Author Topic: Ideas for New Releases  (Read 3274 times)

Offline DrDeal

Ideas for New Releases
« on: February 18, 2015, 03:28:41 AM »
I would like to see the following:

Chrome Binder

Wacky Pack Collectors Club

Chrome 2

Actual Topps Sponsored commentary on what new projects are in the works.

Offline dth1971

Re: Ideas for New Releases
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 06:11:52 AM »
Don't forget the planned for Summer 2015 Wacky Packages 2015 series and maybe Wacky Packages Old School series 6.

Now I wonder what Topps might do with the never released Wacky Packages Star Wars entries...

Offline Swiski

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 09:55:01 AM »
Isn't there someone here with inside info that can give us something to look forward to this year? Even a little hint?

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2015, 11:12:46 AM »
Hopefully there will be an OLDS6. Can people tell me the very best things they liked about each of the past 5 series (not including the base sets)? What could you live without, what inserts did you love, etc. What would make you buy more boxes? Are sketch cards still a motivator? I'd like to gather info to take to Topps.

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2015, 11:17:11 AM »
I was looking on Ebay to buy some Wacky stickers I'm missing from series 1-16 and one guy had 35 pages of wackies. I spent $90 (Approx $115 Canadian) and bought 38 stickers and Swiss Fright was one of them. But I also saw his other stuff and got sick of the glitzy sparkly new ones or old stickers with glitzy bits added. I guess I'm old School and like old products and always have. even as a kid I was fond of the older packaging which was often more ornate...though that can't be said for some of the old Handy Wrap containers I have. Comic books had the habit of not relying on their super hero or writing ability so many old titles started again at number 1, like Superman for example. hoping people would buy it because it was Number one rather than for the content. Or killing someone or marrying someone, But you can only sell #1 once, Marry someone once, though Superman seems to have been married a few times in fictional stories...like the other ones are real)  then it gets silly...like Sergio Arigones Ongoing Joke in Groo 'Let's make this issue a number one'. ...If the wacky isn't funny or drawn nicely, no amount of glitz is going to make it any better. You can go to the shoppers drug mart and buy wrapping paper and cut it to outline the old wacky for all the new glitzy stuff does for me, but that might be just me. I think it's a marketing Gimmick used to sell more of the same old same old.
   By the way comics when they went to a heavy fancy stock paper to be printed on for comics they did a little sneak job I've only recently caught onto. The old comics used to be 32 pages plus the covers, for a total of 36 pages. But the cover and the interior stock are now printed on the same paper. so they no longer include a cover...the comic is 32 pages period. So they have reduced the size of comics yet again when I thought it couldn't be reduced anymore!
  Oh and by the way I'll trade comic books for Series 16 stuff if I have to too. I have some pretty good comics kicking around the place.

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2015, 11:20:32 AM »
You might not be aware but I'm drawing and painting a set of Wackies It's a home made set that has some Canadian products as I'm here in Canada. I've drawn and painted 26 of the 30 so it will be available soon. They will be cards and not stickers as I don't have the bucks or organization to make stickers. I've posted an example if you've missed this picture before

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2015, 05:57:43 PM »
Hopefully there will be an OLDS6. Can people tell me the very best things they liked about each of the past 5 series (not including the base sets)? What could you live without, what inserts did you love, etc. What would make you buy more boxes? Are sketch cards still a motivator? I'd like to gather info to take to Topps.

I think the greatest thing about the Old School series is the quality of the base sets and its fidelity to how things were back in the day.  However, a few specific things I like off the top of my head are
*Most of the inserts (tats, giant cards, baseball subset, wrapper stickers, "rough draft" cards with some history written about the product on the back)
*affordable price (at least compared to other wacky items Topps sells)
*lack of gum (I know that contradicts my statement about the fidelity to the originals, but that is one thing I can do without)
*sketch cards (though the thrill isn't what it was and I would prefer to have sketches be of mostly original series characters.  Also, the quality has seemed to decrease a bit over the successive series)

About the only thing I don't care for is the multitude of different backs.  I'm a completist and would prefer not to have four(!) different groups of incomplete sets.  If various backs must be used, make all but one back much rarer than has been done.  That way, they'll actually really be worth collecting and trading.  As it is now, I just compile a complete set of tans or whites and have three incomplete sets of the other backs.

I truly hope Old School stays alive.  And as much as I love the 70's products, would be fine if the next series jumped into the 80's (or at least the one after the next).

Offline Slaytex99

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2015, 12:58:47 PM »

OLDS5 - too many brown toned stickers - bad

baseball subset - great

gags overall - clever and funny (no excess poop jokes) - great

tan backs and thin card stock - great

art overall - great

no rainbow borders variations - great

lots of green faces with big red noses - great

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2015, 05:25:51 PM »

My favorite OLDs item was the wrapper subest. That was very cool. How about an insert set of postcards that have box art on them? Maybe 3 per box. That would spur some box sales. Also, how about Altered Art variant cards? They were great in ANS and in chrome.

Andrew

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 04:55:49 AM »

I would be very disappointed were there no Old School 6.  I was just killing OLDS1 and OLDS2 packs to build sets for a forum friend, and took the opportunity to re-appreciate those sets while pondering how to best respond to your question.  Those sets were wonderful just in their simplicity, not to mention the awesome gags and art.  Open a box, get two sets of stickers, and maybe need to trade puzzle pieces for two complete puzzles  The back variations in the later sets aren't so appealing to me, although I will say that I prefer white or ludlows to tan for stickers.  The ludlows really don't seem "Old School" anymore since they're also used in ANS.  However, I do like the die-cuts.  The tattoos were a neat addition, while still feeling sort of Old School.

As for how many boxes I buy, that number has gone down considerably since OLDS1, when I bought something like 50 boxes.  Sketches then were all nice quality, and still a novelty.  Plus, there were those rare 50 color sketches to hunt for, or a rare B&W title to complete a "set."  I wish Topps had left sketches for postcards and Old School - adding so many more to the ANS series has made them too easily available, and watered down the quality.  As a result, I am now no longer likely to buy more boxes just because of sketches.  I bought just 9 boxes for OLDS5; part of that was figuring out all the back variations and how many sets could be built out of a certain number of boxes, and realizing that I would NOT get enough puzzles to go with all the sets.  I don't like selling my extra sets without the puzzle.........

What did come back to me was how much I liked the 5x7 stickers.  Not so much OLDS2, but the OLDS1 large stickers were awesome!  Put 3 in a box again and do all 33 titles in a set, and I'll go back up to at least 11 boxes.

I'm still thinking on this, and might have more to add, but am hoping that feedback now might help with the possibility of OLDS6 happening.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 05:34:46 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Swiski

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2015, 07:18:16 AM »
There is a new Star Wars premium card set called Masterwork. These are so expensive, I can only afford a base set which I got at the bargain price of $79 shipped! A sealed mini box of 5 cards is around $50!

I wonder if Topps will ever go "high-end" like this for Wacky Packages!