Author Topic: Pack Searching  (Read 4895 times)

Offline FourRoses

Pack Searching
« on: December 26, 2014, 12:54:42 PM »
Now that Topps has made it extremely easy to search packs, does anyone here do it? I'm not judging in the least because if you don't do it, there is a guarantee that someone else will. I only ask because I recently saw someone in Target trying to do it, with something other than WP's, and it was almost painful to watch. Even if he found a chase card, it most likely would have been molested beyond belief.

Offline lucidjc

Re: Pack Searching
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2014, 05:30:56 PM »
Now that Topps has made it extremely easy to search packs, does anyone here do it? I'm not judging in the least because if you don't do it, there is a guarantee that someone else will. I only ask because I recently saw someone in Target trying to do it, with something other than WP's, and it was almost painful to watch. Even if he found a chase card, it most likely would have been molested beyond belief.

I do not worry about this anymore. I never buy retail for this exact reason. Topps does not even care about this problem. I have tried to address it with them, they simply don't care.

jim

Offline drono

« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 08:44:13 AM »
I did it to put together a 2014 Series 1 set, but after I had already purchased the packs.  I was seeing how few packs I could open to get the entire 130 card base.  I did it in 28, which is only 8 more than the 20 pack minimum to get the chase cards.

I also wondered if anyone had put together a complete set from unopened pack fronts -- that is finding 110 packs with every possible combination of fronts.  It might not be possible, but it could also open up a new market for unopened packs.

Offline havok77

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2014, 07:38:21 PM »
it is wrong , plain and simple .

Offline Soremel

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 03:47:45 PM »
it is wrong , plain and simple .

I have to agree. It has killed buying retail for me on a couple of levels... The first is that every pack (yes, every pack) of Chrome and 2014 that I have purchased at TRU and Target had fingernail impressions in the wrapper from someone searching the packs. It seems to be a wide spread practice because I have seen it in multiple stores in multiple states. The second, Is that the thrill of possibly finding a rare insert is greatly diminished. This epidemic, along with needing 2-3 grand to put together a semi complete set has made me decide not to pursue any future WP releases.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 03:49:33 PM by Soremel »

Offline havok77

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 05:06:02 PM »
exactly , the whole point of buying a pack . is to get "new"  cards . not damaged cards.

Offline drono

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2014, 05:59:51 PM »
You must be "heavy handed" in your searching.  I searched through mine without damaging a pack or a sticker.  Of course, I had a lot of time since I'd already purchased the packs. 

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 11:25:44 AM »
Right or wrong I'm not sure.

IMO it is what the hobby is becoming and I have to blame Topps for putting out release after release along with designing completely useless packaging.

I've had great luck with this hobby and more so when true chase cards were offered and I've managed to pull a sketch card (since they were offered in ANSX) from each series the right way. What I can understand is the frustration some people might have.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 12:02:03 PM »
My sense is the next ANS Release will not have clear packs at retail. There is no doubt that this feature seriusly reduced retail sales. Topps will react to that and things will go back to packs that are not searchable by sight. That will not curtail pack searching by "semi professionals" but it will put an end to what we are currently seeing at retail; which is not pretty.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2015, 12:14:12 PM »
I saw someone returning unopened packs at Target but they would only let them exchange, no refunds. I asked why they were returning and they said it was a stocking stuffer for some guest that never came. ;D

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2015, 10:27:23 PM »
I saw someone returning unopened packs at Target but they would only let them exchange, no refunds. I asked why they were returning and they said it was a stocking stuffer for some guest that never came. ;D

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 06:29:44 AM »
The only real searching I've done is with the blisters and jumbos when buying them for the bonus stickers to make sure I'm getting the right ones to make a complete set. Been doing that since the ans2 blisters.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 05:54:22 PM »
What I dont see anymore are Blaster packs. Last ANS 11 have maybe 2 and only one for Chromes. But I see lots for GPK. Are the cutting back on these for Wackys. I would be curious to see if anyone else has encountered this. I have been to maybe 15 South Florida retail stores on this comparison

Offline FourRoses

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 08:00:55 AM »
This past weekend trip to Target was an example of either fate or karma. Whatever it turned out to be, it is a story of intrigue.

Surprising to no one, the card aisle near the registers were the same as they have been for weeks: Completely molested and far from being fresh.

As I walked through the main aisle separating the electronics from the toys, a pain-in-the-ass child was being reprimanded by his none too understanding father. This diversion caused me to take a trip through the Lego aisle and when I reached the end and attempted to go right, I was met with a cul de sac of sorts. To my left was a twenty pack display of the 23+1 packs and for S&G's I opted to purchase a pack as I needed the bonus card(s). 1 through 19 were fanned beyond belief but number 20 was only slightly fanned. Either the searcher was a rookie, partially blind or he didn't have the $4.99 for the pack because a brief glimpse is all it took to spot a bit of purple but it could have been adrenaline causing me to think I saw something that wasn't there. Without searching it I decided to purchase it regardless since I knew a bonus card was in it and due to the fact that I haven't really purchased any WP's since Chrome since that series left an odd taste in my mouth. When I opened it in the car, I couldn't find anything but looking more closely, the B2 and Gambino sketch were practically stuck together.

I'd like to think I snookered a searcher.