Author Topic: Chrome Superfractor Roll Call  (Read 34054 times)

Offline DrDeal

Chrome Superfractor Roll Call
« on: December 11, 2014, 06:06:48 PM »
Now that the majority of WP Chrome packs have been opened; if you scored one in a pack or purchased or traded for one or more WP Chrome Superfractors; please post a pic and tell us your story. I do not own one but would like to one day. I am sure a lot of forum members would appreciate the sharing of these tales.

Andrew

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
Re: Chrome Superfractor Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2014, 12:24:33 PM »
would have been nice to get one in my boxes, just to have one. But they looked so damn ugly I'll never go out of my way to purchase one any time in the future - even if they dropped to $50

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2014, 01:17:24 PM »
Pretty much the same here.  If I had pulled one and I really, really liked the title I got I might have kept it -- but I would have been very tempted to sell. Or if I had all the other variations of the same title, I might have considered buying one. But I'm just not interested enough to buy one in and of itself. Perhaps if they went down to $25.  But even then I think I'd spend the money on some other item...

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 10:12:27 AM »
If you all get any and can sell them to me for $25-50 I'll take em all!!!
Alex

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 11:56:47 AM »
 ^-^
If you all get any and can sell them to me for $25-50 I'll take em all!!!
Alex
Realize they are going for a lot more than that, they just aren't worth more than that to me...   :P

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2014, 09:40:49 PM »
^-^Realize they are going for a lot more than that, they just aren't worth more than that to me...   :P

I think that is the sediment of the forum. They are ugly and really no value. Scarce doesn't make them an awesome collectors favorite. Pulling some of Paul Mauls PSA cards would give me a much bigger chubby...LOL those cant be reproduced. Reproduction. That is why these aren't that desirable. Topps gets out a bedazzler and all of a sudden they are worth $500+? To me they are still reproductions. I had a bit of fun with Chrome and that I had some nice pulls and was able to basically get a set for free along with a few sketches but now they are in a box and I may never see them again.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 04:11:33 AM »
It actually looks a lot better in person:

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 01:27:11 PM »
It actually looks a lot better in person:

I still want to at least see one in person and make my own assessments instead of a quick knee jerk reaction (sediments) based on a simple pic. I believe RawGoo since she's actually seen one! And I'll still give at least $50 for the ones that I want!  A

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2014, 02:01:42 PM »
So the "Sentiments" of this forum is that Superfractors are "Sediment" right?

HaHa, yes

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2014, 02:35:12 PM »
I have to admit I just don't get the concept. One of the most esthetically appealing aspects of the original wackys are the bright white borders (one reason I hate toning). I just don't think the busy background is an asset.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 03:22:35 PM by Paul_Maul »

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2014, 09:08:35 PM »
I have to admit I just don't get the concept. One of the most esthetically appealing aspects of the original wackys are the bright white borders (one reason I hate toning). I just don't think the busy background is an asset.

I wouldn't have actively sought one out, or paid big bucks for it, but I got in a trade where I had the fun of completing someone else's want lists from a few series.  I have it in a page with an original OS3 sticker in the center, and the chrome variations in the other 8 pockets.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2014, 12:42:46 PM »
I wouldn't have actively sought one out, or paid big bucks for it, but I got in a trade where I had the fun of completing someone else's want lists from a few series.  I have it in a page with an original OS3 sticker in the center, and the chrome variations in the other 8 pockets.
That's a good way to go! It would be fun to have one, but I'm not gonna shell out big bucks. Trading is another matter!!

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 09:11:40 AM »
I wonder how many "kids" purchased one at Target, etc.... and have NO clue what they have.....???

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 05:28:00 PM »
I wonder how many "kids" purchased one at Target, etc.... and have NO clue what they have.....???

I'm thinking maybe 0. Seems like other greedy fingers have them picked over before the kids can get to them.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 04:52:51 AM »
Did you keep a list of the titles that appeared on ebay last year?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 03:46:55 AM »
I recall seeing Cracked Animals as well.

Offline quas

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 04:59:11 AM »
Also Maddie Boy.
Marc

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2015, 10:53:21 AM »
If anyone here has the cracked animals super refractor and wants to sell - please PM me!
Alex

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2015, 02:16:50 AM »

That one sold on ebay right?

Yep, Cracked Animals was on ebay last year.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2015, 05:27:28 AM »
Yep, Cracked Animals was on ebay last year.

what did it sell for??

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2015, 06:12:37 AM »
what did it sell for??

