Author Topic: Wacky Packages Shedd's Peanut Butter Pail  (Read 10390 times)

Offline Oldcoffinnail

Wacky Packages Shedd's Peanut Butter Pail
« on: October 08, 2014, 05:49:29 PM »
I just recently found a 1977 Shedd's peanut Butter Pail with Wacky Packages offer on the pail and lid, My last one sold for quite a bit, I've been out of the non-sports card game for quite some time, so I'm curious if anyone knows a current market value on this piece.  Thanks

Offline bigtomi

Re: Wacky Packages Shedd's Peanut Butter Pail
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 06:10:28 PM »
Oh, no!! Really? It looks like there's a Shedd's pail variation. Mine (which is lidless) says "Free Wacky Pack Inside". This one shows "2 Free Wacky Packs Inside". Is this something we already knew about? or cared about, lol?

Offline Fanatical_and_Sickly

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 06:56:47 PM »
Oh, no!! Really? It looks like there's a Shedd's pail variation. Mine (which is lidless) says "Free Wacky Pack Inside". This one shows "2 Free Wacky Packs Inside". Is this something we already knew about? or cared about, lol?
This is the pail I recall from way back when. Two in a pack. We went through five pails during the promotion period and had ten cards in the end

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 01:59:51 AM »
This is the pail I recall from way back when. Two in a pack. We went through five pails during the promotion period and had ten cards in the end

Wow!  How long was the promotion that you managed to go through 25 pounds of peanut butter?  Did you have a triple bonus of having Wackys in Wonderbread? 

The pail itself is pretty cool!  Although I've heard about the Shedd's stickers, I don't think I've ever seen a pail posted before.

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 05:24:47 AM »
Wow!  How long was the promotion that you managed to go through 25 pounds of peanut butter?  Did you have a triple bonus of having Wackys in Wonderbread? 
4 boys, in the 9-14 yr old range, will go through a LOT of PB & J's in a short amount of time  ;)
it was probably across 2-3 months? but don't know for sure

Offline Paul_Maul

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 09:10:50 AM »
Makes perfect sense there would be two versions since unopened Shedds packs with both one and two cards have turned up.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 11:18:07 AM »
You wonder why someone would keep an old peanut butter pail for so many years. Did it store nails or something?

Offline Oldcoffinnail

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 02:11:42 PM »
You have to ask yourself why anyone would save a lot of things for so many years.  I collect old food boxes and its surprising what you will find in someones estate. 

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 04:55:15 PM »
It looks like there's a Shedd's pail variation.
Well, no mystery here. They used two different sized pails with this promotion. The above is the 5 lb./2 sticker version and mine (below) is the 3 lb./1 sticker version. Wonder if there was a third...(unlikely, I'd say).

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2014, 05:41:49 PM »
Well, no mystery here. They used two different sized pails with this promotion. The above is the 5 lb./2 sticker version and mine (below) is the 3 lb./1 sticker version. Wonder if there was a third...(unlikely, I'd say).

the 1 lb/no sticker version?  ;)

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 05:58:26 PM »

chuckle... perhaps the Costco/Sam's Club 55 gallon drum with 10 stickers.   :]
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)

Offline Liptorn

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2014, 06:54:25 PM »

Tom, yours looks super clean. Doesn't look like there is any flaking of the letters.

Offline Monsterettes

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2014, 07:26:33 PM »
Tom, yours looks super clean. Doesn't look like there is any flaking of the letters.
Indeed, that's a thing of beauty.  You got wacky packages in my peanut butter! You got peanut butter in my wacky packages!  Two great tastes that go great together...

Offline Oldcoffinnail

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2014, 11:33:28 PM »
So, back to my original question, does anyone have a guess on what this piece is worth, I sold one, without a lid, about 4 years ago, for around 400.00-450.00 as an auction price.  I don't remember the size of the piece, but I believe it was a 5 lb container.  Any help would be appreciated.

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2014, 07:41:52 PM »
chuckle... perhaps the Costco/Sam's Club 55 gallon drum with 10 stickers.   :]
LOL. I think the 55 gallon drum would have a complete set.  :P

But, to address the original question: this one definitely has some condition issues, but it does have its lid. My guess is that it'd be worth ~$200-$250.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 07:50:43 PM by bigtomi »

Offline bigtomi

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 08:05:35 PM »
Quote from: Liptorn
Quote from: Monsterettes
Indeed, that's a thing of beauty.  You got wacky packages in my peanut butter! You got peanut butter in my wacky packages!  Two great tastes that go great together...

Thanks, Willie and Elizabeth. It really is in excellent shape, quite close to new...just no lid.

nor peanut butter.

nor Wacky Pack.