Author Topic: Old School 2 Wacky Packs  (Read 20219 times)

Offline NEZHEAD42

Old School 2 Wacky Packs
« on: June 11, 2010, 06:52:50 AM »
Since there is a history of Topps using Wacky Packs to parody themselves (Planet of the Grapes, Kong Fu, Wormy Packages, etc.), I was thinking that it would be cool if the next Old School series had a sticker based on the Star Wars cards that came out in 1977-1978. It would fit the OS timeline nicely.

Anyone else have any suggestions for Old School 2.
"What's the point of being grown up, if you can't act childish?" - Doctor Who

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
Re: Old School 2 Wacky Packs
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 10:09:09 AM »
Since there is a history of Topps using Wacky Packs to parody themselves (Planet of the Grapes, Kong Fu, Wormy Packages, etc.), I was thinking that it would be cool if the next Old School series had a sticker based on the Star Wars cards that came out in 1977-1978. It would fit the OS timeline nicely.

A Star Wars Wacky would be awesome!  Unfortunately, I think Topps is skittish about Lucasfilm, especially since they are still prodicung Star Wars cards.  Maybe they'd go for one of their other non-sports sets from then, though.  There are a lot to choose from.

Space Food sticks is something I remember from back then.  And I think a bunch of us have requested a Marathon Bar Wacky.  Count Chockula, Boo Berry, and Kaboom were also mentioned.  One other idea I had was a Dynamites Magazine Wacky - that would really bring back the memories!  I had always hoped someday to get a special Wacky sticker in one of those issues.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 03:44:32 PM »
A Star Wars Wacky would be awesome!  Unfortunately, I think Topps is skittish about Lucasfilm, especially since they are still prodicung Star Wars cards.  Maybe they'd go for one of their other non-sports sets from then, though.  There are a lot to choose from.

Space Food sticks is something I remember from back then.  And I think a bunch of us have requested a Marathon Bar Wacky.  Count Chockula, Boo Berry, and Kaboom were also mentioned.  One other idea I had was a Dynamites Magazine Wacky - that would really bring back the memories!  I had always hoped someday to get a special Wacky sticker in one of those issues.

OMG! I was just talking yesterday about Space Food Sticks with my wife (who has never heard of them). I haven't spoken of them in about 5 years and then the next day you bring them up. That's awesome! I loved Space Food Sticks. My mom got them for me all the time. They were a perfect snack. I wish they still made them. No one I know remembers them. I talk about them and everyone says "What?".

Also yesterday, I discussed Dynamite Magazine and Marathon Bars with a friend of mine. WTF? RawGoo get out of my brain! haha. I do think all those suggestions would be great for the Old School series. Anyone remember Pizzazz magazine?

Offline Gurgle

• recommends zircon-encrusted tweezers
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 05:59:56 PM »

Nezhead, any chance you could pick a different avatar? There's already a Hipton on the forum and I find myself getting confused.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 07:39:37 PM »
Nezhead, any chance you could pick a different avatar? There's already a Hipton on the forum and I find myself getting confused.
I'm often confused myself. Plus, I keep thinking Cheryl is posting when I see the Hipton avatar.

Offline dth1971

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:41:16 PM »
I hope Old School 2 has take offs on:
Dolly Madison Zingers
Snoopy Toothbrush
Frostie Root Beer
Kellogg's Jumbo Assortment
The Price is Right home game (1970's version)

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 12:43:49 AM »
Quote from: DrSushi link=topic=370.msg7905#msg7905 date=
I'm often confused myself. Plus, I keep thinking Cheryl is posting when I see the Hipton avatar.

I don't think Cheryl is on our forum so I guess it doesn't matter. That is her prerogative. I wish she was here to chime in

Taz

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 06:23:52 AM »
I don't think Cheryl is on our forum so I guess it doesn't matter. That is her prerogative. I wish she was here to chime in

Cheryl is here, she's registered as member "Hipton" on this forum.

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 06:36:09 AM »

If Cheryl has Hipton (which I am sure she does), NEZHEAD42 needs to pick another avatar to avoid confusion (IMHO).
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 09:01:26 AM »
Due to the requests, I have changed my avatar. I hope this new one will not confuse or offend anyone.

Offline Duznt

• - John K -
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 10:09:40 AM »
Due to the requests, I have changed my avatar. I hope this new one will not confuse or offend anyone.

Funny avatar!  :]

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 10:10:27 AM »

I think the new Avatar is funny as hell.

Offline DrSushi

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 10:45:02 AM »
Awesome avatar. I may still be confused by it - but in a good way.

Offline 1980Phils

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 01:57:28 PM »

Just some ideas: Grease, Space 1999 (Donruss issue), Hysterical History (a parody of a parody?), Saturday Night Fever (Donruss), Superman, Moonraker, King Kong, Seargent Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band (Donruss).

But I agree, Star Wars would be the best one to do.

Offline Plan 9

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2010, 02:38:38 PM »
Love the avatar!!

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2010, 06:05:25 PM »
I thought of two more. Both are cereals from the 1970's. Freakies (who live in the freaky tree) and Grins & Smiles & Giggles & Laughs.

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2010, 06:08:46 PM »
I found a pic of the Space Food Sticks that were mentioned earlier.

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2010, 11:43:30 PM »
I found a pic of the Space Food Sticks that were mentioned earlier.

