Author Topic: Favorite Old School Wacky?  (Read 46256 times)

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Favorite Old School Wacky?
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2010, 05:20:11 AM »
I own Spaghetto's. I will do something with it eventually in terms of printing it. LTL...hmmm.

BTW, I will email Kendall to let him know there are two forums and he may want to get his company info on here as well.
I'm glad to hear it's yours, and will eventually be used.  And, since Jay has some of his art on LTL, it seemed to me that you could do the same, as long as Topps didn't own it.  I'd go for a 2 foot Spaghetto's!

Hopefully Kendall will come here with new LTL info.  I still don't even know if there's a March code.

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2010, 11:20:02 AM »
Dave - Sue Mee is stellar! I'd say one of your best. A great one for the wacky gals ;) The ladies of wackys did well in OLDS1. You mentioned to me to be on the lookout for them, so I was looking forward to seeing how you used them. I know how much grief you’ve taken from me on wacky girls in the past :) But it's all good! Seems like the favorites are the two with gals on 'em....

GYHSH! - We have Donna Pescow revising her hair doo from "Saturday Night Fever" on Gee Your Hair Smells Horrific. Seems like the favorite of OLDS so far. I gotta say it is hilarious how you drew the character as a normal model, looking and thinking everything is ok – but unbeknownst to her, her hair smells horrific! And it’s stinking up the hair of the two guys next to her! Haha. At least that’s how I interpret it. Very funny. What the hell kind of brand name was that anyway? It was so out there...We used to call it Gee Your Hair Smells Like Shit.

Borateen – Great that the wacky girl is actually doing something – she is bored! Her arms look a little rubbery, but maybe that’s what happens when you get bored. Very funny gag.

My other favs are:
Fruit Stripped Gum – The zebra loosing his stripes – didn’t they do that in the tv commercials in the 70’s or 80’s? Anyway, I like this wacky. Huge product recognition. Like how you kept it simple.

Funny Taste – Great looking wacky. Huge product recognition. Great detail on the liquid in the glass.

Jim Mean – Best booze wacky for me. I’m not very familiar with the two beer brands used. Heard of them but no one I know drank them. Great detail on the bottle.

Kookle – Huge product recognition. Used to eat this stuff and remember the commercial “Peanutty Koogle with the Koo Koo Koogley eyes! Shebat Bat Wow!”

Odor Pops – I had totally forgotten about Otter Pops until I saw this wacky. I like it for jogging my memory. Plus, huge product recognition.

Qreep – I’ve already posted my support for this one here – a couple of times. Quisp is my first cereal memory. Pretty much seals the deal. Like how you incorporated other cereal characters.

Slopee – Huge product recognition. I drank my fair share of 7-11 slurpees, that’s for sure!!! Like how the character is drinking a slopee himself.

Peace out. BBG

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2010, 02:24:03 PM »
I'm glad to hear it's yours, and will eventually be used.  And, since Jay has some of his art on LTL, it seemed to me that you could do the same, as long as Topps didn't own it.  I'd go for a 2 foot Spaghetto's!

Hopefully Kendall will come here with new LTL info.  I still don't even know if there's a March code.

I sent Kendall an email this morning. I wonder if Greg got to him first since he hasn't replied to me yet. These promo's are Greg's idea and Greg is supplying LTL with the image. I may call Kendall and see what is up.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2010, 03:01:19 PM »
Kendall runs a business so I don't see why he would not want to advertise on this site as well. he probably has not seen or had a chance to reply yet. I'm emailed him a few times and he responded the next day both times.

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2010, 07:42:49 PM »
I think this is my favorite title of old school even though it is for series two.  It is truly a beautiful piece of art.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 07:45:29 PM by HeadAndBoulders »

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2010, 07:48:16 PM »
Yes if that was considered part of "Old School" S1 I would have to say it may be my favorite, definitly in my top 3.
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Plastered Peanut

« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 06:22:09 PM »
There's no contest - it's Project 19. Insanely great, gotta get that to stick on my wall!
That definitely falls in my Top 10....I just voted...thought it might get difficult but it was a breeze...I went down the list and came up with 9, and then added the one I thought might be pushing me over 10.....
Send me your borderless wackys!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 05:15:37 PM »
15th Avenue

