AM »
Including G&E?

I have what I consider a complete die set, but Ratz/Cracked are repros (and prob always will be) and no number variations. I am curious now: Does anyone think I DON'T have a die set due to the repros and no variants?

Certainly a set. Now stop waving that gun around.

Offline Kook

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2016, 06:10:23 AM »
Including G&E?

I declare:

A= Complete diecut set including all 12 number variations (This includes original, authentic Ratz & Cracked)

B= Complete diecut set as numbered with original authentic #32 Ratz & #38 Cracked

C= Complete diecut set as numbered with #32 Weakies & #38 Cracked Jerk (May or may not include Ratz & Cracked Repros)

D= Complete diecut set as numbered except Ratz & Cracked are Repros

* As with the qualification of OS series run, no punched, gumless or otherwise excessively damaged wackys in the collection. I will leave it to define excessively damaged to the individual collector.

So Tom, you have either a C or D set  :great:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 06:27:40 AM by Kook »

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2016, 06:11:54 AM »

Maybe we need a separate "Level" designation description for die cuts. 

I have a punched set of all 44 titles including Ratz and Cracked, which I consider "complete" because it has all the titles.

Maybe that could be the lowest level, and we work our way up, with the top level being unpunched copies of all 44 titles, with the number variations?