Author Topic: Fall Allentown Show (Philly) on Oct 18th/19th.  (Read 15976 times)

Offline Hustler08

• I Hustle for Wacky Packs!!!
Re: Fall Allentown Show (Philly) on Oct 18th/19th.
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2014, 07:37:01 AM »
I wouldn't count on that (sadly - where is Mike Jaspersen when we need him?  :'(), and it's an unknown, but it would just be good to see everyone together - it's been a long time since we've had a really super Wacky folks turnout...

ok...an other than-Orange box???? :P :P :P :P :P

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2014, 08:35:01 AM »
Yea...as long as Topps shows up with some kick-ass Wacky promos...

I agree with Marc, It's more than a Wacky promo card, It's an opportunity for collectors to get together for a day, get some lunch, have a trading session at a table, etc.

Offline quas

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2014, 09:14:55 AM »

I agree with Marc, It's more than a Wacky promo card, It's an opportunity for collectors to get together for a day, get some lunch, have a trading session at a table, etc.

Yes, an opportunity for face to face interaction (as opposed to Facebook to Facebook interaction).
Marc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2014, 09:34:35 AM »
It's always fun with whatever collectors are around, but the sad reality is, if you look at the photo from Greg's house in 2005, you'll realize how many long term collectors are not active anymore, or at least indifferent.

Offline quas

« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2014, 09:35:34 AM »
It's always fun with whatever collectors are around, but the sad reality is, if you look at the photo from Greg's house in 2005, you'll realize how many long term collectors are not active anymore, or at least indifferent.

Sad indeed...  :sad:
Marc

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2014, 10:26:44 AM »

Yes, an opportunity for face to face interaction (as opposed to Facebook to Facebook interaction).

I agree. Meeting face to face with collectors means a whole lot more. With that in mind, it's my new goal to make it to an Allentown show soon!

Offline quas

« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2014, 10:32:32 AM »
I agree. Meeting face to face with collectors means a whole lot more. With that in mind, it's my new goal to make it to an Allentown show soon!

Hopefully "soon" means May 2, 2015!   ;)
Marc

Offline koduck

• Administrator
  • Make it snappy!
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2014, 11:12:24 AM »
Hopefully "soon" means May 2, 2015!   ;)

hopefully, you're right ;)

Offline drono

« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2014, 02:42:38 PM »

For me, Topps has a lot to do with that.  I have no desire to spend the big $$$ needed to get every back variation, subset, sketch, insert card, etc.  It's just not a priority for me.  I'm also not happy that you can't purchase some items like uncut sheets without buying boxes and boxes of cards and hoping to find an insert -- or bidding on one from eBay.  I understand the marketing strategy behind the insert cards, but it has long been my opinion that the hobby of collecting any type of cards will die if they can't get kids involved.  We bought 'em because our $1 allowance would buy us about 20 packs, and even though they only had 2 cards and a checklist, we had fun opening them, and we could get enough for a complete set through trading in a week or two.  The prices today are just too expensive for the kids, so they buy something else.  I really can't blame them.  

Look at the plethora of emails Topps sends out now.  $99 items that are limited to 99 items.  It appears to me that they've "jumped the shark" and this is a last ditch effort to stay relevant.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 02:46:20 PM by drono »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2014, 03:15:35 PM »
Though likely stating the obvious, I think this is just a result of time and, like drono said, Topps' take on Wackys. Back in 2005, ANS was really all-new, the series was simple and good. It was nothing fancy and we were all pretty excited about what the future held for the hobby, as Topps resurrected it. IMO, after several series went by and especially after all the sketch cards and border colors and other variations came into play, interest waned. At least, for some of us, me included. Like Dave and others here, I still much prefer vintage items. Even the early ANS didn't excite me too much...but, they were Wackys, so I kept up and collected what I felt was reasonable. The other piece of this puzzle is, of course, that we are human and tend to concentrate on different things at different times in our lives. I suspect quite a few of the folks in that group photo have simply moved on from Wackys...or at least have lowered them on their priority list.

Back on topic, it would be great to have an ensemble of collectors like we had in 2005....but I just doubt that synergy or those days will be back anytime soon.

Offline quas

« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2014, 08:04:46 PM »
Though likely stating the obvious, I think this is just a result of time and, like drono said, Topps' take on Wackys. Back in 2005, ANS was really all-new, the series was simple and good. It was nothing fancy and we were all pretty excited about what the future held for the hobby, as Topps resurrected it. IMO, after several series went by and especially after all the sketch cards and border colors and other variations came into play, interest waned. At least, for some of us, me included. Like Dave and others here, I still much prefer vintage items. Even the early ANS didn't excite me too much...but, they were Wackys, so I kept up and collected what I felt was reasonable. The other piece of this puzzle is, of course, that we are human and tend to concentrate on different things at different times in our lives. I suspect quite a few of the folks in that group photo have simply moved on from Wackys...or at least have lowered them on their priority list.

