Author Topic: Topps Wacky Packages Postcards Series 6  (Read 64072 times)

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
Re: Topps Wacky Packages Postcards Series 6
« Reply #70 on: July 02, 2010, 04:53:05 PM »
ok, you're on the list!

By the way, anyone who wants on the list, please include your email address so that topps can contact you should a set become available.

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #71 on: July 02, 2010, 06:04:15 PM »
Sold out?! What the ???! I hardly had time to review the ad on shoptopps.com

Anyway, while I'm thrilled about the news, I'm not surpised - just disappointed that not everyone here was able to get a set. So, here's a suggestion: to anyone who may have missed out on the Wacky Postcards Series 6 Limited Edition, send me a PM and I'll start a waiting list (first come, first serve), which I'll send to the Topps Vault on Monday morning (July 5th). Hopefully, they'll be able to help out a few forum members! There's always the occasional returns, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

How long did it take to sell out this time?

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #72 on: July 02, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
How long did it take to sell out this time?

I think it was about 3 hours

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #73 on: July 02, 2010, 07:11:57 PM »
It was about 2 actually 12:10 - 2:15 Central time
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline eman

• Erik Bowen (aka eman)
« Reply #74 on: July 02, 2010, 07:36:29 PM »

Man, that was quick.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2010, 07:43:32 PM »
I do'nt think so...I called and was going to get "Mark" (Plan9) a set but Mike said "That was it" :'( :-[ :(
Wow thanks bud! That's cool that you would've done that. As it turns out Sunstroke hooked me up so...we good. I never should have worried about it, knowing there's so many cool and generous forum members to help us all out.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2010, 07:44:31 PM »
Shit Mark,I would've ordered you a set when I put in my order for another forum member who was busy and unable to get online when they went up for sale.
It's cool though. Thanks man!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »

I know that was fast but I also hope Topps doesn't decide to do 500 and then 1000 sets after this. People want them because of the limited nature of the set. I just love the sketch cards! :D

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2010, 06:11:25 AM »
Hi Brad,

Up to this point, I've made certain that the postcard sets don't become a mass market item. When I originally went to topps with the idea, the first thing I emphasised was that the postcards should be for hobbyists/collectors. Too often, the term "limited edition" is slapped on a product and then thousands (or millions!) of pieces are produced. To me, that just waters down the value. Anyway, I want to make sure the Limited Edition postcards stay collectible. We've discussed bigger production numbers, but so far, I've managed to keep it to a maximum of 300. To me, that's the ceiling for "limited edition". And since the totals are so small, I always try to get forum members the first notice when they're released.

Anyway, I can't guarantee what the future holds, but I feel comfortable with the way we've progressed, so far!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 06:14:20 AM by koduck »

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2010, 06:34:31 AM »
Hi Brad,

Up to this point, I've made certain that the postcard sets don't become a mass market item. When I first went to topps with the idea, the one thing I emphasised was that the postcards should be for hobbyists/collectors. Too often, the term "limited edition" is slapped on a product and then thousands (or millions!) of pieces are produced. To me, that just waters down the value. Anyway, I want to make sure the Limited Edition postcards stay collectible. We've discussed bigger production numbers, but so far, I've managed to keep it to a maximum of 300. To me, that's the ceiling for "limited edition". And since the totals are so small, I always try to get forum members the first notice when they're released.

Anyway, I can't guarantee what the future holds, but I feel comfortable with the way we've progressed, so far!

I think you've done a wonderful job coordinating the postcard sets. They have become one of my favorite Wacky issues.

My only concern is seeing fellow forum members/collectors getting left out, which seems to be a function of many people buying multiple sets.

If Topps wants to try to address this, one way would be to go back to 3 postcards in a set, like the first three sets. If there were only 3 postcards, and more importantly, sketch cards per set, the completists among us would not be compelled to purchase 5 (or more) sets to try to get one of each of the sketch cards. Topps could then limit the number of sets each person could purchase to 3. Thus, with 300 total sets, a minimum of 100 collectors would get a crack at buying a set (as opposed to a minimum of 60 under the current system). Topps could even increase the frequency of the releases and still maintain the same relative total number of postcards.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2010, 06:56:30 AM »
If anyone cares to split hairs (it can be fun), we might be able to estimate how many sales were made yesterday during the two hours. Although 60 people could have bought their limit of five LE sets, surely many people bought less (like me, I got one). So, we’d expect to see 100-250 invoices during the two hours, at least, right? Just a guess of course – playing Columbo… During the two hours, we can probably assume 95% of the sales from Topps site was of the WP LE postcard set. At 10:18 PST, I received my invoice #28955 in my inbox. It might be interesting to see who amongst us has the highest and lowest invoice numbers to get an idea how many invoices were issued during the two hours.

