Author Topic: Forum Upgrade - Sorry  (Read 8622 times)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Forum Upgrade - Sorry
« on: November 14, 2014, 09:11:59 PM »
Everyone,
I feel really bad. I upgraded the forum tonight from release 1 to release 2. I did it because of a couple reasons; one, we were having issues uploading an avatar. I'm not sure it's version related but I have read some things about it. The second is that SMF (forum software) was about to get sunsetted soon. Release 2 has a ton of new mods that we couldn't take advantage of before but will soon. Basically I needed to do this sooner than later.

I did the upgrade tonight at 4PM MST and it went really smooth. Then right before 5PM I decided to add a mod for eBay listing. It totally bombed the site. I had no idea what happened and couldn't fix it. I had to put in a ticket to my hosting provider. 2 hours later he said I changed some permissions that would affect the site so he changed them for me. I then proceeded to do the upgrade again and it worked! Just now. I'm done. No mods or forum themes though. Not yet anyway.

So now what's next? - I have to get the mods we had back in place. I'm a bit scared so I won't do any tonight. I'll wait for a response to find out what permissions were changed and what I need to do to fix them if this happens again.

The forum theme has completely changed and I'm hoping to change it to something that is like we had before. change is sometimes good but I want to keep it somewhat similar. It's really different now.

Hopefully everything still works the same but looks different. I may have lost some posts from this afternoon and that I feel really sorry. My thinking now, after going through all this, is I'm happy i didn't lose the whole forum. I made backups of everything around 2 PM MT today.

Now after all this pain I need to see if I can upload an avatar? HaHa. You might think this as trivial to changing the forum and leaving it down for 5 hours but that's what drives me. I want it to be perfect.

Thanks everyone.
Brad

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
Re: Forum Upgrade - Sorry
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 09:15:32 PM »
I just tried to upload an avatar that didn't work for Pat and Joe G. It now works. It's a good sign of things to come. Now I need to figure out how to upload mods without blowing up the forum.

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 09:21:11 PM »
One very noticeable difference is that the main listing of posts lists every reply, rather than just one listing per topic. That isn't good.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2014, 09:47:14 PM »
One very noticeable difference is that the main listing of posts lists every reply, rather than just one listing per topic. That isn't good.

That was actually a mod so the user can decide their preference. I will try and re-establish that again but I need to mess around with the mod setting first. Shouldn't be too long.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014, 05:47:55 AM »
Thanks for keeping the Forum going Brad, it's a lot of effort but much appreciated.

Online Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014, 06:02:29 AM »
same here. thanks for all the work and effort!

I've been there before - adding that one more item to a program or even a simple word document, that in some bizarre way totally corrupts the entire thing. can be very frustrating and time consuming to recover.

Offline Campy

• work in progress
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014, 06:23:02 AM »

Thanks Brad!  I think for those of us that are on here almost daily we tend to take it for granted. we just assume that it is just here and it works, so thanks for all your effort and the updates!! :great:

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014, 06:42:26 AM »
                                                     PERFECT....... JUST LIKE YOUR HERO...........................................COACH BELICHICK
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2014, 07:03:41 AM »
Thank you so much Brad for all your effort -- it is truly appreciated!  :-* For new forum members I'm female, so a smooch isn't as weird as it might look! And very much deserved!!   

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2014, 07:05:21 AM »
One thing I've already noticed that's better. The preview function -- to see your posts before you submitted them -- wasn't working before.  Now, perfect!

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2014, 07:22:39 AM »
Brad,

Thanks for maintaining this Wacky Alternate World!!!!  Life would not be a sweet without.   ;)

Andrew

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2014, 07:46:33 AM »
The preview function -- to see your posts before you submitted them -- wasn't working before.  Now, perfect!
Really? It's been working fine for me. I preview a lot of my posts and never noticed an issue

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2014, 07:58:18 AM »
Something also changed with security, and spammers have been getting in this morning.  Think I got them all, and only a few managed to post.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 08:41:04 AM by RawGoo »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 09:44:09 AM »
Something also changed with security, and spammers have been getting in this morning.  Think I got them all, and only a few managed to post.

That was a mod. I need to get that fixed ASAP. Also I don't know why the SimpleMachines logo is on the top right. That needs to go also. So far when I've installed a mod the permissions on the forum get changed. I've asked support 4 times and all they do is come back and tell me the permissions were changed and they fixed it. All I need to know is what permissions to change so I can test installing mods without blowing up the forum again. It's been a frustrating night. Thanks all for the kind words.

Offline Joe G.

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 10:45:34 AM »
I just tried to upload an avatar that didn't work for Pat and Joe G. It now works. It's a good sign of things to come. Now I need to figure out how to upload mods without blowing up the forum.

