Author Topic: Wonderbread commercial footage?  (Read 9651 times)

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Wonderbread commercial footage?
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:25:06 PM »
Anyone remember this? I was wondering whatever happened to that footage that sold on ebay of the Wonderbread commercial that included Wacky's? Inquiring minds need to know.  :] 
Keep on Rockin' in the Free World

Offline bandaches

• http://www.wackypackage.com/
    • Visit my Wacky Pack Website
Re: Wonderbread commercial footage?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 07:27:14 PM »
Anyone remember this? I was wondering whatever happened to that footage that sold on ebay of the Wonderbread commercial that included Wacky's? Inquiring minds need to know.  :] 
I have periodically asked about this but get no responses....
Contact me at bandaches@yahoo.com as I have tons of wackys for sale!  Visit my website http://www.wackypackage.com/

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:28:48 PM »
Figured it was time to throw it out there again. See what happens. It would be so cool to see that commercial, just to see if I could remember ever seeing it at all. Plus the 70's retro stuff is so cool anyway.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 07:44:53 AM »
I have periodically asked about this but get no responses....

Didn't Mark (Plan 9) win that? 
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 08:02:29 AM »
Didn't Mark (Plan 9) win that? 

Yes...but it seems he doesn't want anyone to view it... >:D

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2010, 09:05:20 AM »

Yeah it's like the Zapruder film of Wackys!  Or maybe the missing 18 minutes of tape...
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »

Mark didn't win it. The auction was stopped and the guy sold it (or traded it or whatever) to someone.

Offline jaylynch

• World Record Sketch Artist
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2010, 02:56:44 PM »
And in those days, advertisers would supply broadcast outlets not with 16 or 35mm film, but a copy of the film on 2" broadcast tape, which was the standard of the industry then.     So a film of this commercial is exceptionally rare,  Nobody can play 2" video tape any more....and only 3 places in the country have facilities to copy 2" tape to regular vhs tape or dvd.   

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 03:01:23 PM »
The only exception to this I've ever seen is old public service commercials.  I do have one of those of the teenage Brook Shields urging kids not to smoke which is on super 8mm. film., and was distributed to tv stations in that format.  Does anyone remember if the Wonder Bread commercial was on 8mm or 16mm?

Offline blunderbrent

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2010, 03:20:15 PM »
I'll never forget the Wonderbread phase of my Wacky collecting. It is like yesterday when I stuck my grubby hands down the underside of loaves in the Von's bread section, glancing around to make sure I wasn't being noticed, then quickly scooping out the sticker. It was an accomplishment of great order when I scored Neveready as it was the last title I needed to complete series. I did buy a bag every now and again so as to not feel such a total theif. I remember riding my bike home cramming gobs of soft white bread in my face while darting in and out of LA traffic. Wackys made a criminal out me early on. Poor kid who gets the Wonder bread without the sticker. I would love to see footage of such a commercial.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2010, 08:33:36 PM »
The only exception to this I've ever seen is old public service commercials.  I do have one of those of the teenage Brook Shields urging kids not to smoke which is on super 8mm. film., and was distributed to tv stations in that format.  Does anyone remember if the Wonder Bread commercial was on 8mm or 16mm?

Wow, that's a good question. Especially for the duping factor. I do not remember what format the tape was in or if the listing had that info. (although I suppose it would have). Wouldn't it be ironic if a library somewhere had some record of this commercial???

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2010, 08:35:23 PM »
I'll never forget the Wonderbread phase of my Wacky collecting. It is like yesterday when I stuck my grubby hands down the underside of loaves in the Von's bread section, glancing around to make sure I wasn't being noticed, then quickly scooping out the sticker. It was an accomplishment of great order when I scored Neveready as it was the last title I needed to complete series. I did buy a bag every now and again so as to not feel such a total theif. I remember riding my bike home cramming gobs of soft white bread in my face while darting in and out of LA traffic. Wackys made a criminal out me early on. Poor kid who gets the Wonder bread without the sticker. I would love to see footage of such a commercial.

That would make a good parody for us forum members !!

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »
It was 16mm film.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2010, 08:47:28 PM »
I have no idea of what that size is exactly, but I do of 8mm. Is 16mm half the size smaller or twice as big as 8mm film? I would guess smaller, which I would suppose would make it more frail and harder to get a good replication of.