Those are the ones I was trying to think of. My mother  bought a box and they sucked! So much for 70's hype. They were awful. I am surprised anyone could find an example of thesse.

Offline RawGoo

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 01:03:24 AM »
Those are the ones I was trying to think of. My mother  bought a box and they sucked! So much for 70's hype. They were awful. I am surprised anyone could find an example of thesse.
I loved Space Food Sticks!  Finding one in my Hong Kong Phooey lunchbox would just make my day.

They're available again (online), in peanut butter and chocolate, I wonder if I'd still like them.......  free shipping on Amazon, perhaps I'll give it a try.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 01:05:09 AM by RawGoo »

Offline BumChex

• Wacky Packages Forum
  • Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 08:01:10 PM »

I don't think that is Cheryl. The IP is registered to NJ.

Taz

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 08:51:25 PM »
I don't think that is Cheryl. The IP is registered to NJ.

Is Cheryl's last name Sweppy, if so that is the given email address for member Hipton.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 12:35:57 PM »
I'd like to see a good Ouija Board parody.
[expando]http://www.blogcdn.com/www.horrorsquad.com/media/2009/11/ouija-board.jpg[/expando]
I spent many hours as a kid trying to get mine to work.

Offline Dr Popper

• Non-Wackys
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2010, 12:20:10 PM »

Is Cheryl's last name Sweppy, if so that is the given email address for member Hipton.

I believe her last name is Sweppy so it must be her!
Dr Popper (aka Rob Palmer)

Offline Crakola Crayons

• 10+ years of homemades
  • "...I'll stop the world and melt with you..."
    • Martin's View (blog about music, TV, movies and comics)
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2010, 05:49:15 PM »
I believe her last name is Sweppy so it must be her!

Yes, her last name is Sweppy.  She is one of my Facebook friends as well.
My blog on music, comics, film and more - Martin's View - http://mcmaenza.blogspot.com/

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
  • Take a "BITE" out of life!
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 05:54:11 PM »
Yes, her last name is Sweppy.  She is one of my Facebook friends as well.
I just recently met Cheryl (Hipton) and she is a very nice girl, I look forward to seeing her again soon, hopefully she will be a the next show!
"Treat others the way you like to be treated"

Offline HeadAndBoulders

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2010, 06:34:40 PM »
I wish I could have met her when I was in Ypsilanti back in October.

Taz

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2010, 07:09:09 PM »
Gary & Ron, come on up to Sandusky on the 25th & 26th (I'll be at Kalahari) and I'll buy a round or two and paste a few wackys.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2010, 09:02:50 PM »
Gary & Ron, come on up to Sandusky on the 25th & 26th (I'll be at Kalahari) and I'll buy a round or two and paste a few wackys.
Hey Brother! Thanks for the offer but Sandusky is about a 5 hour drive for me, I wont be able to make it, I think it would only be about a 3&1/2 hour drive for Gary.

wackyone

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »
not 2 be a dik but wow,stick to the topic guys,use PM's
a whole page of chit-chat,the topic is Old School 2 remember?

anyway,i'm amped about the 2nd series but i just hope they stick with the program and don't fill it with extra "bonus' stuff.All that stuff really took away from series itself and overshadowed the cards themselves.

Offline MoldRush

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2010, 09:32:33 AM »
Agreed - lots of sketch card hysteria, which really took on a life of its own.  But I our adult, short-attention-span minds will tend to look past a 33-title series pretty quickly, no matter how good it may be.

Offline RonZombie

• (AKA)"Ron of the Dead"
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2010, 01:18:10 PM »

anyway,i'm amped about the 2nd series but i just hope they stick with the program and don't fill it with extra "bonus' stuff.All that stuff really took away from series itself and overshadowed the cards themselves.

Sorry about that...Old School 2 is gonna ROCK!!! :o

Taz

« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2010, 09:14:19 PM »

We now return to our scheduled broadcasting. Darn, I forgot to PM you on this!

Offline NEZHEAD42

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 07:20:03 PM »
Does anyone else remember Cheese Kisses? A cheese food product made by Borden or Kraft (I am leaning towards Borden) in the 1970's. Little balls of (I guess) processed cheese food. Just loved them. Came in a bag like shredded cheese does now. They were individually wrapped snacks, like Hershey's Kisses, hence the name.

Offline Jean Nutty

« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2010, 09:13:52 AM »
I was mentioning to Sue Mee Kris recently I don't think I've ever seen an Almond Roca parody.
It's a classic Old School product many of us grew up with (and still enjoy), and with a goofy name like that, there should be some good gag potential.
[expando]http://www.rainycity.com/northwest-foods/almond-roca/almond-roca-42-ounce.jpg[/expando]
I did find one parody here.
http://monthlydoos.com/store/product61.html
Look at these other Wacky Package style products I found on the same site - I think this is a very cool find!
I'm really glad I did an image search on Google before I posted this - being obsessive occasionally pays dividends.
http://monthlydoos.com/store/product63.html
http://monthlydoos.com/store/product64.html
http://monthlydoos.com/store/product65.html

Offline sco(o)t

• Looking:Postcard Ser4 BUGWEISER Smokin' Joe sketch
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2010, 08:07:24 PM »

Hey Taz, I was born in Sandusky and still have may relatives there. We try to get back there every 2 or 3 years for our Cedar Point fix. Do you hail from there are just visiting?
aka Scot Leibacher (no trademark)