Author Topic: Blast from the past...  (Read 9923 times)

Offline wackymann

Blast from the past...
« on: December 15, 2014, 12:43:41 PM »
Hey - this is John Mann.  I had one of the first Wacky web pages back in the '90s.  I think I started it up around 1995.  I haven't bought a Wacky Pack in over a decade, but it's nice to see the hobby is still flourishing :)  Is any of the new stuff worth buying?  I abandoned the hobby shortly before the "ANS" stuff came out.

Also - if there are any shows/reunions coming up, I'd love to meet up and trade stories about the olden days.  I'm probably forgetting some key people, but here are some of the names I remember from way back when...

Ernie de la Fuente
Phil Carpenter
Paul Argyropoulos (sp?)
Greg Grant
George Wright
Jeff McIntyre
Jeff Weiss
Scott Broberg
Tom
Mark Shoemaker
Terry Gomes
Dave Gross
John Mellard
Bill Schacht
Duane Dimock

and of course Jay Lynch!!

Offline Paul_Maul

Re: Blast from the past...
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 04:23:44 PM »
Hey John, good to hear from you again. A few of the people on your list are still active, though not the majority. Still obsessed with Alanis?

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2014, 04:53:55 PM »

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 05:11:02 PM »
A fun Wacky site.  My favorite part is the early work by three Wacky greats, Dave Gross, George Wright and Paul Harris!

Offline BustedFinger

• Just a simple collector. No books, no websites, no arguments!
  • I wonder where this text will appear?
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »
Ah, the good ol' days.  When things were so much simpler....
Giving "The Hobby" the finger since 1999!

Offline Zenergizer

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 05:35:43 PM »
welcome back, John!  I always remember that you were the first one to allow
us "budding" concept artists to post some of our crazy ideas, and shared them with
other enthusaists, and I always thank you for that.

(I think I had bumped into you at Lanes and Games one night, years back!)

Are you still in Massachusetts?  A few of us have discussed trying to get together
again, and we'd love to include you, obviously!

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2014, 06:15:26 PM »
Hey - this is John Mann.  I had one of the first Wacky web pages back in the '90s.  I think I started it up around 1995.  I haven't bought a Wacky Pack in over a decade, but it's nice to see the hobby is still flourishing :)  Is any of the new stuff worth buying?  I abandoned the hobby shortly before the "ANS" stuff came out.

Also - if there are any shows/reunions coming up, I'd love to meet up and trade stories about the olden days.  I'm probably forgetting some key people, but here are some of the names I remember from way back when...

Ernie de la Fuente  ...
(names omitted for space)

Greetings John, This is Scot Leibacher. I was one of the "gang" that hung out on the Prodigy service back in the early '90's along with Ernie, Scott Broberg, and others. It was a fun time when many WP variations were still being discovered as boxes and packs were opened. It got a little rich for my blood, however, when the original art wars started. I jumped back into Wacky collecting after about a 12 or 13 year hiatus. I stumbled upon the new forum here just after the Postcard and Old School series were started. I think these are the sets you should look into first if interested in getting back into the hobby. The Old School sets have done a pretty good job or retaining the flavor of the Original Series. The Postcard sets are just nice to see WPs in a larger format. Plus, the Halloween Postcard sets are a blast. The ANS stuff will continue to be plentiful and available for quite some time.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline wackymann

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2014, 06:17:43 PM »
Hey John, good to hear from you again. A few of the people on your list are still active, though not the majority. Still obsessed with Alanis?

Yes!  I went to my 100th show this past year :)  She's still awesome live.

Offline wackymann

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2014, 06:20:09 PM »
welcome back, John!  I always remember that you were the first one to allow
us "budding" concept artists to post some of our crazy ideas, and shared them with
other enthusaists, and I always thank you for that.

(I think I had bumped into you at Lanes and Games one night, years back!)

Are you still in Massachusetts?  A few of us have discussed trying to get together
again, and we'd love to include you, obviously!

Yep - same job, same house.  Kids are grown up now, so I might have time to get back into some more hobbies in the near future.

Offline wackymann

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 06:26:43 PM »
Hey John, good to hear from you again. A few of the people on your list are still active, though not the majority.
So who's who?  I don't remember the avatar/RL associations.

