Author Topic: Wacky Packages Postcard 6 WAITING LIST  (Read 43781 times)

Offline crackedjerk

Re: Wacky Packages Postcard 6 WAITING LIST
« Reply #140 on: August 08, 2010, 02:20:52 PM »
My question here is if people are mad at this guy for selling multiple sets on Ebay are they also mad at sketch collectors since those people would in affect be "hoarding" and taking away sketches that other collectors may not have a chance to get?  Since the series is soooooo limited buying any more than the one set and sketch for yourself is essentially taking away a sketch from someone else who will never get one (or have to pay a premium for it down the road). It's a slippery slope to get too mad at this guy for what he is doing because technically if you get more than one set you are stopping another person from getting it. I think this series is too small. It needs an additional 150-250 sets (IMHO).

As a long-time Wacky collector and, like most, very much a completist, I was "mad" (not quite the right term) that the completists were "hoarding" LE sets as it prevented me from getting a LE series 6 set.  However, I also don't blame them as I fully understand the desire to complete a "set" (though, as has been debated before, whether what they are collecting is really a set is unclear).  As you state at the end of this post, I do wish Topps made more sets.  I want to own each LE set, not because it's limited to only 300, but because I like the sets.  I don't care if Topps makes 1000 (or more), I'm still going to want it as much as if Topps only made 100.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2010, 03:04:40 PM »
As a long-time Wacky collector and, like most, very much a completist, I was "mad" (not quite the right term) that the completists were "hoarding" LE sets as it prevented me from getting a LE series 6 set.  However, I also don't blame them as I fully understand the desire to complete a "set" (though, as has been debated before, whether what they are collecting is really a set is unclear).  As you state at the end of this post, I do wish Topps made more sets.  I want to own each LE set, not because it's limited to only 300, but because I like the sets.  I don't care if Topps makes 1000 (or more), I'm still going to want it as much as if Topps only made 100.

Same here, All you really want is ONE of anything that is officially put out. It would be strange that other collectors can literally prevent this from happening when a very limited amount is made but Topps allows up to 3 sets to be bought. it's to be expected that the limited sketch cards are a MAJOR draw to this.

Choke-Wagon

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Scruples over $15 profit? I think you are the one that lost out on this deal. So when did scruples come into play with any deals you have done in the past?
I believe at the time, only series 1, 2 and 3 were out and series 2 and 3 sketches weren't fetching much and there are only twice as many series 3 as there is series 1.  Add this to the fact that everyone was just generally pissed at Cardgary for being a hog and the decision to buy from him wasn't as obvious as you make it seem.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #143 on: August 08, 2010, 03:52:18 PM »
I am bummed now that I did not buy one from him for $75. Now there is no way to get one for less than double that (or more). It's the only LE set I don't have. I wasn't that interested in the postcard sets at first, then they grew on me. Now they are "must haves".
Only three bidders bid much over $150 and the theory is that Cardgary is still sitting on a bunch of these so maybe there is hope.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline bandaches

« Reply #144 on: August 08, 2010, 03:55:35 PM »
It's funny how things change over time.  i remember when everyone thought he was nuts to buy all of those sets.  I know a lot of people were pissed, especially John F (is he on this board anymore?)  And lots of people boycotted the sales and said he would lose his shirt on these.  After sitting on them for a couple of years and then starting to sell them when a lot of people had all of the other series stuff but his one, he is making a killing.  I'm not saying I would do that, but gary is not a collector per se, he is in it to make money.  It looks like he guessed right on these after all.
yes, you painted the EXACT picture that we all had when Gary was selling so it isn't realistic to be killing any of us for not jumping immediately at his $50 per sketch price.  Didn't he list consecutively numbered sketch set for $300 and not sell it?

