Author Topic: Pricing 1967 "Cracked Animals" and "Ratz Crackers"  (Read 18885 times)

Offline wackypackster

Pricing 1967 "Cracked Animals" and "Ratz Crackers"
« on: June 28, 2010, 02:31:38 PM »
Hey everyone,

I inherited some wacky packs and have since become a big fan.  Apparently I have two of the rarest cards, Cracked Animals and Ratz Crackers.  I'm wondering what they are worth? They are in excellent near mint condition.  Should I get them graded? What is the most you have seen either of these two cards fetch at an auction?  I'm new to this collection and any and all information about these two cards would be appreciated.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Pricing 1967 "Cracked Animals" and "Ratz Crackers"
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:41:20 PM »
Hello and welcome to the forum!
2 were sold recently in EX condition for about $2K each. If you get them graded and they are in PSA 7 or better the price will go up from there.
Good luck!

Offline wackypackster

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 02:46:13 PM »
Great, thanks for the reply.  Now I'm afraid to touch them.

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 03:59:13 PM »

Can you provide some pictures or scans?
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 08:49:51 AM »

Congrats on the find.  Those are two of the rarest Wacky's.  If you can post pictures or scans of them, there are many experts here that can tell you if they are nice enough to bother sending out for grading.  Corner dings and popped perfs are the biggest liabilies for getting a good grade.  Also, centering is important.  If you have some nice one, they could be worth a lot of money.
Still looking for Series 17

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 06:45:17 AM »
Here are the pics you guys requested, what do you think?

Dude, those are pretty nice!, especially the Ratz!  I've seen much worse than those for sure. 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 07:11:04 AM »
I would probably put them in the EX range. Probably not worth grading but pretty nice overall. Are you planning on selling them? You should be proud to own them!

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 12:21:40 PM »
Thos e are very nice.  Especially those colring on the back.  They are very bright, no fading or tanning.  I know a lot of people prefer ones with clean, bright backs.  If you sell these, you should do pretty well.

Offline wackypackster

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 12:38:38 PM »
yeah both the front and back of the cards are very bright and look new with no fading.  Selling is definitely an option.  Is there a trading card magazine/catalog with prices?

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »
I would probably put them in the EX range. Probably not worth grading but pretty nice overall. Are you planning on selling them? You should be proud to own them!

Really?  I think the Ratz is definitely higher than EX.  I would say at least a solid EX+ and a fine specimen to grade.  What flaws are you seeing that knock it down that far?  Perfs all intact, no apparent creases, corners only slightly touched, color is clean and bright both sides, and it's pretty well-centered.  There seems to be something going on in the upper right of the art above the cracker, but I can't tell what it is.

Offline wackypackster

« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 01:15:17 PM »
the area on the top right is some type of superficial residue (on the surface) that i'm sure could be professionally removed (with alcohol maybe?), i know i'm not going to try anything unless it would increase the value of the card

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 02:03:04 PM »
Really?  I think the Ratz is definitely higher than EX.  I would say at least a solid EX+ and a fine specimen to grade.  What flaws are you seeing that knock it down that far?  Perfs all intact, no apparent creases, corners only slightly touched, color is clean and bright both sides, and it's pretty well-centered.  There seems to be something going on in the upper right of the art above the cracker, but I can't tell what it is.
I have seen worse sell for good money.  The Ratz would likely get a cenetering qualifier and its corners are touched up enough to keep PSA6 as its top grade.
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 02:32:31 PM »
I have seen worse sell for good money.  The Ratz would likely get a cenetering qualifier and its corners are touched up enough to keep PSA6 as its top grade.

That is exactly what I thought. I guess that would be an EX+ then. The thing with getting it graded when you know it's going to get a 5 or 6 is people will view it differently when you auction it. I would leave it raw and put it up for auction if you don't want them.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline ROID

« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2010, 04:37:09 PM »
That's funny...he lives in the town next to mine. IF I had the money for it,I could save a $100 on the shipping and just go pick it up.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 04:49:46 PM »

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 04:53:07 PM »
That one is horrible. I wouldn't even give him $500 for it.
You do'nt think it's cool that it's one of a kind? :^)  I know Ive never seen another like it, though I do have an (unscored) "Wacky-Ad" (Boo-Hoo) It's one of my favorite pieces in my (collection) because it's unique.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 04:55:05 PM by RonZombie »

Offline wackypackster

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 05:18:27 PM »
Wow 10 thousand dollars, if that sells then im going to ebay mine next week.  what type of reserve would u guys recommend?  i see he has used psa and gai.  whats the difference between the two?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2010, 08:03:38 PM »
Obviously this one has been hand cut from an unscored sheet, hence the "authentic" grade. It is worth nowhere near the asking price in my book. Opinions may vary, but I could have done a better job cutting it after three Scotches, and I wouldn't pay $100 for it.

wackyone

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2010, 08:40:45 PM »
i would like to see the back of it..
for $10,000 show me the back.... :]

this guy "the wackyman" must be a member here ?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 08:43:22 PM by wackyone »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 09:01:47 AM »
Obviously this one has been hand cut from an unscored sheet, hence the "authentic" grade. It is worth nowhere near the asking price in my book. Opinions may vary, but I could have done a better job cutting it after three Scotches, and I wouldn't pay $100 for it.
I'm not convinced it's real at all. I'd like to see the back before I judged further, but this looks like a Duane repro to me from the front, even to the extent that the copyright has been cut away. I can't be certain of the "hand cut" aspect, though...