Offline wackymann

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 06:33:47 PM »
Greetings John, This is Scot Leibacher. I was one of the "gang" that hung out on the Prodigy service back in the early '90's along with Ernie, Scott Broberg, and others. It was a fun time when many WP variations were still being discovered as boxes and packs were opened. It got a little rich for my blood, however, when the original art wars started. I jumped back into Wacky collecting after about a 12 or 13 year hiatus. I stumbled upon the new forum here just after the Postcard and Old School series were started. I think these are the sets you should look into first if interested in getting back into the hobby. The Old School sets have done a pretty good job or retaining the flavor of the Original Series. The Postcard sets are just nice to see WPs in a larger format. Plus, the Halloween Postcard sets are a blast. The ANS stuff will continue to be plentiful and available for quite some time.
Thanks for the update!  I remember your name.  I will probably look around and see what's out there.  I'm not really interested in buying reprints of the old stuff, but if there is some good new artwork, I'd love to see it.  Is there a good site with scans of all the sets?

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2014, 12:47:59 AM »
Welcome Back John. I wasn't into the delphi/prodigy forums, but I did do some trading back then. Yours was one of the first web sites I enjoyed getting good info from. I sent you the 2 Wacky poster pics that are on your site.

Offline Lavirus

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2014, 06:09:34 AM »
Thanks for the update!  I remember your name.  I will probably look around and see what's out there.  I'm not really interested in buying reprints of the old stuff, but if there is some good new artwork, I'd love to see it.  Is there a good site with scans of all the sets?

Greg's site (wackypackages.org) has scans through ANS7 and Rusty's site (http://lostwackys.com/) has Old School 1 and the first couple of Postcard series. But we really need someone to pick up the ball and put together something updated.

Offline wackymann

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2014, 11:05:48 AM »
Greg's site (wackypackages.org) has scans through ANS7 and Rusty's site (http://lostwackys.com/) has Old School 1 and the first couple of Postcard series. But we really need someone to pick up the ball and put together something updated.

Cool - I'll check those out.

Offline wackymann

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »
Welcome Back John. I wasn't into the delphi/prodigy forums, but I did do some trading back then. Yours was one of the first web sites I enjoyed getting good info from. I sent you the 2 Wacky poster pics that are on your site.

Nice! Some guy e-mailed me recently asking what those are worth.  I had no idea...

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2014, 08:34:32 PM »
Nice to hear from you, John.  This is Tom Theisen (Madison, WI - crackedjerk).  I just started getting back into Wackys around '98 and met you, as I recall, at the '99 Philly show.  I was new to the hobby back then but have been pretty consistently collecting since then.  I think you'd probably enjoy the Old School series (done almost exclusively by Dave Gross) most as they best capture the flavor of the original series.  No doubt you could pick up complete sets pretty cheaply, but I'd recommend picking up boxes without the sketches included as you'd have a blast opening them and you could pick them up very cheaply.  Closest thing to returning to the 70's you're going to get without opening actual original series packs (and FAR more affordable).

Offline wackymann

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2014, 03:09:11 PM »
Nice to hear from you, John.  This is Tom Theisen (Madison, WI - crackedjerk).  I just started getting back into Wackys around '98 and met you, as I recall, at the '99 Philly show.  I was new to the hobby back then but have been pretty consistently collecting since then.  I think you'd probably enjoy the Old School series (done almost exclusively by Dave Gross) most as they best capture the flavor of the original series.  No doubt you could pick up complete sets pretty cheaply, but I'd recommend picking up boxes without the sketches included as you'd have a blast opening them and you could pick them up very cheaply.  Closest thing to returning to the 70's you're going to get without opening actual original series packs (and FAR more affordable).
Hi Tom!  Thanks for the recommendation.  I will buy some of this stuff on eBay and see if I get the collecting bug again.

Offline freetoes

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2014, 09:13:45 AM »
Hi, John.  It's nice to see you here--I was another of those who discovered your site when taking my first steps back into the hobby.  Best wishes for the Holiday Season!

Offline crackedjerk

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2014, 05:10:49 PM »
Hi Tom!  Thanks for the recommendation.  I will buy some of this stuff on eBay and see if I get the collecting bug again.