Or maybe everyone is busy mowing their lawn, which is fine.

I got carried away yesterday at the Topps Store and ended up spending $64.
I don't make it there much and felt like I was high on crack as I clicked around the site...

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #81 on: July 03, 2010, 07:14:21 AM »
I had - Invoice No. 28953 received at 12:17 CST

Not much of a range thus far.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #82 on: July 03, 2010, 07:27:06 AM »
Hi Pat,

Here's how Series 6 breaks down:

Postcard 1: "Game of Life" parody. Writer: Paul Harris. Illustrator: Matthew Kirscht.
Postcard 2: "Rolling Rock" parody. Writer/Illustrator: Brent Engstrom.
Postcard 3: "Captain Morgan" parody. Writer/Illustrator: Smokin' Joe.
Postcard 4: "Marlboro" parody. Writer: Mark Parisi. Illustrator: Neil Camera.
Postcard 5: "Alpha Bits" parody. Writer. Paul Harris. Illustrator: John Zeleznik.

Bonus Cards:
TS8 - Regular Edition - "V8 juice" parody. Writer: Mike Dantzer. Illustrator: Matthew Kirscht.
TS9 - Limited Edition - "Philly Blunts" parody. Writer/Illustrator: Smokin' Joe.

ENJOY!!!!

Glad to see they're still letting you do at least 1 title Neil!   :]
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #83 on: July 03, 2010, 07:28:07 AM »
Neil's generosity is what lets the rest of us do some!
Looking for Saunders Art cards: Especially Wackies, Frankenstein stickers, Mars Attacks & Battle

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #84 on: July 03, 2010, 07:28:25 AM »
Oh, and invoice #28943 at 12:10 CST
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 07:30:02 AM by Sunstroke »

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #85 on: July 03, 2010, 07:33:23 AM »
Neil's generosity is what lets the rest of us do some!

I know, it's cool having the variety of artists do them.  Each artist has his own unique style which makes all of the sketch cards unique and interesting.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #86 on: July 03, 2010, 07:43:04 AM »
Oh, and invoice #28943 at 12:10 CST
Given your estimate of sales going from 12:10 - 2:15 Central time, the series of invoices for the 2 hours likely starts very near that number.
If anyone purchased at the very last moment - at the end of the 2 hours - post your invoice number, if you can.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #87 on: July 03, 2010, 09:33:12 AM »
Leslie emailed me at 1PM MST to tell me she bought 5 sets and she said they were sold out after she bought them.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #88 on: July 03, 2010, 10:08:03 AM »
Invoice No. 28951 at 1:16PM EST (about 6 minutes after they went on sale).
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #89 on: July 03, 2010, 11:00:25 AM »
Here is the break down of my 60 sketch cards

• 26 Lice
• 20 H8
• 5 B&W Combo
• 2 Lice that are based on vintage Wackies
• 7 color, 2 or 3 were combos

now of course there are tons of variations in each group, but that is the basic list.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:07:09 PM by Sunstroke »

Offline Kook

« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2010, 05:33:37 AM »

• 26 Lice
• 20 H8
• 5 B&W Combo

now of course there are tons of variations in each group, but that is the basic list.
Those are a lot of variations & sound interesting. Did you happen to scan them? 

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2010, 07:02:21 AM »
No, I didn't scan them, I always forget to. :'(

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2010, 07:37:39 AM »

• 26 Lice
• 20 H8
• 5 B&W Combo

On one hand I want to say "cool"!……but on the other hand I am frustrated that this series gets more complicated and tougher to get one per title with each new series.  So now we have a minimum of at least 9 variations and that's not including color ones.  With a limit of only 5 per customer someone can just shoot me dead now please!!!

This is not dumping on you Matt.  I'm sure you did a terrific job with your sketches, and maybe I'll be able to get one of each afterall.  Right now though the task looks rather daunting for the completists out there!

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2010, 08:20:29 AM »
On one hand I want to say "cool"!……but on the other hand I am frustrated that this series gets more complicated and tougher to get one per title with each new series.  So now we have a minimum of at least 9 variations and that's not including color ones.  With a limit of only 5 per customer someone can just shoot me dead now please!!!

This is not dumping on you Matt.  I'm sure you did a terrific job with your sketches, and maybe I'll be able to get one of each afterall.  Right now though the task looks rather daunting for the completists out there!
I think we are going to have to just live with "complete" being one per artist.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2010, 08:25:07 AM »
I think we are going to have to just live with "complete" being one per artist.