The Cracked Animals superfractor was listed July 23, 2014 at $1999.99, but ebay shows "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."  So, no way to tell what it went for.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 06:17:55 AM by RawGoo »

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2015, 07:29:32 PM »
The Cracked Animals superfractor was listed July 23, 2014 at $1999.99, but ebay shows "This listing was ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing."  So, no way to tell what it went for.

If I recall, it then went to $800.00 in a relisting. Then it went lower even, I believe to $500-600. A

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2015, 09:32:33 AM »
Based on us now being in March I will speculate that the next WP Chrome SF will pull at least $800.

Too much time has passed since one was listed. There have to be some new people who have decided in that space of time that they wish to own one, and they have had the time to accumulate the funds to buy one. The next one listed should be fun to watch.

For $800, I'd likely part with mine.  But, the page of 9 versions of the title really does display nicely.  Did you start trying to acquire the gold, etc of your superfractor title?  Was it Brittle?

Offline quas

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2015, 03:04:56 PM »
I decided not to pursue all versions of the Brittle title. I figure I have examples of each type of chrome card so that will be all for now. I think if I came upon a Gold Brittle card with a good buy it now I would grab it; but no plans on the nine page complete variation set you put together, even though that is a sweet set. I have the SF display in a lucite protecto by itself for now. I would prefer not to put it in a binder at present.

If you would sell yours for $800 than put it on the bay with an $800 buy it now and see what happens. I think now you can list for free with high Buy it nows.

Of course then Raw Goo doesn't get $800.  After ebay fees it's $720, and after both ebay and paypal fees it's $696.50, if I did the math correctly.
Marc

Offline vahsurfer

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 04:53:35 PM »
I would hope even if they are keeping it for themselves they would at least share with us!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 09:24:28 PM »
I would hope even if they are keeping it for themselves they would at least share with us!

I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't think these sold as well as they thought. I think original series reprints have become totally over produced. So we put up with it because of the chase stuff but the cards are swill.

I collected a lot of ANS and OLDS and it was fun having Wackys again but now they are reproducing OS too much with Flashback and Chrome. Also, now new ANS are repeat titles from the other ANS series. It's now getting stupid. I won't even buy the new ANS series as I've seen all I want to see in the promo pics. OLDS 5 is a fun series but the sketch characters are horrible and that is why they have been trying to sell boxes/cases at half price. Almost every wacky character sketch has been done now. Sketches are cool but with anything Topps does they run it until it's dead.

Offline WPcollector

« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2015, 03:35:31 AM »
I wouldn't hold my breath. I don't think these sold as well as they thought. I think original series reprints have become totally over produced. So we put up with it because of the chase stuff but the cards are swill.

I collected a lot of ANS and OLDS and it was fun having Wackys again but now they are reproducing OS too much with Flashback and Chrome. Also, now new ANS are repeat titles from the other ANS series. It's now getting stupid. I won't even buy the new ANS series as I've seen all I want to see in the promo pics. OLDS 5 is a fun series but the sketch characters are horrible and that is why they have been trying to sell boxes/cases at half price. Almost every wacky character sketch has been done now. Sketches are cool but with anything Topps does they run it until it's dead.

I would agree with that 100%. Seems they are milking it for all its worth and they seem to be squeezing out the last remaining squirts at this point, not just with WP's but elsewhere with the Mars Attacks and with Garbage Pail Kids too. I think the Dinosaurs Attacks line will be next to get this treatment. I picked up some of the earliest wacky packages sets a few years back solely for the art but i wouldn't do it again seeing as how the same pieces are just being released again on a new cardstock or with a different colored border. Might as well wait for rock bottom prices once the market collapses then to pay premium for supposed investment value. I have only seen prices plummet since 2010 in every topps product that's been released. I don't personally collect the sketches so they don't draw me in. Now adays i just pick up a base set and a few parallel sets on ebay and call it a day. I hardly ever go for bonus or promo cards and it hardly ever entices me to purchase a "limited" item, instead i simply opt out and dismiss it all together. Kind of like this wacky packages chrome set. The chrome treatment was cool, but the art doesn't stand out and/or enhance it any. The old cards still win out in a matchup vs chrome any day of the week.

looks like most of the supers are still  sitting in unopened boxes somewhere not be reopened again until the next anniversary in 15 years or so from now. Prices have been dipping on these things anyways. gpk supers went from 500 to 1000 and then back down to 750, 500 and now 350. So that would explain why people aren't selling them, although if their true intention was to profit, they missed that opportunity months ago already.  I only saw the wp chrome packs in stores for a very short amount of time and noone was buying them so that probably explains why they cancelled any follow up set.