Great!  Even if the collecting bug doesn't bit you, I think you'd enjoy seeing the stuff.  And let me know if you'd like me to send you a little taste of the Old School stuff gratis.  I'm happy to share the love (and the plenty of extras I have).

Offline landoquakes

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 04:48:19 PM »
Welcome back John! This is Pete Boulay (landoquakes) I caught the bug around Christmas in 1999. Loved the "name the original products contests." Those were great prizes too and who could forget free wackies for buying Alanis' new disk at the time. I only made it to one reunion in '04 I think. Lots of fond memories trading. I saved all my trading letters, some of them are now pretty funny. I have a whole binder full.  I am not as active, but we are all getting older of course. I might have the most complete borderless run (except for series 16!) I will have to complete that someday. I've lost touch with a lot of people, but I found out that Brother Shoe will soon be Grandpa Shoe.
It's amazing how collectors really kind of run wackies now! Who would have thought collectors would have this kind of influence 12 years ago.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:40:02 PM by landoquakes »

Offline wackymann

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 09:45:03 PM »
Hi Pete - nice to hear from you!  The contests were fun - some of the products were pretty obscure!  And yes - we are all getting old haha. My daughter is a junior in college and my son is graduating from high school next June.  They were babies when I got back into collecting!

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2014, 09:54:25 AM »
Hey John!  This is Jeff MacIntyre.  I am still in the hobby, but mainly collect the stuff that has a connection to the originals in some way, the Old School series etc.  I did just pick up a complete post card set, which are cool.  I have pretty much stayed away from the ANS stuff, but do pick up the original series chase sets that are sometimes part of ANS.  Good to see you back.  Do you still have your 1-16 set?

Offline wackymann

« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2014, 10:46:52 AM »
Hey John!  This is Jeff MacIntyre.  I am still in the hobby, but mainly collect the stuff that has a connection to the originals in some way, the Old School series etc.  I did just pick up a complete post card set, which are cool.  I have pretty much stayed away from the ANS stuff, but do pick up the original series chase sets that are sometimes part of ANS.  Good to see you back.  Do you still have your 1-16 set?

Hey Jeff - nice to hear from you!

I still have everything I collected, including the 1-16, o-pee-chee, die-cuts, Ads, cloth, posters, etc...  I think I have another 1-15 complete that I cobbled together over the years as well.

I think the only old sets I never bothered with were the 1977 Shedd's, the 1979 test set, the 3rd series whites, and the Ludlows.  The ratio of cost to coolness was just too high for me. To be honest, I don't even remember if I ever finished my 1st series tan set, but I think I finally did.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2014, 03:52:16 PM »
Cool  to hear from you!  I will be a wacky fan for life  I would  imagine!  I just seem to stay true to what stirs the nostalgic feeling!  I just picked  up a die cut set in primo condition  for $ 1K.  I am stoked with that!

Offline Hipton

« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2015, 03:54:30 PM »
Hi John, nice to meet you! I wasn't on your forum, but have read some archived pages. My collecting started in 2003 with an unfolded Hipton poster from the Topps Vault. Managed to collect a whole set of those. Had a full die cut set too, but sold off the Ratz and Cracked to pay for some pinball machines, another hobby I got into by way of Wackys. Really miss the gatherings we used to have and I hope I can meet you at one of the Philly shows, if you still attend those.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 12:51:40 PM »

... Had a full die cut set too, but sold off the Ratz and Cracked to pay for some pinball machines, another hobby I got into by way of Wackys.

(I wonder if Brad was mixed up and the Child Board in the Non-Wacky Discussion area called “Monsterette's Pinball Chat Room” was meant to be yours, since you’re a pinball collector and Elizabeth appears not to be)

= Wacky Forum minutiae

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 07:33:20 PM »
(I wonder if Brad was mixed up and the Child Board in the Non-Wacky Discussion area called “Monsterette's Pinball Chat Room” was meant to be yours, since you’re a pinball collector and Elizabeth appears not to be)

= Wacky Forum minutiae
Yes, I think that's the case.  I like pinball, but really haven't paid much attention since I was in my early teens. Certainly not offended by the chat room, but I'm no pinball expert! 

anything