The guy has a tattoo on his arm for his gal Candy.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2010, 05:16:42 PM »
Bacteria is the very first Wacky gag I made on my own way back in the 90s. I did a computer drawn homemade. Then when trying out for Topps I did an updated painted one which ended up (badly stretched) in Lost Wackys 1. The gag finally made it as a real Wacky but in an old time bottle. I like seeing all three now as the first two look so god awful now.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2010, 05:17:33 PM »
Barbasoil:
A product that has not changed it's packaging at all since the 70s. The guys nose is funny as it can actually be viewed two ways. It was painted to be seen upturned but also looks like a regular nose going down. There is one roly-poly bug in the beard as well.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2010, 05:18:51 PM »
Bark:
Bark features my late dog Rascal. My other (late) dog Rei was on Alpoor.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2010, 05:19:54 PM »
Batz: Can't think of any story on this one. I bought a real Blatz can on Ebay to work from.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2010, 05:21:06 PM »
BC Cola: This one got selected for the promo card as RC is just so 70s iconic. I had a great gag that I dropped as I did not want to overcrowd the piece: Carbondated Cola

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2010, 05:22:33 PM »
Blam-O: The word frisbee had to be changed to frisbie to avoid copyright issues. This one was a lot of fun to do. I got a Wham-O frisbee on Ebay for the model. I wanted to do a Norm style fuse. This one has my favorite line in the series (The thrower line) but I also chuckle at the lower bottom left one as well.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2010, 05:23:17 PM »
Booze on Tap: The real product is almost the same so I just pushed the same theme even farther. I also acquired a vintage Body on Tap shampoo container on Ebay for this one.

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2010, 05:40:46 PM »
I love how Sue Mee works even as a tiny size sticker. It might be cool to see a subset of micro-Wackies in a future Topps release. Like 3 or four tiny die-cut titles on one card.

To the thread topic, Brylscream has been my favorite OLDS1 title for a while. That black box is really striking and the character just pops off of it. It's a funny gag to boot.

I also really liked the micro-size wacky.  Despite having recently gotten my first pair of glasses, I'd love to see more of them.  

I just took the poll and my Top 10 seemed to lie pretty much in line with others.  However, it was interesting to look at the outliers.  The one I voted for that had the lowest number of votes overall was Booze on Tap.  Still, a decent showing for BOT, but it easily made my Top 10.  

Oh, and the top vote getter, Hi Sea, didn't even make my Top 10.  It was definitely in the running for #10, but got nudged out by Strokes.  Always intersesting to see how different people react to different stickers.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 05:42:23 PM by crackedjerk »

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2010, 06:05:33 PM »
I know this is from the upcoming Old School Series 2 but since it came with the Series One box I want to say that Sue Mee is visually one of my favorite Wackys of all time, not just Old School.  The jar and lid are gorgeous and the pissed off squaw is funny.

(Image removed from quote.)
I agree with you, Kris.  As soon as I saw the mini-Wacky, I was already looking foreward to series two just so I can get a regular sized sticker of it.

Offline similecch

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 08:02:36 PM »
I just want to thank the kind souls who gifted me with the Old School stickers. Since the old forum has deleted all the private messages, I can't thank you guys in person--my apologies for that. Just want you to know how much I appreciate the kindness!

Thanks,
Frank

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2010, 08:14:54 PM »
I just want to thank the kind souls who gifted me with the Old School stickers. Since the old forum has deleted all the private messages, I can't thank you guys in person--my apologies for that. Just want you to know how much I appreciate the kindness!

Thanks,
Frank
You should be able to get to your old private messages if you use the link to the first forum: 
http://www.wackypackages.org/wackyforum/login.php

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2010, 09:57:57 PM »
You should be able to get to your old private messages if you use the link to the first forum: 
http://www.wackypackages.org/wackyforum/login.php

Exactly, I just checked and all of mine is still there under "ronofthedead" ???
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2010, 10:42:39 PM »
I see that Qreep is one of the most popular stickers in this series. It's one of my least favorites. It doesn't have any particular artistry like what you find on Bark or Hi Sea. And I don't know the cereal. But I'm curious what the attraction is for so many. Would anyone (who place it in their top ten) mind filling me in on the appeal of this one? Is this a case where I have to know the product to appreciate the gag?

Offline BaudLight

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2010, 11:42:36 PM »
I see that Qreep is one of the most popular stickers in this series. It's one of my least favorites. It doesn't have any particular artistry like what you find on Bark or Hi Sea. And I don't know the cereal. But I'm curious what the attraction is for so many. Would anyone (who place it in their top ten) mind filling me in on the appeal of this one? Is this a case where I have to know the product to appreciate the gag?

It is in my top ten.  I grew up eating Quisp (sometimes Quake) so it is one of those that I can relate to personally.  Gag wise,  the collection of other cereal character icons laid out in the bowl really did it for me.