Old5 was a cool set but as you said how many of the same characters can they sketch out before it gets stale for collectors. The one positive for collectors is how good artists are becoming at their craft as sketches are only getting better and better in most sets. A silver lining in an otherwise stale hobby. Luckily the artists will still be around for commissions long after the last sets sell!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 03:45:47 AM by WPcollector »

Offline WPcollector

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2015, 05:20:34 AM »
I would think a WP SF would go for a good amount if listed today. Not $350.  Prob $700.  I don't think they "canceled" a followup Chrome set. They just have not done one as of yet. I think chrome sold reasonably well.

Looking around on this forum and elsewhere and looking at overall interest for wp chrome, i beg to differ. But im sure with your constant enthusiasm, topps chrome series 2 should be right around the corner!

oh hmmm interesting, there is basically one wp chrome card being sold on ebay per day on average.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=wacky+packages+chrome&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

Doesn't seem to be doing too well on the secondary market. Don't really see why they'd release a 2nd series if dealers know there's minimal interest right?

Do you have access to any sales stats?

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2015, 08:05:45 AM »
oh hmmm interesting, there is basically one wp chrome card being sold on ebay per day on average.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=wacky+packages+chrome&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc
Not that I'm taking sides with anyone on this topic (as I, too, don't think Chrome has any more life in it), but in all fairness to DrDeal, your claim is inaccurate. The time frame being shown is 90 days, not 1 year, so the 360+ Chrome items sold is more like 4 per day. Granted, this is still not huge (IMO), but is better than what you're making it out to be. Just sayin'.

Offline WPcollector

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2015, 10:46:25 AM »
Not that I'm taking sides with anyone on this topic (as I, too, don't think Chrome has any more life in it), but in all fairness to DrDeal, your claim is inaccurate. The time frame being shown is 90 days, not 1 year, so the 360+ Chrome items sold is more like 4 per day. Granted, this is still not huge (IMO), but is better than what you're making it out to be. Just sayin'.

Well that's going to be the average after 360 days...  at the current pace... just sayin

Quote from: drdeal
resale prices on Chrome sealed boxes seem to be stable. This would seem to indicate that people continue to pay close to what the boxes sold for when released
~

the last hobby box sold in march, it's now almost june.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPS-2014-WACKY-PACKAGES-CHROME-Trading-Cards-HOBBY-BOX-NEW-Collectors-Sealed-/191546734841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c991338f9

i understand your point of view but distributors are not having an easy go at unloading this product. It will take a firesale for them to move.
http://www.dacardworld.com/entertainment/wacky-packages-value-pack-bulk-case-108-value-packs-topps-2014

i think a traditional set like os6 would fare better than a second chrome product would you not agree?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2015, 04:25:31 PM »
Well that's going to be the average after 360 days...  at the current pace... just sayin
~

the last hobby box sold in march, it's now almost june.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPPS-2014-WACKY-PACKAGES-CHROME-Trading-Cards-HOBBY-BOX-NEW-Collectors-Sealed-/191546734841?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c991338f9

i understand your point of view but distributors are not having an easy go at unloading this product. It will take a firesale for them to move.
http://www.dacardworld.com/entertainment/wacky-packages-value-pack-bulk-case-108-value-packs-topps-2014

i think a traditional set like os6 would fare better than a second chrome product would you not agree?

There are also private sales, such as are advertised here. 

I would support a new Wacky chrome release IF we were guaranteed that they were going to go through series 16.  That being said, given a choice, I'd rather have Old School and postcards.

Offline quas

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2015, 04:56:53 AM »
There are also private sales, such as are advertised here. 

I would support a new Wacky chrome release IF we were guaranteed that they were going to go through series 16.  That being said, given a choice, I'd rather have Old School and postcards.

Maybe we can convince Kristin to change the words to "I Want Chrome for Christmas" and sing it to Topps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUsCdktQh7E
Marc

Offline Choke_Wagon

• Yeeeeeeeee-ha!
« Reply #32 on: August 27, 2015, 08:57:13 AM »
It was nice to see Norm Saunders classics on Chrome. But I would rather focus on Chromes done for newer ANS. I was glad to part was with my Super and make someone else happy which in return made me happy to get lots in return too.

Offline lucidjc

« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2015, 03:18:17 PM »
Oct now and no Superfractors. Starting to think they will NEVER surface. Strange. Still digging my Brittle card. Who knew last Nov. that would be it in terms of new ones showing up.

How many were made?

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2015, 03:52:15 AM »
I think 1 for each of the 105 base cards.

I think it was actually one for each of the 110 numbered base cards, including the three checklists.

anything