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #145 on: August 08, 2010, 03:56:06 PM »
I'd assume most "completists" would dislike (to some degree) the whole idea of LE sketch cards. Although I’ve always assumed collectors buy LE PC sets to get sketch cards, I’ve come to the conclusion that some collectors put significant stock in the LE postcard back and find them to be significantly more desirable than the “regular” titles, but am still a bit unsure. I assume most collectors who are purchasing multiple LE PC sets are primarily doing so to obtain multiple sketch cards. When you say, I want to own each LE set, not because it's limited to only 300, but because I like the sets, are you saying that owning a PC set with LE backs is significantly more important to you than owning a “regular” set of postcards? I don’t mean to be an ass – just have been wondering about this, after reading some posts.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #146 on: August 08, 2010, 03:58:55 PM »
You are right. I didn't condone what he did by buying a bunch of the first series sets. Now I am not sure how many he actually bought. I got the other 2 sketches from him a year ago or so and John F was pissed that I would give this guy any money. I paid way more then $50 or $75 that Ern and Duznt claimed but I got them none the less. You guys can talk about morals and scruples all you want but if you are a collector then all you want is the cards. What does it matter now? So the guy bought a lot of the first release. He was taking a huge chance himself. These could have turned out to be nothing and he would be sitting on a pile of crap. It worked out that these are highly sought after since they were the first. If he had so many, as people have pointed out, why haven't they surfaced until now with his latest auction? Well, because, there is only 100 sets total! He doesn't have as many as people think. The last auction went for $209. I still think at that price it's a steal. There are only 100 sets made. These sets should be going for a lot more because of scarcity and the popularity of the new postcard sets. I would have thought his set would sell for around $300 or more. I have all 3 sketches and postcards from the 1st series and I won't let them go this cheap. Why should I, I have one of 33 sets available. I wonder how many collectors have a set?
The market has not dictated that sketches produced in quantities of 30-40 sell for over $200.  Are you a buyer of all sketches at $200 each?  There are only 66 complete sets of series 3 and they are hard to give away....

Offline bandaches

« Reply #147 on: August 08, 2010, 04:00:26 PM »
I volunteer for "Mailing Management Coordinator".  I will make sure the next series doesn't get LOST in the mail!!!  LOL
I'll volunteer for bloodhound to try to sniff out the folks trying to abuse the buying system.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #148 on: August 08, 2010, 04:38:08 PM »
Same here, All you really want is ONE of anything that is officially put out. It would be strange that other collectors can literally prevent this from happening when a very limited amount is made but Topps allows up to 3 sets to be bought. it's to be expected that the limited sketch cards are a MAJOR draw to this.

Choke-Wagon

If all you are looking for is one limited set there are and have been plenty available to collectors, even at the limited quantities.  If you limit is the retail price than all bets are off, but if you can spend $100.00 there are plenty of full sets available to collectors.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #149 on: August 08, 2010, 04:43:07 PM »
I'd assume most "completists" would dislike (to some degree) the whole idea of LE sketch cards. Although I’ve always assumed collectors buy LE PC sets to get sketch cards, I’ve come to the conclusion that some collectors put significant stock in the LE postcard back and find them to be significantly more desirable than the “regular” titles, but am still a bit unsure. I assume most collectors who are purchasing multiple LE PC sets are primarily doing so to obtain multiple sketch cards. When you say, I want to own each LE set, not because it's limited to only 300, but because I like the sets, are you saying that owning a PC set with LE backs is significantly more important to you than owning a “regular” set of postcards? I don’t mean to be an ass – just have been wondering about this, after reading some posts.

To me the term "completist" means to set collecting parameters and then try to get them all, so for a true completist whether or not the back of the postcards say "limited" or "regular" is irrelevant, because you need them both to complete your goal.  If you are talking about a NON-completist than what's on the back may be important to someone looking for the rarer version, but there will also be some who just want the cards for the art and the regular versions are just fine.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #150 on: August 08, 2010, 04:44:00 PM »
I'll volunteer for bloodhound to try to sniff out the folks trying to abuse the buying system.

I can't think of anyone better for the job!  You should have been an attorney.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #151 on: August 08, 2010, 04:57:28 PM »
When you say, I want to own each LE set, not because it's limited to only 300, but because I like the sets, are you saying that owning a PC set with LE backs is significantly more important to you than owning a “regular” set of postcards? I don’t mean to be an ass – just have been wondering about this, after reading some posts.

No, you're not being an ass; that's a great question and I can see how I wrote it makes it vague as to what I intended.  I meant to say I want one LE set so that I can have a sketch card and the bonus card from the set.  As for postcard backs, I couldn't care less.  In fact, it sort of annoys me that I end up having two of what I consider to be identical sets (one LE postcard set of 5 postcards and one regular set of 5 postcards with only some writing on the back differentiating them).  I get it that others may like to have both sets of postcards (the postcards themselves, back differences notwithstanding), but to me a second set is superfluous.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #152 on: August 08, 2010, 06:06:23 PM »
I can't think of anyone better for the job!  You should have been an attorney.
LOL, no joke, I have had two law firms suggest that if I were to switch careers, they would help me through law school. 

