Author Topic: Favorite Old School Wacky?  (Read 46062 times)

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Favorite Old School Wacky?
« Reply #105 on: July 15, 2010, 08:20:35 PM »
Thanks very much. The details on the stickers I think were a bit blurry due to some off register nonsense by the printer. I expect OLDS2 to look much sharper. Here is Odor Pops biggie sized.(Image removed from quote.)
Holy crap, I never noticed how wonderfully detailed those otters are under the cello!
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #106 on: July 15, 2010, 08:34:31 PM »
Odor Pops was a piece I really had to do a lot of research on. I remembered an obscure character flavor from when I was a kid but all the packaging I could find didn't have him. I finally found him after quite awhile of searching. The top row has him on the far left. Rip Van Lemon. They changed him to a Mexican with a sombrero in the mid to late 70s. I think he may be a fireman now.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #107 on: July 15, 2010, 10:48:45 PM »
Odor Pops was a piece I really had to do a lot of research on. I remembered an obscure character flavor from when I was a kid but all the packaging I could find didn't have him. I finally found him after quite awhile of searching. The top row has him on the far left. Rip Van Lemon. They changed him to a Mexican with a sombrero in the mid to late 70s. I think he may be a fireman now.
Wow! This is awesome!

I could see the detail bandaches talked about -- but only when I looked at the card with a magnifying glass. Glad it's a printer issue (and glad it's likely to be resolved) and not just me!

I was really into the blue and green ones as a kid and remember these weird plastic mitten-like hand-puppets that came in the boxes. I think the boxes could be used as a "stage" for them? I keep wondering if those are going to appear in an old box from the attic one day...

Rip Van Lemon was great! Replaced by Poncho Punch long after my day. Something about him looks kinda shifty. Maybe he had something to do with Rip's "disappearance"? He's still an Otter Pop, so perhaps he arranged for an "accident" with the Fireman Otter Pop as well...

I also notice in this amazing blow-up that you painted him on the box top where he almost looks like he is sleeping instead of the x-eyed look. Was that intentional? And I love the far left real otter: that expression is priceless! Looks like he died smelling something awful!

Question: Why oh why didn't they release 5x7's of ALL of these?! Like separate packs of 3 (different than the 9 you could get with the boxes, for example) for $6.95 or something so you could build a set by combining from both. I would *love* to have a set of all 33 in the bigger 5x7 format to really appreciate the art. Maybe a good idea? :D
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 10:55:04 PM by Ducko »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #108 on: July 16, 2010, 09:56:23 AM »

Question: Why oh why didn't they release 5x7's of ALL of these?! Like separate packs of 3 (different than the 9 you could get with the boxes, for example) for $6.95 or something so you could build a set by combining from both. I would *love* to have a set of all 33 in the bigger 5x7 format to really appreciate the art. Maybe a good idea? :D

I totally agree and I hope they do that with OLDS2

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #109 on: July 17, 2010, 02:57:07 PM »
I totally agree and I hope they do that with OLDS2

I think Dave mentioned the possibility of a giant size OS run also. Dave, could that still happen sometime soon?

Taz

« Reply #110 on: July 17, 2010, 02:59:08 PM »
I think Dave mentioned the possibility of a giant size OS run also. Dave, could that still happen sometime soon?

I'm all in, as long as the price is within reason.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #111 on: July 17, 2010, 03:16:45 PM »
I'm all in, as long as the price is within reason.

I'm wondering what would work better for these. Sell 'em by the box packaged with wrappers, etc., or just as a complete set? Since they'd probably be aimed at collectors, maybe by the set would make more sense. OR even better, offered as a mail-away set on the OldS2 wrappers! For a reasonable fee of course.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #112 on: July 17, 2010, 08:29:51 PM »
Thanks very much. The details on the stickers I think were a bit blurry due to some off register nonsense by the printer. I expect OLDS2 to look much sharper. Here is Odor Pops biggie sized.
These large images are great, keep 'em coming. I had no idea how detailed the otters were either - wonderful stuff! Any background info on how you came up with the concept or how tough it was to find images is much appreciated as well.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #113 on: July 18, 2010, 08:44:40 AM »
another:
(Image removed from quote.)

I think this one is my favorite!  There's something about the rat that I like.
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #114 on: July 18, 2010, 09:30:17 AM »
It really is hard to pick Favorties.  I think I do like this one better than Bark, but I am partial to the Cigarette and Alcohol Wackys.  Frankenbrainy is another favorite.  IT is just too cool.  I would like to see a parody of Boo Berry and possibly Frute Brute.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #115 on: July 18, 2010, 11:07:31 AM »

That rat reminds me of the Disney character in "Ratatouille".
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #116 on: July 19, 2010, 11:43:23 AM »
I'm wondering what would work better for these. Sell 'em by the box packaged with wrappers, etc., or just as a complete set? Since they'd probably be aimed at collectors, maybe by the set would make more sense. OR even better, offered as a mail-away set on the OldS2 wrappers! For a reasonable fee of course.

I see that Topps sells 5x7 UFC stickers, 2 per pack, calling them "Stick-n-Move" graphics:
http://www.toppsonlinestore.com/servlet/the-618/2010-Topps-UFC-Stick-dsh-n-dsh-Move/Detail

This could be a good way to sell a 5x7 Wacky OS run. I especially like the reusable aspect, like LTL prints.