Brad, thanks so much!  It looks great and the new forum layout isn't bad, you might even consider keeping it.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 12:18:32 PM »
It's a shame I have to scroll thru all the old posts just to get to the new ones. What happened to the settting where I could read only unread posts? Or am I missing something?

Offline Alexeirex

« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2014, 12:31:52 PM »

My new avatar, which before only showed up on my phone oddly enough, is now visible on my computer access to your site. So that part is working!
I was going to change my avatar every day leading up to halloween but couldn't figure out why it didn't work completely, while I noticed others able to seemingly change their avatars weekly and at will!
Alex

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 12:32:17 PM »
It's a shame I have to scroll thru all the old posts just to get to the new ones. What happened to the settting where I could read only unread posts? Or am I missing something?

That's not happening to me but, settings got changed, and mods to allow customization seem to have been eliminated for the moment.  Hopefully all will back to Wacky Normal soon.

Offline Ruffs

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 12:34:37 PM »
Get em Pat, get em all

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2014, 01:00:28 PM »
Try this.  There is a very small arrow in the very upper right hand corner of the screen.  To the right of the wacky montage.  If you click on that you'll see Hello Ratchet007. And the words Show Unread Posts Since Your Last Visit.  If you click those words, you get a screen showing all the threads with posts you haven't read yet.

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2014, 01:03:30 PM »
One thing I do like since the change... when you go to the HOME page, the Recent Posts list is longer than I previously saw. I think this is a good thing.
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2014, 01:16:47 PM »
Try this.  There is a very small arrow in the very upper right hand corner of the screen.  To the right of the wacky montage.  If you click on that you'll see Hello Ratchet007. And the words Show Unread Posts Since Your Last Visit.  If you click those words, you get a screen showing all the threads with posts you haven't read yet.
Huh. Never noticed that arrow top right. Mine is always pointing up, and my avatar is always showing.
Good to know I can hide it, but then I'd also lose the "show unread" option. Which I use *all* the time.

Offline deadpresidentsvisa

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2014, 02:56:41 PM »
                                                                                 THESE PRETZELS ARE MAKING ME THIRSTY
"DID YOU TRY MONKEYING WITH IT" FROM *THE HOT ROCK*....ROBERT REDFORD...ZERO MOSTEL

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2014, 04:11:53 PM »
Guys, For some reason I'm now able to add mods. Really strange but it now works. I will get everything cleaned up soon. At the present time I'm going to leave the forum theme as is. We can take a look at that later.

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2014, 05:15:39 AM »
this morning I was posting a reply in the Space Stuff thread - tried 3 times - and all three times got a 'database error' message, and that the post wasn't made. "Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator."

but, when I went to check the thread, all three posts were actually there (i deleted the dupes)

even this post was getting the same error message, and when I sent you a PM about the message, got the same response there as well
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 05:19:44 AM by Fanatical_and_Sickly »

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 05:22:16 AM »
this morning I was posting a reply in the Space Stuff thread - tried 3 times - and all three times got a 'database error' message, and that the post wasn't made. "Please try again. If you come back to this error screen, report the error to an administrator."

but, when I went to check the thread, all three posts were actually there (i deleted the dupes)

even this post was getting the same error message, and when I sent you a PM about the message, got the same response there as well

I have been seeing the same thing on a quote or reply since the changes yesterday. Not a show stopper but a little annoying.

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 05:38:03 AM »

Same here should have left it the old way!!!

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2014, 09:24:44 AM »
Same here should have left it the old way!!!

Still working out the kinks.

Offline sco(o)t

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2014, 11:42:51 AM »
Brad, Just so not all you are hearing is bad news... I received my first PM message a little while ago. I like that you can elect to open that in a different window whereas before it used the same window. Makes it easier to continue referencing a post while doing some PM work without having to open another session and get back to the place you want to be/see.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2014, 01:34:05 PM »
Why when I click on Show Unread Posts Since Last Visit does it always take me to Page 1 post #1? Even if there are 42 pages of posts that I already read at some point in the past. Seems no matter what I do it always takes me to Page 1 post 1.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2014, 01:59:33 PM »
Why when I click on Show Unread Posts Since Last Visit does it always take me to Page 1 post #1? Even if there are 42 pages of posts that I already read at some point in the past. Seems no matter what I do it always takes me to Page 1 post 1.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
That's so weird Brian.  Working fine for me. Are you Mac or PC?  And what browser are you using?

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2014, 02:59:19 PM »
PC using Google. Never had any problems until the "upgrade".

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2014, 03:47:45 PM »
PC using Google. Never had any problems until the "upgrade".

You have to hit the new icon. That has never changed

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2014, 04:08:26 PM »
Working fine for me. Are you Mac or PC?  And what browser are you using?
that link works fine for me as well.
both safari and chrome. on a mac.

Offline ratchet007

« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2014, 04:11:16 PM »
OK Now I feel REALLY stupid.  :-[   :-[

anything