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #153 on: August 08, 2010, 07:22:21 PM »
LOL, no joke, I have had two law firms suggest that if I were to switch careers, they would help me through law school. 
I for one will patiently wait till you pass the BAR,then I will fire my lawyer.
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline bandaches

« Reply #154 on: August 08, 2010, 07:53:36 PM »
I for one will patiently wait till you pass the BAR,then I will fire my lawyer.
LOL, might be a long wait as I have no plans to pursue this  :)

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #155 on: August 09, 2010, 07:10:11 AM »
yes, you painted the EXACT picture that we all had when Gary was selling so it isn't realistic to be killing any of us for not jumping immediately at his $50 per sketch price.  Didn't he list consecutively numbered sketch set for $300 and not sell it?
It was something like that.  He went way off the deep end right away with his prices, and that really turned a lot of people off.  Seems like time has amped down that fury, and people want to have one from all of the series.  He seems to still have a bunch of them, so he is the guy to turn to if you want one.  I used to trade/sell stuff to him and with him quite often many years ago, but it has been a long time.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #156 on: August 09, 2010, 09:00:31 PM »
Well, I couldn't read all 300 pages of debate... so I'm diving right back into the main topic:

(1) Thank you, Neil, for the time and effort in handling the waiting list. I never thought I'd get the email (I came rather late to the party), but did!! Sweet!! First time I was able to actually buy a LE Postcard set, and yes, I only bought ONE set. I figured it was the honorable thing to do, and if others before me hadn't (thanks to all of you who bought just one), then I wouldn't have been able to get mine. So I passed on the love to whomever is next.

(2) My two cents: seems like the purchase limit should be 3 sets, or even 2. 5 is probably too easy to circumvent, but again there are pros and cons (as apparently has been gone over the previous 300 pages of debate). Maybe Topps could have an "initial private offering" of one set per order for people off this forum? Of course that could be circumvented too, but limiting to one in that way at first could be an option?

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #157 on: August 10, 2010, 05:34:15 PM »
Glad to hear you were able to get a set!

As mentioned in previous posts, we're definitely trying to find an equitable solution to the limited availability of sets, especially for forum members but how that will look is still to be decided. Eventually, we'll get it figured out!

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #158 on: August 10, 2010, 07:16:14 PM »
Thanks Neil- One for me too, share with those who needed a set as well. Just got it today and well worth the wait. I was sick and traveling when these came out and was lucky for some second offering.

I will say the the gags are AMAZING and I really have to say well produced. I hope I don't have to encounter another 2 hour sellout for Postcard 7. Cause you know that is ALREADY in the works at some point in the not to distant future. 2010 is shaping up to be a superb year for WACKYS. What a great time to still be in this hobby.

Choke_Wagon

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #159 on: August 10, 2010, 08:41:12 PM »
No, you're not being an ass; that's a great question and I can see how I wrote it makes it vague as to what I intended.  I meant to say I want one LE set so that I can have a sketch card and the bonus card from the set.  As for postcard backs, I couldn't care less.  In fact, it sort of annoys me that I end up having two of what I consider to be identical sets (one LE postcard set of 5 postcards and one regular set of 5 postcards with only some writing on the back differentiating them).  I get it that others may like to have both sets of postcards (the postcards themselves, back differences notwithstanding), but to me a second set is superfluous.
I’m curious about LE buying strategies. I assume many people are buying multiple LE sets to get a selection of sketch cards, and then to sell off (or trade) less desirable titles for titles they want. My question is, how big is the market for the LE sets without the sketches? Or, does the demand for the bonus card and bio sets make that a non-issue? If many people are selling the items together (postcards with the bio sets and bonus card) then I guess it’s not an issue. Has anyone bought more LE sets than they can get rid of (at “reasonable” prices), at this point? (I guess I shouldn’t expect someone who bought 5 LE sets and had their neighbor buy 5 for them to come forward, hun?) I don’t watch eBay, so I don’t know how people are selling their extra stuff, so I’m a bit clueless. I assume most are not parting it out? I spent the extra money and purchased a LE PC 6 set in order to get a sketch. I ordered a LE PC 6 set and a regular PC 5 set. Topps got my order wrong and sent me a LE PC 6 and a regular PC 6 set.  They quickly corrected their mistake and sent me the PC 5 set, so now I have one regular PC 6 set and a LE 6 set. Like you, I care about the fronts, not the backs, and was wondering if they are more desirable to some collectors than the regular backs. Your post implies there is a demand... I guess there is some demand for everything, hun?!  As much as I like them, I don’t need 2 sets and could part with the LE’s, although I must admit, that proposal seems like an act of sacrilege, considering the audience - to "give up" my only LE set.     ^-^   