Back on topic, it would be great to have an ensemble of collectors like we had in 2005....but I just doubt that synergy or those days will be back anytime soon.

All good points about Topps and priority lists.  I'm just looking to see if we can translate some of the Forum energy we all feel when discussing the latest and greatest new issue, even with all its flaws like too many back variations and too many chase cards, into something more personal and in person on a day months away that we can all calendarize now and make a commitment to (barring emergencies), assuming a reasonable geographic proximity.  Maybe that nucleus of people pledging to attend the show would even be enough to draw others from outside the area as well.  Not something we could or would even want to keep up show after show, but maybe once every few years there could be a real effort made to get all of us together at the show.  I am just suggesting May 2, 2005 as the first such date.
Marc

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2014, 06:43:36 AM »
The other piece of this puzzle is, of course, that we are human and tend to concentrate on different things at different times in our lives. I suspect quite a few of the folks in that group photo have simply moved on from Wackys...or at least have lowered them on their priority list.

This is an area where certain of my personality disorders come into play. I derive some sick pleasure from working at the same things for decades on end. I can't imagine I'll ever stop trying to upgrade my wackys, but I realize I'm a little unusual in this regard.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2014, 11:36:36 AM »

This is an area where certain of my personality disorders come into play.

Instead of “personality disorder”, I’d rather we call it, “what makes us special”       :sunny:

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2014, 12:41:54 PM »

Very true indeed Dave, Whoever does show up for the spring or fall shows is a very welcome sight, But let's be honest, I can recall as many as 20 or 25 showing up for both shows in the past and alas I believe those days are gone as well.

Offline DrDeal

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2014, 02:29:24 PM »
Instead of “personality disorder”, I’d rather we call it, “what makes us special”       :sunny:

We are all a little "Wacky"  ;)

Offline drono

« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2014, 07:25:25 PM »
Maybe that nucleus of people pledging to attend the show would even be enough to draw others from outside the area as well.  Not something we could or would even want to keep up show after show, but maybe once every few years there could be a real effort made to get all of us together at the show.  I am just suggesting May 2, 2005 as the first such date.

I was interested in attending this year, but my son plays high school football, and I refuse to miss his games.  He's a senior now and won't be playing in college, so I could be interested in the future.  However, after hearing how few vintage wackys were available at the last show, I would probably pass.  I remember my first Philly show where I spent about $400 and picked up all of the variation die cuts (except for Ratz and Jolly) and completed the rest of my original series sets.  Now, I'm down to just long perf ads, 1st tans and luds, 2nd luds, 2nd OPC, 3rd white, and 14th tri-fold, so I would've loved to see Dave Gross's table.  These don't appear very often on eBay or they're listed for more than I'm willing to pay.  I'm not into having that perfect 10 card either, so I won't pay for graded items.  These days  I typically just buy a "master set" of the latest releases from eBay and an unopened box from Topps.  For me, the new stuff just isn't the same as when I collected them as a kid.  I typically buy 'em, stick 'em in an album, and never look at them again.  I'm not sure why I continue other than being a little "wacky."

Offline quas

« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2014, 09:50:40 PM »
I was interested in attending this year, but my son plays high school football, and I refuse to miss his games.  He's a senior now and won't be playing in college, so I could be interested in the future.  However, after hearing how few vintage wackys were available at the last show, I would probably pass.  I remember my first Philly show where I spent about $400 and picked up all of the variation die cuts (except for Ratz and Jolly) and completed the rest of my original series sets.  Now, I'm down to just long perf ads, 1st tans and luds, 2nd luds, 2nd OPC, 3rd white, and 14th tri-fold, so I would've loved to see Dave Gross's table.  These don't appear very often on eBay or they're listed for more than I'm willing to pay.  I'm not into having that perfect 10 card either, so I won't pay for graded items.  These days  I typically just buy a "master set" of the latest releases from eBay and an unopened box from Topps.  For me, the new stuff just isn't the same as when I collected them as a kid.  I typically buy 'em, stick 'em in an album, and never look at them again.  I'm not sure why I continue other than being a little "wacky."

Did you mean Dan McKee, not Dave Gross? :)
Marc

Offline drono

« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2014, 05:20:49 AM »
Yes, I meant Dan McKee.  I should've gone back and read the post.

Offline 70s_Kid

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2014, 04:05:17 AM »

The only dealer that had a lot of really cool Wacky items was Dan M. from MD. He had 1st tans, 1st Luds, 2nd Luds, Band-Ache, Run Tony, Spit/Spill, Bum Chex, Choke Wagon, Grime(Heavy), and Pupsi-Cola, ETC.

What kind of prices was he asking?  I remember his prices being a bit high back in the day

Offline Pupsi-Cola

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2014, 01:57:07 PM »

What kind of prices was he asking?  I remember his prices being a bit high back in the day

Trust me his prices are still high today, But at least he has the stuff.

Offline paste_anyplace

• is just this guy, you know?
    • Fred Wheaton's home page at hipsteria.com
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2014, 11:22:47 PM »

anything