BaudLight

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2010, 06:05:32 AM »
I think part of it is that the Quisp box was never really 'artistic' as far character detail, so if you ate Quisp cereal as a kid and remember the box, this sticker really hits the mark.  And there was another similar cereal from Quaker way back when called Quake - they had a vote in the 70's to decide which was better, and which should be discontinued.  Quisp beat out Quake, so the "Quake-Kill" gag made me laugh immediately (the character in the logo above is Quake).  I showed this sticker to my mom, and right away she remembered me being all excited about voting, and asking her to drive me to the post office to mail my ballot.  That gag ties in with the other cereal characters in the bowl, it's like he's trying to take out all the competition, and the hash marks for victims are just too funny!  Plus, it's cool to have the other cereal characters on the Wacky.

I can see where this would fall flat if you don't recognize any of this - Quisp is still available online, and in some stores.  Here's a picture of a current box, as well as one from an old Quake box.

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2010, 10:26:15 AM »
I think my favorite (among so many) is Project 19.  Just the title alone cracks me up!

Offline Cheddarfield

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2010, 09:01:12 PM »
Choose your top 10
Vote placed.
It's different having a different name here.
Who am I?

Offline spy vs spy

« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2010, 09:04:09 PM »
Vote placed.
Who am I?
Chris  Pat or Adrian no doubt !@#$%^&*()_+

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2010, 09:15:29 PM »
Vote placed.
Who am I?

Why didn't you keep your same name? Most have but some have changed. Just curious.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2010, 04:29:54 AM »
I totally get it now. Thanks for the insight!

Offline Buz

• Kaijuzoologist
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2010, 07:46:42 AM »
I think part of it is that the Quisp box was never really 'artistic' as far character detail, so if you ate Quisp cereal as a kid and remember the box, this sticker really hits the mark.  And there was another similar cereal from Quaker way back when called Quake - they had a vote in the 70's to decide which was better, and which should be discontinued.  Quisp beat out Quake, so the "Quake-Kill" gag made me laugh immediately (the character in the logo above is Quake).  I showed this sticker to my mom, and right away she remembered me being all excited about voting, and asking her to drive me to the post office to mail my ballot.  That gag ties in with the other cereal characters in the bowl, it's like he's trying to take out all the competition, and the hash marks for victims are just too funny!  Plus, it's cool to have the other cereal characters on the Wacky.

I can see where this would fall flat if you don't recognize any of this - Quisp is still available online, and in some stores.  Here's a picture of a current box, as well as one from an old Quake box.

Great summary of Quisp and explanation of the Qreep gags. I would just add that the Quisp and Quake ads were done by Jay Ward, creator of Rocky and Bullwinkle, and are smart even by the standards of 70s cereal ads and mascots (and the 60s and 70s were the golden age of cereal mascots and cool cereal premiums). I like all the Old School sketches I've seen, and love the ones I pulled, but Qreep is the only sketch by Jay that I absolutely must have! Here's hoping the Freakies and the rest of the Monster Cereals are done in later Old School series!
"Gamera always wins!"

Online RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2010, 07:56:02 AM »
Here's hoping the Freakies and the rest of the Monster Cereals are done in later Old School series!
Count Chockula and Boo Berry are long overdue!!  I know there's ANS Count Funkula, but the box just isn't right - I want the Old School version!!

Taz

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2010, 07:58:06 AM »
Count Chockula and Boo Berry are long overdue!!  I know there's ANS Count Funkula, but the box just isn't right - I want the Old School version!!

I could not agree with more, bring them on I say!

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2010, 08:16:25 PM »

I love this title also!
I think Sue Mee is pissed that a wasp made her honey instead of a bee!   ;D

Bum_and_Mabel

« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2010, 05:19:05 PM »
Cheddarfield is probably my favorite. For one, the original package design is great, and has been embellished with some good visual jokes. For another, unlike some Wacky cigarette parodies throughout the years, the gag ties in with the health hazards of smoking, and I like that satirical bite.

[expando]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Lw8evT5WG6k/S6qohGqdCvI/AAAAAAAAC6I/cqQYWipNx8M/s1600/cheddar.png[/expando]

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2010, 06:50:33 PM »
Cheddarfield is probably my favorite. For one, the original package design is great, and has been embellished with some good visual jokes. For another, unlike some Wacky cigarette parodies throughout the years, the gag ties in with the health hazards of smoking, and I like that satirical bite.

[expando]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_Lw8evT5WG6k/S6qohGqdCvI/AAAAAAAAC6I/cqQYWipNx8M/s1600/cheddar.png[/expando]

I love the expando feature. The pictures take up less room and you can zoom to get a better look.
One thing I noticed about this sticker is that the edges are square on top and don't follow the die-cut. I never noticed it before.

Offline View Monster

• Sights For Sore-Eyes
  • ___ a.k.a. wackyfan ___
    • Non-Sport trading cardz
« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2010, 07:54:04 PM »
I love the expando feature. The pictures take up less room and you can zoom to get a better look.
The expando feature is AWESOME!
 ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^ ^-^