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2010, 10:44:12 PM »
Before the late 1930s, If a film was to be copyrighted, two paper prints of the film were sent to the Library of Congress along with the copyright forms.  In the '30s they abandoned this, though.  Many early films were copied from paper prints at the Library of Congress.  Paper didn't decompose as fast as celuloid...and didn't tend to spontaneously catch fire, as did nitrate film.  Also, it was cheaper for the movie industry to make positive prints on reels of paper.    But anyway... I don't think the Library of Congress has a physical copy of this film.  They don't have physical copies of any of my stuff from the '70s that I own the copyrights on.  Today, they accept dvds.  But during the period between the late thirties and the advent of the dvd,  there isn't much in their film archive when you compare it to everything that was copyritghted during those years.  They only preserved the material that they deemed important at the time.  And of course, 99% of the time they were wrong on that.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 03:46:49 PM »
I have no idea of what that size is exactly, but I do of 8mm. Is 16mm half the size smaller or twice as big as 8mm film? I would guess smaller, which I would suppose would make it more frail and harder to get a good replication of.
16mm is twice the size of 8mm and far greater quality.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 09:01:07 PM »
Before the late 1930s, If a film was to be copyrighted, two paper prints of the film were sent to the Library of Congress along with the copyright forms.  In the '30s they abandoned this, though.  Many early films were copied from paper prints at the Library of Congress.  Paper didn't decompose as fast as celuloid...and didn't tend to spontaneously catch fire, as did nitrate film.  Also, it was cheaper for the movie industry to make positive prints on reels of paper.    But anyway... I don't think the Library of Congress has a physical copy of this film.  They don't have physical copies of any of my stuff from the '70s that I own the copyrights on.  Today, they accept dvds.  But during the period between the late thirties and the advent of the dvd,  there isn't much in their film archive when you compare it to everything that was copyritghted during those years.  They only preserved the material that they deemed important at the time.  And of course, 99% of the time they were wrong on that.

I've submitted copies of my music to the library of congress on Mini Disc's. This was in the 90's. They accepted that format with out any problems. Mini disc, as far as audio recording, is far superior to CD-R, CD+R, etc... because it does the same exact job, but with more flexibility. The MD"s have the same storage capacity and are ALL rewritable, plus you can erase any track/title and it automatically renumbers everything for you. You can also mark and cut out parts with no problems. Sort of like the beta/Vhs thing, Mini Disc's (although better) never took off.

-Sooo, back to the topic, it is possible then Library of Congress may have this commercial? After so long -would it become public domain? I guess that is the real question?

Offline jaylynch

« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2010, 09:57:02 AM »
It wouldn't become public domain, even if the original copyright owner didn't renew his copyrights after the first 28 years, Trademark law would protect the commercial.   Aside from any copyright issues, Wonder Bread and Wacky Packages are still trademarks, and their respective owners could limit the use of the commercial film on that basis.

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2010, 10:11:23 AM »
Wow, thanks Jay, didn't even think about the trademark laws and their owners. So then, we may never see this in our lifetime. Until no one Wonderbread & Topps cares anymore about it. Or until they no longer exist.  Kinda sad for what seems to be a nice small part of pop culture history.  :(

Offline JasonLiebig

• CollectingCandy.com
Wonder Bread - What about the bread bag?
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2010, 09:34:50 PM »
Hi guys,

I wanted to add to the Wonder Bread discussion just a bit, and in sort of a sideways way.  That is to address whether or not a Wonder Bread bag with the Wacky promotion printed on it actually exists.   After a recent discovery, I believe that it's a strong possibility that such a bread bag did exist, but has yet to be discovered.  

My reasoning, beyond the mock-up we all saw on the screen shot for the commercial reel on Ebay, and the promotional flyer/poster which I also believe has been discovered - is based on a recent discovery of mine.  That discovery is of a 1986 Wonder Bread bag that was produced and sold in conjunction with a series of Wonder Bread He-Man : Masters of the Universe insert trading cards.  

There appears to be quite a healthy hobby around the MOTU toys and related items, and though the bread bag in question is from 1986, their hobby had never seen one - until now.  