Maybe, an adjustment in my parameters may be required.  I'm ok not going after the colored ones but I really think the combos are cool. 

Maybe I'll just keep my parameters the same and just add whatever I can't get my hands on to my "need list" like I do with the vintage ones I still need.  It's just hard to be able to keep up with all of the post-2004 sets, only to have to admit defeat now. 

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2010, 08:40:02 AM »
Well for me I just can't do the same thing again & again, there is no way I can repeat the same image that many times, so I have to do variations. I understand some people want one example of every variation, but I am sure most people are happy with an example by an artist. I remember we did a poll last time & the overwhelming vote was to let the artist do whatever comes naturally as opposed to the same sketch.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2010, 09:24:30 AM »
Well for me I just can't do the same thing again & again, there is no way I can repeat the same image that many times, so I have to do variations. I understand some people want one example of every variation, but I am sure most people are happy with an example by an artist. I remember we did a poll last time & the overwhelming vote was to let the artist do whatever comes naturally as opposed to the same sketch.
I really enjoy the variations within the specific title, like the Kleptos and Wanders last time.  But the distinct titles are a different thing, to me, anyway.

Offline Sunstroke

• My Website
« Reply #97 on: July 04, 2010, 10:46:23 AM »
I can see that for sure

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #98 on: July 04, 2010, 10:59:13 AM »

I know it can be frustrating as a collector but on the other hand it's fantastic that the artists have done so many cool sketches. They are all unique! I think people have to change their prospective on collecting. Times are changing and you can't think of collecting to get a set because there isn't really a set of sketches to collect. I agree with Ern and that you collect sketches by artist. Wait til they hit Ebay to get the ones you want.

Offline Kook

« Reply #99 on: July 04, 2010, 01:18:22 PM »
No, I didn't scan them, I always forget to. :'(
Since it does seem to be getting harder & harder to define a set &/or even get an example from each artist, I think it would be very cool if topps did scan all the sketchcards & post them on the web, or even make them available in a mini-portfolio, a 9-up booklet of pages so we could get a chance to see some variations, pick our favorites etc... It could be similar in theory to the sketch poster. I think this type of collectible would ease the sting of the limited edition & there are only 300 sketches.

How do others feel about getting a 20 page/40 side booklet letting everyone see the sketches out there? Pictures of the postcards & bonus cards, bio info etc... could be included. A booklet/catalog could be made for each series.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2010, 04:46:56 PM »
I really enjoy the variations within the specific title, like the Kleptos and Wanders last time.  But the distinct titles are a different thing, to me, anyway.

That's the exact same way I look at it.  Even though the Kleptos were all different I only classify that as one title, because they were all based on the Klepto title.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #101 on: July 04, 2010, 04:50:07 PM »
Since it does seem to be getting harder & harder to define a set &/or even get an example from each artist, I think it would be very cool if topps did scan all the sketchcards & post them on the web, or even make them available in a mini-portfolio, a 9-up booklet of pages so we could get a chance to see some variations, pick our favorites etc... It could be similar in theory to the sketch poster. I think this type of collectible would ease the sting of the limited edition & there are only 300 sketches.

How do others feel about getting a 20 page/40 side booklet letting everyone see the sketches out there? Pictures of the postcards & bonus cards, bio info etc... could be included. A booklet/catalog could be made for each series.

The problem with that idea is that six series are done and Topps apparently didn't scan any of them.  I think they would have had to start that idea with series 1. 

Offline Kook

« Reply #102 on: July 04, 2010, 06:30:03 PM »
The problem with that idea is that six series are done and Topps apparently didn't scan any of them.  I think they would have had to start that idea with series 1. 
Can't hurt to start sometime. I agree that I would love to have them for the 1st 6 series, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want it for the 7th.

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #103 on: July 04, 2010, 06:45:43 PM »
At one point, I considered scanning all the sketch cards, but in the end, I decided that these are one-of-a-kind sketches and if the owners wanted to share them, that's their prerogative.

The other issue that I see is that while there's plenty of unique images, there's plenty of "repeats" (especially in series 1 through 3) which are based off a single image and I doubt anyone wants to look at the same thing 100 times!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #104 on: July 04, 2010, 07:34:46 PM »
Can't hurt to start sometime. I agree that I would love to have them for the 1st 6 series, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't want it for the 7th.

I like aspects of this idea. I will ask about doing something like this for OLDS2 especially if they don't plan on having another poster.