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2010, 08:19:09 AM »
the area on the top right is some type of superficial residue (on the surface) that i'm sure could be professionally removed (with alcohol maybe?), i know i'm not going to try anything unless it would increase the value of the card

If it's just surface residue you may be able to remove it with nylon brush bristles or panty hose, but stay away from the corners!

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2010, 08:20:56 AM »
That one is horrible. I wouldn't even give him $500 for it.

I know, the cut is horrible.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 08:11:30 PM »
I know, the cut is horrible.
The guy could'nt sell it the 1st time around so he thought he would have better luck if he upped the price $2500!!! :o
http://cgi.ebay.com/1967-WACKY-PACKAGES-Die-Cut-CRACKED-ANIMALS-38-RARE-/290453398770?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43a05f24f2

wackyone

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 08:46:01 PM »
ya i saw that today and started to  :] :] :]
when in dout raise the price!

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 10:30:15 PM »
For $10,000 I would have used my $50,000 Polar cutter at my Print shop and had it professionally cut down. I have the cutter, I just don't have the 10k for A CARD :]

Choke_Wagon

Offline Bigmuc13

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2010, 12:04:26 PM »

Really.   This must have been cut from a sheet by someone when they are a child using those crazy fat left handed sissors!

Offline Ducko

• (Now on as Porkie)
  • (Now on as Porkie)
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 01:40:50 PM »
Quote from: wackypackster
As Dr. Popper so wisely stated: do NOT use alcohol or other liquids!! Panty hose is a good choice, and wipe carefully from center to the outside only, thus avoiding hitting the corners (bumped corners reduce the value). If it's wax it should come off -- gum is a little trickier. You could also just leave it alone (mb a good idea) and let the buyer do as they wish. I would probably go this route. Really up to you, obviously.

I'm not a professional grader, but other than the tiny residue I would have given the Ratz an EX+/NM- -- the back looks fantastic! I'd probably go EX at least for the Cracked. Either way these are NICE cards! As suggested earlier, putting them (CAREFULLY!) in "penny sleeves" (the little baseball card plastic sleeves meant to put cards in to keep them clean) and then putting that in a hard "top loader" card protector (again CAREFULLY! just take your time and be EXTRA careful with the corners -- patience, patience, patience! Do it when you will be uninterrupted and with lots of light). Remember those two cards are likely in the $2k-$4k range EACH! Baseball card stores have these and you can buy them online (often you'll see packs of the top loaders that include the penny sleeves). The regulars here might have a preferred source. Anyone?

Quote from: Bigmuc13
Really.   This must have been cut from a sheet by someone when they are a child using those crazy fat left handed sissors!
lol! I was thinking the same thing! Worst cutting job EVAH!

I also saw the $12,500 Cracked and thought the name was oddly appropriate. The $100 or so seems about right. Thought it was interesting the GAI grading just said "Authentic" and nothing else.

Reminds me of the seller with the original Sims artwork who kept upping the price every week by thousands of dollars. WT_? I think it went $10k to $18k to something like $39k the last time I saw it. Should have upped it to $10M to make it sell! ;)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:42:24 PM by Ducko »

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2010, 02:12:55 PM »
Reminds me of the seller with the original Sims artwork who kept upping the price every week by thousands of dollars. WT_? I think it went $10k to $18k to something like $39k the last time I saw it. Should have upped it to $10M to make it sell! ;)
it's still out there and still going up in price every time. now at $75K. the guy is completely delusional with the asking price, but if it ever magically sells, that would quite a windfall.
http://cgi.ebay.com/WACKY-PACKAGES-ORIGINAL-ART-MICHAEL-JACKSON-10-STARS-/130404880008?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e5cbc8e88#ht_1687wt_879

Offline wackypackster

« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2010, 04:03:28 PM »
Thank you all for the helpful advice.  I am storing the cards in Mylar penny sleeves and then inside semirigid holders.  Yes I was extremely careful when transferring the cards into the holders (it was nerve wracking!)  but everything went ok and I feel much better about handling them now that they're in cases.  As for the surface residue I've left it alone so maybe a pro can deal with it at some point.  I actually found a nearly complete set with only alcohol seltzer and spray nit missing, so if anyone has those for sale I'm interested.  I only request they are in excellent cond like the rest.

anything