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #160 on: August 10, 2010, 09:27:38 PM »
LE Sets with the numbered outer envelope matching the sketch card make it a desirable package to me. If I see the sketch card without the envelope that matches the card. I would feel a bit incomplete becuase they were designed to go together as a set 1-300

Choke_Wagon

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #161 on: August 10, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »
I’m curious about LE buying strategies. I assume many people are buying multiple LE sets to get a selection of sketch cards, and then to sell off (or trade) less desirable titles for titles they want. My question is, how big is the market for the LE sets without the sketches? Or, does the demand for the bonus card and bio sets make that a non-issue? If many people are selling the items together (postcards with the bio sets and bonus card) then I guess it’s not an issue. Has anyone bought more LE sets than they can get rid of (at “reasonable” prices), at this point? (I guess I shouldn’t expect someone who bought 5 LE sets and had their neighbor buy 5 for them to come forward, hun?) I don’t watch eBay, so I don’t know how people are selling their extra stuff, so I’m a bit clueless. I assume most are not parting it out? I spent the extra money and purchased a LE PC 6 set in order to get a sketch. I ordered a LE PC 6 set and a regular PC 5 set. Topps got my order wrong and sent me a LE PC 6 and a regular PC 6 set.  They quickly corrected their mistake and sent me the PC 5 set, so now I have one regular PC 6 set and a LE 6 set. Like you, I care about the fronts, not the backs, and was wondering if they are more desirable to some collectors than the regular backs. Your post implies there is a demand... I guess there is some demand for everything, hun?!  As much as I like them, I don’t need 2 sets and could part with the LE’s, although I must admit, that proposal seems like an act of sacrilege, considering the audience - to "give up" my only LE set.     ^-^   

You have a lot here so I only read your first 2 sentences  ;)
The sketch cards are what people want.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #162 on: August 10, 2010, 10:46:39 PM »
For me it's all about the bonus cards. Once I started collecting the bonus cards for the ANS series last year I had to get them all and really enjoyed the process. Several of them have some of the best art/gags imo and the fact that they are more rare is just icing on the cake for me.

When I finally figured out what was going on with the postcard sets, the same thing happened. Took me a while to get a couple Grave Nuts and a lot longer to get a Hoppy Meal -- and while I was chasing the Hoppy Meal they were hitting really high prices over $100! I got one for $68 and one for $48, so I'm happy (or is it Hoppy?). Even my wife likes these. I picked up the LE card sets (where applicable) and have been trying now to get one sketch for each set (slowly but surely).

So I'm an anomaly with the sketch cards. I'd take the bonus cards (like the Philly card -- a new fave) over the sketch cards if I had a straight choice and they were the same price.

But I must admit I am very curious with this LE 6 set to see what sketch card appears. Ha! Perhaps I'm slowly getting hooked?  :o

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #163 on: August 11, 2010, 09:57:27 AM »
For me it's all about the bonus cards.

I too really like the bonus cards, and am glad they are included with the postcard sets. At first I was a little put off that you had to buy both a regular and LE sets to get the different cards. But lately I have been giving my extra regular postcard set to a co-worker's son, so it works out well. He loves 'em! So that is another thing we can do with our extra postcards - although actually using them as a "postcard" and mailing them is another thought  ^-^

One thing though, I wish the bonus cards were actually stickers. I realize they are trying to keep the cost down, but it just seems kinda odd that something that looks like it should be a sticker, is not.

and while I was chasing the Hoppy Meal they were hitting really high prices over $100! I got one for $68 and one for $48, so I'm happy (or is it Hoppy?).

:]

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2010, 03:17:48 PM »
One thing though, I wish the bonus cards were actually stickers. I realize they are trying to keep the cost down, but it just seems kinda odd that something that looks like it should be a sticker, is not.

:]

I think that, in the interests of keeping costs down, leaving the bonus card as a card is fine.  However, I liked the Mutty Bars bonus card so much I would gladly have paid extra to make that a sticker.  Of course, that's not feasible and I understand that.  Hmm...maybe LTL will offer that as a wall clingy.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #165 on: August 12, 2010, 08:16:44 AM »

In my experience and someone who tries to collect one per title, the limited postcards without the sketch don't sell well at all, but the bio-sets and bonus cards will sell fairly well. The sketch cards however seem to be the major draw.

anything