Even though this is nothing that a Wacky collector can get too excited about, I should think it lends credibility to the chances that a Wonder Bread "Wacky Packages" bread bag could still be out there, waiting to be discovered.  :-)

For anyone curious - here's my posting of the Wonder bag in question:

Wonder Bread - He-Man Masters of the Universe trading card promo - bread bag - 1986 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Jason Liebig - A swell TV host (currently on History Channel) who used to oversee Marvel Comics' X-Men - now creator and curator of WishbookWeb.com and CollectingCandy.com, a celebration of candy packaging, marketing and the people behind it all

Offline Playbug

• Visit my website !
    • jeffxmusic.com
Re: Wonder Bread - What about the bread bag?
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2010, 07:09:36 PM »
Hi guys,

I wanted to add to the Wonder Bread discussion just a bit, and in sort of a sideways way.  That is to address whether or not a Wonder Bread bag with the Wacky promotion printed on it actually exists.   After a recent discovery, I believe that it's a strong possibility that such a bread bag did exist, but has yet to be discovered.  

My reasoning, beyond the mock-up we all saw on the screen shot for the commercial reel on Ebay, and the promotional flyer/poster which I also believe has been discovered - is based on a recent discovery of mine.  That discovery is of a 1986 Wonder Bread bag that was produced and sold in conjunction with a series of Wonder Bread He-Man : Masters of the Universe insert trading cards.  

There appears to be quite a healthy hobby around the MOTU toys and related items, and though the bread bag in question is from 1986, their hobby had never seen one - until now.  

Even though this is nothing that a Wacky collector can get too excited about, I should think it lends credibility to the chances that a Wonder Bread "Wacky Packages" bread bag could still be out there, waiting to be discovered.  :-)

For anyone curious - here's my posting of the Wonder bag in question:

Wonder Bread - He-Man Masters of the Universe trading card promo - bread bag - 1986 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Very cool. Makes ya Wonduh ?  Since it is a plastic wrap, it's possible one could still be found if it does exsist.

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2010, 06:38:59 PM »
And in those days, advertisers would supply broadcast outlets not with 16 or 35mm film, but a copy of the film on 2" broadcast tape, which was the standard of the industry then.     So a film of this commercial is exceptionally rare,  Nobody can play 2" video tape any more....and only 3 places in the country have facilities to copy 2" tape to regular vhs tape or dvd.  

Back when I did commercials in the 80's, all final tapes sent to station were on APEX 2" tapes, of which I still have over 30 commercials that I did. It was basically an oversize VHS tape on steriods. But the quality was exceptional. All TV stations took this from ad agencies for airing. Ironically today I went to see a customer at my local CBS station and as I was walking down the long hall, I pass a room that had wall to wall 2" tapes full of archived news. it was the job of some poor soul internally to convert to the new HD format. Looks like he had his work cut out for him. So those big APEX players are still out there if this station had one.

Just looking around, it imagine it would have been something like this with a Wacky boiler plate at the end saying free Wackys inside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRbHiWQgH4

also how many times did you see this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ozVMxzNAA&feature=related

Choke_Wagon
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 07:30:30 PM by Choke_Wagon »

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2010, 02:02:52 AM »
Back when I did commercials in the 80's, all final tapes sent to station were on APEX 2" tapes, of which I still have over 30 commercials that I did. It was basically an oversize VHS tape on steriods. But the quality was exceptional. All TV stations took this from ad agencies for airing. Ironically today I went to see a customer at my local CBS station and as I was walking down the long hall, I pass a room that had wall to wall 2" tapes full of archived news. it was the job of some poor soul internally to convert to the new HD format. Looks like he had his work cut out for him. So those big APEX players are still out there if this station had one.

Just looking around, it imagine it would have been something like this with a Wacky boiler plate at the end saying free Wackys inside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlRbHiWQgH4

also how many times did you see this?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4ozVMxzNAA&feature=related

Choke_Wagon
I remember those commercials. Especially the weeping indian. That guy was way too sensitive.

Offline slamjim

• OLDS11 in late 2023!
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2010, 05:19:18 AM »
I remember those commercials. Especially the weeping indian. That guy was way too sensitive.

I read he was not even an Indian! I think he was Italian.