Offline bandaches

« Reply #117 on: July 23, 2010, 01:24:54 PM »
I think this one is my favorite!  There's something about the rat that I like.
Was the rat smoking a cheddarfield when he got trapped?
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #118 on: July 23, 2010, 02:17:04 PM »
I see that Topps sells 5x7 UFC stickers, 2 per pack, calling them "Stick-n-Move" graphics:
http://www.toppsonlinestore.com/servlet/the-618/2010-Topps-UFC-Stick-dsh-n-dsh-Move/Detail

This could be a good way to sell a 5x7 Wacky OS run. I especially like the reusable aspect, like LTL prints.

I sent them this info along with 11 other ideas I came up with. We will see what they say.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #119 on: July 23, 2010, 02:31:56 PM »
I sent them this info along with 11 other ideas I came up with. We will see what they say.

Cool. Eleven other ideas?? Hmmmmm...  :D

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #120 on: July 31, 2010, 09:28:22 PM »

O.K. I thought it was time for this summary.

As of 8-1-10 the Top 10 picks/votes are:

10 - Strokes (19-votes)
9 - Cheddarfield (20)
8 - Funny Taste (24)
7 - Bark (24)
6 - Project 19 (26)
5 - Blam-O (27)
4 - Gee Your Hair Smells Horrific (29)
3 - Qreep (35)
2 - Frankenbrainy (36)

And the #1 poll pick of OLDS 1 is:

[spoiler]HI SEA at 37[/spoiler]
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #121 on: July 31, 2010, 10:33:45 PM »
I think we're missing the huge, glorious prints of a couple of those, aren't we? {hint, hint -- very subtle -- hint, hint} ;D

Me too -- I think it's because he looks more dazed than killed -- like he got "caught" smoking a Cheddarfield perhaps. Yet another detail I missed before: the red V printing on the trap actually shows the mouse/rat with a Cheddarfield sticking out of its mouth! BRILLIANT!!

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #122 on: July 31, 2010, 10:47:34 PM »
Yet another detail I missed before: the red V printing on the trap actually shows the mouse/rat with a Cheddarfield sticking out of its mouth! BRILLIANT!!

That is a cool detail!
Another thing I like about it, is how his tail swirls around and becomes the bottom of the letter f.

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #123 on: July 31, 2010, 11:41:46 PM »
That is a cool detail!
Another thing I like about it, is how his tail swirls around and becomes the bottom of the letter f.

Ha! I missed that! Looks like that swirling f is part of the original package: http://www.goantiques.com/scripts/images,id,1423890.html

And I just found one more: I didn't notice another mousetrap in the graphics making up the C in Cheddarfield -- it was so subtle (to me) that I didn't see it was a mousetrap. Looked like part of the fancy graphics around the lettering. Dang. Great stuff!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #124 on: August 07, 2010, 11:04:36 AM »
More big scans:

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #125 on: August 07, 2010, 11:06:54 AM »
This one is based on the first homemade computer drawn Wacky I did waaaay back around John Mann's website time.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #126 on: August 07, 2010, 11:07:42 AM »

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #127 on: August 07, 2010, 11:08:15 AM »

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #128 on: August 07, 2010, 11:31:59 AM »
Awesome!  :D

Yet another detail I hadn't noticed before: Franken Brainy's fingernails! Ha!

And in my mind I transposed "flagrance" (a word I never knew existed until now) into "fragrance".

P.S. I bet everyone would be interested in what your picks are for Top 10. :)
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:33:59 AM by Ducko »

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #129 on: August 08, 2010, 02:04:34 PM »
This one is based on the first homemade computer drawn Wacky I did waaaay back around John Mann's website time.

I remember seeing this on John's page 10 (or more) years ago.  Loved it then and still do now.  Well done!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #130 on: August 08, 2010, 02:05:38 PM »

P.S. I bet everyone would be interested in what your picks are for Top 10. :)

Yeah, even though that might be like picking amongst your children, I'd be curious, Dave, if you picked your Top 10 what they would be.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #131 on: August 08, 2010, 06:43:04 PM »
The ones I was happiest with from gag to completion would be (not in any order):
Franken Brainy, Brylscream, 15th Avenue, BC, Bark, Blam-O, Spazzles, Hi-Sea, Gee, Your Hair and Booze on Tap. Sue Mee would be in there if it was actually part of series 1.

Offline ElectricSlave

« Reply #132 on: September 13, 2010, 12:56:23 PM »
someone offered to sell me a set of Old School wackies in the other forum. this is my first visit here. anybody got a spare set?
ElectricSlave

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #133 on: September 13, 2010, 12:58:18 PM »
someone offered to sell me a set of Old School wackies in the other forum. this is my first visit here. anybody got a spare set?
ElectricSlave

Rick, I can hook you up with a base set if you want.  PM me your address!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline bandaches

« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »
ElectricSlave
There are posts on the other forum?

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #135 on: September 13, 2010, 06:51:00 PM »

the detail on the glass, drink, and ice is stunning!

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #136 on: September 13, 2010, 08:13:47 PM »
the detail on the glass, drink, and ice is stunning!
and it even has 70's style advertising, with a subliminal S-E-X spelled out in the drink....